Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,650 members, 7,801,896 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:23 AM

What Coming From A Single Parent Home Has Taught You - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Coming From A Single Parent Home Has Taught You (2716 Views)

What Is The Biggest Lesson Life Has Taught You? / Why You Shouldn't Marry A Lady Raised By A Single Parent / What It Is Like Coming From A Poor Background, And The Way To Succeed In Life. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Coming From A Single Parent Home Has Taught You by pickabeau1: 4:41pm On Apr 11, 2015
Owliver:
they never give a general perspective about this independence thing. Each to her own. being "independent" kills the idea of a "family" I think they need to come up wIth another term. Nice questions

I tire for the girl..lol
qbd2:

I've given pickabeau1 d assignment topic, u can copy from her

U can get simply explain what u meant
Re: What Coming From A Single Parent Home Has Taught You by pickabeau1: 4:42pm On Apr 11, 2015
Owliver:
they never give a general perspective about this independence thing. Each to her own. being "independent" kills the idea of a "family" I think they need to come up wIth another term. Nice questions

I tire for the girl..lol
qbd2:

I've given pickabeau1 d assignment topic, u can copy from her

U can just simply explain what u meant
Re: What Coming From A Single Parent Home Has Taught You by Owliver(m): 4:47pm On Apr 11, 2015
pickabeau1:

I tire for the girl..lol

U can just simply explain what u meant
if it's being independent in aspect of career that's understandable but in a family setting that's like a time bomb. Independence" and family" are two opposite words, like I said proper term and definition need to be done in this aspect. Good day
Re: What Coming From A Single Parent Home Has Taught You by 5minsmadness: 4:48pm On Apr 11, 2015
qbd2:

Haha, what made u arrive at such conclusion?

to be independent: everyone learns to be independent eventually. So I'm guessing your emphasis here was on 'early independence.' A child is supposed to be dependent on their parents. That's what makes him/her a child. Being with a single parent made you look out for yourself earlier than normal. Meaning you had to sort out some adult shit by yourself. That's tough on any kid.

_ to not be too crazy in loving : so you don't love with all your heart. Not necessarily a bad thing but you might have trust issues.

_to learn how to think like an adult at an early age
: same as independence, innocence lost cry

_[b] to not feel too pained by insults and stereotypes from pple around[/b]: Good adaptation response. People can be mean. They point their stubby little fingers and say: look at that kid, she's from a broken home. They even tease you about it atimes. You learned to develop a thick skin early on. Kudos.

_to plan a better marriage: Every one that comes from a dysfunctional home plans to have a better marriage. They secretly long for a normal family during their childhood and are obsessed with having the perfect marriage when their own time comes. It is same type of kids turned adults who do all they can to ensure their marriage never fails including accommodating all sorts of abuse and injustices. Because they despised their beginnings so much, they don't want to end up like their parents.

OK, I guess I went off point a bit. Different people adapt to situations in different ways. I'm glad you adjusted well and are looking forward to a perfect marriage. Work on the trust thing though. It has a way of coming out, no matter how hard you try to hide it. I should know.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Coming From A Single Parent Home Has Taught You by pickabeau1: 5:27pm On Apr 11, 2015
Owliver:
if it's being independent in aspect of career that's understandable but in a family setting that's like a time bomb. Independence" and family" are two opposite words, like I said proper term and definition need to be done in this aspect. Good day
Ezatily
Independence and marriage don't mix
Good day to you too
Re: What Coming From A Single Parent Home Has Taught You by Nobody: 7:25pm On Apr 11, 2015
5minsmadness:

to be independent:
Hmm, actually what I meant buy being indepent here wasn't a childhood thingy. In all of my childhood years, I mostly depended on my mother. U know someone dat doesn't have ameans of being independent as of yet can't attain it. But I've developed a set of strategies for my future dat wilkl make me never have to depend completely on someone not even to keepp troubling my mother. I try my best to not expect from pple dat oi ave no right to demand from and I don't like asking pple for things.I always try to use whatver little thing I have to develop myself and I make plans dat will ensure even if say a particular source of income fails, ill always have something else to backup with.don't know if u get it.
_ to not be too crazy in loving : so you don't love with all your heart. Not necessarily a bad thing but you might have trust issues.you got this one. But its more or less to never have an inseperable emotional attachment to anyone. Some pple are afraid of divorcve and will keep up with d worst things, but not me.or some keep relationships dey know can't work outan but cos of the love they have, they can't call it off.
_to learn how to think like an dult at an early age
: same as independence, innocence lost cryhmm, here's is where the points u gave for independence applies.yes having to be the mmy, when my mother is playing daddy. As in taking care of ourselves when mother ahs to go to work/ travel nd stuffs.

_[b] to not feel too pained by insults and stereotypes from pple around[/b]: Good adaptation response. People can be mean. They point their stubby little fingers and say: look at that kid, she's from a broken home. They even tease you about it atimes. You learned to develop a thick skin early on. Kudos.

_to plan a better marriage: . It is same type of kids turned adults who do all they can to ensure their marriage never fails including accommodating all sorts of abuse and injustices. Because they despised their beginnings so much, they don't want to end up like their parents.
No its not that I'm afraid of ending up like my parents, infact I would if I have tobut I hope to have a marriage that doesn't end up like that. Which is why I won't get into a marriage that I know has d potential of ending up like that.infact I like to think dat a divorced home is better than an abusive one.

OK, I guess I went off point a bit. Different people adapt to situations in different ways. I'm glad you adjusted well and are looking forward to a perfect marriage. Work on the trust thing though. It has a way of coming out, no matter how hard you try to hide it. I should know.tqs 4 d advice here
To be honest I'm impressed,cos I was expecting dat ull say something dat reflects ur moniker. But twas something diffrnt. U interpreted some of my points well, but some others weren't exactly inline with what I meant.

1 Like

Re: What Coming From A Single Parent Home Has Taught You by bukatyne(f): 12:54pm On Apr 12, 2015
@OP:

Nice thread, that is the winning attitude.
Re: What Coming From A Single Parent Home Has Taught You by Nobody: 5:12pm On Apr 12, 2015
bukatyne:
@OP:

Nice thread, that is the winning attitude.
Tqs oh , u have anything u wish to add? I mean ur own opinion.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Married Sex Is Hotter / What If Your Family's Photo Looked Like This? / Give Away!!! Xmas Skincare Give Away For Lovers Of Beautiful Skin. Hop Right In

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.