Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:11 AM

A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? (26185 Views)

How Davido Got His Song If From Tekno / Fans Lament Over Empty Seats At Headies As Top Nigerian Artistes Boycott Award / D'banj Was The First Nigerian Artist To Be Featured On The Billboard Charts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by oseiwe(m): 8:41am On Apr 04, 2015
if your guy no wan sell am, make he dash me, i go sell am for 4.9M
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by Nobody: 8:42am On Apr 04, 2015
wtf...5millllllion,,,its even outrageous, 2mills is enof..u should sell without hesitatin,dere is a tousand reason 4 dat advice
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by Nobody: 8:42am On Apr 04, 2015
Whobedatte:
best wishes in your endeavours! Got a promo job on the island, &wld be recruiting some B.A (s) so wanna know if u r already gotten an apartment thr. Best of luck sha

Bros...sending u pm. Let's talk offline.
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by tsdarkside(m): 8:43am On Apr 04, 2015
Zane2point4:
Every body is very quick to make fast cash, left for me thats his intellectual property, I will advice u not to sale it, its better to go look for a top producer and sign a contract, u can release the song as a single, most of this famaous artist u see today started exactly like u, may I remind u dat a singles show u perform with dat song may fetch u more than that 5m.

thats not easy...man has to chop,in the meanwhile,SELL IT!!!!

1 Like

Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by Nobody: 8:49am On Apr 04, 2015
e be like dem dey follow this guy from villa, u bera sell the song now or....

Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by sheriffman(m): 8:50am On Apr 04, 2015
If he cannot bargain for something higher.In OLX voice SELL IT
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by miqos02(m): 8:50am On Apr 04, 2015
auction the song on ebay
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by niceguy7(m): 8:52am On Apr 04, 2015
No oo.....stay there no sell am.....dey there make poverty dey punish u.

1 Like

Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by currentbrands(m): 8:52am On Apr 04, 2015
Bros.....fling am!
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by Glaxx(m): 8:53am On Apr 04, 2015
ammyluv2002:
Sell it! *in OLX voice* grin cheesy

You be like olx.

1 Like

Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by heo88(m): 8:53am On Apr 04, 2015
Bro this right here!! I honestly couldn't put it better myself.
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by nonjebose(m): 8:54am On Apr 04, 2015
He should sell, get down to writing more songs,make more name as a gifted song writer,make more money,finally release his single
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by Wisdytech(m): 8:54am On Apr 04, 2015
Doortun:
Just sell it already, but don't sell it 100%. Ask for a royalty like certain percentage on all profits that is going to be generated from the song eventually. Get a lawyer first, 10-25% would be a fair cut.

You prolly don't have a name out there and it will take time for you get accepted in the market or breakeven.

This is the REAL DEAL. But 70% real
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by UnimkeAk(m): 8:54am On Apr 04, 2015
Doortun:
Just sell it already, but don't sell it 100%. Ask for a royalty like certain percentage on all profits that is going to be generated from the song eventually. Get a lawyer first, 10-25% would be a fair cut.

You prolly don't have a name out there and it will take time for you get accepted in the market or breakeven.

Royalty in naija ?
Do these guys even sell records?
Due to piracy and other limiting factors.

So we're will the royalties come from.

OP: ur friend hd better sell it ; now that he has seen 5m; if that song was so good, there would hv bin a buzz abt it by nw. Since u said u put it online.
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by ammyluv2002(f): 8:57am On Apr 04, 2015
Glaxx:

You be like olx.
undecided
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by MEILYN(m): 8:58am On Apr 04, 2015
lagos360:
A friend has been into music for like eternity. He'd always sing for us (friends). He's an IT guy, not that he's making millions but fairly comfortable. He was into a very serious relationship last year and composed a song that he meant to be played on his wedding day. Unfortunately things went sour and the relationship was ended. He finished the song about two weeks ago. We convinced him to put it online and the response has been small but exciting. Thing is, he got an email, then a call from one of the current top 10 artist in the Nigerian music industry offering to buy the song for 5 Million naira cash.

Point is, cos of the response he's been getting from the song, he's thinking of recording an album. We've been talking of taking the songs to radio stations (we understand it's not going to be free and we could pull it off to get a fair amount of airplay).

I don't want to sound arrogant but 5M while quite an amount isn't enough I think. This song in question is the type of song that's just different and unique in its own way. I think my friend's song can shape his music career just like "African Queen" shaped 2Baba's career.

Give me a link to the song. If it is nice as you have said, then I will help your friend to promote the song. My Cousin has a record label and trust me when I say I don't want to tell you the name of the label.
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by lolaluv1(f): 8:59am On Apr 04, 2015
Doortun:

Gbammest!
Till today, Neyo regrets selling "Let me love you" to Mario. The song was a smash hit.

But the truth is, would it have been such a hit if he'd sung it himself? When a hit is a combination of So Many factors....

So your best bet would be to ask a cut from royalties after the initial payment....
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by frank442: 8:59am On Apr 04, 2015
It not true

U are a fool for seeking advice

So u can not get a better song again

?
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by illswift(m): 9:01am On Apr 04, 2015
Collect that 5M oo, cut the idea of promoting the song except u gt say 2M for that, that amount myt not even give u a nationwide exposure,this is the Nigerian music industry mahn...u cld jis make ur name as a songwriter\composer!
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by ikkkkk: 9:01am On Apr 04, 2015
@ Poster, OLX. SELL IT.
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by Skoopy(m): 9:02am On Apr 04, 2015
Doortun:

I align myself totally to this advice. Besides ensure you are acknowledged as the song writer in your terms of contract. Should I say "GOODLUCK TO YOU? Anyways best of luck.

1 Like

Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by habeebcole: 9:06am On Apr 04, 2015
in olx voice ......"sell it"
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by justi4jesu(f): 9:07am On Apr 04, 2015
khenykhey:
My Guy Airforce1 will sell his for 500k not to talk of 5M.

Airforce1 come and hear this, But he is yet to release his own na....lol cheesy cheesy
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by Gme01(m): 9:07am On Apr 04, 2015
Hi. I think he should sell- my view. Since its from him- talent cnt die! While African queen brought Tu face out, other songs kept him dere. And he doesn't have to be a musician to hit... he could be a writer : while the accolade is less, the singers will pay their nose to get him to write. Promoting a song takes work. So my view: sell, use d 5 mill to wrk more and he should get acknowledgement as the writer of said song...
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by xtervaganza(m): 9:11am On Apr 04, 2015
Let me help you as I have experience in this case

Tell your friend to contact the music star, and renegotiate terms that he will only sell if he sign him up into his label.

That was how most of these young stars became what they are today. They sold songs to record labels who signed them as part of the deal

1 Like

Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by UjSizzle(f): 9:13am On Apr 04, 2015
Can't think of anything to say.

The young man had no intention of recording until a musician made an offer for the song. If his initial plan was to sing it on his wedding day, then sell it. Possibly before he's ready to get married, the song would have been recorded and released and he can still sing it.
Go back and write more songs. If he is able to tap into the same feelings he had when the first song was written, then there's the possibility of doing more.
Music is most often than not a reflection of our lives/souls. He has shown an ability to channel his emotions into song writing and music...cool. Let him establish himself as a songwriter, get a good lawyer to broker a decent deal and make a name for himself.

Learn to be patient and use the success of others to your own advantage.
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by Yehman(m): 9:13am On Apr 04, 2015
lagos360:
A friend has been into music for like eternity. He'd always sing for us (friends). He's an IT guy, not that he's making millions but fairly comfortable. He was into a very serious relationship last year and composed a song that he meant to be played on his wedding day. Unfortunately things went sour and the relationship was ended. He finished the song about two weeks ago. We convinced him to put it online and the response has been small but exciting. Thing is, he got an email, then a call from one of the current top 10 artist in the Nigerian music industry offering to buy the song for 5 Million naira cash.

Point is, cos of the response he's been getting from the song, he's thinking of recording an album. We've been talking of taking the songs to radio stations (we understand it's not going to be free and we could pull it off to get a fair amount of airplay).

I don't want to sound arrogant but 5M while quite an amount isn't enough I think. This song in question is the type of song that's just different and unique in its own way. I think my friend's song can shape his music career just like "African Queen" shaped 2Baba's career.

U are still asking? No. Keep it as one of ur monument
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by idupaul: 9:15am On Apr 04, 2015
khenykhey:
My Guy Airforce1 will sell his for 500k not to talk of 5M.

Airforce 1 will sell his entire Album for 500k
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by Truth234(m): 9:15am On Apr 04, 2015
USAutoBuy:
A song is a funny thing. It can be a monster hit or a flop. Either way, my advise is that DON'T SELL 100% like some people already mentioned. Ask for like N4m and retain something like 20-25% stake. If its a flop, you gain something and if its hit, you will gain as well.

There is a man who got frustrated with Apple Inc. in the beginning of the company and sold his 10% stake for few thousands of dollars. He now lives in a Caravan somewhere on govt. pension. Apple is a multi-billion $$$ company now.

If i am not mistaken, King Sunny Ade did not have the right to his 1st album. Guess what, he has been trying to buy the right since he became famous and he has been unsuccessful. Not even at any price.

This song might not be successful with the artist but can be a runaway success if another artist sings it in different format. You will still make money. Nothing is like a residual income.

Just like voting, we have matured, IT WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE TO VOTE WITHOUT A PVC CARD. NO MORE. Nigeria will soon evolve in the entertainment world that entertainment royalty will be looked upon very well.

Whoever, is offering you N5m for the song possibly know something you don't. Sell it but not all.

Good luck

Bro you speak my language, Ronald Wayne, sold it's apple share for $800, that same 10% stake would have been worth approximately $60 billion going by $700 billion evaluation.
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by absoluteSuccess: 9:15am On Apr 04, 2015
Canme4u:
My advise for you is to sell it on one condition that he would feturing you in 2 hit tracks in his album and its not negotiable.

You may become the new GALADO in town, who knows.
Give this man an OSCAR.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by Awoofawo(m): 9:16am On Apr 04, 2015
Saklekplus:
I wil advice him to sell the song,, it's not easy to be a popular musician nowadays, unless if ur family is OK,or someone decide to help him out, I will advise him to sell it for now to raise funds into his pocket and try to compose another one, then he wil use the money to produce the new one if he is the type that doesn't spend lavishly

A bit of tough decision to make here...

In my opinion, I think the guy just discovered his path to wealth but didn't yet realize it....

He should sell it and compose another good ones with aims of selling to music artists..that way he will be smiling to bank without the hassle that becomes with being a musician. Just make sure credit is give to you as song writer/composer with royality payable....

Promoting music like people already pointed out isn't easy, the fact is being a music artist is easy unless you have the connection.....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review / Unity FM: Radio Station On Fire In Ebonyi (Photos) / What The Next Rated Category Award Really Means - HIPTV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.