Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,876 members, 7,806,513 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:40 PM

Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries (21355 Views)

Any Better Africa English Speaking Country? / Mistakes Made By First Timers Travelling By Air / Chinese Man Speaking Pidgin On Plane To A Nigeria Woman During A Fight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by KingTom(m): 2:30pm On Apr 08, 2015
SammyHoe:

Je veux que tout
vous ĂȘtes gourmand! grin grin grin
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by hezsquirt(m): 2:31pm On Apr 08, 2015
tempem:
Lol!

* holds head, laughs so high; uttering words like: "ojigbijigbi" * shakes head profusely*

i was stopped by French police, they asked for my passport, it wasn't with me...i tried begging them,,i was saying 'merci' thinking i was begging not knowing 'merci' actually means "thank u"

8 Likes

Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by Gmekx(m): 2:33pm On Apr 08, 2015
babeface3:
I remember using a liquid soap I bought in an Italian supermarket as a body cream for almost one year before my German roommate that could read Italian discovered my folly. Same thing with packaged dog food in an attempt to try new thing grin

Whats your own experience?

I bought shampoo after being told it was cream at a Turkish supermarket. Used it for one week before I realized
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by Hefeoluwa1: 2:39pm On Apr 08, 2015
Sat at the department desk and still missed my flight to London...lol
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by Bootylicious(f): 2:40pm On Apr 08, 2015
Durin my vacatn to Russia, I wanted to buy body cream,I saw a FA product they wrote cream,i used it 4 3days, on d 4th day wen I was abt rubbing my body a Friend dats been in Ru 4 long saw d supposed cream and yelled it's soap not Cream,dat liquid body wash is called cream in Ru, I poured some on my hand and water it started forming cry cry cry few days later I went to d supermarket called magazine in russia,i wanted to boy yoghurt and ended up goin home wit mayonnaise ,i opened d little seal and poured some into th cup,took a spoon and lo and behold it was mayonnaise

3 Likes

Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by dublinkmy6: 2:40pm On Apr 08, 2015
If you never experience life for those kin countries eh, you no go know wetin deaf and dumb dey face.
Speaking from experience.
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by lepasharon(f): 2:50pm On Apr 08, 2015
Tufanja:
France
In a restaurant I ordered "steak tartare". Not knowing it contained minced raw beef with on top of it a raw egg (google it, you will see!). My face at the moment I discovered it must have been priceless....my friend still bringing up this story at any occasion.

France...again
I wanted to handwash my clothes in the sink of my hostel but instead of buying liquid laundry detergent I grabbed the fabric softener liquid. I was so focussed on finding something nice lavender smelling...

Italy
I was still teenager back then. It was a very classy restaurant where there were fish tanks all around in the interior, even through the glass table you could see fish swimming while eating. You were supposed to point on the fish you wanted to eat and they wld get it for you. I was very fascinated and impressed by the whole experience. When I got a lobster I did act like I was experienced in dining out but I had no clue how to eat the poor thing. I started chewing and chewing. Trying to hide the cracking sounds in my mouth. In the meantime, I tried to act like normal but I started to feel pretty uncomfi. Didn't manage well to keep the conversation going with my mouth full of hard things. I didnt dare to ask the company i was traveling with. Didn't want to come across stupid. Just my face when I spied at other tables and found out that you were not supposed to eat the shell and I was about to leave an empty plate...

Many more embarrassing stories in stock cheesy
grin LOL Damn ! What happened to google translate though ?
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by Nobody: 3:02pm On Apr 08, 2015
@lepasharon

well, two of the three stories happened before the smartphone entered my pocket, so no google translate. And about the other one...well, snapping pictures all day and at the end of the day when its groceries time...the usual pain with smartphones...battery dead!
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by nsiazu: 3:04pm On Apr 08, 2015
Attending bible studies is really a nighmare for me coz they don't use English. Only sunday service from 6-10am and i usually feel gutted but somehow they usuall print an English version of bible studies.

1 Like

Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by nsiazu: 3:09pm On Apr 08, 2015
Another is speaking portugues by force because of the deal I had in Inter de jao, soa paulo Brazil. I usually type when talking with my boss lols.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by WisePer: 3:09pm On Apr 08, 2015
Mine was in the Paris, I was on my way to CDG Airport enroute Naija, boarded a Train, when we got to Massy Palasieu, the train stopped and there was an announcement, Omo, I tanda for my seat, I no know say na for all man to disembark and join the other train.
The lady that shared the same coach with me after alighting had to come back n tell me to drop n join the other train.
Bros, as I enta the other train, na im RATP or what they call them, they are in charge of the rail services, came in checking Tickets.
Na im me bring out my ticket with total confidence say nothing mega, as one of them insert am for them machine, he come frown, na so them begin speak french. the next thing they said i no validate the ticket before entering the train, say my fine na 30Euro, i beg for English, little french wey i know, show them my return ticket wey show say my flight to Naija go leave in 2hrs, them no hear, they even threaten calling Cops for me, I paid the 30 Euro with my GTB ATM. Since them i no dey take eye see any foreigner wey offend for Naija n our law enforcement agent come laugh with am because say na Oyibo. I go dey there see say im pay for im offence

2 Likes

Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by Nobody: 3:10pm On Apr 08, 2015
Lol
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by doyinofficial(m): 3:12pm On Apr 08, 2015
Bootylicious:
Durin my vacatn to Russia, I wanted to buy body cream,I saw a FA product they wrote cream,i used it 4 3days, on d 4th day wen I was abt rubbing my body a Friend dats been in Ru 4 long saw d supposed cream and yelled it's soap not Cream,dat liquid body wash is called cream in Ru, I poured some on my hand and water it started forming cry cry cry few days later I went to d supermarket called magazine in russia,i wanted to boy yoghurt and ended up goin home wit mayonnaise ,i opened d little seal and poured some into th cup,took a spoon and lo and behold it was mayonnaise
y u dey lie like this, U wan boy yoghurt.
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by Nobody: 3:13pm On Apr 08, 2015
OOOh goodness, I remember another one!

France again... The car we hired was seriously running out of fuel because we couldnt leave the toll road earlier. Thank god we made it to the end the toll road. There I wanted to ask the guys where we could find the closest petrol station. But instead of asking for "station-service" or "station d'essence" I asked for "pompiers", which means the fire-brigade cheesy. They were pointing us directions...we followed it...to our relieve the petrol station was near the fire department cheesy!

3 Likes

Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by lepasharon(f): 3:15pm On Apr 08, 2015
WisePer:
Mine was in the Paris, I was on my way to CDG Airport enroute Naija, boarded a Train, when we got to Massy Palasieu, the train stopped and there was an announcement, Omo, I tanda for my seat, I no know say na for all man to disembark and join the other train.
The lady that shared the same coach with me after alighting had to come back n tell me to drop n join the other train.
Bros, as I enta the other train, na im RATP or what they call them, they are in charge of the rail services, came in checking Tickets.
Na im me bring out my ticket with total confidence say nothing mega, as one of them insert am for them machine, he come frown, na so them begin speak french. the next thing they said i no validate the ticket before entering the train, say my fine na 30Euro, i beg for English, little french wey i know, show them my return ticket wey show say my flight to Naija go leave in 2hrs, them no hear, they even threaten calling Cops for me, I paid the 30 Euro with my GTB ATM. Since them i no dey take eye see any foreigner wey offend for Naija n our law enforcement agent come laugh with am because say na Oyibo. I go dey there see say im pay for im offence

I thought french ppl speak english as a second language
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by tempem: 3:23pm On Apr 08, 2015
hezsquirt:

i was stopped by French police, they asked for my passport, it wasn't with me...i tried begging them,,i was saying 'merci' thinking i was begging not knowing 'merci' actually means "thank u"

Lol.. Tell me what style to laugh this time around?

I mean it oh..
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by networkgenuis: 3:28pm On Apr 08, 2015
emmabest2000:
my friend use washing plate liquid soap as shower liquid soap for two good months in china without knowing grin
Same thing happened to me. Bought what I thought to be body lotion, but didn't know it was hair conditioner.
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by soleexx(m): 3:42pm On Apr 08, 2015
Me and my naija friend was having a walk in Aberdeen scotland in a silent street when he start to dey feel like poooing...he quickly jump into the bush and drop the sheet...the cops later saw is poop and track it...they came knocing on our door and gave him a bill fine of 1,500 pound

2 Likes

Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by tefoko: 3:44pm On Apr 08, 2015
babeface3:
I remember using a liquid soap I bought in an Italian supermarket as a body cream for almost one year before my German roommate that could read Italian discovered my folly. Same thing with packaged dog food in an attempt to try new thing grin

Trust me op,i had the exact same experience just that i was quick to realize mine..i think mine lasted for just a couple of days.with their 'bagno' 'bagno' whatever grin grin grin grin
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by Temmie147(m): 3:45pm On Apr 08, 2015
I remembered when i travelled to one of the french speaking Africa country. On getting to the flat of my friend, i saw that there was electricity in the house. After settling down, i took out all my clothes and started pressing them incase of power failure. My friend came out and started laughing @ me. He said you are no more in Nigeria my friend.

1 Like

Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by tefoko: 3:47pm On Apr 08, 2015
Liar grin
asala1:
I remembered when I used Dove hair-conditioning cream as body cream for a week until my skin started peeling before I discovered it was actually a hair-conditioning cream. grin grin
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by oathman(m): 3:49pm On Apr 08, 2015
Chukwugekwu:
u need to see him life ..........na true talk ooooooh grin

grin grin ROTFL grin grin
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by igraman(m): 4:19pm On Apr 08, 2015
babeface3:

liquid saop ... body cream ...fr almost a year #mo fo
even if u can't read it. can't u feel it on ur skin ?
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by ghetto101(m): 4:33pm On Apr 08, 2015
i wanted to ask for a cup then i ask for a kiss and it was my teacher(male)
give me a cup is = dame un vaso
give me a kiss is = dame un beso
so i said dame un beso and the man was looking at me , began no wonder what have i said

babeface3:

Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by ghetto101(m): 4:37pm On Apr 08, 2015
vingt-deux

KingTom:

combien tu veux? grin
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by asala1: 4:40pm On Apr 08, 2015
tefoko:
Liar grin

Why? You don't know me.
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by Nobody: 4:51pm On Apr 08, 2015
I go buy liquid disinfectant thinking say Na Belgian Orijin
Mehn, na from six feet o dey type this thing now

2 Likes

Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by deadie(m): 4:53pm On Apr 08, 2015
Tufanja:
France
In a restaurant I ordered "steak tartare". Not knowing it contained minced raw beef with on top of it a raw egg (google it, you will see!). My face at the moment I discovered it must have been priceless....my friend still bringing up this story at any occasion.

Well, same thing happened to me. But now I love tartare so much that I have it every Saturday morning for breakfast. It goes really well with baguette. Sehr lecker!
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by KingTom(m): 5:01pm On Apr 08, 2015
ghetto101:
vingt-deux

grin grin
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by ijiini(m): 5:10pm On Apr 08, 2015
...travel awt??God will do.it.for us too...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Trailer Crushes Motorcyclist And Passenger To Death In Makurdi (Graphic Photos) / Man Treks From Ahoada To Port Harcourt For Governor Wike's Victory / Federal Bridge That Links Saki To Ilorin Collapses (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.