Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,505 members, 7,808,857 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:03 PM

Letter To My Son As We Head To The Polls Tomorrow - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Letter To My Son As We Head To The Polls Tomorrow (655 Views)

‘factors That Aided Apc’s Victory At The Polls’ - Tinubu's Aide, Dare, Reveals / Pics: Head-to-head Performance Of APC And PDP at The Polls / Why Buhari Wins All The Polls Online(opinion) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Letter To My Son As We Head To The Polls Tomorrow by muami(m): 9:38pm On Mar 27, 2015
LETTER TO MY SON AS WE HEAD TO THE POLLS TOMORROW:

My Dear Tekkyboy,
I know how much you dream to be the President of Nigeria someday. I recall with laughter how you used to insist that I call you Mr. President. I also recall your promise to make me one of your special advisers when you become president.

You can therefore understand why I'm writing you today about Presidential elections that will hold in Nigeria tomorrow. Obviously, you are not constitutionally eligible to contest now neither are you eligible to vote. Nevertheless, the elections should interest you as the outcome may significantly affect your dreams.

In this elections, we again face the old order in Nigeria where you must have been a coup plotter/beneficiary of a coup and must have held office in the past as a military head of state before you can make a good presidential material. This old order made us to elect a certain Obasanjo as President in 1999. It is also the reason why a certain Buhari is contesting tomorrow’s Presidential election.

As you know my son, coup plotting and military rule are no longer fashionable in most parts of the world, including Africa. This means that the chances of you becoming a coup plotter and a military head of state is very slim. As such, if we are to stick with the old order where you need to have been a coup plotter and military ruler, your chances of becoming the President you dream about will be very slim.

We also face a choice in this elections between the past and the present. On the one hand, we have a candidate who has had his opportunities in the past and has clearly passed his productive years. On the other hand, we have a candidate who is in his prime. Yes, he is not perfect, as no man is, but this is his time.

My son, I have always told you that you need to grow up in character and learning so that you can achieve you dream of being a President quickly. I also recall telling you countless times that you and your peers are the leaders of tomorrow. So I'm sure you’d be worried when you see some persons, including parents saying that we need to go to the ‘past’ to bring a seventy-something year old man to come and ‘change’ Nigeria.

I know how much this can affect your psyche and the psyche of many Nigerian children like you. This is because I know you’re smart enough to begin to imagine that that if a seventy-something year old wants to take your dad's 'today', then there is a possibility that your dad may want to take your ‘tomorrow’.

I want to however assure you that when I say you and your peers are the leaders of tomorrow, I actually meant it and so do many parents all over Nigeria. As the saying goes, actions speak louder than words. So, as I head to the polls tomorrow, I shall firmly put my vote where our mouth is. I shall reject the old order and the past which has the potentials to stifle your dreams and that of millions of Nigerian children.

My decision goes beyond the personalities of President Jonathan and his challenger Buhari. It is about you, my son. It is a vote to assure you that when I'm seventy-something and you are in your prime, I shall let you lead and have your ‘tomorrow’ we are talking about today. It is a vote to let you know that I shall not come to your ‘future’ to try to steal your ‘tomorrow.’ Whatever 'change' the country may need ‘tomorrow’, I'm sure you and your peers can make it happen. As for me, I shall be content in playing the advisory role you promised me.

So, tomorrow, by God’s grace, I shall vote for you, son. I shall vote to keep your dreams alive by voting for the candidate whose time is now!

Bye for now and talk to you later.
Your Dad.

1 Like

Re: Letter To My Son As We Head To The Polls Tomorrow by Topleague(m): 9:42pm On Mar 27, 2015
keep on deceiving yourself, the change is here already. sai .......buhari

1 Like

Re: Letter To My Son As We Head To The Polls Tomorrow by muami(m): 9:52pm On Mar 27, 2015
Topleague:
keep on deceiving yourself, the change is here already. sai .......buhari

When facts cannot be understand or countered, they resort to chants of "Sai Buhari".

(1) (Reply)

Disregard Osun Election-collation Is On Going / Surulere; Check Out The House Our New President Gen Buhari Was Born / Lagosians Go On Twitter To Say Dont Blemish Fashola/apc's Work.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.