Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,528 members, 7,770,352 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 09:46 AM

How Long Does Green Card Application Processing Take ? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Long Does Green Card Application Processing Take ? (39449 Views)

20 Million Naira Or Green Card: Which Would You Choose? / Georgia Tourist Visa Application Processing / Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Long Does Green Card Application Processing Take ? by felifeli: 12:21pm On Jan 20, 2009
Can anyone who lives in US advise on how long on the average it takes to process green card application from beginning to end. I don't mean green card lottery cheesy but application from those who are already living in US . thanks
Re: How Long Does Green Card Application Processing Take ? by felifeli: 4:06pm On Jan 22, 2009
One would have thought this will be an easy one to answer from all the Nairalanders blowing Yankee grammar from US. smiley
Re: How Long Does Green Card Application Processing Take ? by Hauwa1: 5:35pm On Jan 22, 2009
18-24 months. since it is not lottery related green card, if anyone tells you it is below 18mon, forget it. the least 18. now pray your paper work not get messed up. . . like lost in transit  grin or messed up/loss at their various offices as they process it. yes it happens and to someone i know. it will prolong it to 2 or more years depending on how fast you were able to know there is a problem.

some states are easy though maybe 1year.

mind you if you filing other than through marriage or child filing for parent aha! that type is eternity. if your family member is filing for you, na very longggggggggggggggggggggggg wait. you will grow grey waiting grin
Re: How Long Does Green Card Application Processing Take ? by Magnate021(m): 6:02pm On Jan 22, 2009
you need to elaborate before u can get an accurate answer. are you applying  base on marriage to US citizen or green card holder? is your application base on employment or family sponsor? are u already in US or  applying outside US? more details will give accurate answers.
Re: How Long Does Green Card Application Processing Take ? by Hauwa1: 6:32pm On Jan 22, 2009
if you are applying base on marriage to a green card holder, em em that is another long wait. . . actually you can't file if you are married to a green card holder. the green card holder has to get his or her citizenship to be able to file for you.

like Mag said elaborate wink no cunny cunny to the ans my dear feli feli
Re: How Long Does Green Card Application Processing Take ? by K2: 7:44pm On Jan 22, 2009
*Hauwa*:

if you are applying base on marriage to a green card holder, em em that is another long wait. . . actually you can't file if you are married to a green card holder. the green card holder has to get his or her citizenship to be able to file for you.

like Mag said elaborate  wink no cunny cunny to the ans my dear feli feli

Actually that's a misinformation. A Green card holder could petition for their spouse and even unmarried children under 21. The only difference is that they'd have to wait for Visa number to become available. However, with a USC it's automatic. No wait for Visa number. Feli, unless you state your category, and may be your range, we might not be able to really assist.
Re: How Long Does Green Card Application Processing Take ? by felifeli: 8:08pm On Jan 22, 2009
K2:

Actually that's a misinformation. A Green card holder could petition for their spouse and even unmarried children under 21. The only difference is that they'd have to wait for Visa number to become available. However, with a USC it's automatic. No wait for Visa number. Feli, unless you state your category, and may be your range, we might not be able to really assist.

Thanks I already stated what I needed from my post , please read "from those who are already living in US" . Someone who is presently on work permit is processing Green Card and I just want to confirm for him what [b]average [/b]waiting period is. I think he lives in Florida or Georgia , but i don't think that matters. Thanks
Re: How Long Does Green Card Application Processing Take ? by K2: 8:53pm On Jan 22, 2009
felifeli:

Thanks I already stated what I needed from my post , please read "from those who are already living in US" . Someone who is presently on work permit is processing Green Card and I just want to confirm for him what [b]average [/b]waiting period is. I think he lives in Florida or Georgia , but i don't think that matters. Thanks
I don't know if anyone could really nail it down. It depends on a number of factors. Read here if you haven't. http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=0775667706f7d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=4f719c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD
Re: How Long Does Green Card Application Processing Take ? by felifeli: 9:13pm On Jan 22, 2009
K2:

I don't know if anyone could really nail it down. It depends on a number of factors. Read here if you haven't. http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=0775667706f7d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=4f719c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Thanks, but you are not listening to me , and I'd rather not read tons of pages that is why I am asking the question here for people who have done it before [/b]to answer .
Again I reiterate .[b]the person who has applied is already in US on work permit
, and I just want to confirm for him how long it might take on average. I am not asking for how long for dependant /relative but for the applicant .. Thanks again.
Re: How Long Does Green Card Application Processing Take ? by Hauwa1: 9:42pm On Jan 22, 2009
base on experience, if you have work permit (note that you are applying for immigrant visa) so they give you work permit while your gc is in proecess. now the wait once your work permit is grant could be 1 year. but in some state like lipsrsealed it may be less wink

the most important thing is keep your work permit up to date as you wait. if it is abt to expire and your gc is not ready, renew it. if you leave it to expire, you are in another problem. again am talking from my sis exp.

it is a long wait if someone with gc is filing for you!!! not necessary, oyinbo will tell you base on availability in their written code or something. but honestly, not a good thing or a good chance to take.
Re: How Long Does Green Card Application Processing Take ? by Hauwa1: 9:47pm On Jan 22, 2009
feli, how long it depends. some gc process are quicker than others. also some state are quick too. NYC is long!!

student, marriage, family, KB, lottery etc each starts by granting you work permit once you filed the gc forms. now the wait depends on who filed and which/state etc.

it is hard to explain as you did not state how the person is filing. we know you said the person is there and already has work permit but , undecided undecided
Re: How Long Does Green Card Application Processing Take ? by felifeli: 10:50pm On Jan 22, 2009
*Hauwa*:

feli, how long it depends. some gc process are quicker than others. also some state are quick too. NYC is long!!

student, marriage, family, KB, lottery etc each starts by granting you work permit once you filed the gc forms. now the wait depends on who filed and which/state etc.

it is hard to explain as you did not state how the person is filing. we know you said the person is there and already has work permit but , undecided undecided

I really don't know how much more information you need to answer this. The person has been there for 5 years on work permit and put in application and has been "fingerprinted" since about 16 months ago . If you don't have any idea thanks anyway.
Re: How Long Does Green Card Application Processing Take ? by felifeli: 9:34pm On Jan 24, 2009
Anyone else can help ?
Re: How Long Does Green Card Application Processing Take ? by cvibe: 10:21pm On Jan 24, 2009
@ poster.

It's best to visit their official website to find out as no one can tell you exactly how long it takes since everyone's situation or case is treated differently. An Applicant's circumstance may shorten or lengthen the time taken to process an application.
Re: How Long Does Green Card Application Processing Take ? by Nobody: 6:19am On Jan 28, 2009
felifeli:

Anyone else can help ?

With your rants about having travelled abroad blah blah blah and having relatives in the U.S, i would think you would have the answer by now. anofia.
Go to www.uscis.gov and you will get an idea of the processing times!!!
Re: How Long Does Green Card Application Processing Take ? by felifeli: 8:52pm On Jan 28, 2009
A-town:

With your rants about having travelled abroad blah blah blah and having relatives in the U.S, i would think you would have the answer by now. anofia.
Go to www.uscis.gov and you will get an idea of the processing times!!!

Haba chairman , you get job so ?  grin grin I ask simple question if you don't know the answer go your own way instead of giving me same direction that has been given several days ago so that you can be able to increase the number of your post on Nairaland by one. How desperate.
Re: How Long Does Green Card Application Processing Take ? by fs(f): 9:02pm On Jan 28, 2009
The answer is still it depends! I know someone that has been on a work permit for at least 6 years now and still doesn't have her green card. Her brother on the other hand got his in a year or so it seems. Not all employment based green card applications are the same. If you go to one of the websites someone gave you, you'll see that there are different categories based on things like the level of the degree, # of years of experience, etc. Basically USCIS is crazy.
Re: How Long Does Green Card Application Processing Take ? by felifeli: 9:17pm On Jan 28, 2009
Thank you; I have resolved this days ago. Best . smiley

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Lady Kicked Off Turkish Flight For Assaulting Air Hostess (Pics, Video) / Lawyer & His Uber Driver Stuck In Lagos Flood (Photos) / Owu Waterfalls – Kwara State (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.