Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,456 members, 7,808,629 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:29 PM

Jonathan Asks Court To Set Aside Order Barring Soldiers From Elections - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Asks Court To Set Aside Order Barring Soldiers From Elections (1608 Views)

Jonathan Asks Makarfi, Sheriff To Step Down Over PDP Crisis / Boko Haram Members Killed By Army As They Tried To Attack Soldiers From Sambisa / Boko Haram Attack In Niger Kills 30 Soldiers From Niger & 2 From Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Asks Court To Set Aside Order Barring Soldiers From Elections by Slynonny(m): 6:35am On Mar 27, 2015
lagos—President Goodluck Jonathan, has asked
the Court of Appeal, sitting in Lagos, to set aside
the Federal High Court order, which restrained
him from deploying soldiers to assist the police in
providing security during the general elections,
which is starting tomorrow across the country.
The judge at the lower court, Justice Ibrahim
Buba, had in the suit by a House of
Representatives member, Femi Gbajabiamil held
that the President cannot deploy soldiers without
the National Assembly’s approval.
Other respondents in the suit were the Chief of
Defence Staff, the Chief of Army Staff, the Chief of
Air Staff, the Chief of Naval Staff and the
Attorney-General of the Federation. President
Jonathan through his counsel, Deacon Dele
Adesina, SAN, in the appeal, is praying the
appellate court, to dismiss the judgement of the
lower court in its entirety for lack of merit.
Jonathan in his six grounds of appeal is
contending the lower court’s decision did not
represent the state of the law, “particularly his
lordship decision regarding the validity of the
originating process is not correct.” Adesina
faulted the lower court’s reliance on the recent
election petition appeal relating to the issue of the
deployment of troops, which was yet to be
pronounced upon by the apex court.
He is contending that trial judge erred by
“dismissing the objection filed by the 1st and 6th
defendants and assumed jurisdiction when he
held that the plaintiff sought and obtained leave
to issue and serve the originating summons
outside Lagos State, when indeed the grounds of
the objection was non-compliance with the
provisions of Section 97 of the Sheriff and Civil
Process Act.”
He argued that by virtue of the “Provisions of
Section 97 of the Sheriffs and Civil Process Act,
every writ of summons for service out of the state
in which it was issued shall in addition to any
other endorsement or notice required by the law
of such state have endorsed thereon a notice
indicating that the originating process is to be
served out of the state and in which state it is to
be served. It is settled law that compliance with
the provision of Section 97 of the Sheriffs and
Civil Process Act is mandatory.”
According to him, the trial judge erred in law
when he assumed jurisdiction and proceeded to
enter judgment when indeed, he lacks the
jurisdiction to do so. He argued that the
originating process having failed to comply with
the mandatory provisions of the Sheriff and Civil
Process Act was not issued according to due
process and therefore, incompetent and liable to
be struck out.

“A competent court cannot sit on an incompetent
suit. The law is settled that where a court lacks
jurisdiction, its proceedings no matter how well
conducted and its judgment or orders are a
nullity,” he argued. Another ground of the appeal,
it that the trial judge erred when he held that the
plaintiff had the plaintiff at the lower court had
the requisite locus standi to institute the action,
as it was a matter of public litigation.
On the particulars of this ground, he said “The
Plaintiff is the Minority Leader in the House of
Representatives who had canvassed thse same
arguments and reliefs on the floor of the House of
Representatives and lost to the majority. The
members of the House of Representatives are
elected by the citizens to represent their interest
and having lost to the majority decision in the
House, he has removed this matter from the
purview of public interest litigation. The appellant,
therefore, wants the court to set aside the
judgement of the lower court, or in the alternative,
dismiss the entire suit for lack of merit.

www.vanguardngr.com/2015/03/jonathan-asks-court-to-set-aside-order-barring-soldiers-from-elections/
Re: Jonathan Asks Court To Set Aside Order Barring Soldiers From Elections by SeverusSnape(m): 6:37am On Mar 27, 2015
I support the use of soldiers.
Anybody who opposes this can go to hell!
So they want people to be killed like it happened last time? No way!... NO TAKING OF CHANCES THIS TIME AROUND.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Asks Court To Set Aside Order Barring Soldiers From Elections by temitemi1(m): 6:40am On Mar 27, 2015
GEJ TILL 2019!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Asks Court To Set Aside Order Barring Soldiers From Elections by Nobody: 6:42am On Mar 27, 2015
Yeah,they willbe useful

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Asks Court To Set Aside Order Barring Soldiers From Elections by Slynonny(m): 6:44am On Mar 27, 2015
Yeah Soldiers must be deployed.
Agents of darkness(APC) can cry me lagoon.
GEJ till 2019.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Asks Court To Set Aside Order Barring Soldiers From Elections by Nobody: 6:45am On Mar 27, 2015
Ekitigate can't happen in this election oga presido.

If you like,deploy Mossad for security,we have decided..

Sai-buhari.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Asks Court To Set Aside Order Barring Soldiers From Elections by DesChyko: 6:53am On Mar 27, 2015
Are these people stupid?
With the violent idiots up and down and this bomb threats from the insurgents, they're still playing with the idea of not utilizing military men at the elections?
Chai.. How greed for power has blinded some he-goats (and she-goats).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Asks Court To Set Aside Order Barring Soldiers From Elections by DesChyko: 7:00am On Mar 27, 2015
Yomieluv:
Ekitigate can't happen in this election oga presido.

If you like,deploy Mossad for security,we have decided..

Sai-buhari.

Question 1:In one sentence, distinguish between a C4 and TNT.
Question 2: What is the dominant feature of an undercover insurgent?
Question 3: A card reader failed at a poll station dominated by Fulani herdsmen. Describe the resulting scenario and your response.

You have two minutes.

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Asks Court To Set Aside Order Barring Soldiers From Elections by Ngwakwe: 7:05am On Mar 27, 2015
SeverusSnape:
So they want people to be killed like it happened last time? No way!... NO TAKING OF CHANCES THIS TIRE AROUND.

Their rigging machines are operated by tugs and fake/compromised Police Officers hence any attempt at stopping them means their Waterloo.

Remember, APC sent fake Osun State corp members and monitors to rig the last Anambra State's guber election

Don't be deceived the Military will be on the city roads and highways to enforce no movement and any attempt to intimidate voters.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Asks Court To Set Aside Order Barring Soldiers From Elections by olatade(m): 7:14am On Mar 27, 2015
PDP needs our forgiveness not our Vote!!! PDP should apologies to Nigerians for: mismanagement of subsidy founds, ASUU strike, power failure, broken promises, amnesty program failure, unemployment, insincerity, imposition of leaders, corruption, fuel scarcity, lack of basic social amenities, insecurity, and many more.... Vote wisely. We all should be begging GMB to rule us. Vote GMB

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Asks Court To Set Aside Order Barring Soldiers From Elections by Slynonny(m): 7:50am On Mar 27, 2015
olatade:
PDP needs our forgiveness not our Vote!!! PDP should apologies to Nigerians for: mismanagement of subsidy founds, ASUU strike, power failure, broken promises, amnesty program failure, unemployment, insincerity, imposition of leaders, corruption, fuel scarcity, lack of basic social amenities, insecurity, and many more.... Vote wisely. We all should be begging GMB to rule us. Vote GMB
Wow this news must have been very painful to your hearing.
Pls take it easy before you run mad enter market.
Once a failure always a failure.
Hell Rufai the short devil said it that Mallam Buhari is perpetually unelectable.
Tinubu......no pls don't come close with your mouth odour,tinubu said it that Mallam Buhari is too old to rule Nigeria.
But today they are all agent of darkness(APC).
My guy abeg help me call that Mallam that is passing by.
Mallam Buhari someone is calling you.
Mallam Buhari shey u get am for polish ba?
Yoo wah i get am flenti flenti.
Oya polish my shoes am late for work.
Oga kawo kwudi.
I'll pay you once your done.
Kai Oga me i no understand that english fa,u pay me i polish shoe.
Mr Man are you daft or what?
Kai oga make i no call me for draft i no sabi play draft.
Illiteracy is a disease.
Pls Mallam Buhari go back to School.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Asks Court To Set Aside Order Barring Soldiers From Elections by dunkem21(m): 7:58am On Mar 27, 2015
This thing go pain APC well wella that they will cry again to ICC cheesy

And for your information, No movement from 8am morrow ..tell ICC!
Re: Jonathan Asks Court To Set Aside Order Barring Soldiers From Elections by wisolf(m): 7:59am On Mar 27, 2015
R
Re: Jonathan Asks Court To Set Aside Order Barring Soldiers From Elections by Nobody: 8:05am On Mar 27, 2015
The use of soldiers during election will only award GEJ a case at ICC.

APC has set a trap for him

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Asks Court To Set Aside Order Barring Soldiers From Elections by Slynonny(m): 8:18am On Mar 27, 2015
Segeggs:
The use of soldiers during election will only award GEJ a case at ICC.

APC has set a trap for him
Stop crying my dear.
Re: Jonathan Asks Court To Set Aside Order Barring Soldiers From Elections by dealslip(f): 8:24am On Mar 27, 2015
No single Nigerian should say a word against the president, if Almajiri kills anyone in the north tomorrow. Do those pot bellied, drunk policemen look like people who will provide security against Almajiris and Insurgents planning to bomb polling units tomorrow. People opposing the use of army are from the South and have never heard a single bomb blast in their life. While I do not support PDP or APC, I cannot bear that lives may be lost, if there is no proper security. We may not like the president but we don't have to criticise every single move he makes. Closing borders and using army is geared towards keeping you safe and a credible election preventing foreigners from voting and causing mayhem in Nigeria. You should also frown at the fact that immigration officers will be there to screen foreigners. Be objective for once.
Re: Jonathan Asks Court To Set Aside Order Barring Soldiers From Elections by ozoigbondu: 8:25am On Mar 27, 2015
Soldiers has already been deployed this is just to make the deployment lawful

say no to election violence and fraud or you will be used as target dummy

Fellow Nigerians we implore you all to troop out this saturday in droves and

J=Join
O=Other
N=Nigerians
A=Achieve
T=Transformed,
H=Healthy,
A=Adorable
N=Nation

Let the transformation contuine.......GEJ till 2019

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Asks Court To Set Aside Order Barring Soldiers From Elections by Nobody: 8:44am On Mar 27, 2015
It makes sense to use soldiers.

The violence in naija is too much.

If there is violence now, na jona dem go still blame.
Re: Jonathan Asks Court To Set Aside Order Barring Soldiers From Elections by Burger01(m): 9:10am On Mar 27, 2015
SeverusSnape:
So they want people to be killed like it happened last time? No way!... NO TAKING OF CHANCES THIS TIME AROUND.
temitemi1:
GEJ TILL 2019!!!

Robots! Why are you guys this inflexibly servile?. Una be slaves?

Tomorrow, the d-day for your uncontrollable wailing. Just tomorrow smiley

Re: Jonathan Asks Court To Set Aside Order Barring Soldiers From Elections by SeverusSnape(m): 9:16am On Mar 27, 2015
Burger01:

Robots! Why are you guys this inflexibly servile?. Una be slaves?

Tomorrow, the d-day for your uncontrollable wailing. Just tomorrow smiley
Hehehehehehehehehehe.... Nice meme. Make another one please grin
Re: Jonathan Asks Court To Set Aside Order Barring Soldiers From Elections by Burger01(m): 9:18am On Mar 27, 2015
SeverusSnape:

Hehehehehehehehehehe.... Nice meme. Make another one please grin
Hehehehehe, deal with that one for the time being. You better decamp before it's too late. And oh, try keep your Bp under checks mate cheesy

Sai Buhari Joor
Re: Jonathan Asks Court To Set Aside Order Barring Soldiers From Elections by SeverusSnape(m): 9:22am On Mar 27, 2015
Burger01:

Hehehehehe, deal with that one for the time being. You better decamp before it's too late. And oh, try keep your Bp under checks mate cheesy

Sai Buhari Joor
Try check your brothers who would want to kill if Jonathan wins, because I know you guys are blood thirsty savages.
Re: Jonathan Asks Court To Set Aside Order Barring Soldiers From Elections by Burger01(m): 9:26am On Mar 27, 2015
SeverusSnape:

Try check your brothers who would want to kill if Jonathan wins, because I know you guys are blood thirsty savages.
Blood thirsty! That's your emblem guys. It only requires modicum of common sense to thrash you pigs at your games. cheesy
Re: Jonathan Asks Court To Set Aside Order Barring Soldiers From Elections by SeverusSnape(m): 9:29am On Mar 27, 2015
Burger01:

Blood thirsty! That's your emblem guys. It only requires modicum of common sense to thrash you pigs at your games. cheesy
It only requires the Nigerian Army to deal with extremists like you at your games. Buhari supporters are the epitome of fanatism and illiteracy.
Re: Jonathan Asks Court To Set Aside Order Barring Soldiers From Elections by Burger01(m): 9:33am On Mar 27, 2015
SeverusSnape:

It only requires the Nigerian Army to deal with extremists like you at your games. Buhari supporters are the epitome of fanatism and illiteracy.
Tomorrow is the d-day bruh. Buhari, my bubu, will win and nada will happen. Heaven won't fall bruh, life goes on and those corrupt politicians and thievers will skidaddle like their lives depend on it. Corrupt bunch of enemies of progress cheesy

Sai Buhari
Re: Jonathan Asks Court To Set Aside Order Barring Soldiers From Elections by SeverusSnape(m): 9:37am On Mar 27, 2015
Burger01:

Tomorrow is the d-day bruh. Buhari, my bubu, will win and nada will happen. Heaven won't fall bruh, life goes on and those corrupt politicians and thievers will skaddle like their lives depend on it. Corrupt bunch of enemies of progress cheesy

Sai Buhari
**waiting for the illiterate terrorist to cry again**
As demonstrated in the picture below.

(1) (Reply)

BUHARI Polls Highest Number Of Votes In Ondo State / Niger Governor Concedes Defeat. Calls Opponent,no Response. / Ignore Boko Haram? Protect Cattle Rearers Buhari Orders Military.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.