Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,248 members, 7,780,512 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:42 PM

EMBEDDED SYSTEMS Tutorial For Beginners:#include <module4.h> Experiments 1 & 2 - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / EMBEDDED SYSTEMS Tutorial For Beginners:#include <module4.h> Experiments 1 & 2 (3463 Views)

Embedded Systems Tutorial For Beginners:experiment 3( Led Chaser And Rgb Led) / EMBEDDED SYSTEMS Tutorial:#include <module3.h>software And Hardware Tool Needed / Embedded System Tutorial For Beginners #include<module1.h> (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

EMBEDDED SYSTEMS Tutorial For Beginners:#include <module4.h> Experiments 1 & 2 by guassian: 6:48am On Mar 27, 2015
MODULE 4: EXPERIMENTS 1-5

Welcome again to my tutorials for beginners. In this tutorials, we will be designing hardware on proteus and as well as writing simple programs. We will import the software to the hardware on proteus just to test and see how it works before we implement. And we are going further to implement it on breadboard. These experiments will get you started on the real thing; I can assure you that you will gain a lot. If you have any question, don’t hesitate to ask. We will be writing programs also but I cant start taking the basics of C programming language now but as I go on, I will try as much as possible to explain some things you need to know. It will help you a lot if you can pick up an ebook on embedded C programming and read, then you can as questions here if you don’t understand.
If you are just joining this tutorial and you are a beginner, please read from the introduction https://www.nairaland.com/2175195/embedded-systems-future-electronics-computer or join the previous tutorial https://www.nairaland.com/2195254/embedded-systems-tutorial-include-module3.h

We will be doing 5 experiments:

Experiment 1: Flashing led, buzzer and creating a square wave oscillator
Experiment 2: Power-up delay/ Power on alarm(aka Nepa buzzer)
Experiment 3: Multiple outputs/ led chaser/ RGB led
Experiment 4: Traffic light system
Experiment 5: Introduction to 7 segment display system

Due to the fact that i was blocked several times by Nairaland antispam bot and i am still trying to figure out what I am doing wrong, for the meantime the full text of this tutorial Expertiment 1 is in the doc file attached to this post proteus DSN file, CCS C souse code and Hex file is also attached to the RAR file. Sorry for the inconveniences

Experiment 2 will be posted soon on this thread. Watch out

Re: EMBEDDED SYSTEMS Tutorial For Beginners:#include <module4.h> Experiments 1 & 2 by guassian: 7:05am On Mar 27, 2015
More circuit and pictures...

Experiment 1 led flashing breadboard implementation.

Re: EMBEDDED SYSTEMS Tutorial For Beginners:#include <module4.h> Experiments 1 & 2 by guassian: 7:24am On Mar 27, 2015
More pictures on the implementation

Re: EMBEDDED SYSTEMS Tutorial For Beginners:#include <module4.h> Experiments 1 & 2 by guassian: 7:36am On Mar 27, 2015
Don't hesitate to ask questions if you have.
Re: EMBEDDED SYSTEMS Tutorial For Beginners:#include <module4.h> Experiments 1 & 2 by ade2008(m): 2:06pm On Mar 27, 2015
kudos to you. please compile all these information as an eBook for people to download . it will be useful especially when working offline.
Re: EMBEDDED SYSTEMS Tutorial For Beginners:#include <module4.h> Experiments 1 & 2 by Fulaman198(m): 3:53pm On Mar 27, 2015
Very nice job you deserve a reward
Re: EMBEDDED SYSTEMS Tutorial For Beginners:#include <module4.h> Experiments 1 & 2 by Davidbanky(m): 7:41am On Mar 29, 2015
I am interested, hopefully I can present one of these for approval in my project ...
Re: EMBEDDED SYSTEMS Tutorial For Beginners:#include <module4.h> Experiments 1 & 2 by guassian: 2:27am On Apr 06, 2015
Davidbanky:
I am interested, hopefully I can present one of these for approval in my project ...
yea sure! you are free to do that...
Re: EMBEDDED SYSTEMS Tutorial For Beginners:#include <module4.h> Experiments 1 & 2 by guassian: 4:12pm On Apr 07, 2015
EXPERIMENT 2: POWER-UP DELAY/ POWER ON ALARM
Overview: the second experiment for this series of tutorial is the power-up delay which can also be modified for another purpose which is the power ON alarm also known as “Nepa buzzer”. The function of a power-up delay system is to create a delay for your device or appliance when power is restored. Why do you need to create a delay for you device to receive power? This is to make sure that the power is clean before your sensitive device taps from the power. When PHCN just restore power or you just switch ON your generator, there are many appliances that taps power at the same time and thereby creates a voltage transient which causes power surge or power sag etc that makes the power not to be clean at that point in time until some few seconds when everything is stable.
However, sensitive devices especially medical equipment can get damaged when they get such unclean power so the delay system is needed to ensure that the power is the power is stable before connecting to it. Modern surge protector and voltage stabilizers have this function. The reason why it is essential to connect a fridge or freezer to a stabilizer and enable the delay is that when there is a power outage, the gas tends to return to the compressor. So power should not be restored immediately but be left for some minutes before connecting. A refrigerator, AC or fan uses motors which needs starting current which is about 4 times the running current, and there are times when you are using a generator to power two refrigerators and probably a big typhoon fan also, all tries to start at the same time when you change over thereby causing is a power sag or the generator circuit breaker trips off. This is because the two refrigerators and fan draws 4 times their power at the start so a delay circuit is needed for one of the fridge and the fan so as to allow one to startup and allow the power to be stable before the others start. The power up delay system is created by using a time delay relay, the time delay is easily created by a Microcontroller and can be increased and decreased easily without changing the hardware of the circuit.
As for the power on alarm, there are times you will need an audible alarm to know when mains or PHCN power is restored especially when you are using generator. This alarm is expected to sound continuously for some seconds and then stops until another power failure and restoration before it sounds again.

Continued in the doc file attached to this post

The source code, hex file and Proteus simulation file is also attached to this post

Re: EMBEDDED SYSTEMS Tutorial For Beginners:#include <module4.h> Experiments 1 & 2 by guassian: 8:09pm On Apr 08, 2015
Re: EMBEDDED SYSTEMS Tutorial For Beginners:#include <module4.h> Experiments 1 & 2 by Fulaman198(m): 7:18am On Apr 09, 2015
Another well done impressive guide. I love it.
Re: EMBEDDED SYSTEMS Tutorial For Beginners:#include <module4.h> Experiments 1 & 2 by JavaPrince1(m): 11:42am On May 12, 2015
Keep up the good work bro.
I found it hard to walk through the tutorials but now I am done doing so.
The thing I had always wanted to do was to be able to write embedded code and test on virtual instrument before flashing my physical circuit with the code.
I want to enroll for an embedded course using MPLAB, Protus and Pickit2 though the price is too high for me to comfortably afford.
I just want to know what to expect from this course I'm about to enroll in.
I want to learn how I can model real life circuits with code so that I will be able to work as an embedded engineer.
Re: EMBEDDED SYSTEMS Tutorial For Beginners:#include <module4.h> Experiments 1 & 2 by guassian: 9:10pm On May 16, 2015
JavaPrince1:
Keep up the good work bro.
I found it hard to walk through the tutorials but now I am done doing so.
The thing I had always wanted to do was to be able to write embedded code and test on virtual instrument before flashing my physical circuit with the code.
I want to enroll for an embedded course using MPLAB, Protus and Pickit2 though the price is too high for me to comfortably afford.
I just want to know what to expect from this course I'm about to enroll in.
I want to learn how I can model real life circuits with code so that I will be able to work as an embedded engineer.

This is a very good thing for u to do. Knowledge is power, i dont know the price you want to pay but i know it worth it.

The reason i am doing tutorial here is to put beginners through and to be there to answer any questions that they may have oncerning embedded systems.

The simple truth is that u can learn it without paying money to anybody. You just pay to subscribe to internet and pay your time in studying and pay your ego to ask questions about what u dont know and pay your patience.
Re: EMBEDDED SYSTEMS Tutorial For Beginners:#include <module4.h> Experiments 1 & 2 by JavaPrince1(m): 10:44pm On May 16, 2015
guassian:

This is a very good thing for u to do. Knowledge is power, i dont know the price you want to pay but i know it worth it.
The reason i am doing tutorial here is to put beginners through and to be there to answer any questions that they may have oncerning embedded systems.
The simple truth is that u can learn it without paying money to anybody. You just pay to subscribe to internet and pay your time in studying and pay your ego to ask questions about what u dont know and pay your patience.
Okay I got you. I even have an arduino uno board and playing with it and LCD has been fun.
I programme the board with my android phone.
But were to ask the questions and get answers for free online is not so easy.
Re: EMBEDDED SYSTEMS Tutorial For Beginners:#include <module4.h> Experiments 1 & 2 by guassian: 7:43am On May 18, 2015
Woow, thats a good start. Arduino is open source so u can get a lot of answers to your questions online. You can also get various libraries for various peripherals and that makes code development much more easier for a starter

1 Like

Re: EMBEDDED SYSTEMS Tutorial For Beginners:#include <module4.h> Experiments 1 & 2 by JavaPrince1(m): 6:08pm On May 18, 2015
guassian:
Woow, thats a good start. Arduino is open source so u can get a lot of answers to your questions online. You can also get various libraries for various peripherals and that makes code development much more easier for a starter
Yea thanks. Even my lecturers mavle at what I have been doing with the UNO board. But I dont really need to focus on arduino for my projects. I need to know how to write assembly or C/C++ codes that can directly access the registars of the hardwares I will be programming.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: EMBEDDED SYSTEMS Tutorial For Beginners:#include <module4.h> Experiments 1 & 2 by guassian: 8:32pm On May 18, 2015
JavaPrince1:
Yea thanks. Even my lecturers mavle at what I have been doing with the UNO board. But I dont really need to focus on arduino for my projects. I need to know how to write assembly or C/C++ codes that can directly access the registars of the hardwares I will be programming.

This is impressive. Keep it up bro. Knowing assembly language to access the interbal register of the hardware is not really necessary in this modern day embedded systems. It is synonymous to using command prompt to do some computer configurations. Most of the modern microcontroller are C or C++ compiler optimised, so u can do without assembly.

You can still learn a little about it just to know it but i bet u wont need it so much. My little advice is Concentrate on C and C++.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: EMBEDDED SYSTEMS Tutorial For Beginners:#include <module4.h> Experiments 1 & 2 by AAinEqGuinea: 9:23pm On May 18, 2015
Good work everyone.. cool

I'll post my projects to step this thread up.
Re: EMBEDDED SYSTEMS Tutorial For Beginners:#include <module4.h> Experiments 1 & 2 by JavaPrince1(m): 6:38pm On May 19, 2015
guassian:

This is impressive. Keep it up bro. Knowing assembly language to access the interbal register of the hardware is not really necessary in this modern day embedded systems. It is synonymous to using command prompt to do some computer configurations. Most of the modern microcontroller are C or C++ compiler optimised, so u can do without assembly.

You can still learn a little about it just to know it but i bet u wont need it so much. My little advice is Concentrate on C and C++.
Thanks bro.
Exactly what I am looking for is how to know what I am doing on the code level so that I can focus on algorithm dedigns of firmwares.
I am just seing some powers of C/C++ over java in terms of hardware level control.
I want to be embedded with passion.
Re: EMBEDDED SYSTEMS Tutorial For Beginners:#include <module4.h> Experiments 1 & 2 by Savotech: 6:15am On May 21, 2015
JavaPrince1:

Thanks bro.
Exactly what I am looking for is how to know what I am doing on the code level so that I can focus on algorithm dedigns of firmwares.
I am just seing some powers of C/C++ over java in terms of hardware level control.
I want to be embedded with passion.

Practice makes u perfect
Re: EMBEDDED SYSTEMS Tutorial For Beginners:#include <module4.h> Experiments 1 & 2 by Davidbanky(m): 6:30pm On Apr 20, 2016
guassian:
Experiment 3 is here:

https://www.nairaland.com/2244503/embedded-systems-tutorial-beginners-experiment

good day @ guassian, i sent you a mail, please i will be expecting ur response soones, thanks

(1) (Reply)

How To Create New Gmail Account - Www.gmail.com Login / Social Media Marketing Guide (Free Ebook) / Nexus 50 Inch TV Review

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.