Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:09 AM

Advice Please: Choice Of Carrer In The Health World - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Advice Please: Choice Of Carrer In The Health World (572 Views)

An Open Letter To The Minister Of Health - World Malaria Day / Need A Carrer Mentor / The Health Benefits Of The Plantain Leaf (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Please: Choice Of Carrer In The Health World by simba1: 3:02pm On Mar 25, 2015
Please I would really appreciate if anyone can put me through on the choice of carrer and institution. Please any volunteer? Preferably a mentor? Thanks
Re: Advice Please: Choice Of Carrer In The Health World by naijafresh: 3:22pm On Mar 25, 2015
Why don't you start by telling us your qualifications or what stage you are at in your education.
Re: Advice Please: Choice Of Carrer In The Health World by simba1: 4:04pm On Mar 25, 2015
naijafresh:
Why don't you start by telling us your qualifications or what stage you are at in your education.
Translocating Stage(Jamb).
Re: Advice Please: Choice Of Carrer In The Health World by naijafresh: 4:24pm On Mar 25, 2015
simba1:
Translocating Stage(Jamb).

Forgive my ignorance what does 'translocating stage' mean ?

If you are about to do JAMB you should have thought about possible careers by now as this influences your choice of subjects and application choices before filling out your form unless you haven't quite got there yet then i hope the little i have written below helps.

Medicine or Nursing
Dentistry
Pharmacy
Microbiology

I believe these are some of the popular healthcare courses in Nigerian universities and higher institutions, I'm not sure if there are degree programs in nursing in Nigeria as there are abroad as well. There may well be more courses not mentioned this is by no means a complete list.

Your choice depends on your academic ability and your drive, finances and where you see yourself in the next 5 and 10 years.

It is difficult to advise someone when you have no idea of their academic ability. If you are very intelligent, have a good academic record till date and confident of very high scores in JAMB you can consider medicine. High scores are required as it is very competitive with limited spaces as well as a mentally challenging course to study.

If you don't want to spend a long time training, are good with practical skills, communication and caring skills, don't like too much academic pressure or responsibility but would still like to a career healthcare you can consider courses like nursing. These however are not 'easy' courses and still require dedication and hardwork. They however do not require the level of academic achievement you may need to meet in courses such as medicine, dentistry, pharmacy etc.

If you don't like the hands on approach of medicine, nursing and dentistry you can apply for allied courses such as pharmacy and microbiology but i will impress on you that these allied professions are equally tasking if not harder in some respects as they require good analytical skills, self discipline and powers of deduction. Also gone are the days of little or no patient contact, they are now more hands on and actively involved in the management of patients etc.

So you can see the choice is wide and varied you have to look at your personal skills as well as academic ability as you have equally brilliant people in all fields..

You are also advised to visit hospitals and speak to people in various fields they are better suited to giving an in depth and personal perspective on their experiences and outlook

hope this quick summary helps kickstart the process
Re: Advice Please: Choice Of Carrer In The Health World by simba1: 5:02pm On Mar 25, 2015
@naijafresh. Pls, can we proceed in private via "fb"?
Re: Advice Please: Choice Of Carrer In The Health World by naijafresh: 5:08pm On Mar 25, 2015
simba1:
@naijafresh. Pls, can we proceed in private via "fb"?
Sorry dont do facebook but you can send me a PM on nairaland

(1) (Reply)

Ondo Mystery Disease: FG, WHO Confirm Methanol As Cause Of Disease / Are You Suffering From Skin Conditions? Is Nothing Working For You? / Man Lost 125 Pounds Subsequent To Seeing Himself In The Mirror.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.