Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,887 members, 7,806,569 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:23 PM

A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? - Music/Radio (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? (26184 Views)

How Davido Got His Song If From Tekno / Fans Lament Over Empty Seats At Headies As Top Nigerian Artistes Boycott Award / D'banj Was The First Nigerian Artist To Be Featured On The Billboard Charts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by litaninja(m): 10:05am On Apr 04, 2015
Sell it, get a contract drawn up, request for credit of writing the song to be given to you, get royalties, possibly work out a deal to write more for that artiste.
Get you lr foot in the door of the music industry that way, get to know The business. Record a few singles and see where that takes you....
There's a different be between recording an entire album and actually getting it out there and it getting the response it deserves.
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by drnairalov: 10:10am On Apr 04, 2015
sell it jare, u might as well sing that song and it might not fetch u up to 5 million naira, instead u wud be spending moni promoting
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by davimiles(m): 10:15am On Apr 04, 2015
airforce1 please send me ur number
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by Princevile(m): 10:22am On Apr 04, 2015
drnairalov:
sell it jare, u might as well sing that song and it might not fetch u up to 5 million naira, instead u wud be spending moni promoting

Guy sell the song o. 5m no b 5naira. D money u will spent on production n promotion would b waste jst sell d song n make ur dough. Kudos
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by Dexema(m): 10:27am On Apr 04, 2015
Doortun:
Just sell it already, but don't sell it 100%. Ask for a royalty like certain percentage on all profits that is going to be generated from the song eventually. Get a lawyer first, 10-25% would be a fair cut.

You prolly don't have a name out there and it will take time for you get accepted in the market or breakeven.

Good points rAised,I also think he shud develop a workin relationship with this artiste so as to get into his circle of producers and marketers. But (in olamides voice) first of all sell that song.

1 Like

Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by nduchucks: 10:29am On Apr 04, 2015
If your friend is as talented as you've told us, then he can compose another song which would be even better than this song. Let him sell but ensure that he is prominently recognized as the song writer when the said top ten artist releases the record.

Some song writers actually make more money than several top musicians. They are richer because they don't have to cater to groupies or waste money on entourage support. He'd also have the option of releasing an album anytime he chooses,
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by jomoh: 10:30am On Apr 04, 2015
lagos360:
A friend has been into music for like eternity. He'd always sing for us (friends). He's an IT guy, not that he's making millions but fairly comfortable. He was into a very serious relationship last year and composed a song that he meant to be played on his wedding day. Unfortunately things went sour and the relationship was ended. He finished the song about two weeks ago. We convinced him to put it online and the response has been small but exciting. Thing is, he got an email, then a call from one of the current top 10 artist in the Nigerian music industry offering to buy the song for 5 Million naira cash.

Point is, cos of the response he's been getting from the song, he's thinking of recording an album. We've been talking of taking the songs to radio stations (we understand it's not going to be free and we could pull it off to get a fair amount of airplay).

I don't want to sound arrogant but 5M while quite an amount isn't enough I think. This song in question is the type of song that's just different and unique in its own way. I think my friend's song can shape his music career just like "African Queen" shaped 2Baba's career.

Promotion is not childs play. Getting your gig to be played on Radio station is not totally free. It is officially, but unofficially you have to settle the DJ, the presenter, the producers etc all that in just one radio station, think of how many stations you'll visit and still there's no real assurance of acceptance.

My advice: get a lawyer that knows a little about copy right laws and the entertainment industry to draft a contract for you and also include variables in the contract e.g. If the song hits platinum your friend gets another cut, if it hits double platinum he gets another cut, your friend gets a % on every sales on itunes and ring tones or caller tunes etc.

Careful: don't be too greedy on it the buyer might get angry. Be careful on the insertion of clauses. It must not be too much.

Lastly: take the advice of the guy above me @nduchuks, he's 100% on point.
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by vacant06(m): 10:33am On Apr 04, 2015
Bros sell it for that amount I did 3 hot tracks but no promoter I'm on OYO mood u better grab this opportunity
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by seangy4konji: 10:41am On Apr 04, 2015
Sell sharp and ask for a percentage for future sale of the song like royalty...

Since a him compose am?once 5 million deh trust meTell him to get a nice crib,2 nice girl to cook for him,wrap his jumbo,500 k to set up a mini studio and see the inspiration flow in to be a nice composer making 50 M in a month selling songs...

Make he no forget the jumbo skunk and alomo though.
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by Dolemite(f): 10:52am On Apr 04, 2015
derespect:
Let him sell it and sign an agreement with the artiste, dat for every award d song in question brings to the artiste, he will be collecting 20-25% on it.

In that case he should sell it for much less like 500,000 not 5 million.
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by danbrowndmf(m): 10:54am On Apr 04, 2015
deevatee:
hey u! Its bin a while.
Huh,Lngst Tym,Where Hv You Been?
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by lovely17(m): 10:55am On Apr 04, 2015
damn are you still dulling

1 Like

Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by Nobody: 10:59am On Apr 04, 2015
I'd advice u sell it nd ask for other favours, like u wil future him in ur next track nd he will help market it.. bros I get songs die, abeg link me to buyers. I mean CORRECT songs. I even gat songs for ur heartbreak.
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by idonbilivit(m): 11:11am On Apr 04, 2015
Nna sell it! There should be more wherever that came from! And if heartbreak is the only thing that motivates him,he should not also worry there is also more where that came from. grin

1 Like

Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by musicwriter(m): 11:12am On Apr 04, 2015
@lagos360
Having a good song is one thing, getting blowed (or whatever they call it) is another.
To blow you must have a capable record label and managers. One man doesn't do music even if you have the money. R. Kelly still need a music label to work, 2face need a label, Dbanj need a label, Justin Bieber need it, Usher need it too. So, it's not about your song rather it's about an industry. Without Kennis music sponsoring that 2face's song you probably wouldn't have heard about 2face's African queen that you cited. Get it?.

I have done real quality songs myself just that I'm not with any label, that's why I'm not all over the radios and TVs already. Check out Africason on iTunes.
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by netmillionaires(m): 11:14am On Apr 04, 2015
Sell it sharperly. #5m no be small money. But if the song is really da bomb, sell it for #5m with an icing on the top. I mean also asked to be featured in the album to promote yourself and/or get signed up to the record. If the song is that good they will accept your terms. You can always use the money to promote ur next album.
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by Nobody: 11:20am On Apr 04, 2015
Most people are asking you to sell it but here is my advise.
Sell it for 1.5 million naira (which is less than the offer) on the condition that you will get a collabo with the celebrity.

5 million is actually a good sum and im pretty sure no A-list artist would be willing to buy a song for 5m.
The current going rate is 500k-1.5m. That is the area I really doubt this story but my advise remains the same.
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by tommiblack: 11:20am On Apr 04, 2015
Sell it, use the money and go online and write a book about it. Let me tell you your gains.
1, You already 5m from the initial sales
2, You will make another cool cash from the publication
3, You will interviews from media houses
4, You will be invited to shows to perform the original version.
5, Finally, the fame.
My opinion.
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by Nobody: 11:21am On Apr 04, 2015
vacant06:
Bros sell it for that amount I did 3 hot tracks but no promoter I'm on OYO mood u better grab this opportunity

If you are confident about your song, send it to me on icevillebeatz@gmail.com
Im setting up a record label and currently, im still hunting artiste on low key.
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by Nobody: 11:22am On Apr 04, 2015
tommiblack:
Sell it, use the money and go online and write a book about it. Let me tell you your gains.
1, You already 5m from the initial sales
2, You will make another cool cash from the publication
3, You will interviews from media houses
4, You will be invited to shows to perform the original version.
5, Finally, the fame.
My opinion.
There is often a "non-disclosure" agreement shroudding such deals. Artists are not stupid.
Cant pay you so muvh for a song and still share credit... lai lai!!
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by dROC1: 11:24am On Apr 04, 2015
moreeni:
Yes! Its not the "sweetness" of the song that makes it a best seller. It's a combination of many things like the singer, publicity, record label etc. Wonder why anything Don Jazzy touches become gold? So yes sell it but make sure you agree that you would get some credit for it. Ie, you must be allowed to tell the whole world you sold it. It's a good way to recoup some publicity for yourself if it becomes a hit...so ride it.

this says it all
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by Elgaxton(m): 11:25am On Apr 04, 2015
lagos360:
A friend has been into music for like eternity. He'd always sing for us (friends). He's an IT guy, not that he's making millions but fairly comfortable. He was into a very serious relationship last year and composed a song that he meant to be played on his wedding day. Unfortunately things went sour and the relationship was ended. He finished the song about two weeks ago. We convinced him to put it online and the response has been small but exciting. Thing is, he got an email, then a call from one of the current top 10 artist in the Nigerian music industry offering to buy the song for 5 Million naira cash.

Point is, cos of the response he's been getting from the song, he's thinking of recording an album. We've been talking of taking the songs to radio stations (we understand it's not going to be free and we could pull it off to get a fair amount of airplay).

I don't want to sound arrogant but 5M while quite an amount isn't enough I think. This song in question is the type of song that's just different and unique in its own way. I think my friend's song can shape his music career just like "African Queen" shaped 2Baba's career.

Can your friend sing? Possibly yes, does he have the clout to make the song sell for more than five million if he sings it? Maybe Yes/No. If he can sing and get 5 million then he should sell the song to the artist for a higher amount and then write another song and sing.

Not everyone who can write can sing and not everyone who can sing can sing enough to bring in money.

Most of the western musicians don't write their songs, they buy the songs they sing.
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by Nobody: 11:26am On Apr 04, 2015
Doortun:
Just sell it already, but don't sell it 100%. Ask for a royalty like certain percentage on all profits that is going to be generated from the song eventually. Get a lawyer first, 10-25% would be a fair cut.

You prolly don't have a name out there and it will take time for you get accepted in the market or breakeven.
mind u dis isn't in britain or america or several oda countries where d music has got a proper regulatory bod...wot u r suggestin is sometin of a record deal n dats way odd from d topic @ hand....right ans in d wrong topic
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by Nobody: 11:32am On Apr 04, 2015
derespect:
Let him sell it and sign an agreement with the artiste, dat for every award d song in question brings to the artiste, he will be collecting 20-25% on it.
not dat i dont share ur optimism but its not as if d song mite gross much doe as thriller or even in da club so he shld be glad dat someone offerred such an enomous amount 4 it n grab it...
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by Nobody: 11:34am On Apr 04, 2015
Mayor88:
Broz,sell am cos even if U̶̲̥̅̊ sing am n sell d album U̶̲̥̅̊ won't get up ŧº 5m o
*in 2face voice** o boy notin go fall out,5mill 2much
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by MCDumexx: 11:39am On Apr 04, 2015
YESSS

!! I will sell the studio too coz singing it urself may not sell as a well known artiste would
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by worryless: 11:39am On Apr 04, 2015
yh bro ur rite but u told us to be expecting an album that will shake d world and in my opinion such an album will fetch u billions and fame so why sell dis one dat u hv been working on since d year 1815? and we still don't know if it's gonna take u another 100 years ,imagine sey d album has been released earlier u go don perform am for Abraham Lincoln and who knows maybe for buhari as well cos u guys stories are very similar just dat urs is weird and long thing
Airforce1:

5million is a whole lotsa money you know grin

1 Like

Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by Nobody: 11:41am On Apr 04, 2015
it will be much better hearin d song from a big tiome artiste n u would be proud 2 be part of his success n it may probably gross more doe....trust me nigerians has got little pattience with new bae artistes
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by SamuelAgent(m): 11:51am On Apr 04, 2015
[quote author=Doortun post=32244623]Just sell it already, but don't sell it 100%. Ask for a royalty like certain percentage on all profits that is going to be generated from the song eventually. Get a lawyer first, 10-25% would be a fair cut.

You prolly don't have a name out there and it will take time for you get accepted in the market or breakeven. [/quote

Seconded
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by Mistaarhlohki(m): 12:02pm On Apr 04, 2015
lagos360:

Here is what I propose....do a 360° deal over the sale structure of the material...

Sell the song for 7million and if the song becomes a hit, be entitled to a royalty percentage of 10% don't be greedy and also make sure YOU HAVE A VERY COMPETENT ENTERTAINMENT LAWYER OR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LAWYER...BECAUSE ARTIST ARE COMEDY THESE DAYS.

One last thing sell you song like you are a song writing brand or company...that will give you a more corporate edge and respect will be accorded to u...

Do all of these and thank me later....Get paid my nigga
Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by takin35(m): 12:06pm On Apr 04, 2015
Guy I would advise you to sell the song,cos it has happened to me before and now I gat nothing.baba sell it out.
lagos360:

1 Like

Re: A Top Nigerian Artist Just Offered Him 5M To Buy His Song... Should He Sell? by vacant06(m): 12:39pm On Apr 04, 2015
icebeatz:

If you are confident about your song, send it to me on icevillebeatz@gmail.com
Im setting up a record label and currently, im still hunting artiste on low key.
I will send u d songs

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Burna Boys: The ‘Twice As Tall’ Album Review / Unity FM: Radio Station On Fire In Ebonyi (Photos) / What The Next Rated Category Award Really Means - HIPTV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.