Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,476 members, 7,808,736 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:05 PM

How The Igbos Worked For Buhari's Victory -shettima - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How The Igbos Worked For Buhari's Victory -shettima (47203 Views)

The Iweala Who Worked For Me Is Different From The Iweala Who Worked For GEJ-OBJ / Patrick Obahiagbon Mocks All The Trekkers Trekking For Buhari's Victory(pics) / PDP CHIEF- Bode George Worked For Tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

How The Igbos Worked For Buhari's Victory -shettima by Nobody: 8:18am On Apr 02, 2015
Borno State Governor, Kashim Shettima on Wednesday described Igbos as silent forces ‎that played significant roles in the victory of General Muhammadu Buhari of the APC at the just concluded presidential elections.

Shettima said contrary to some claims that Buhari was elected by four geopolitical zones without the southeast and the south-south, leaders of the APC in ‎the southeast stood very firm to stop the PDP from coming out with outrageous votes from the southeast as the case in 2011.

The Governor said this while addressing supporters after his return from Abuja where he went on Tuesday night to join other leaders of the APC ahead of Buhari’s declaration as President elect.

According to him, “Buhari’s election was a pan-Nigerian movement. I have heard some political analysts making some wrong conclusions that‎ the Igbos in the Southeast didn’t contribute significantly to Buhari’s victory, but I think they are missing the point because there are two key contributions to winning elections.

“One is to give votes and the other is to prevent opponent from rigging and both have equal relevance.

“In the 2011 elections, the PDP got a combined figure of about 7 million votes in the southeast, some of these States recorded or so they claimed, having almost 100 percent voter turn out.

“But in 2015, Igbos in the southeast, especially our leaders in the APC stood very firm, some of them put their lives on the line, resisted all kinds of humiliation and at the end, they prevented another seven million votes from coming out.

“In Ebonyi the PDP got less than 300,000 votes, in Abia, the PDP got less than 400,000, even in Enugu the PDP got about 600,000 votes, in Imo also the PDP got less than 600,000 all these were against the big numbers of 2011.

“We all saw what happened in Rivers, if that was repeated in the southeast, it would have been a major source of concern for all Nigerians but the Igbos did very well by resisting every step against Buhari so they are heroes as far as I am concerned.

“This is also the case in some parts of the south-south. In Bayelsa, the PDP could have recorded 600,000 or so votes but they got less than 400,000 because of the efforts of our men in Bayelsa who stood firm. In Edo State, Buhari wasn’t far from President Goodluck Jonathan in terms of votes.

“And then, if one looks across religious divides, Buhari was voted by all religious groups. He wouldn’t have won Ondo if only Muslims voted for him, he wouldn’t have won Benue or get the required 25 percent in Edo and Ekiti.

“All of these point to one thing that Buhari was voted by all Nigerians and this is why he has promised to carry the entire country along, he has pledged not to rule but to govern and this is the principle of the APC.

“He is laying the foundation of the change Nigerians need and that change is not about which party is in power, it is about the changes in the security of lives and property, the changes in the living standards of Nigerians” the Governor said.

http://dailypost.ng/2015/04/01/how-igbos-worked-for-buharis-victory-governor-shettima/

105 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How The Igbos Worked For Buhari's Victory -shettima by Impulse80(m): 8:19am On Apr 02, 2015
We hear you.
Igbos will never do anything to undermine democracy and I believe that an era of true democracy has come.
I discussed with some igbo people who believe that igbos are not united because we do not come out en masse to rig elections and pull the odds in our favour or use children voters to put someone in power.
What they failed to understand is that we have our ideals as a people, we have practised democracy before the white man knew of the word. Nigerians should embrace true democracy.
LONG LIVE NIGERIA!
LONG LIVE DEMOCRACY!
LONG LIVE NIGERIANS!

proudly Naija!

And before you think i have forgotten, firstus to commentus

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How The Igbos Worked For Buhari's Victory -shettima by Nobody: 8:22am On Apr 02, 2015
well said

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: How The Igbos Worked For Buhari's Victory -shettima by Nobody: 8:24am On Apr 02, 2015
Well said. Congrats to all Igbos.

83 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How The Igbos Worked For Buhari's Victory -shettima by IykeChukz(m): 8:31am On Apr 02, 2015
I thought as much...

Wind of #Change is come.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: How The Igbos Worked For Buhari's Victory -shettima by socialmediaman: 8:33am On Apr 02, 2015
ikwoche:

He is very right. If the Igbos in the south east had not stood their ground, PDP would have won APC again with a slight margin. Imagine PDP recording an average of 1.7 million votes in each south east state. Infact what would've happened is, the returning officers would declare that their card readers had malfunctioned, and JEGA would order a manual accreditation, which would lead to accrediting everyone and fraudulently accounting for all the registered voters, the same tactics used in 2011

55 Likes 1 Share

Re: How The Igbos Worked For Buhari's Victory -shettima by DesChyko: 8:37am On Apr 02, 2015
This has some truth in it.
However, it wasn't achieved by the said 'Governors'.
There seemed to be a lethargy towards this years election which affected the turnout for both parties.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: How The Igbos Worked For Buhari's Victory -shettima by madamoringo(f): 8:40am On Apr 02, 2015
Good try Shettima but 99% of the cry babies are here whinning about how they and the SS were voted out because they are minority, and how they would vote incompetence again a 100X if a stoopid president like GEJ Azikiwe was the one that needed to earn their ethnic vote!

Can't eat their cake and have it! Credit to Amaechi, Rochas, Oshiomole and their foot soldiers but left to the generality of Ibos, they voted PDP! That was why even Ngige was voted out and they are proud of it, all because he is in the APC. Anyway, no minority SE will now get close to being Senate President thanks to the Ibos that cut off their nose to spite their face!!

120 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How The Igbos Worked For Buhari's Victory -shettima by socialmediaman: 8:41am On Apr 02, 2015
madamoringo:
Good try Shettima but 99% of the cry babies are here whinning about how they and the SS were voted out because they are minority, and how they would vote incompetence again a 100X if a stoopid president like GEJ Azikiwe was the one that needed to earn their ethnic vote!

Can't eat their cake and have it! Credit to Amaechi, Rochas, Oshiomole and their foot soldiers but left to the generality of Ibos, they voted PDP! That was why even Ngige was voted out and they are proud of it, all because he is in the APC. Anyway, no minority SE will now get close to being Senate President thanks to the Ibos that cut off their nose to spite their face!!

Its not true, you can say, 99% of the paid bloggers, not 99% of south esterners

52 Likes 1 Share

Re: How The Igbos Worked For Buhari's Victory -shettima by Nobody: 8:41am On Apr 02, 2015
Lalasticlala

Afam4eva
Re: How The Igbos Worked For Buhari's Victory -shettima by efilefun(m): 8:50am On Apr 02, 2015
That's a nice write up thou.. The person i got pity for most right now is Jimi Agbaje cuz he's so on his own, all money spent is actually wasted cuz during his campaign he said Lagos should vote for the PDP in order to enjoy the presence of the FG in Lagos, now they aint in power no more, that's the end of his ambition, moreover his godfather is going on exile already and Koro will surely be looking for a way to either decamp or run out of the country cuz of his involvement in the #ekitigate saga, JK aint Just Kidding anymore His now a goner like GEJ

JUST CHECKING MY MEMORY CARD

*Buhari will die before the Election - Ayo Fayose

*Buhari is brain dead - Mama Peace

*If APC survives till October 2014, call me a bastard.- Doyin Okupe

*Mark my words, It will not happen for Buhari to rule Nigeria. - Doyin Okupe.

*If APC wins, I will go on exile. - Bode George.

*Buhari can never win in Yorubaland. - Gani Adams.

*Jonathan will shock APC with defeat. - FFK

*If Jonathan loses, we would set Nigeria on fire. - Asari Dokubo.

*We instigated the 6 weeks postponement so that Jonathan can win. - Fasehun

*I will deliver 1 million votes to Jonathan in Ondo state. - Mimiko

*We shall deliver the South West votes to Jonathan. - Afenifere

*Tinubu is no longer a force in the South West. - Yinka Odumakin.

*Buhari at 70 wears diapers like my mother. - Fayose

*Jonathan already has Lagos votes. - Musiliu..

When God says YES nobody can say NO including all those "Paid prophets that said the GATE of HELL would be opened" #GodWin
SAI BABA

151 Likes 9 Shares

Re: How The Igbos Worked For Buhari's Victory -shettima by constance500: 8:50am On Apr 02, 2015
Okay!
Re: How The Igbos Worked For Buhari's Victory -shettima by Nobody: 8:50am On Apr 02, 2015
Let me start by saying congratulations to Muhammadu Buhari for winning the presidential election and emerging as Nigeria’s president-elect. I have come to realise that Buhari’s victory is the will of God for Nigeria and so, I have come to accept him as my president.

I also want to congratulate President Goodluck Jonathan for being mature enough to accept defeat and concede the election. This man remains one of the greatest Nigerian presidents because he could have decided to set Nigeria on fire but chose the honourable path.

I want to also recognise all my fellow PDP e-warriors that stood beside the President. Thank you for your resilience and unflinching support all through the struggle. Also to recognise all the APC e-warriors who fought bravely in support of their party despite all odds and won the battle.

MY MESSAGE FOR BUHARI

Now that you have become the President, I want to let you know that the change Nigerians really need is not the change of personalities or political party, Nigerians are just tired of the way things have been going in this country. Nigerians are suffering; we struggle to provide basic needs that ordinarily the Government should provide. Thieves continue to steal and get richer while the majority of Nigerians are languishing in poverty. This is the reason why Nigerians have decided to give you a chance; the people believe that God can use you to turn things around in this country that is why you were voted for last Saturday.

(1) Fight corruption to a complete halt in this country especially in the petroleum sector. Sanitize the NNPC, ensure transparency and accountability. Nigerians all over should be able to benefit from our God-given resources. A few cannot continue to hold this country to ransom and steal at will.

(2) Provide stable and reliable power supply for Nigerians. This will enable SME’s to thrive and encourage investors to flock massively into the country. The cost of doing business in this country is crazy because of high energy costs. We must do away with generators in this country for good Mr President.

(3) Please diversify our economy. We cannot continue to depend heavily on oil in Nigeria. Sit down and take a good look at the six geopolitical zones in this country and find a way of harnessing all economic potentials for the good of all Nigerians. Our economy must be less dependent on crude oil.

(4) Deal ruthlessly with corrupt persons who believe that they can continue to steal and do business as usual. This is a democracy but Mr President, you are the C-in-C and you have enormous powers at your disposal, please use them! Don’t be like Jonathan who allowed his Government to be hijacked by criminals who looted the nation dry while Nigerians cried.

(5) Finally, Buhari could be the man that God could use to finally cement Nigeria’s bond of unity by handing over to an Igbo-Nigerian president after his tenure in office whether 4 or 8yrs. Like the Elder statesman Yakubu Gowon said, electing an Igbo president would heal the old wounds of the civil war. Buhari’s name will be written in gold both in the hearts of the Igbos if he can be the instrument to achieving Igbo presidency in this country. If Buhari, being a Fulani from the North can transfer presidential power to the Igbos after him then he will be like the hinge holding Nigeria together.

A WORD FOR THE SE

I want to thank my geopolitical zone the SE for standing with Jonathan till the end. Yes, he lost the election but we have made a bold statement that we can stand with you till death when we give you our word. There was immense pressure to abandon the minority Ijaw man and join the majority but we refused and stood with the minority till the very end. We must however join hands with the new president to move this great nation forward. Personally, I have concluded that Nigeria has come to stay since we have survived this 2015 presidential election. Let us also build good bridges with other geopolitical zones so that we can produce Nigeria’s president after Buhari. No zone can produce the president alone in this country; you need the support of at least four zones to produce the president!

Let us also eschew bitterness and drop all these talk about Biafra; we are Nigerians and we have everything to gain in this country if we can play our game well.

A WORD FOR THE NIGER DELTA

Thank God we can now say that Nigeria has produced a president for the first time from the minority in the person of Goodluck Jonathan who is about to leave office. I can understand the pain/anger because of the outcome of this election but the truth is that what has happened is the will of God for Nigeria; I see the finger of God in all these. This is Buhari’s time to rule this country; he is a man of destiny. He has come just at the right time to save this country from gliding into abyss.

Stop calling the Yorubas traitors and all that. Remember that the Yorubas overwhelmingly voted for your son in 2011 and rejected this same buhari. Check the figures and see that buhari was soundly rejected by the Yorubas in 2011. All Nigerians believed that Jonathyan would be a Messiah that would come and turn things around in this country; this was a man who had no shoes to go to school, who was from a poor background. Nigerians voted massively for him only to be so disappointed that he has not been able to make their lives better. Things are much more difficult for Nigerians now than when Jonathan took over. This is the reason why the Yourubas have rejected Jonathan this time. It is not out of hatred or gang-up but because he has not performed well! Same story about most of the MB and that is why Jonathan lost the MB. Nigerians never had it this bad, state Governors are owing salaries for months, people are hungry, unable to pay school fees and unable to meet their basic human needs.

How foolish can a Government be? Imagine someone that wants to come for a second term and civil servants were not paid their December salaries to celebrate Christmas! This is just unbelievable! It was in December last year that I began to question this Government in my mind but I still continued my relentless support on Nairaland for Jonathan. I saw my relatives who were Civil Servants going hungry during the Christmas celebrations, some could not even purchase new clothes for their kid, how painful!

As for me, I will do my very best in my own little capacity to support Buhari in changing this country for good. If things should continue the way they were going under Jonathan I wonder what the future of our children would be to be honest. It is God that has pushed out Jonathan not Nigerians because of all the prayers and crying that has gone up to him.

Let me also use this medium to appeal to all reasonable Yorubas on Nairaland to prevail on their people to stop opening funny threads about Igbo this Igbo that just because Jonathan lost. The APC people should stop opening threads to tell other Nigerians ‘Ntorrr’, we should move away from such pettiness and mediocrity.

A WORD TO THE CORE NORTH

And to the core North, let this election be a lesson and a reference point. A southerner sitting as president presided over his own defeat, accepted the results and went ahead to congratulate the winner from the north. In 2011 when Jonathan defeated Buhari, he refused to concede defeat but shouted that the election was rigged when we all know that he was defeated by Jonathan then. Nobody is burning tyres on the road in the South, nobody is burning Mosques, nobody is burning houses/cars and nobody is going about killing Northerners. Should the Northerners lose elections in future we expect them to accept the results and not disturb the peace. Jonathan has set a very good precedent not only for Nigeria but Africa.

286 Likes 49 Shares

Re: How The Igbos Worked For Buhari's Victory -shettima by jeeqaa7(m): 8:50am On Apr 02, 2015
Lies
Re: How The Igbos Worked For Buhari's Victory -shettima by Nobody: 8:51am On Apr 02, 2015
ABEG MAKE UNA GIVE US SENATE PRESIDENT NA.
*KNEELS* cry cry cry

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: How The Igbos Worked For Buhari's Victory -shettima by elampiro(m): 8:51am On Apr 02, 2015
Gbam!

South South and South East refused to turn out and lost about 4 million votes when compared to their turn out of 2011. From 11 million votes in these two zones in 2011 to 7 million votes in 2015.

South East lost 2.5 million votes from 2011 voters.
South South lost 1.4 million votes from 2011 voters. Buhari won by just 2.57 million.

Even in Joanthan's home state, the votes for PDP dropped from 505,811 in 2011 to 361,209 in 2015. Buhari's votes increased from 691 to 5,194. Same across the whole of S/S and S/E. People were just tired of the way PDP were handling the country

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How The Igbos Worked For Buhari's Victory -shettima by sukkot: 8:51am On Apr 02, 2015
2 GBOSAS TO THE NDIGBOS. NNA GO AND ENJOYMENT THIS KOLANUT ON ME. NWANNE

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: How The Igbos Worked For Buhari's Victory -shettima by Nobody: 8:51am On Apr 02, 2015
Whosays Nigerians are intelligent and inspiring.
INEC Results
APC – 15,424,921
1+5+4+2+4+9+2+1=28
PDP – 12,853,162
1+2+8+5+3+1+6+2=28
Date of Election = March 28
Coincidence? NO ! Hand of God? YES
Bestin theworld calculation
I am a Nigerian.... Anointedto be Great
Lord you deserve the highest PRAISE for thePEACE we pray and you granted us our petition.

34 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How The Igbos Worked For Buhari's Victory -shettima by niyifour(m): 8:52am On Apr 02, 2015
GEJmyHero

P.D.P

PowerGEJmyHero

P.D.P

Power
GEJmyHero

P.D.P

Power

2 Likes

Re: How The Igbos Worked For Buhari's Victory -shettima by AsanwaKC(f): 8:52am On Apr 02, 2015
ezi okwu.
Re: How The Igbos Worked For Buhari's Victory -shettima by Johnpaul2k2(m): 8:52am On Apr 02, 2015
[size=16pt]Leave us alone!!![/size]

5 Likes

Re: How The Igbos Worked For Buhari's Victory -shettima by Dottore: 8:52am On Apr 02, 2015
Ok
Re: How The Igbos Worked For Buhari's Victory -shettima by SenatorM(m): 8:53am On Apr 02, 2015
OK we have finish hearing you sir
Re: How The Igbos Worked For Buhari's Victory -shettima by Abbott(m): 8:53am On Apr 02, 2015
smiley
Re: How The Igbos Worked For Buhari's Victory -shettima by prodam(m): 8:53am On Apr 02, 2015
What about senatorial seats?. Minority things..
Re: How The Igbos Worked For Buhari's Victory -shettima by dayo23(f): 8:53am On Apr 02, 2015
I don't believe it, the ibos didn't just come out to vote, they all relly on ringing which was the normal PDP method, I think the card reader makes the difference. Kudos to Prof Jega!

10 Likes

Re: How The Igbos Worked For Buhari's Victory -shettima by Nobody: 8:53am On Apr 02, 2015
To whom much is given much is also expected from him. We the Igbo voted for you. We dnt want to be tribalistic nor sentimental. I hope you will not give us any reason to regret our support

God bless you sir.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Governor-elect Absent As Outgoing Governor Hands Over To Deputy-elect (photos) / This Photo Of Fayose With Fayemi Shows Why You Should Not Fight For Politicians / Baga Attack: Nigerians React After Army Spoke

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.