Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,567 members, 7,809,066 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:10 PM

How To Be A Successful Web-developer - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How To Be A Successful Web-developer (18370 Views)

12 Tips For Becoming A Successful Web Designer - Kinginvahala / 10 Top Secrets To Become A Successful Blogger / Tips For Creating A Successful Blog/Site (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 8:18pm On Apr 19, 2015
Adeyinka12:
Wao,this is intresting,i love it but i notice something why some people don't normally talk on dreamweaver or is it hard? Please quote me wisely

HONESTLY eventhough i know it. Its hard for me oh. You have to do all the work yourself. Its better for static websites though.
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 6:48am On Apr 21, 2015
4DAYS TO GO

Cedarhostng is a subsidiary of BAYCRYSTAL. Tap into our promo today.
register your website name of your choice with us to get started in need of assistance we provide 247support online to guide you.

BAYCRYSTAL PROMO IS ON...........

Do you know you can own a free website,forum,blog,ecommerce and lots more on www.cedarhostng.com

All you need is subscribe to any of our hosting plan we have over 500+ script to enable you build your website all by yourself.

All features such as email,database,bandwidth etc are unlimited no restrictions

Bonus: we provide you support till you able to build your full functional website
Free sms account with free units on www.eadesms.com
Free web hosting manual for those aspiring to become a reseller with us

begins now and offer ends on 25th April 2015.

we accept payment via online payment,bank,ATM Transfer e.tc
follow us on
www.facebook.com/baycrystal
bbm:532fc7c5
call/whatsapp 08186219002

To email us open a support ticket after you must have login to your account on www.cedarhostng.com
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 7:44am On Apr 27, 2015
SECURING YOU WORDPRESS

Use strong passwords:
Your password should contain at least a combination of one capital letter, number, and special character, eg. R0ad*#pAssw0rd7*?

Prevent directory browsing on your server:
All you have to do is open the ‘.htaccess’ file in the directory you installed WordPress and add ‘Options -Indexes‘ (without the quotes).

Prevent admin username enumeration:
Username enumeration is a process of determining the usernames on your website. To prevent hackers from knowing this, add the following again to your .htaccess file :
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} author=d
RewriteRule ^/? [L,R=301]

Disable file editing inside WordPress:
Open your wp-config.php file and add this – define(‘DISALLOW_FILE_EDIT’, true);
line above the //comment that says don’t edit beyond this point.

Set the right file/folder permissions:
When you log in to your web host via ftp or cPanel, make sure the file permission for the following are set accordingly
Folders : 755
Files : 644
Wp-config.php file : 444

Hide your WordPress version:
Add the following line to your functions.php file in your theme
remove_action (‘wp_head’, ‘wp_generator’);

YOU CAN ALSO USE ANY OF THIS PLUGINS if above is too hard

iThemes Security (formerly Better WP security)
www.wordpress.org/plugins/better-wp-security/

Wordfence (I use this personally, also prevents brute force attacks)
www.wordpress.org/plugins/wordfence/

Rublon (for two factor authentication)
www.wordpress.org/plugins/rublon/

Source: @obidisocial

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 7:58am On Apr 27, 2015
LESSON: BUILDING A FORUM ON WORDPRESS
This tutorial will guide you in building a forum on wordpress.
Before we begin, register your domain name and get a web-host.

For practice purpose, i suggest you get a free host at http://www.hostinger.co.uk/
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by laclass(m): 10:21am On Apr 27, 2015
Nice one
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by megamindmaster(m): 10:31am On Apr 27, 2015
you are doing an amazing job here. so much eye openers for me too. i am so following. will ask some questions as they arise. kudos OP.
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by ClintonNzedimma(m): 10:34am On Apr 27, 2015
oapeleo:
LESSON: BUILDING A FORUM ON WORDPRESS
This tutorial will guide you in building a forum on wordpress.
Before we begin, register your domain name and get a web-host.

For practice purpose, i suggest you get a free host at http://www.hostinger.co.uk/
Nice Thread OP.
I use Wapka for my web design.
Review my sites www.novacomng.com
one of my clients: www.rovalpaints.com
They both have pc view.
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by jameslucy: 10:38am On Apr 27, 2015
oapeleo:
Thanks guys

LESSON TWO: FINDING THE RIGHT HOST
When it comes to small projects i use whogohost or syskay.com. Hostgator and Godaddy for big projects.

Its advisable to create a separate account for your clients. So if they wish to discontinue your services, you can hand over to them their login details to cpanel and others. If the webhost supports an affiliate program, use it on their account. And get discount for other jobs.

Whogohost and syskay.com are both nigeria webhost providers and are both good. But syskay now has a problem with sending mails.
All mails sent from the website you hosting with them goes to spam box. I dont know why?
This cost me my reputation at a time. An ecommerce site i created had all its payment, cart, check out messages going to the mail spam. This would ruin the reputation of your site. So lets put it aside for now. (Tested one 3 others websites same problem)

I havent had any problem with whogohost yet. And they have 24 hours customer care service, cheaper, good speed, affiliate program and help you with webpay integration.

IF YOU KNOW ANY OTHER GOOD NIGERIA WEB HOST BLA BLA LET US KNOW

If you doing a big project go for foreign hosts like hostgator or godaddy. They are more expensive (dollar ish u know) but reliable. They can handle websites with lost of traffic.

Now a lil secret, to get cheaper charge on hostgator use this coupon SOCIAL.

Next lesson FINDING THE RIGHT CMS
please comment to encourage more post.

I appreciate this post & interested in becoming a web designer cos I'm a gospel music artiste & wonto use it for myself & ministry. Pls can u teach(guide) me?

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Olucheye(m): 10:45am On Apr 27, 2015
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 10:49am On Apr 27, 2015
Olucheye:
Kudos on the selfless work OP.
Kindly give me an email i could reach you on.
I have some couple of questions away from this topic but tech related.

Oapeleo@gmail.com
U can also find my whatsapp number above

Regards.
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 10:57am On Apr 27, 2015
starting class on wordpress forum in 10minutes time
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 11:01am On Apr 27, 2015
INSTALLING WORDPRESS AND PLUGIN

Too learn how to install wordpress click here
www.apeledesigns.com/class/topic/building-a-business-website-using-wordpress/

Wordpress forum plugin is bbpress

bbPress is a forum software built the WordPress way. It uses your existing WordPress core which makes it really easy to add a forum in WordPress with bbPress. It is extensible, so you can add additional add-on plugins to extend the functionality. bbPress is light-weight and faster than other popular open source forum softwares.

How to install it.
bbPress is available as a WordPress plugin. You can install it like you would install any other WordPress plugin. Simply log in to your WordPress admin area and go to Plugins » Add New . Search for bbPress and then select bbPress from results. Install and activate the plugin. Upon activation you will see the welcome screen for bbPress.
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 11:03am On Apr 27, 2015
Creating a Forum with bbPress in WordPress

Once installed, bbPress adds Forums, Topics and Replies menu items in your WordPress admin.

Click on Forum » New Forum. This will take you to a screen similar to WordPress post edit area. Provide a title for your forum and enter a little description of it. Then press the publish button.
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 11:06am On Apr 27, 2015
Displaying bbPress Forum in the Front End of WordPress

Now that you have created a few forums, it is time to display those forums on the front end of your WordPress website. Create a new WordPress page. Give this page a title, like Forum, Community, Support Forums, etc. Paste the following shortcode in your page:

[bbp-forum-index]

Turn off comments and trackbacks on this page and then publish it.

Go to Appearance » Menus and add this page to your navigation menu.

Now when a user clicks on this page, it will show your main forum index.

Integrating bbPress with your WordPress Theme
In most cases, you would probably want to open your forum for new registrations. To do that you need to open your website for registrations.

Go to Settings » General, check the box next to “Any one can register” to allow registrations on your website.

Now that your website is open for registration, the first thing that your forum participants would look for is a registration page. To create this simply create a WordPress page, and give it a title, e.g. Register. Add shortcode [bbp-register] and publish the page.

Another page your users would need is the lost password recovery page. Create another WordPress page, give it a title e.g. Lost Password. Add this shortcode to the page [bbp-lost-pass] and publish the page.

bbPress comes with a handful of widgets. Go to Appearance » Widgets to check those widgets. The most important widget that you would need is the (bbPress) Login Widget. Drag and drop Login Widget to your sidebar or any other widget area. Enter the URI(s) for the registration and lost password pages and save the widget.
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 11:07am On Apr 27, 2015
Managing bbPress Forum Settings

Unlike other popular forum software, bbPress has a very simplified configuration page. To manage settings for your bbPress forums, go to Settings » Forums. This is the bbPress settings page from where you can control several aspects of your forum

The first option you would see on Forums Settings page is “Disallow editing after”. Default option for this setting is 5 minutes. This setting allows Forum participants to edit their posts after publishing. After this time they will no longer be able to edit their posts. However, a forum Keymaster or Moderator can over ride this setting.

The second option “Throttle posting every” 10 seconds is basically a forum flood protection measure. It allows you to control after how much time a new post should appear on the forum.

On the settings page you can configure forum and topic slug as well as the number of topics and posts to appear per page. You can also allow users to subscribe to topics or add topics as favorites.
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 11:09am On Apr 27, 2015
User Roles in bbPress

bbPress comes with five pre-defined roles, each with different capabilities.

1. Keymaster – The website owner or the WordPress administrator is automatically assigned the Keymaster role when they install bbPress. A Keymaster can delete and create forums, can create, edit, delete all posts, topics, forums.

2. Moderators – Users with moderator user role have access to moderation tools, which they can use to moderate forums, topics, and posts.

3. Participants – This is the default user role, participants can create and edit their own topics and posts, they can favorite and subscribe to topics.

4. Spectators – Spectators have a read only access to public forums, topics and posts.

5. Blocked – When a user is blocked all their capabilities are blocked. They can still read publicly viewable topics and posts, but can not participate in the forums.
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 11:19am On Apr 27, 2015
PLUGIN YOU NEED

bbpress Simple View Counts
https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/bbpress-simple-view-counts.0.1.zip

bbPress Topic Thumbnails
https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/bbpress-topic-thumbnails.1.2.zip

bbP Topic Views
https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/bbp-topic-views.zip

bbp user online status
https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/bbp-user-online-status.zip

GD bbPress Attachments
https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/gd-bbpress-attachments.zip

PLUGINS YOU MIGHT NEED OR NOT NEED
1. Global Hide Toolbar
wordpress plugin wp global hide admin tool bar add options to disable front end adminbar or toolbar according to logged in user roles
https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/global-admin-bar-hide-or-remove.1.6.1.zip

2. WordPress Social Login
THIS WILL MAKE login and signup easy and encouraging
WordPress Social Login allow your visitors to comment and login with social networks such as Twitter, Facebook, Google, Yahoo and more.
https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/wordpress-social-login.2.2.3.zip
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 11:21am On Apr 27, 2015
Thank You Your Tips Are Really Helpful Y'all should kindly help me review this www.koresma.org
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 11:23am On Apr 27, 2015
conclusion
Did you Next create a new page and associate it with the newly created forum?
If not, just create one and add this short code to the text box
[bbp-forum-index]

THANKS FOR YOU TIME
www.apeledesigns.com/class
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by bros1234(m): 11:24am On Apr 27, 2015
Thank you for taking time to write all this for nairalanders.

May God bless you.

If you have some extra time, check out our web hosting company. We are using VPS servers from HG ang other top hosts and ca assure you that we are reliable. Shoot me a mail and we could work out a great partnership.

http://morebase.com

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 11:26am On Apr 27, 2015
[quote author=jameslucy post=33155431][/quote]

just follow my post daily or reach me via whatsapp

or join my class online www.apeledesigns.com/class
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 11:27am On Apr 27, 2015
bros1234:
Thank you for taking time to write all this for nairalanders.

May God bless you.

If you have some extra time, check out our web hosting company. We are using VPS servers from HG ang other top hosts and ca assure you that we are reliable. Shoot me a mail and we could work out a great partnership.

http://morebase.com

okay sir
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by talk2chixy(m): 11:32am On Apr 27, 2015
oapeleo:
Thanks guys

LESSON TWO: FINDING THE RIGHT HOST
When it comes to small projects i use whogohost or syskay.com. Hostgator and Godaddy for big projects.

Its advisable to create a separate account for your clients. So if they wish to discontinue your services, you can hand over to them their login details to cpanel and others. If the webhost supports an affiliate program, use it on their account. And get discount for other jobs.

Whogohost and syskay.com are both nigeria webhost providers and are both good. But syskay now has a problem with sending mails.
All mails sent from the website you hosting with them goes to spam box. I dont know why?
This cost me my reputation at a time. An ecommerce site i created had all its payment, cart, check out messages going to the mail spam. This would ruin the reputation of your site. So lets put it aside for now. (Tested one 3 others websites same problem)

I havent had any problem with whogohost yet. And they have 24 hours customer care service, cheaper, good speed, affiliate program and help you with webpay integration.

IF YOU KNOW ANY OTHER GOOD NIGERIA WEB HOST BLA BLA LET US KNOW

If you doing a big project go for foreign hosts like hostgator or godaddy. They are more expensive (dollar ish u know) but reliable. They can handle websites with lost of traffic.

Now a lil secret, to get cheaper charge on hostgator use this coupon SOCIAL.

Next lesson FINDING THE RIGHT CMS
please comment to encourage more post.

I use HOSTGATOR and its awesome and reliable. Even with the dollar ish, its not as expensive. What people want is reliability and at least 99% up time.

Great post tho

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by ehubaba(m): 11:33am On Apr 27, 2015
Bros well done. I use word press how can I get themes?
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 11:34am On Apr 27, 2015
ehubaba:
Bros well done. I use word press how can I get themes?

visit www.wpyak.com
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by OXCUBA: 11:36am On Apr 27, 2015
oapeleo:
Thanks guys

LESSON THREE: FINDING THE RIGHT CMS
Most web-developers claim to do their website the hardcore way. Lie. We all use cms and you know it.
content management system (CMS) is a computer application that allows publishing, editing and modifying content, organizing, deleting as well as maintenance from a central interface.
E.g, wordpress, drupal, joomla,SilverStripe,Cushy,frog, modx,etc etc.
Anybody can be a web-developer over night.

There are lots of cms out there, you will get confused for sure if u search.
You must have an idea of what you want to create before you choose.

For me wordpress can create anything at all as far as web is concerned.
Has millions of themes, plugins, etc. Easy to understand. Fast and you can do many wesites following thesame partner at the same time.

But easily hacked and isnt recommended for ecommerce websites or sites that involve payment.
I recommened opencart and others.

For social communities, use elgg, etc.
For forums, use phpbb

I know lots of cms out there for different purposes. Wont bore you with the full list. You can whatsapp me for one on one 08153973028 , or call 08068280130

Please dont start googling to find them. You can get any cms, themes in the world from www.nulledphp.com (your friends wont even tell you this). And when you contact me, i will just give you link to the exact one to download from there. Infact all other sites that sell or share them, get it from here. They update every day. Yeah!

To get the exact theme you want just search
E.g. business theme and the endless list shows.

USE WISELY.

Next lesson, how to use wordpress professionally, safe and nobody will know.

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by ritzytbabs(m): 11:39am On Apr 27, 2015
nice thread, am also a web developer in the making....following
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 11:57am On Apr 27, 2015
THE TUTORIAL ABOVE WAS FOR CREATING FORUMS USING WORDPRESS
If you want to view it with image guide, which will be more descriptive, click link below:
http://apeledesigns.com/class/topic/creating-a-professional-blog-from-scratch/
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by francollimasso: 12:05pm On Apr 27, 2015
am learning asp.net, what advice do u HV 4 me , should I leave it n face cms.
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by peteruuu(m): 12:05pm On Apr 27, 2015
smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Controvesial Queen: Adeola Diadem Best Buddy Kwinrach Partied In Bikini / How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking / Instagram Sorry For Adding 'Terrorist' To Some Palestinian User Bios

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.