Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,166 members, 7,780,181 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:34 AM

Adopted - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Adopted (1740 Views)

Would You Return A Problematic Adopted Child? / If You've Not Receive Any Of These From Your Mom Trust Me, You're Adopted / WONDERS: Man Adopted Wife's SURNAME After Marriage. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Adopted by Royver(m): 11:20pm On Mar 26, 2015
“Next patient,” I yelled out as I stretched my cramped legs under the table to get some relief. I had seen quite a number of patients today and was beginning to get tired.

A middle aged woman in an attractive English-styled native attire walked in carrying a beautiful light skinned baby girl in her bosom. A cloud of expensive perfume followed her and in an instant my stuffy room was transformed into the sweet smelling nectar of spring. I sighed deeply, pleased already by this stranger who was about to pour out all her troubles to me. In as much as we are trained as doctors to ignore smells, mode of dressing and language issues of patients, it doesn’t hurt at all as a patient to appear in your very best. I guessed her age at late 30s, early 40s and even though the passage of time was etched in secret places on her pleasant face, it was obvious she was taking very good care of herself.

“What can I do for you ma’m?” I asked genially.

She smiled a little shyly and gestured at the infant who was looking up at us with wide and curious eyes.

“She has been vomiting and passing watery stool since yesterday.”

“Ah, already?” I frowned, “Aren’t you doing exclusive breast feeding?”

“Er, no.” she replied, looking a bit guilty.

“That’s the problem right there!” I began. “If you were breastfeeding this baby exclusively, she wouldn’t be exposed to germs from the water you use and she wouldn’t be having diarrhea now…”

She interrupted me abruptly, “Doctor, she’s not my child.”

I froze. It was like someone pressed the pause button on me. All my gesticulations, the mock frown on my face, the words that were still tumbling out of my mouth, everything came to a standstill.

“ She’s not your child?” I echoed like they do in those nollywood movies I like so much.

“She’s not my child.” The woman repeated with a gentle laugh. “I adopted her from the abandoned baby’s home near the market. Isn’t she lovely?”

“Yes she is, I mean she even resembles you!”I replied, still amazed that she could open up to me like this. It had crossed my mind that she was a bit matured to be having a child but it wasn’t such an uncommon occurrence so I had shelved the thought. Most ladies would hide the fact that they had adopted a child even though we had a tendency to find out sooner or later. Not this woman. She looked at the babe with such tenderness and love in her eyes that I found myself smiling sheepishly.

“I would like to run a full health check on her, doctor.” she continued. “We are travelling to Lagos before the election then from there I’m taking her to the United States…”

“You’ll need a visa for the baby you know,” I replied, to which she happily pulled out some documents for me from her handbag. Her joy was infectious.

“My husband works in immigrations and has a few contacts so it was relatively easy.”

I studied the documents. They were all legit.

“So…you have no kids of your own then?” I asked quietly. “I hope I’m not prying too much…”

“It’s okay doc,” she smiled and took a moment to tear her gaze away from the baby long enough to answer me. “I married late and then found out I couldn’t conceive. The gynaecologist said I have blocked tubes. While trying to work on that my menses came. We decided it would be best to adopt.”

“Oh, I see.” I replied a little awkwardly, but she laughed and turned back to the baby.

“Just think, someone didn’t want this bundle of joy and I’ve been looking for one all these years…she’s mine doc, all mine!”

I smiled as I looked upon her happy face. She was gazing at the child adoringly while the little baby simply gazed upwards and gurgled back in return. I soliloquized within myself as I stared curiously through the acquisition documents and began writing some laboratory tests and drug prescriptions; here was a baby whose destiny seemed uncertain at first, but who had by that same chance of fate had a silver spoon thrust into her mouth where not even a wooden one was before. Where nature’s biological mother had abandoned her, fate had provided her with someone who worshipped, adored and cherished her for everything she was and everything she was going to be.

The sky would be her limit.

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Adopted by zeb04(f): 11:25pm On Mar 26, 2015
Lovely.
Re: Adopted by cococandy(f): 11:36pm On Mar 26, 2015
smiley smiley so sweet.
Re: Adopted by write2obi(m): 11:41pm On Mar 26, 2015
Chukwudi my man! grin . My favorite writer grin

2 Likes

Re: Adopted by greatgod2012(f): 2:27am On Mar 27, 2015
I love this!
Kudos!
Re: Adopted by Nobody: 6:49am On Mar 27, 2015
It just has to be Royver. cool

Lovely!
Re: Adopted by slimyem: 6:55am On Mar 27, 2015
Fiction?
Re: Adopted by Nobody: 7:19am On Mar 27, 2015
Groovy!
Re: Adopted by Nobody: 7:30am On Mar 27, 2015
Cool
Re: Adopted by ttime(m): 7:35am On Mar 27, 2015
Beautiful
Re: Adopted by ladyju(f): 9:14am On Mar 27, 2015
Nice
Re: Adopted by Zehner(f): 9:22am On Mar 27, 2015
Royver again! Top notch writer! smiley

1 Like

Re: Adopted by Matthewbriggs(m): 1:54am On Apr 05, 2015
@royver sent you a mail.
Re: Adopted by Ice4jez(m): 7:35am On Jun 17, 2015
Royver when will u. Start diappoint us, ur stories are simple amazing. U need to start considering writing as a career .
Re: Adopted by enoqueen: 9:14am On Jun 17, 2015
So sweet.
Re: Adopted by soopamom: 1:56pm On Jun 17, 2015
i think you're an idiot for begining to castigate a mother for her choice to breastfeed or not without first finding out the reason. I also think youre are an idiot for pronouncing the said documents "legit" are you an immigrations officer? No doctor worth his salt would do that.having said that, i appreciate that this is fiction and i think you should learn to make your stories verifiable. the devil is in the details

1 Like

Re: Adopted by vonn(f): 1:52am On Aug 11, 2015
soopamom:
i think you're an idiot for begining to castigate a mother for her choice to breastfeed or not without first finding out the reason. I also think youre are an idiot for pronouncing the said documents "legit" are you an immigrations officer? No doctor worth his salt would do that.having said that, i appreciate that this is fiction and i think you should learn to make your stories verifiable. the devil is in the details
Crazy!
Re: Adopted by OHaddy(f): 10:22am On Aug 11, 2015
This is lovely
Re: Adopted by Pidggin(f): 11:54am On Aug 11, 2015
Awww sweet!
Re: Adopted by anthoniaz(f): 12:33pm On Aug 11, 2015
Awww! May God bless that woman richly.

(1) (Reply)

How I Brought Romance Back Into My Boring Marriage / See This Dad's Hilarious Reaction To The Inscription On His Son's Shirt / Sister Kills Brother Over Sugar Cane (disturbing Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.