Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,554 members, 7,809,025 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:12 PM

Ofada Rice Sauce Recipe - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Ofada Rice Sauce Recipe (9011 Views)

Oven Roasted Plantain & An Unusual Vegetable Sauce Recipe / How To Make Ofada Rice Sauce (ayamase) / How To Make Garden Egg Sauce (recipe) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ofada Rice Sauce Recipe by Amy84(f): 9:23pm On Jan 23, 2009
Hi,
My husband loves Ofada rice, but its quite expensive to buy the already cooked one in London. Pls i need recipe for the sauce. I want to surprise him next weekend. tongue
Re: Ofada Rice Sauce Recipe by Amy84(f): 1:18pm On Jan 24, 2009
some1 shld pls bail me out!
Re: Ofada Rice Sauce Recipe by ifyalways(f): 8:36pm On Jan 24, 2009
i love Ofada rice too.dont know how to prepare it though embarassed
where is Toyosi and hauwa ?
Re: Ofada Rice Sauce Recipe by TOYOSI20(f): 12:37am On Jan 26, 2009
ifyalways:

i love Ofada rice too.dont know how to prepare it though embarassed
where is Toyosi and hauwa ?

Haha. . . .big sis whats up naa, na so ur face scace. . . any ways, how ma nephews doing?kiss kiss

Happy Sunday to ya, i see u holding down the forte too, bless u!! wink

@ Op

I was able to get the recepie for yha. . . .so here goes. . . .

Ingredients:
Tomatoes, enough to make a small pot of stew
Tomatoe puree, one small tin
Red pepper (what we Yoruba's calll 'rodo')
Maggi, or any seasoning of your choice
Salt
Garlic cloves, two small ones
Onions, two medium-sized bulbs
Red oil
Green pepper, (the type you buy for fried rice, what oyinbo calls 'dummbell' [or is it drumbells?])
Garden egg, 3 large bulbs
locust beans, (what we call 'iru')
The 'Extras' - diced beef, shredded stock fish, 'roundabout', ponmo, shaki, etc

Procedure:

Step 1: Chop the onions into tiny bits. Some people prefer to blend it after chopping, so it is not visible for those who do not like to see it in the meal. Do the same to the garlic cloves. Blend the tomatoes to a fine paste. Dice the red and green pepper into tiny pieces, keep the seeds.

Step 2: Boil the garden egg until a bit tender. Skin the bulbs and mash up until soft and pasty. Blend the locust beans to a fine paste. Boil the meat pieces to be used as 'Extras'.

Step 3: Put the pot on the burner. Make sure that you make the stew out in the open or when no one is around that might choke from the heat. Heat up the selected pot until there is a lot of heat emanating from inside. Add the oil (enough to make an 'Ijesha' stew - which means at the end of the cooking, there should still be oil enough to drain on top of the stew), and wait for it to heat up as well. When there is more vapour coming out of the pot, add salt.

Step 4: Add the onion, locust beans and garlic paste. Stir, and add the tomato puree. Stir

Step 5: Add the diced pepper and stir, then add the garden egg paste. The garden egg will absorb most of the oil. Add your seasoning. Stir.

Step 5: Taste the stew. By now it should be full of the customary seeds, and at the same time peppery and delicious.

Step 6: Add the pieces of stock fish, ponmo, diced beef, shaki, 'roundabout' and other stuff you want the eaters to crunch their teeth on. Stir

Serve with rice, on beans, and enjoy!

Good luck to ya too!! smiley
Re: Ofada Rice Sauce Recipe by Amy84(f): 2:23pm On Jan 26, 2009
@toyosi
thanks a lot. tongue
Re: Ofada Rice Sauce Recipe by Moyola(f): 1:53pm On Jan 27, 2009
Ofada rice can stink! angry

Buh itz 9c n healthier than other types of rice! tongue
Re: Ofada Rice Sauce Recipe by TOYOSI20(f): 6:07am On Jan 29, 2009
Amy84:

@toyosi
thanks a lot. tongue

U welcome dear wink
Re: Ofada Rice Sauce Recipe by Pepeye(f): 7:27am On Jan 29, 2009
sounds delicious
Re: Ofada Rice Sauce Recipe by Leilah(f): 11:00pm On Feb 04, 2009
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-159672.0.html#msg2650511

is this not the same of as the one above? do you really have to have garden eggs?
Re: Ofada Rice Sauce Recipe by Hauwa1: 4:02am On Feb 05, 2009
nice one Toyosi. a lil correction: the hot pepper is Atarodo or Rodo. the one you referred to is Tatashe

I miss tatashe so much. i think it is what give nig stews and jollof rice their richness.
Re: Ofada Rice Sauce Recipe by Hauwa1: 4:04am On Feb 05, 2009
can i replace Palm oil with Vegetable oil for ofada rice sauce??
Re: Ofada Rice Sauce Recipe by argent(f): 8:38am On Feb 05, 2009
*Hauwa*:

can i replace Palm oil with Vegetable oil for ofada rice sauce??

Sure, you can. But Ofada rice sauce tastes a lot better when palm oil is used.
Re: Ofada Rice Sauce Recipe by ebonie(f): 1:36pm On Feb 21, 2009
For the traditional ijebu ofada stew

green/unripe ata rodo (the small roundish pepper)
tatashe
onions
locust beans (iru)
palm oil
orishirishi (meat, cowleg, ponmo, shaki, liver, roundabout)
salt
seasoning (knorr, maggi)

Blend the ata rodo, tatshe and onions. do this just once so the pepper is not smooth.
boil the meat, cowleg, ponmo, shaki, liver, roundabout and cut into small pieces when cooked.
put the palm oil on fire and bleach.
add the locust beans, then the blended pepper. stir at intervals till almost cooked.
add salt and seasoning.
add the diced meat, cowleg, ponmo, shaki, liver, roundabout with very little meat stock.
stir till cooked.

serve with ofada rice or plain rice.

1 Like

Re: Ofada Rice Sauce Recipe by Ninigirl(f): 3:01pm On Mar 04, 2011
Woooo Hoooo grin grin I did it without burning my house down and it came out Perfect Perfect Perfect tongue,
All i used was
2 Red Peppers
2 Green Peppers
1 Onion
and spices
As for the Palm Oil, i actually had to duck tape my entire pot (). For 30 mins approximately on high heat, let it cool for 5 min then heated it up again before i added the blended ingredients, I was a bit worried about how bitter the mixture was at first due to the burnt oil. But when i cooked it for another 15 mins, added the sauces and mixed meat, That bitterness transformed to a total delicacy,

I'm so proud of myself, my bf finished everything within a day and a half undecided. i had to hide some for myself.

(1) (Reply)

Recipe For Peppersoup. . . .thanks / Body Fat Punch / Best Food For Life: Which Food Do You Eat Everyday?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.