Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,137 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:56 AM

Electricity Tariff Cut Not For Residential Consumers – NERC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Electricity Tariff Cut Not For Residential Consumers – NERC (1524 Views)

Federal High Court Voids Hike In Electricity Tariff, Fines NERC/DISCOS / Salary Cut Not Enough, PDP Tells Buhari / Electricity Tariff Cut Not For Residential Consumers – NERC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Electricity Tariff Cut Not For Residential Consumers – NERC by 2n2k(m): 3:55am On Mar 27, 2015
The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission on Thursday declared that most residential customers would not enjoy the benefits of the recent cut in electricity tariff.

According to the commission, most residential electricity consumers in the R1 and R2 categories did not experience any increase in tariff when electricity rates were hiked on January 1, 2015.

It said the increase on the first day of the year only affected industrial, commercial and high-end residential consumers, stressing that most people in the R1 and R2 categories would begin to pay increased tariffs from July 1, 2015.

The Chairman, NERC, Dr. Sam Amadi, gave the clarification at a meeting with members of the Electricity Consumer Association of Nigeria.

Amadi said, “Majority of the residential customers in the R2 and R1 categories did not experience the January 1, 2015 increase in tariff. They will not also see any reversal or reduction in tariff as the industrial, commercial and high-end residential consumers whose tariff were increased.

“It was a reduction based on the impact collection loss had on the tariff.”

NERC had two weeks ago announced the reduction in tariff by 50 per cent following what it called “bombardment of complaints” from customers who decried the increase that was announced earlier this year.

The NERC boss stated that the tariff reduction for the industrial, commercial and high-end residential electricity customers (R3 consumers), would become effective from this month.

“We have always tried to listen to complaints from consumers and operators alike and we carry out tariff reviews when necessary. We are a responsive and accountable regulator,” he said.

According to Amadi, the reduction in tariff was a decision reached in line with the commission’s business rules after consideration was given to protests from the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria on the implication of the January 1, 2015 increase on their businesses.

He stressed that NERC took the action because it saw that there was merit in the argument put forward by MAN that the increase would impact their businesses.

The President, ECAN, Mr. Chijioke James, said the group was at the commission to endorse the recent tariff reduction for some classes of electricity consumers.

“We have been very critical of NERC to see that consumers enjoy power supply, but it will be bad to see that a government agency has done something right and we fail to commend it openly,” he said.

James observed that ECAN needed the support of agencies like NERC and the Consumer Protection Council, among others, to enlighten consumers on the dangers of patronising sellers of fake electrical equipment as well as the need to imbibe energy conservation practices.

He stated that consumers expected improvement in response rate to complaints from service providers like the electricity distribution companies.

“We use this opportunity to urge NERC to encourage electricity distribution companies to improve their response rate in resolving complaints from consumers nationwide,” he added.
http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/electricity-tariff-cut-not-for-residential-consumers-nerc/

Imagine. Not only there will be no reduction but tariff for residential consumers will rather be increased from July 1.
Why did it take NERC two weeks to clarify the phantom slash in tariff.

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Tariff Cut Not For Residential Consumers – NERC by Nobody: 4:05am On Mar 27, 2015
Terrible!
Re: Electricity Tariff Cut Not For Residential Consumers – NERC by thankyouJesus(m): 4:06am On Mar 27, 2015
Just one more day for me to do the right thing.
Otuoke ----------->

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electricity Tariff Cut Not For Residential Consumers – NERC by Nobody: 4:09am On Mar 27, 2015
thankyouJesus:
Just one more day for me to do the right thing.
Otuoke ----------->
lol

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Tariff Cut Not For Residential Consumers – NERC by ziccoit: 4:25am On Mar 27, 2015
Everything about this government is a scam. Imagine.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electricity Tariff Cut Not For Residential Consumers – NERC by Nobody: 5:16am On Mar 27, 2015
It shall not be well with you GEJ

Your retirement come May is cursed!!

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Tariff Cut Not For Residential Consumers – NERC by Provie(m): 6:13am On Mar 27, 2015
I was in the so-called enlightenment meeting called by the Distribution companies in February after the tarriff increment had already taken off. The January increment was just over 100% (from about N22 per kWh to around N46). Everyone kicked against it as unrealistic.

The funny thing was that there was no public enlightenment before a 100% increase in tarriff; but a 50% reduction (in sharp response to the unrealistic increment) was widely circulated.

Citizens are just being scammed, left, right & centre.

1 Like

Re: Electricity Tariff Cut Not For Residential Consumers – NERC by Chiefpriest1(m): 6:13am On Mar 27, 2015
This stuupid NERC boss should be fired for taking Nigerians for a ride.

This was the same man that said the reduction was across board. I knew it was a political gimmick. What nonsense!

And he waited two weeks for a paper organisation to visit him before making any senseless clarification. Over 70 percent electricity consumers falls under r1 and r2, so what has changed? Absolutely nothing!

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Tariff Cut Not For Residential Consumers – NERC by Provie(m): 6:15am On Mar 27, 2015
May God heal our land.
Re: Electricity Tariff Cut Not For Residential Consumers – NERC by quixotic: 6:20am On Mar 27, 2015
i sincerely hope people see this government for what it is. Lacking of integrity and sincerity, why didnt he explain earlier? Because the government wanted to score cheap political point, nigerians do the right thing tomorrow or wait another 4years.

1 Like

Re: Electricity Tariff Cut Not For Residential Consumers – NERC by Nobody: 6:23am On Mar 27, 2015
And when they announced the cut they made it look like it was 4 everybody. People Decieving People. Tomorrow no far again.

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Tariff Cut Not For Residential Consumers – NERC by Nobody: 6:27am On Mar 27, 2015
I hate PDP/GEJ..

Reason?

They lie too much..lies is inborn with them.

Vote wisely,change is March28th.

3 Likes

Re: Electricity Tariff Cut Not For Residential Consumers – NERC by stinggy(m): 6:35am On Mar 27, 2015
Thank you for saying this on a day to Election
I barely enjoy 10hrs of light these days and now the bill is almost 2X the regular, making me resort to use of Generator. You can't even get fuel at the filling stations because of the queue, so I have to pay #200 at the black market.

This has to stop!
We will meet at the polling booth, johnny angry

#IHaveDecided

5 Likes

Re: Electricity Tariff Cut Not For Residential Consumers – NERC by AWONEYAN(m): 7:15am On Mar 27, 2015
Nigerians pls be wise !!!! This politicians beging you,kneeling down for you making you feeling like a king today are the same who will tell you " I don't give a damn " tomorrow. They give you dollars today and plan to starve you for the next 4 years again. Where were the promises mase after 2011 subsidy protest, where are the refineries? The transport subsidy. Pls for the sake of your unborn generation. Nigeria needs a change. Sentiment apart, its not about he is my tribe or religion. Its not about what my pastor or immam told me. Its not about who endorse who? Its about you. For me I have decided objetively. I prefer a Team led GMB (disciplne) and PYO (inteligent) to a team led by GEJ (corruption) and SAMBO (dullard)
Re: Electricity Tariff Cut Not For Residential Consumers – NERC by phlemzy: 7:21am On Mar 27, 2015
Nigerians Are Now Happy With Power Supply - Jonathan.
Oga Jona,the people in your cabinet tell you more of lies. Nigerians plan to kick you out because you have failed to discover those lies told to the masses.
Re: Electricity Tariff Cut Not For Residential Consumers – NERC by klas(m): 8:31am On Mar 27, 2015
This should make front page o o to inform everybody before people start attacking electricity officials next month when the so-called slash is expected to take effect.

@ Seun OAM4J Afam4eva Maclatunji Ikenna351 and Ngwakwe

1 Like

Re: Electricity Tariff Cut Not For Residential Consumers – NERC by NaijaOptimist: 8:42am On Mar 27, 2015
GEJ, sincerely you have overstayed.

look at the way these guy is scamming us.
embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Electricity Tariff Cut Not For Residential Consumers – NERC by sammyj: 8:48am On Mar 27, 2015
We all know all this government plocies is always for the elite and does not have human face. However, we will decide tomorrow if we want cluelesness or not !!!
Re: Electricity Tariff Cut Not For Residential Consumers – NERC by Ngwakwe: 8:49am On Mar 27, 2015
When will these ignoramuses stop disturbing the peace we have by magnifying their gullibility?

The hike in tarrif never affected private consumers but commercial and corporate consumers hence the return to previous billing template has nothing to do with the said group.
Re: Electricity Tariff Cut Not For Residential Consumers – NERC by 2n2k(m): 10:25am On Mar 27, 2015
Ngwakwe:
When will these ignoramuses stop disturbing the peace we have by magnifying their gullibility?
The hike in tarrif never affected private consumers but commercial and corporate consumers hence the return to previous billing template has nothing to do with the said group.

The initial announcement did not expressly state that private consumers would not enjoy it. It stated that it received contribution from ALL CLASSES of consumers before arriving at the reduction. Why should private consumers now assume that they were excluded? How many people know about consumer classification used by NERC?

1 Like

Re: Electricity Tariff Cut Not For Residential Consumers – NERC by MzJackBaueress(f): 10:28am On Mar 27, 2015
Jonathan-scamming Nigerians since 1487.

Change is coming soonest

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Tariff Cut Not For Residential Consumers – NERC by edogirl2: 2:33pm On Mar 27, 2015
This is a wicked govt, the like of which we have not seen for a long time.

Mr Jonathan cares not about the masses but he's happy to surround himself with oil subsidy thieves.

He must go.

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Tariff Cut Not For Residential Consumers – NERC by edogirl2: 2:35pm On Mar 27, 2015
Chiefpriest1:
This stuupid NERC boss should be fired for taking Nigerians for a ride.

This was the same man that said the reduction was across board. I knew it was a political gimmick. What nonsense!

And he waited two weeks for a paper organisation to visit him before making any senseless clarification. Over 70 percent electricity consumers falls under r1 and r2, so what has changed? Absolutely nothing!

By not clarifying initially, the PDP govt intended news of the price cut to misinform the public.

It's classic PDP deceit.

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Tariff Cut Not For Residential Consumers – NERC by tunex23: 2:40pm On Mar 27, 2015
Shine your eyes Nigerians

Re: Electricity Tariff Cut Not For Residential Consumers – NERC by Ngwakwe: 2:48pm On Mar 27, 2015
2n2k:

The initial announcement did not expressly state that private consumers would not enjoy it. It stated that it received contribution from ALL CLASSES of consumers before arriving at the reduction. Why should private consumers now assume that they were excluded? How many people know about consumer classification used by NERC?

The service providers increased electricity tarrif for commercial consumers including companies and corporations starting January, 2015 and the case was reported to the Presidency through the regulatory commission.

It took a month for the service providers to heed to the plea of Mr President on the need to support the industrial revolution by reducing the cost of doing business in Nigeria.

After extensive delibration, the parties agree to return to the previous price regime.

Private consumers were previously exempted from the new tariff and would have been included after first quarter starting April 1.

If you look at it from prosper perspective, private consumers have been shielded from 50% increase hence they also benefited.
Re: Electricity Tariff Cut Not For Residential Consumers – NERC by edogirl2: 2:55pm On Mar 27, 2015
Ngwakwe:

The service providers increased electricity tarrif for commercial consumers including companies and corporations starting January, 2015 and the case was reported to the Presidency through the regulatory commission.

It took a month for the service providers to heed to the plea of Mr President on the need to support the industrial revolution by reducing the cost of doing business in Nigeria.

After extensive delibration, the parties agree to return to the previous price regime.

Private consumers were previously exempted from the new tariff and would have been included after first quarter starting April 1.

If you look at it from prosper perspective, private consumers have been shielded from 50% increase hence they also benefited.

You still have not addressed the key issue.

1. Why was the original price - cut announcement portrayed to be accross the board.

2. Why did it take probing journalists to force this latest 'clarification' from the NERC.

It's all political deceit intended to put this dubious govt in good light in the lead up to elections.
Re: Electricity Tariff Cut Not For Residential Consumers – NERC by Reptyle(m): 3:00pm On Mar 27, 2015
Ngwakwe:

Oga go and sleep and stop calling your head an ignoramus joor!!! angry angry angry

I live in Satellite Town serviced by the Eko Disco and since January, I have been receiving ridiculously inflated bills for the 1 hour every 3 days power they supply. The trend even led to a recent peaceful protest by some residents in the area angry

If you have not been receiving those crazy bills then speak for yourself and stop insulting our intelligence and sensibilities please.

When I heard the news of a 50% reduction, I jokingly told someone it was an election gimmick that would be reversed as soon as the elections are over. How strange that it took NERC 2 weeks plus to clarify the category of people that will enjoy the so-called 50% reduction.

Mtcheewww!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electricity Tariff Cut Not For Residential Consumers – NERC by Ngwakwe: 3:04pm On Mar 27, 2015
edogirl2:

You still have not addressed the key issue.

Why was the original price - cut announcement portrayed to be accross the board.

Why did it take probing journalist to force this latest 'clarification' from the NERC.

It's all political deceit intended to put this dubious govt in good light in the lead up to elections.

Read the comment you quoted very well.

By April 1, 2015, private consumers would have gotten their 50% increment which will no more be effective.

It never took any probing journalist to reveal anything. I explained this very issue immediately the deal was struck.
Re: Electricity Tariff Cut Not For Residential Consumers – NERC by Ngwakwe: 3:11pm On Mar 27, 2015
Reptyle:

Oga go and sleep and stop calling your head an ignoramus joor!!! angry angry angry

I live in Satellite Town serviced by the Eko Disco and since January, I have been receiving ridiculously inflated bills for the 1 hour every 3 days power they supply. The trend even led to a recent peaceful protest by some residents in the area angry

If you have not been receiving those crazy bills then speak for yourself and stop insulting our intelligence and sensibilities please.

When I heard the news of a 50% reduction, I jokingly told someone it was an election gimmick that would be reversed as soon as the elections are over. How strange that it took NERC 2 weeks plus to clarify the category of people that will enjoy the so-called 50% reduction.

Mtcheewww!!!

Stop quoting my comments if you are not here to learn.

Ridiculous increase in estimated consumption is different from cost per energy consumed.

Secondly, most residential buildings are mistakenly (by hook or crook) billed as commercial which is abnormal and should be corrected by simple procedure.

If your building is categorised as commercial then you will definitely see 50% reduction forthwith.

(1) (Reply)

. / EFCC Goes After Ex Gov Modu Sheriff Over N300bn Borno Funds, Set To Detain Him / Muhammadu-buhari-president-elects-may-29-pronouncements-will-shock-nigerians-apc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.