Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,072 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:26 PM

Suffer No More As A Christian...these Are Secrets Of The Psalms!!!! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Suffer No More As A Christian...these Are Secrets Of The Psalms!!!! (7281 Views)

Why A Christian Girl Converted To Islam (Photo) / The Author Of The Psalms / Where To Buy The Secrets Of The Psalms Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Suffer No More As A Christian...these Are Secrets Of The Psalms!!!! by christopher123(m): 8:38am On Mar 25, 2015
In "Secrets of the Psalms," Selig's general theme is that of the power of "names," a mystical Jewish Kabbalist belief that by properly pronouncing and invoking certain names of God, of angels, and of demons, one's wishes will be executed. This notion is conjoined with a medieval tradition that holds that many of the Psalms, particularly those attributed to King David, contain within them "seed sounds" or hidden syllables which, when spoken aloud, will cause magical works to be accomplished. The important Medieval Jewish book "Shimmush Tehillim" ("On the Use of Psalms"wink probably formed the basis for his work, and explains why "Secrets if the Psalms" was subtitled "A Fragnent of the Practical Kabala."

The fact that Godfrey Selig considered himself a mystical Christian, not a Jew, is of little importance in the context of his compilation of Hebrew source material and his translation of it into German. "Christian Kabbalists" have been around since the 12th century, and Selig himself declared in his introduction that "the greatest and most genuine Kabbalists of the Jewish nation were nearly all followers and disciples of the the blessed Saviour of the world." (That this is not true is irrelevant; Selig, like many Christian Kabbalists, believed it and few Jews have sought to point out the error, for fear of persecution.)

The edition of "Secrets of the Psalms" that has been in circulation in English translation in the United States since the late 1930s or early 1940s seems to have been redacted by someone familiar with hoodoo terminology, for in the added headings to the first batch of Psalms there is reference to "crossed conditions," an African-American turn of speech meaning chronic bad luck. There is also evidence of poor copying, for mention is made of one "Rabbi Isaac Logria," a typographical garbling of the name of the celebrated medieval Rabbi Isaac Luria that is unlikely to have been made by Selig.

Among the many results that proper recitation of the specific Psalms will produce, according to Selig's sources, are release from prison, safe childbirth, business success, safe travel, help in court cases, removal of enemies, and overcoming evil. Some of the Psalms are embellished with special prayers to be recited, actions to be performed, or holy names to be called upon. The formula for the construction of the holy names involves an esoteric Kabbalistic letter-substitution method called "gematria" which Selig alludes to but does not explain in full.

Here are a few examples from Selig's book showing how the Psalms are used, My comments (in parentheses) indicate which words in each Psalm seem to have inspired these magical ascriptions:

Psalms for Making Peace between Husband and Wife
Psalms 45 and 46 -- Whoever has a scolding wife, let him pronounce the 45th Psalm over pure olive oil, and anoint his body with it, when his wife, in the future will be more lovable and friendly. But if a man has innocently incurred the enmity of his wife, and desires a proper return of conjugal love and peace, let him pray the 46th Psalm over olive oil, and anoint his wife thoroughly with it, and, it is said, married love will again return.
(Psalm 45 refers to anointing with "the oil of gladness" and to the "rejoicing" that occurs when the "glorious" daughter of the King of Tyre is brought before the King. Psalm 46 contains the words, "God is in the midst of her...God shall help her...He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the Earth."wink

Psalm to Make Your Home Lucky
Psalm 61 -- When you are about to take possession of a new dwelling, repeat this Psalm just before moving in, with a suitable prayer, trusting in the name of Schaddei, and you will experience blessing and good fortune. The letters comprising this name are taken from the words: Schimmu, verse 2, Ken, verse 9, and Jom, the last word of this Psalm. It should, however, be remarked, that both the last letters are selected according to the alphabetical order of Ajack Bechar.
(Psalm 61 contains the lines, "Thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy. I will abide in Thy tabernacle forever; I will trust in the covert of Thy wings." The reference to "the alphabetical order of Bechar" is obscure Kabbalistic in-fighting about variant rules of gematria which non-Kabbalists can safely ignore.)

Psalm for Safe Travel at Night
Psalm 121 -- Are you compelled to travel alone by night, pray this Psalm reverently seven times, and you will be safe from all accidents and evil occurrences.
(Psalm 121 opens with the line, "I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help."wink

Psalm for Severe Headache or Backache
Psalm 3 -- Whosoever is subject to severe headache and backache, let him pray this Psalm [...] over a small quantity of olive oil, [and] anoint the head or back while in prayer. This will afford immediate relief.
(Psalm 3 contains the line, "Thou, O Lord, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter of mine head."wink

Psalm for a Repentant Liar
Psalm 132 -- If you have sworn to perform anything punctually, and notwithstanding your oath you neglect to perform your obligation, and in this manner have perjured yourself, you should, in order to avoid a future crime of a similar kind, pray this Psalm daily with profound reverence.
(Psalm 132 contains the line, "The Lord hath sworn the truth unto David; he will not turn from it."wink

"Secrets of the Psalms" is an artifact of the mystical Jewish belief in the magical efficacy of the recitation of God's Holy Word. That this tradition was mined by a millennarian Christian German and brought to America where it became a magical receipt-book among the descendents of Africans is just "one of those crazy things" that makes life among the humans so interesting.

MY PEOPLE PERISH FOR LACK OF KNOWLEDGE

http://www.luckymojo.com/secretspsalms.html
Re: Suffer No More As A Christian...these Are Secrets Of The Psalms!!!! by An2elect2(f): 12:41pm On Mar 25, 2015
angry

2 Likes

Re: Suffer No More As A Christian...these Are Secrets Of The Psalms!!!! by Nobody: 1:15pm On Mar 25, 2015
An2elect2:
angry
no frown ur face too much, afterall dis is from the bible you guys use . I have the full book, though i don't use it- i'm more like a collector. White garment churches are the ones who mostly use this knowledge

2 Likes

Re: Suffer No More As A Christian...these Are Secrets Of The Psalms!!!! by An2elect2(f): 1:16pm On Mar 25, 2015
cupid1:
no frown ur face too much, afterall dis is from the bible you guys use . I have the full book, though i don't use it- i'm more like a collector. White garment churches are the ones who mostly use this knowledge
angry

1 Like

Re: Suffer No More As A Christian...these Are Secrets Of The Psalms!!!! by Nobody: 2:16pm On Mar 25, 2015
An2elect2:

angry
you shouldn't quote me if all you have to do is frown

1 Like

Re: Suffer No More As A Christian...these Are Secrets Of The Psalms!!!! by jom28gy(m): 3:16pm On Mar 25, 2015
How does it work?tell me the truth .

1 Like

Re: Suffer No More As A Christian...these Are Secrets Of The Psalms!!!! by Nobody: 4:05pm On Mar 25, 2015
jom28gy:
How does it work?tell me the truth .
well, the people who use it see it as the true way to gain favour before God. In some versions of the bible u might see names given to psalms such as ''a prayer of protection'' and other headings like that. So this book gives you the underlying rituals which are involved in making those psalms in the bible work in your life. Thats for those who believe those kind of shite shaa.
Re: Suffer No More As A Christian...these Are Secrets Of The Psalms!!!! by urheme: 4:55pm On Mar 25, 2015
Interesting,
Don't belief one can gain favour from God just by reciting some write up
Re: Suffer No More As A Christian...these Are Secrets Of The Psalms!!!! by Nobody: 5:22pm On Mar 25, 2015
urheme:
Interesting,
Don't believe one can gain favour from God just by reciting some write up
are you a christian ?
Re: Suffer No More As A Christian...these Are Secrets Of The Psalms!!!! by An2elect2(f): 5:30pm On Mar 25, 2015
cupid1:
angry kill me.
Re: Suffer No More As A Christian...these Are Secrets Of The Psalms!!!! by Nobody: 6:20pm On Mar 25, 2015
An2elect2:

angry kill me.
keep frowning, after you will start asking why guys are not approaching you, or why you look older than your mates
Re: Suffer No More As A Christian...these Are Secrets Of The Psalms!!!! by An2elect2(f): 7:08pm On Mar 25, 2015
cupid1:
keep frowning, after you will start asking why guys are not approaching you, or why you look older than your mates

grin angry
Re: Suffer No More As A Christian...these Are Secrets Of The Psalms!!!! by Nobody: 7:28pm On Mar 25, 2015
An2elect2:

grin angry
well, dis is the last time i'm going to quote you if you're going to keep frowning and i honestly hope you don't quote me again, i don't even know why i quoted you dis time
Re: Suffer No More As A Christian...these Are Secrets Of The Psalms!!!! by Nobody: 7:29pm On Mar 25, 2015
cupid1:

angry angry angry Good exercise for the face
Re: Suffer No More As A Christian...these Are Secrets Of The Psalms!!!! by Nobody: 7:31pm On Mar 25, 2015
I burnt my Bible 15 years ago
Re: Suffer No More As A Christian...these Are Secrets Of The Psalms!!!! by Nobody: 7:32pm On Mar 25, 2015
ifeness:

angry angry angry Good exercise for the face
hian, make una free me jhoor...una see me for dream ?
Re: Suffer No More As A Christian...these Are Secrets Of The Psalms!!!! by Nobody: 7:33pm On Mar 25, 2015
ifeness:
I burnt my Bible 15 years ago
so u're atheist ?
Re: Suffer No More As A Christian...these Are Secrets Of The Psalms!!!! by An2elect2(f): 7:38pm On Mar 25, 2015
cupid1:
well, dis is the last time i'm going to quote you if you're going to keep frowning and i honestly hope you don't quote me again, i don't even know why i quoted you dis time
grin grin This thread should be shut down. Its unhealthy for the sheep's spiritual growth. Its utter nonsense.
Re: Suffer No More As A Christian...these Are Secrets Of The Psalms!!!! by Nobody: 7:44pm On Mar 25, 2015
cupid1:
so u're atheist ?

I don't call myself that. I am from Venus,on your planet to watch how you guys limit yourselves a lot. Its been fun so far.
Re: Suffer No More As A Christian...these Are Secrets Of The Psalms!!!! by Misogynist2014(m): 7:48pm On Mar 25, 2015
ifeness:

I don't call myself that. I am from Venus,on your planet to watch how you guys limit yourselves a lot. Its been fun so far.
I don't think he's the one limiting himself, I think it's you who has failed to explore the metaphysical realm.
Re: Suffer No More As A Christian...these Are Secrets Of The Psalms!!!! by Nobody: 7:50pm On Mar 25, 2015
An2elect2:
grin grin This thread should be shut down. Its unhealthy for the sheep's spiritual growth. Its utter nonsense.
you're one of those people people who do not open their minds to the fact that some parts of the bible are either untrue or exagerrated. Even if i start listing out points to counter the bible from now till tomorrow, u still won't believe me
Re: Suffer No More As A Christian...these Are Secrets Of The Psalms!!!! by Nobody: 7:51pm On Mar 25, 2015
Misogynist2014:
I don't think he's the one limiting himself, I think it's you who has failed to explore the metaphysical realm.

What is metaphysical realm? Don't we explore it everyday? Consciously and unconsciously we all do
Re: Suffer No More As A Christian...these Are Secrets Of The Psalms!!!! by Misogynist2014(m): 7:51pm On Mar 25, 2015
An2elect2:
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupĂ­dity.
Re: Suffer No More As A Christian...these Are Secrets Of The Psalms!!!! by urheme: 7:52pm On Mar 25, 2015
cupid1:
are you a christian ?

Was raised a christian though, but i detaste religion, all of em

1 Like

Re: Suffer No More As A Christian...these Are Secrets Of The Psalms!!!! by Misogynist2014(m): 7:55pm On Mar 25, 2015
ifeness:

What is metaphysical realm? Don't we explore it everyday? Consciously and unconsciously we all do
What I mean is that you have failed to view the genesis of the universe beyond the scope of science.
Re: Suffer No More As A Christian...these Are Secrets Of The Psalms!!!! by Misogynist2014(m): 7:55pm On Mar 25, 2015
urheme:

Why?
Re: Suffer No More As A Christian...these Are Secrets Of The Psalms!!!! by Nobody: 7:59pm On Mar 25, 2015
Misogynist2014:
What I mean is that you have failed to view the genesis of the universe beyond the scope of science.

There is no genesis of the universe. There is no beginning nor an end. Existence is eternal what ever form we become.
Re: Suffer No More As A Christian...these Are Secrets Of The Psalms!!!! by urheme: 8:03pm On Mar 25, 2015
Misogynist2014:
Why?

They are too many, is either they are all right or they are all wrong, the probability that they are all wrong is more visible.
Re: Suffer No More As A Christian...these Are Secrets Of The Psalms!!!! by urheme: 8:03pm On Mar 25, 2015
Misogynist2014:
Why?

There are too many, is either they are all right or they are all wrong, the probability that they are all wrong is more visible.
Re: Suffer No More As A Christian...these Are Secrets Of The Psalms!!!! by Misogynist2014(m): 8:04pm On Mar 25, 2015
ifeness:

There is no genesis of the universe. There is no beginning nor an end. Existence is eternal what ever form we become.
How is there no beginning of the physical realm? Existence is not eternal because the energy from the sun is reducing every passing day, it surely must come to an end someday.
Re: Suffer No More As A Christian...these Are Secrets Of The Psalms!!!! by Nobody: 8:14pm On Mar 25, 2015
Misogynist2014:
How is there no beginning of the physical realm? Existence is not eternal because the energy from the sun is reducing every passing day, it surely must come to an end someday.

The Physical realm is not real. It is nothing but thoughts,our collective thoughts. We all created it together. You are what you think.

1 Like

Re: Suffer No More As A Christian...these Are Secrets Of The Psalms!!!! by Nobody: 8:16pm On Mar 25, 2015
urheme:

same with me, i was also raised as a christian. But along the line, i started thinking to myself, ''which God would we be serving if the white man hadn't brought christianity ?'', then i also checked the bible and also reaslised that most of the things there do not add up when scrutinised based on the knowledge which modern science has blessed us with. So i abandoned religion

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Are We Living in the End Times? / Does God Truly Exist? I Am Dumbfounded / Is Franklin Graham Freemasonry?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.