Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,662 members, 7,801,914 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:45 AM

My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today (64604 Views)

Bull Wandering On Third Mainland Bridge In Lagos Today (Photos) / US Embassy Releases Statement On Nigerian Travel To US / Man Crushed To Death While Crossing Road In Lagos Today (graphic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by wildikeman(m): 2:41pm On Mar 26, 2015
pekeyim:
Getting a Visa isn't so hard
But if I were the VO i'll bounce you too.

You didn't sound genuine enough.

But u don't seem rich enough to be able to afford such frivolity of 2 weeks vacation in the US with an annual salary of just over 2 million , Plus u have a kid!!!

A Big No!!!
wats dis one saying

1 Like

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by Nobody: 3:14pm On Mar 26, 2015
AJOT99:
What a country!

D deterioration of Nigeria was in no way created by the present administration bt its an accumulation of several corrupt practices in d rank and file of government and non governmental agencies. If we don't change our attitude and behavior for a better Nigeria no single individual at d helm of affairs can bring change.

U and I need to change before we start chanting change all around.

However, I really pity d Op. Its really pathetic what our country has turned into. I dislike d attitude of these whites cos they see us as hopeless people bt I long to see a Nigeria where those abroad will long to come home. It begins with you!

GOD BLESS NIGERIA!

After 30 years I am longing to come home. Came home to marry 2 years ago, came home to buy land 2 weeks ago.

But the palava wey I enter with omo onile, area boys, thieving land agents, greedy sellers... ehn... you guys have a lot of work to do to entice us. Thank god for my resilience and good old fashioned Yankee genuity.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by GboyegaD(m): 3:17pm On Mar 26, 2015
Acidosis:
You have a decent job paying close to N200k/monthly.

Why do you want to burn your ANNUAL salary on a 3 week vacation to the US? What have you done; and where are you vacating to?

Will your 3 week visit to the US add to your CV? or increase your Salary in Nigeria?

Are you saying spending 3 weeks in the U.S. is equivalent to his annual salary? He's been denied and all we write here are just our opinions.
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by Royals1: 3:39pm On Mar 26, 2015
thank you everyone for ur contributions. Howeva d issue is every one wit his or her opinion. If am specific, pple will giv it as excuse for refusal, if am xplanatory, pple will say i talk too much as xcuse for my refusal. So its lies in God hand. As for d guy dt says i lie on invitation, if u will like to see it i will show it to u, only if u request sha, just like d VO did not ask for it. Every document of my cousin is with me but she neva asked about dem. Anoda thing dt i see again is travelling xperience which i dont have, it might be d reason for my refusal. But whocheva way, if u are fortunate thank God, if u are not struggle continue, its not a do or die, i ave my job here dt i can still survive with. I can reapply again someothe time.

1 Like

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by simdam500(m): 3:52pm On Mar 26, 2015
Op am sorry cry

I'll support the invitation method
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by thegreengooner(m): 3:57pm On Mar 26, 2015
The contributors who are seemed to be harsh on the OP are actually telling the truth.

igmatt2002:

Sorry about your denial! The key to getting your non immigrant visa to United States of America is your Ds - 160 form. They already know if you are qualified for a visa even before your scheduled interview day through the Ds - 160 form you filled and submitted prior to your interview. The consular officers don't know who you are but the little information given on the Ds - 160 form. You might want to consult a professional to guide you through when you decide to reapply perhaps after 200 days. Goodluck!

This is very correct.

Also, the point about spending nearly all your annual salary on a three week trip is valid. Build up travel history, demonstrate greater ties to Nigeria....
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by NovusHomo(m): 4:23pm On Mar 26, 2015
qbd2:

is dat true? i know bout invitation. but what if he wants to go as a tourist?

Lol. Nigerian asking for US visa as a tourist. Una no go kill pesin.

1 Like

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by hrykanu231(m): 6:50pm On Mar 26, 2015
Reaper231:

Probably we share somting in common!! !!! !

The yellow Mazda, I drove in Atlanta along with my GrandPa some years back. Guess we carried u too. Because the guy used the number ur using...pls do me a pm if ur the one

1 Like

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by unamama(m): 7:25pm On Mar 26, 2015
Royals1:
I thought it is when they ask of any documents (like invitation letter) that I will present it, but she neva ask of any document yet. First thing is just d questions, infact most applicants did not present doc, just d questions before any documents.
Howeva now I don't know where ny fault is.
in most cases, they look at your face to know if u r desperate about travelling out or not. once they sense any atom of u being despirate, they will deny u d visa. u must appear very calm to them. then, telling them u r going to visit your cousin remains unnecessary to them, whether with or without letter of invitation...
when I went for an interview with them, I behaved like I was forced to come for the interview. they saw on my face that I wasn't desperate and I need not convince them about avin d visa. reason is cos, someone shattered my morale that morning by telling me that I stand no chance of getting d visa, since its my first attempt. He gave me himself as an example that it was his 3rd attempt. but it actually helped me to appear to the vo as if I no longer need d visa, and d interview lasted for just 2mins. then d vo asked me to come back after 2 working days to get my passport.
funny enough, d vo never asked me for any document or evidence or statement of account or whatever u can call it. it was a pure oral conversation for 2mins.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by samael: 7:35pm On Mar 26, 2015
You were answering questions not asked,these guys at the embassy get iritated easilly,bear in mind they attend to quite a number of people amongs are nut heads that make them go nuts too.

VO:how long are u staying there
Ans: 2weeks. simple

VO: how much do u earn
Ans: 180k. simple

VO: Are you married?
Ans: Yes. simple

They don't like it when you want to create other questions for them.

God's command next time.
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by rallymento(m): 7:42pm On Mar 26, 2015
omo una get money ooooo. To travel go USA na like 450k for Lufthansa. Plus hotel accommodation and transportation for 2weeks na like 300k. Plus shopping things like anoda 300k. Nna menh! I will use that money and bring in 40ft container of used television and sell to for my Alaba shop!

1 Like

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by unamama(m): 7:42pm On Mar 26, 2015
Royals1:
thank you everyone for ur contributions. Howeva d issue is every one wit his or her opinion. If am specific, pple will giv it as excuse for refusal, if am xplanatory, pple will say i talk too much as xcuse for my refusal. So its lies in God hand. As for d guy dt says i lie on invitation, if u will like to see it i will show it to u, only if u request sha, just like d VO did not ask for it. Every document of my cousin is with me but she neva asked about dem. Anoda thing dt i see again is travelling xperience which i dont have, it might be d reason for my refusal. But whocheva way, if u are fortunate thank God, if u are not struggle continue, its not a do or die, i ave my job here dt i can still survive with. I can reapply again someothe time.

its not really about the travelling experience, I went to the embassy with a virgin passport that has UK's denial on it. but the vo saw it and never asked me anything about it. I av never travelled but I was given d visa. sometimes, its God's grace, I don't want to call it luck.

1 Like

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by unamama(m): 7:49pm On Mar 26, 2015
[quote author=muhamm3d post=32034832][/quote]
travelling agent or no travelling agent, the VO will deny u if he or she wants to deny u. will d travelling agent stand there with u? all my friends that consulted all sorts of travelling agents failed, as far as it the us embassy. I got mine and I never consulted any travelling agent.

1 Like

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by Nobody: 7:58pm On Mar 26, 2015
NovusHomo:

I don't understand what uve just said. Does that mean a nigerian can't travelto d us on a tourist visa?
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by unamama(m): 8:00pm On Mar 26, 2015
heryyy:
The same thing happened to me at first my first interview date was cancel due to there network and they re schedule me for another 3weeks, which was about a month ago.... almost identical question as the OP, here is my own version

Embassy: What are you going to do in the US

Me: I'm going for a 2 weeks holiday in Manhattan, New York

Embassy: Do you have any relatives in the US ?

Me: NO

Embassy: Where will you stay during your visit ?

Me: I have booked a 2 weeks confirmed / fully paid accommodation at so so hotel in Manhattan

Embassy: What do you do in Nigeria

Me: I work for so so Logistics Company as Senior Administrative Officer

Embassy: How much do you earn

Me: I earn 230k Per Month

Embassy: Are you married ?

Me: Yes i am married with 2 beautiful kids

Embassy: Scroll through my passports (I have 2 passports attached together one expired and the new passport was issued in London) and asked which countries i have been to

Me: I have been to Singapore, Malaysia, Cambodia and the UK (UK was a 4yrs student visa)

Embassy: I see you didn't make use of your Cambodia Visa, What happened ?

Me: I was going with a friend, we couldn't book the same flight so he went before me, i was to meet him 2 days after, he got there and 2nd day he was robbed, he called me to inform me its not safe so i cancel my ticket and didn't bother to visit the country.

Embassy: How long have you been working for your company

Me: 2yrs

Then she typed and typed then print out the almighty refusal letter and said i can reapply if i want

Now i think i understand why she refused me reading from experience people here

I think my answer was too straight forward and i applied alone leaving my wife and kids behind

Also at the time my bank statement balance was around 3Million Naira which ofcus she didnt bother to ask, meanwhile i have other business that fetch me money which i should have mentioned when she asked how much i earn

Do anyone believe i stand a chance if i reapply and correct the error i highlighted ?

Thanks.
yes u do. your previous travelling history shows u av a tie to your country. just make sure that when next u reapply, u av a strong reason for travelling. not for visiting this tym or for tourism. tell them u r probably going for your m.sc, I can assure u they will give u d visa.

1 Like

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by Reaper231(m): 10:31pm On Mar 26, 2015
hrykanu231:

The yellow Mazda, I drove in Atlanta along with my GrandPa some years back. Guess we carried u too. Because the guy used the number ur using...pls do me a pm if ur the one

At*kpa tstd. U r sighted

1 Like

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by Nobody: 10:43pm On Mar 26, 2015
NovusHomo:

What are you saying?

1 Like

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by Sagamite(m): 10:59pm On Mar 26, 2015
pendusky:

I am seeing a Nigeria where whites will be applying and turned down just like op for a visit!

Nigeria must be better!

Evidence that you are reetarded and mentally ill.

Continue hallucinating.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by kukuruku156(f): 1:13am On Mar 27, 2015
justwise:

I doubt.

grin shocked bros you can be funny in your own way.
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by guiddoti: 1:44am On Mar 27, 2015
Royals1:
This is my experience at US embassy in Lagos today. At window 1
VO: where are u going in Us
Response: am going to Chicago in illinios
VO: what are you going there for
Response: I want to visit ny cousin over there.
VO:how long are u staying there
Response: just for 2 weeks
VO: what do u do heere
Response: I work as a manager in a cleaning compaany
VO: how much do u earn
Response: 180k afta tax
VO: Are you married?
Response: Yes with a kid.
VO: have you travelled before?
Response: No.
VO: Put your fingerprint there.
VO: Thank you for coming you can re-apply some other time. Take this paper and read it thank you.
Response: thank you
I dont know if this is marginalisation or bilateral agreement, a chinese friend was given ten years visa.
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by guiddoti: 1:59am On Mar 27, 2015
pekeyim:
Getting a Visa isn't so hard
But if I were the VO i'll bounce you too.

You didn't sound genuine enough.

But u don't seem rich enough to be able to afford such frivolity of 2 weeks vacation in the US with an annual salary of just over 2 million , Plus u have a kid!!!

A Big No!!!
How do you mean? one cannot save enough money to travel for two weeks. I think green passport holder has query to answer consular. Its just too bad for genuine applicant to be denied without careful investigation.

1 Like

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by GatJokez(f): 3:47am On Mar 27, 2015
justi4jesu:

Not true, do you know how much foreigners pay to get Nigerian Visa to visit/work in Nigeria. I have seen so if you haven't seen, try not to conclude on what you are not sure about. Its your country so you would think it ain't didfficult, same way an American would think it isn't difficult to get a visit visa to visit his/her country.

Very true, I have been researching what it takes to apply for Nigerian visa as an American. They seem pretty strict with their visa requirements. For example, the applicant has to send a copy of flight itinerary to Nigerian embassy along with other requirements. How crazy is that? Why would I want to buy a plane ticket not knowing if I'll be approved or not. What if you're not sure about exact travel dates? So, yes, coming to visit your homeland is not easy either.

I think all countries that impose such strict visa and immigration laws are out of line. We are all human and should be able to travel and migrate how we want. I guess this would not benefit government pockets, huh.
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by GatJokez(f): 3:54am On Mar 27, 2015
MadCow1:

That is a lie..

Oyinbo dey suffer to get nigerian Visa o!

no not a lie... at least the US ones. undecided
Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by onatisi(m): 3:59am On Mar 27, 2015
Royals1:
your travel experience wasn't the problem ,na by force to go another country first? There are hundreds of ppl who gey visas on virgin passport. Secondly forget the issue of salary or not ,that point would have been valid if the vo asked for your bank statements and said the money wasn't enough,these vo don't have the luxury of time as ppl here think. They look at u and after 2 mins they have already made up their mind. The truth is it just wasn't ur day,your time will come .on the point of letter of invitation ,the vo didn't even ask for it !!!!! The VO didn't even look at it ,was the vo a lady? Maybe she had a bad night with her boyfriend,it seems immediately u entered the place she made up her mind. Most likely cause of ur refusal must be the way and manner you answered those questions , confidence is very important when facing these VOs ,look them in the eyes ,be bold and confident about what u are saying. The simple truth of it is you can never be scared of telling ppl who you are if truly you are who you claim to be . I will post a link about someone that got a visa on virgin passport while others with travel experience were rejected. www.nairaland.com/2215258/american-visa-last

1 Like

Re: My Experience At US Embassy In Lagos Today by techie(m): 6:58am On Mar 27, 2015
The us uses a points basee system. Even before they interview you they have already pre qualified or failed you.

The questions they ask you is for verification if yiu have pre qualified.

I have been rejected and also recieved visa and I could tell the difference

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Lady Trapped Under A Container That Fell On Her In Lagos (Graphic Pics) / Texas Man Dancing On Top Of A Moving Truck Dies After Hitting Overpass (Photos) / My experience in Bahrain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.