Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,260 members, 7,807,899 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:07 PM

How To Be A Successful Web-developer - Webmasters (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How To Be A Successful Web-developer (18368 Views)

12 Tips For Becoming A Successful Web Designer - Kinginvahala / 10 Top Secrets To Become A Successful Blogger / Tips For Creating A Successful Blog/Site (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 12:05pm On Apr 27, 2015
please what should our next class be on?

do you have any questions?

you can reach me

whatsapp 08153973028

BBM 556560BD

or join my new class www.apeledesigns.com/class
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 12:08pm On Apr 27, 2015
francollimasso:
am learning asp.net, what advice do u HV 4 me , should I leave it n face cms.

i think so
yeah
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Lordnewton1(m): 12:19pm On Apr 27, 2015
Working as a freelancer has more disadvantages. My candid advice would b to work for a start-up
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Lordnewton1(m): 12:21pm On Apr 27, 2015
Adeyinka12:
Wao,this is intresting,i love it but i notice something why some people don't normally talk on dreamweaver or is it hard? Please quote me wisely
dream weaver is not standard
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 12:23pm On Apr 27, 2015
Lordnewton1:
Working as a freelancer has more disadvantages. My candid advice would b to work for a start-up
that is if one has that option. Aluta continua, victoria ascerta!

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by ritzytbabs(m): 12:30pm On Apr 27, 2015
francollimasso:
am learning asp.net, what advice do u HV 4 me , should I leave it n face cms.

there is no harm in learning it, i studied mech.engr buh today glory be to God i make a living via web development. so my advice, learn it and if possible others too.
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Lordnewton1(m): 12:34pm On Apr 27, 2015
xcapizt:
that is if one has that option. Aluta continua, victoria ascerta!
very true, but to have a future in web design freelancing is not an option ...just short-term
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 12:35pm On Apr 27, 2015
Since nobody has said want he wants to learn next

next lesson will be on building a
social community using wordpress
then
building a shopping website using wordpress
then
building a professional blog using wordpress

then will have few mores leasons on wordpress, then graduate to more advance stuff

stay tunned.
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 12:40pm On Apr 27, 2015
Lordnewton1:
very true, but to have a future in web design freelancing is not an option ...just short-term
freelancers of today, start-up owners of tomorrow. Most freelancers are in it as an alternative/additional income stream. The truth is web design is getting easier by the day, and one day web designers as we know them today will be phased out because even the dumbest nitwit who knows how to click, drag and drop can create his own website. So freelance or start-up still same destiny, hardcore programming is the deal!

4 Likes

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Adeyinka12(m): 12:44pm On Apr 27, 2015
Lordnewton1:
dream weaver is not standard
as how please?
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Lordnewton1(m): 12:47pm On Apr 27, 2015
Adeyinka12:
as how please?
its a frame work which is not always flexible
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Lordnewton1(m): 1:04pm On Apr 27, 2015
xcapizt:
freelancers of today, start-up owners of tomorrow. Most freelancers are in it as an alternative/additional income stream. The truth is web design is getting easier by the day, and one day web designers as we know them today will be phased out because even the dumbest idiot who knows how to click, drag and drop can create his own website.
and thats where you got it all wrong. The market is large and even Nigeria is yet to experience tech boom. Infact nothing has begined here (but i believe in jumia and konga) There will always be need for web designer and programmer as every dam thing u can think of is on the internet. No matter how easy u think everyone get it some are not just cut-out for it.
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by ritzytbabs(m): 1:11pm On Apr 27, 2015
Adeyinka12:
Wao,this is intresting,i love it but i notice something why some people don't normally talk on dreamweaver or is it hard? Please quote me wisely

For web design beginners DW helps you further understand what coding does and how making a mistake effects the coding of site. its code highlighting feature helps you quickly scan your code as well as spot any errors. With each type of code there is a different set of highlights to help you differentiate between HTML, CSS, PHP, Javascript etc...you get to master codes with it. That said, DW can make you a lazy web designer if you are not careful, for me its just a tool to enhance your coding not make it.
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 1:24pm On Apr 27, 2015
Lordnewton1:
and thats where you got it all wrong. The market is large and even Nigeria is yet to experience tech boom. Infact nothing has begined here (but i believe in jumia and konga) There will always be need for web designer and programmer as every dam thing u can think of is on the internet. No matter how easy u think everyone get it some are not just cut-out for it.

I agree that the tech boom is yet to blow to the extent that even when virtually everyone is online in a way, many SMEs still don't think they need websites (and general online presence), at least the ones I've come across. When I said web designers "AS WE KNOW THEM TODAY" I was refering to all of us that majorly rely on CMSs (no offence) and not the whole web business. I am emphasizing the caveat now. Bro I can't be so blind as not to see the reality that web is the present and the future since virtually everything has moved or is moving online - applications that have priorly been stand-alone desktop software are moving, even OSs and computer storage.

I'm eager for the tech bubble in Naija to fully form but when it burst one will need more than CMS knowledge to remain relevant. That is what I'm trying to say.

2 Likes

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 1:25pm On Apr 27, 2015
Adeyinka12:
dreamweaver is not hard. Infact nothing is hard until you practice and learn the perfectly

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by sikaxchange: 1:51pm On Apr 27, 2015
helpful post thanks
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Hezzymania(m): 1:55pm On Apr 27, 2015
oapeleo:
Thanks guys

LESSON TWO: FINDING THE RIGHT HOST
When it comes to small projects i use whogohost or syskay.com. Hostgator and Godaddy for big projects.

Its advisable to create a separate account for your clients. So if they wish to discontinue your services, you can hand over to them their login details to cpanel and others. If the webhost supports an affiliate program, use it on their account. And get discount for other jobs.

Whogohost and syskay.com are both nigeria webhost providers and are both good. But syskay now has a problem with sending mails.
All mails sent from the website you hosting with them goes to spam box. I dont know why?
This cost me my reputation at a time. An ecommerce site i created had all its payment, cart, check out messages going to the mail spam. This would ruin the reputation of your site. So lets put it aside for now. (Tested one 3 others websites same problem)

I havent had any problem with whogohost yet. And they have 24 hours customer care service, cheaper, good speed, affiliate program and help you with webpay integration.

IF YOU KNOW ANY OTHER GOOD NIGERIA WEB HOST BLA BLA LET US KNOW

If you doing a big project go for foreign hosts like hostgator or godaddy. They are more expensive (dollar ish u know) but reliable. They can handle websites with lost of traffic.

Now a lil secret, to get cheaper charge on hostgator use this coupon SOCIAL.

Next lesson FINDING THE RIGHT CMS
please comment to encourage more post.

hi op, what is your opinion about iPage, I've been longing to host my website on their server?
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by kefmawin: 2:00pm On Apr 27, 2015
oapeleo is just on point

Keep up the good work..

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Godwinsilas(m): 2:20pm On Apr 27, 2015
oapeleo:

This a very neat work

Try changing your logo (thanks vicben)
to something "allspiredish". You could just leave the text or make a slim logo of transparent background.

Try to remove the footer infomation too
+
Copyright © 2015. ALLSPIRED - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template

Proudly powered by Blogger (thought it was wordpress). But remove it though.

The side bar is perfect, love the effect.
Please for now remove the adds. Its kinda frustrates new readers sometimes.
If its a new blog get enough hits before you monetize.

The bolded part is my problem with newbies, they all want money easily where as they are not ready to spend N1.
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Amastermovic(m): 3:32pm On Apr 27, 2015
How to create a forum as simple as Nairaland but targeted to students only... Please need that
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by kingpin911: 3:44pm On Apr 27, 2015
drop more tips bru. am one of u in d making
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by jasmine01s: 3:46pm On Apr 27, 2015
Amastermovic:
How to create a forum as simple as Nairaland but targeted to students only... Please need that

i think I have someone that can help with that drop your whatsapp number.
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by jasmine01s: 3:47pm On Apr 27, 2015
xcapizt:

I agree that the tech boom is yet to blow to the extent that even when virtually everyone is online in a way, many SMEs still don't think they need websites (and general online presence), at least the ones I've come across. When I said web designers "AS WE KNOW THEM TODAY" I was refering to all of us that majorly rely on CMSs (no offence) and not the whole web business. I am emphasizing the caveat now. Bro I can't be so blind as not to see the reality that web is the present and the future since virtually everything has moved or is moving online - applications that have priorly been stand-alone desktop software are moving, even OSs and computer storage.

I'm eager for the tech bubble in Naija to fully form but when it burst one will need more than CMS knowledge to remain relevant. That is what I'm trying to say.
I agree with you totally

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Lordnewton1(m): 3:51pm On Apr 27, 2015
xcapizt:

. Exactly!

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by tabisegroup(m): 3:55pm On Apr 27, 2015
Elo oapeleo can I get ur email or number let's discuss privately.. 08182236710
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 4:01pm On Apr 27, 2015
tabisegroup:
Elo oapeleo can I get ur email or number let's discuss privately.. 08182236710

Oapeleo@gmail.com
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by ogaprime(m): 4:22pm On Apr 27, 2015
oapeleo:
Hello reader, am Apele, a civil engineer by profession and web-developer for extra charge.
Am not starting this thread to paste adds or show people that i am successful in web design. I am using it as a medium to reach struggling web-developers like me, so we can help ourselves.

LESSON ONE : HOW TO GET WEB DESIGN JOBS
Its good to post your contacts on nairaland for people to call you. But my guy you might be wasting your time. Based on my experience after pasting my adds on several threads and creating topics over and over again. The only people that call me are fellow web-designers, who just want to fool me and find the cms am using, children that just want to call to say hi, people that promise and promise and never get back to you.

Infact even threads that say "we need a web-designer" are fake. Someone is laughing at the other side watching us drop our contacts. Dont waste your time bros.

You cant find good jobs on the internet, you have to use the old school method. That one helps me better.

It starts with writing a web-proposal of not more than 6 pages.
It should contain
What website is
Importance and why a client should have it
About your company
Works you have done or demos if you are new.
Bill
And contact

If you cant write your proposal, then you not ready. Make the cover as attractive as possible and make several prints of it.

On the deal day, look good and confident, smell nices, etc.

Places to go to
Schools, churches, companies, hotels, etc.

Walk in and ask for their manager and drop your proposal with him.
Your bravery will pay.

Please if you find this thread useful, kindly comment to make me carry on. There are several things i want to show you.

Hello sir, nice work...I am a management student (through with university), I have basic computer knowledge, I can operate a computer above 70%. I want to know if I can build a web site. Building website requires learn programming,database, using php etc won't wordpress or other cms require learning programming?? Because I want to build a website for a project...

How can I learn how to build one professionally...
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 5:11pm On Apr 27, 2015
ogaprime:

Hello sir, nice work...I am a management student (through with university), I have basic computer knowledge, I can operate a computer above 70%. I want to know if I can build a web site. Building website requires learn programming,database, using php etc won't wordpress or other cms require learning programming?? Because I want to build a website for a project...

How can I learn how to build one professionally...

All u need is a laptop, good connection and basic html knowledge for wordpress
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by ogaprime(m): 5:50pm On Apr 27, 2015
oapeleo:

All u need is a laptop, good connection and basic html knowledge for wordpress

Thanks...you know going into an unfamiliar area is not easy...I once went for lessons on web stuffs learning database and php. Bros, I couldn't get. I had to stop because of service year...

I hope html is easy to assimilate??
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by jydor4real94(m): 6:28pm On Apr 27, 2015
oapeleo:
Thanks guys

LESSON THREE: FINDING THE RIGHT CMS
Most web-developers claim to do their website the hardcore way. Lie. We all use cms and you know it.
content management system (CMS) is a computer application that allows publishing, editing and modifying content, organizing, deleting as well as maintenance from a central interface.
E.g, wordpress, drupal, joomla,SilverStripe,Cushy,frog, modx,etc etc.
Anybody can be a web-developer over night.

There are lots of cms out there, you will get confused for sure if u search.
You must have an idea of what you want to create before you choose.

For me wordpress can create anything at all as far as web is concerned.
Has millions of themes, plugins, etc. Easy to understand. Fast and you can do many wesites following thesame partner at the same time.

But easily hacked and isnt recommended for ecommerce websites or sites that involve payment.
I recommened opencart and others.

For social communities, use elgg, etc.
For forums, use phpbb

I know lots of cms out there for different purposes. Wont bore you with the full list. You can whatsapp me for one on one 08153973028 , or call 08068280130

Please dont start googling to find them. You can get any cms, themes in the world from www.nulledphp.com (your friends wont even tell you this). And when you contact me, i will just give you link to the exact one to download from there. Infact all other sites that sell or share them, get it from here. They update every day. Yeah!

To get the exact theme you want just search
E.g. business theme and the endless list shows.

USE WISELY.

Next lesson, how to use wordpress professionally, safe and nobody will know.

Ride on brother, u r doing a great job...

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by oapeleo1: 6:58pm On Apr 27, 2015
ogaprime:

Thanks...you know going into an unfamiliar area is not easy...I once went for lessons on web stuffs learning database and php. Bros, I couldn't get. I had to stop because of service year...

I hope html is easy to assimilate??

its very easy to assimilate
its just the normal href codes, b, br, hr ish. no need to go that far though.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Controvesial Queen: Adeola Diadem Best Buddy Kwinrach Partied In Bikini / How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking / Instagram Sorry For Adding 'Terrorist' To Some Palestinian User Bios

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.