Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,271 members, 7,780,607 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:31 PM

Photos: Things To Check As First Time Car Buyers - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Photos: Things To Check As First Time Car Buyers (1356 Views)

5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know / My Advice To Car Buyers / First Time Car Buyer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Photos: Things To Check As First Time Car Buyers by AutosBay(m): 8:11am On Mar 27, 2015
Tired of carpooling, waiting for your friends to pick you up, the exorbitant taxi fares and the horrid Nigerian transportation system? You know its time to buy your own car. This is a very fun time for many people, especially first time buyers just after they secure a driving licence. All you imagine doing is driving down the city streets in your car, bumping to your favourite tracks and yes, for the young men, the looks and compliments they get from the ladies, especially if your car is sleek. Well, buying your first car, brand new or used is not as easy as just walking into any car lot and buying your car. With buying a car for the first time, there are a few things one has to check before purchasing that vehicle. These things are not necessarily faults or dents on the car, but checks we have to make regarding ourselves in terms of finances and vehicle needs. We have written an article on which type of car to buy, so after that choice is made, you have to know what to look out for when going to buy. Our suggestions might result to you not purchasing your selection, but would make you know what else you need to consider.

Re: Photos: Things To Check As First Time Car Buyers by AutosBay(m): 8:12am On Mar 27, 2015
Identify your transport needs – Do you travel long distances and carry a lot of cargo? You might consider buying an SUV, CUV or a Mini-van. If you go ahead and purchase a coupe or a mid-size saloon car, you might cause more damage to the vehicle due to the amount of luggage you put inside, or not have enough space for all your luggage. Yes, we all want the sleek ride which stands out from the crowd, but sometimes, we just have to realise what we really need.

Re: Photos: Things To Check As First Time Car Buyers by AutosBay(m): 8:13am On Mar 27, 2015
Have a realistic budget – Yes, we have mentioned this point in the previous article regarding which type of car to buy, but when it comes to buying your first car, you do not want to buy a car which will give you any issues or headache, but at the sametime you also want a car which won’t make you go bankrupt. Look for a reasonably priced car which falls within your budget, that will not affect your other basic needs such as accommodation, feeding expenses as well as the “every other Friday hang out” expenses and many more. Also, as much as I do not support taking loans to buy cars, the banks have these repayment schemes which assist vehicle buyers purchase expensive cars, and the repayment schemes would not be horrid.

Re: Photos: Things To Check As First Time Car Buyers by AutosBay(m): 8:14am On Mar 27, 2015
Have a monthly “car allowance” – Yes, your car also needs an allowance. A car is not an investment, neither is it a liability, but your car will take from you, more than it would give. Although unlike children who you can send to buy groundnut and wash the dishes, your car would provide similar facilities by taking you from point A to B in comfort. When determining the monthly allowance for the car, ensure that you are spending within your limit. Servicing would come either after every 5,000 miles or three months, so you have to set aside money for that. Also, there should be money to be spent on petrol every week, and probably taking the car to the car wash, unless you have the time to “Do It Yourself”, and miscellaneous expenses. We know, cars are like little children that should be taken care of always.
Prioritise your wants and needs – Everybody desires to buy a brand new car, no, a high end brand new car. For me, I would desire to purchase a brand new Mercedes Benz C-Class. But, I know I cannot afford that, and even if I could, a large chunk of that money could go into other investments like mortgage. Going for a less expensive car which is also efficient and comfortable as a first car is totally fine. Your first car does not need to be the best one. For a first car, you really need a vehicle which will convey you to the places you need to be, while focusing on other life plans.

Re: Photos: Things To Check As First Time Car Buyers by AutosBay(m): 8:16am On Mar 27, 2015
Locate a trusted and accredited dealer – After doing your research and finally decided on which car you need to buy, you then have to find out where you would buy it. Ask people who have bought cars before to make some recommendations where you could get a reasonably priced vehicle in excellent condition.

Take a test drive – This is the most important part of the entire process. Ensure that the vehicle is in tip top condition, with no faults. You would hardly have any complaints with brand new vehicles, but you should also take a test drive to know if you find the vehicle comfortable and you are satisfied with all the features and accessories it comes with.
Once you can go through these steps, you are finally ready to get your first car. Please, if you have any additions to this article, do not hesitate to share, by commenting below the articles. We would like to hear about your first car purchasing experience.

http://www.carmudi.com.ng/journal/things-to-check-as-first-time-car-buyers/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=NG_journal&utm_content=thingstocheckasfirsttimecarbuyers&utm_term=20150326

Re: Photos: Things To Check As First Time Car Buyers by lonelydora: 8:35am On Mar 27, 2015
Another nice topic from Autosbay.

2 Likes

Re: Photos: Things To Check As First Time Car Buyers by Nobody: 8:21pm On Mar 27, 2015
Permit me to add this:

If you're buying a used car (Nigerian used), ensure you go with your mechanic to run an inspection on the car, or better still, you can run an OBD scan on the car to check for vehicle issues.

(1) (Reply)

5 Things To Consider Before Buying A Second Hand Car In Nigeria / I Urgently Need A Complete Engine For Alfa Romeo 147. 2001 Model / What Is Turbo Charger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.