Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,787 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:35 PM

Music Review: It’s Hard, It’s Political, It’s Hip Hop…it’s ‘dictator Rap’! - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Music Review: It’s Hard, It’s Political, It’s Hip Hop…it’s ‘dictator Rap’! (619 Views)

Nairaland Rapper; Navas Releases His Debut Hip-hop Mixtape / A Nairalander Drops A Hot Hip Hop Song / Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Music Review: It’s Hard, It’s Political, It’s Hip Hop…it’s ‘dictator Rap’! by nhop: 5:56am On Mar 25, 2015
Someone had to do it, someone had to speak up in the face of all these election politicking going on. Who else to leave it to other than these SDC affiliates.….and this they did so impeccably, with a highly impressive song of almost 5 minutes of lyrical assault!

We have been served some of the best and hardest hitting, politically charged, hip-hop bars in Nigeria this year by the trio of Lex, Mojeed and Tec of the Show Dem Camp Clique, with Kid Konnect manning the boards.

Not too much surprise though, given it comes from the stable of the SDC affiliates, a pool of talents who have never failed to deliver ill rhymes since they made their name as a group. They always hold it down, they’ve always held hip-hop down.

They have shown they ain’t afraid to be politically conscious with their messages on this one. They have indeed pushed the boundary in an industry filled with most of our artistes now serving as political pawns, and what a statement they have made!

So many bars, you can lose focus while trying to digest the punches as they come, on a beat filled with trumpet-like brass and strings.

The first verse was taken by Lex and he opened the song with a barrage of bars, so much you can hardly breathe while trying to catch the bars. Lex implores us to “Arise O’compatriots” in his verse opening, and we can only hope his colleagues listen to him. After he has implored us to exercise patience with our revolution process in the country with the line; “when we are trying to build this nation/please have some patience”, he goes on to tell us “a word is enough for the wise/but I didn’t come here to preach/ I’m just a messenger/here to give some strength to the weak”.

He goes on to deliver the politically motivated gem: “I’ve been through the struggle/I pray/my pain deep in this beat/we live in the jungle/these harsh conditions leave me in piece/R.I.P Ken Saro-wiwa/this my freedom of speech/elections approaching/dead bodies litter the streets”………whooooooop!

He then goes on to ask a truly mind-boggling question, albeit rhetorically: “my fellow Nigerians/when can we live in some peace/have trust in the government/and faith in police?”, before ending his incredibly outstanding verse with “Ojukwu state of mind with no ‘days in the east’/Awolowo reborn/with a passion of Zik”.

Just three solid ‘Gbosas’ for Lex……total annihilation!!!

Second verse by Mojeed was as authoritative as real rap can get, with yoruba-lines dropped in-between, boy did he chew the beat!

His verse, after several impressive lines, has the ironic, semi-rapid flow rhyme lines( while actually saying he doesn’t rap to rhyme): “I’m tryin’ to be the kinda rapper y’all wanna analyse/far as mastermind/’cos I’m a raptor/I don’t rap to rhyme”

He rounds off by saying “I’m droppin’ songs that’ll make your label drop you off”…if only our labels appreciate real talents.

Tec takes the last verse, his offering was both inspirational and with subtle shots aimed at the industry sell-outs. He wonders if he would do same if he were in their shoes, as he doubts his leadership qualities with the line: “so maybe I’m a saviour too/guy when i hit the podium/will i say the truth?/maybe I’m a prophet or just doin’ it for profit/as I’m headed to the top/I need a change of view/’cos everyone around me is a ho’ now”.

He goes on to say: “if you focus on your future/you’ll attract status/powerful thoughts/move forward guy/no back-tracking/then the world is yours/the world is yours” , before he ends his excellent verse with “king Davies/watch me shine in all my splendour/babylon’s got a stronger gender/but there’s nothin’ they can do to the chosen/except to po-poke him/and hope he sells out too”….we definitely don’t want to see him sell out!

It is indeed a grand closing, so much we thirsted for more.

It is grand, it is raw, it is deep, and we look forward to more materials from this group of undeniable talents…Song cover is brilliant too!

We then imagine what could have been if Ghost(another monster in SDC) had a minute to drop his deep voiced, god-rap flow over the insane head-bobbing beat.

It is quite hard to pick the ‘best’ verse of the song, but after much listening and deliberations, we give it to Tec. Don’t worry about choosing a best verse though, just enjoy this hip-hop masterpiece!

We are never gonna forget this joint in a hurry….if at all we do!

Source: http://nexthop.com.ng/review-its-hard-its-political-its-hip-hop-its-dictator-rap/

(1) (Reply)

The Negligence Of Songwriting In Nigeria / Gp Splash / Martins Smooth Releases Cover Art For New Single

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.