Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,916 members, 7,799,095 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 03:12 PM

Growing Up As A Pickin: - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Growing Up As A Pickin: (1182 Views)

Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories / Life Growing Up As A Kid In Nigeria:- Funny Things You Did, Lets Hear Them. / Growing Up Abroad: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Growing Up As A Pickin: by jchaguri: 8:56am On Jan 20, 2009
I was just doing some really deep thinking this morning,now imagine this.If at this exact time i am writing this note,all Nigerians are asked to line up according to how rich/wealthy they are,from Borno state which is one end of the country to Lagos state another,after the Aliko Dangote's,the Mike Adenuga's
and all the billionaires in Nigeria we dont know about,then the millionaires,then the "thousandniers" have all lined up, i probably will be in Lagos,or say between Badary and Seme Border,then my dad would probably be between Togo and Ghana,now dont laugh,because it is true,then if it was decided that all
Nigerians who landed outside the country after the line up were no longer Nigerians and they are all shipped of to say a country like Niger or Burkinafaso,hmmm, anyway in truth that will not happen, but with style "dem go pursue poor man comot for Lagos finish"true word! have you seen former Oshodi
market,or come to my area see how bulldozer clear people house chei! It is not as if it is wrong,nopes,i mean commend the man Fashola he is doing a great job,I even heard he offered to give transport money to those who can no longer survive in Lagos make dem take go village,Hilarious shey?but face it,wetin all of dem dey do for Lagos(As if i be Lagosian).
Anyway i hear people complain of poverty,well Technically,I wasn't born poor sha,but i have some experiences,for instance i did not get to go to an amusement park until I was 16 years,as if that was not enough,I remember one time when i was in the polytechnic,school was about to resume,and i had to go inform my elder brother that i was going back,so he could give me some pocket money,his office was one of those bank high rises on Marina street in Lagos Island,where you had to use the elevator,so i walk up to the receptionist and ask of my brother and she tells me,he is on the 27th floors,I asked her which way,and she pointed to the elevator,I walked towards it,apart from seeing them in movies,i had never seen one in real life,let alone entered it.I stepped inside the elevator,only me and no one else,and the doors closed,Gen gen!!! see wahala, many bottons i no know which one to press,i just stood there for like 5 minutes until the door opened again and i ran out as if i was being chased by a mad dog,God forbid,because of pocket money make man no go die put for inside lift o!!!so i'm out of the elevator and in the lobby,where i hung around for like 10 minutes,before one guy came around looked at the elevator and took the stairs,so, sheepishly i follow the bros,na so i begin my journey o,by the time i had reached the top of the 20th stair,i was on the 10th floor,Chinekeme!!! na die i dey so, i managed to continue,when i got to the 27th floor,my elder brother was away on official assignment(no cell phones then,dont ask me why i did not call),I was sweating like Oladipo Diya when he was caught in a botched coup attempt.Na so i run another 27 floors down o,when i got home,people when dey carry iroko tree better pass me.
Well being poor thought me so many things,like eating rice and Ogbono soup,you ever tried it?please do,also i learned to get to Ojuelegba from Mile2 without paying a dime(when u get into the molue,be sure to stand at the front of the molue when the conductor ask's for his money point behind,then
wait,before he collects from other passengers and gets back to you,make sure you get down,continue like that and you will get to Ojuelegba no qualms).
Some were born with Golden spoon,others silver spoon,I was born with no spoon at all,just my bare hands,and those hands were made specifically to mold eba (see me were i roll eba in small balls before sending them through my oesophagus,it's an art on it's own),and blow my way through the streets,yes o!My own even good sef,i mean i was born with my hands and feeding bottle,some people were not even born with feeding bottle,you doubt me?okay checkout all this yoruba women in my area when feeding their pickin,na so dem dey force akamu put for the pickin mouth,dem go close the pickin nose,as the pickin try open mouth to breath Gbam!hot akamu for him mouth o kai!na so the pickin go dey cry dey chop.
All these experiences molded the man i am today,i am glad i went through them,but i no pray make my children stay the kind area when i grow,
Re: Growing Up As A Pickin: by Nobody: 3:12am On Jan 27, 2009
I find your post very interesting and admittedly funny.

I can't pretend that my background is similar but I have a lot of respect for people who can laugh at themselves and who don't get bogged down with how they started in life or get arrogant because of where they now find themselves.

I forwarded your post to my brother because we share almost the same sense of humor and I knew he'd enjoy it.
Re: Growing Up As A Pickin: by tpia: 5:00am On Jan 27, 2009
Re: Growing Up As A Pickin: by jamace(m): 6:35am On Jan 27, 2009
grin grin grin I like the post, brother. It is a true life experience of most of us. Thank God we are getting to somewhere. We shall make it by God's grace cool cool.
Re: Growing Up As A Pickin: by Nobody: 10:31am On Jan 27, 2009
I asked her which way,and she pointed to the elevator,I walked towards it,apart from seeing them in movies,i had never seen one in real life,let alone entered it.I stepped inside the elevator,only me and no one else,and the doors closed,Gen gen!!! see wahala, many bottons i no know which one to press,i just stood there for like 5 minutes until the door opened again and i ran out as if i was being chased by a mad dog,God forbid,because of pocket money make man no go die put for inside lift o!!!so i'm out of the elevator and in the lobby,where i hung around for like 10 minutes,before one guy came around looked at the elevator and took the stairs,so, sheepishly i follow the bros,na so i begin my journey o,by the time i had reached the top of the 20th stair,i was on the 10th floor,

when i got home,people when dey carry iroko tree better pass me.

When I read this, laughed so loud that my colleague beside me(already used to my NL-induced LOL) said ''the company is wasting money on you''.
Re: Growing Up As A Pickin: by Tgirl4real(f): 3:55pm On Jan 28, 2009
;d ;d ;d
Re: Growing Up As A Pickin: by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jan 29, 2009
@ poster
i couldnt stop myself from laughing when i read ur post. i finally did some thinking, what you said is true, those experiences sure moulded one, i had my own share of them, i wasnt born with any spoon either, we were comfy somehow (at least we went to leventis every afternoon with mum or dad on our way home from primary school), but men, the pranks i played with all those hausa boys back then in tudunwada, zaria (those days are gone forever), from stealing frogs from one unsuspecting fisherman, (abi na froggerman) and selling them to some youruba women, setting up traps for adults and watch them fall into it while we laughed our heads off, running little raiding parties into sugarcane farms, playing street football every evening and most exicting of all, going to our area mosque to take siesta after having a field day on saturdays, una know how the place sabi cool (i be christian o!, but who gave a hoot back then).
most times i find myself thinking about those long gone days, there were pure fun, i dug dirt, eat trash sometimes, but i learned and i was made the person i am today cos of those days, smiley

(1) (Reply)

The 7 Wonders Of Nigeria – ‘the Nigerian Woman’ / 7 Best Strategies Nigerians Can Use In Trading In Ghana And Not Be Caught / Nigrt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.