Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,916 members, 7,806,662 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:07 PM

Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries (21356 Views)

Any Better Africa English Speaking Country? / Mistakes Made By First Timers Travelling By Air / Chinese Man Speaking Pidgin On Plane To A Nigeria Woman During A Fight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by Nobody: 5:19pm On Apr 08, 2015
embarassed
We went to Aberdeen and while unpacking, I discovered my mum carried along her torchlight! Said 'in case they take light, make she use am see road!' angry grin grin
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by nellyelitz(m): 6:03pm On Apr 08, 2015
When I was coming back from Syria, I miskenly landed in Niger thinking am in Nigeria until my Malian friend help to interpret the French words on the signpostst angry angry
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by Nobody: 7:04pm On Apr 08, 2015
Lol i bought shampoo instead of body lotion.
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by hijodedios: 7:13pm On Apr 08, 2015
No be only you ooo,i remember using the liquid soap aswell as body cream but that of eating dog food? hahahahaha i couldnt stop loughing out loud when i read that. grin grin but they use to draw dog for the bag na.
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by pussypounder(m): 8:27pm On Apr 08, 2015
when i lived in Krasnodar, Russia, could not speak russian at all during the first few months, was boarding a bus one fateful day and one russian baga sitting beside me was just messing anyhow, silent killers but i know sey na him, i wan tell am make hin stop to dey mess but i no fit. in russian "pachimu" means why, and i knew that word, i was just saying to the guy "pachimu puuuu" angry angry

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by IamDejman(m): 8:55pm On Apr 08, 2015
Ah, I cannot forget Lotus Grand Hotel Apartment at Deira, Dubai. cool

one morning, at the lounge, na so i tell the cook i want fried egg. (the thing is most pple ask for the special kind of egg where the yoke wouldnt be fried). So i think at the mention of my fried, he just did the normal one the Cover-head-to-feet dey ask am. angry

The sight of the stuff was too irritating that i lost my appetite that morning cry sad. The next day and till i left, i never requested for fried egg. I'll rather eat fruits and snacks with bread-butter. grin grin grin
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by spiralwedge(m): 8:57pm On Apr 08, 2015
babeface3
I have many o
I remember buying large wheat bread thinking it was chocolate bread

I remember my Muslim friend buying pork and after making stew with it declared that it was the most delicious he ever cooked until we tasted it and he wanted to vomit it.

I remember buying a female winter leather jacket.

I remember we waving back at some people calling us monkeys and we thought they were friendly.

so many, I can write a book

1 Like

Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by spiralwedge(m): 9:12pm On Apr 08, 2015
nosike3:
Visited Montreal as a teen! Got a bus right right outside my aunts' house but while coming back they kept moving even when I said I was gonna get off!! shocked sharp sharp my mind enter gbomo gbomo things not knowing that they have designated stops!! grin

I had a similar experience on a London bus, an English speaking city for that matter. I didn't know I had to press a button or pull a string. And it didn't stop at my bus stop, cos there was no one at the bus stop neither did I press the button.
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by wildikeman(m): 9:12pm On Apr 08, 2015
doyinofficial:
y u dey lie like this, U wan boy yoghurt.
wonder wat a black person is even doing in Russia. anyway thank God you didn't see any no blacks allowed in Russian. Na ur funeral u 4 see.
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by Nobody: 9:18pm On Apr 08, 2015
No mistakes for me in france. Lol. Merci.
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by spiralwedge(m): 9:18pm On Apr 08, 2015
dublinkmy6:
If you never experience life for those kin countries eh, you no go know wetin deaf and dumb dey face.
Speaking from experience.

true
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by spiralwedge(m): 9:24pm On Apr 08, 2015
привет bootylicious and pussypounder

lol at ur experiences
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by Spaxon(f): 10:40pm On Apr 08, 2015
Remember a family holiday at Ukraine. .
we wanted to buy chicken but had difficulty describing it to the saleswoman.....
lol my mom was flapping her hands like a chickens feather but she couldn't still understand......

not until a lady came n helped us

1 Like

Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by ronald4lif(m): 2:33am On Apr 09, 2015
Spaxon:
Remember a family holiday at Ukraine. .
we wanted to buy chicken but had difficulty describing it to the saleswoman.....
lol my mom was flapping her hands like a chickens feather but she couldn't still understand......

not until a lady came n helped us

Lol! Perhaps you could have help demonstrate better by moaning like a chicken. wink

1 Like

Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by Spaxon(f): 2:43am On Apr 09, 2015
ronald4lif:

Lol! Perhaps you could have help demonstrate better by moaning like a chicken. wink
Lil
nobe small laff dat day
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by ronald4lif(m): 2:48am On Apr 09, 2015
Spaxon:
Lil
nobe small laff dat day

Hehe! I can imagine and relate to that somewhat.

Next time when holidaying in non-english speaking countries do try to use google translate. It helps.
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by redcurry(f): 3:21pm On Apr 09, 2015
pussypounder:
when i lived in Krasnodar, Russia, could not speak russian at all during the first few months, was boarding a bus one fateful day and one russian baga sitting beside me was just messing anyhow, silent killers but i know sey na him, i wan tell am make hin stop to dey mess but i no fit. in russian "pachimu" means why, and i knew that word, i was just saying to the guy "pachimu puuuu" angry angry
lolzzzz.
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by alex406(m): 10:12pm On Apr 09, 2015
TolaniLuv:
Lol, I bought after shave liquid cream I thought it was Nivea Body cream . Been using it for a while till my Japanese friend told mí it for after shaving cry
This was exactly what happened to me. Here is the picture of what the Nivea I have been using as body spray until a Nigerian friend called me to order. It wasn't funny at all.

1 Like

Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by TolaniLuv: 11:54am On Apr 10, 2015
alex406:

This was exactly what happened to me. Here is the picture of what the Nivea I have been using as body spray until a Nigerian friend called me to order. It wasn't funny at all.

lol, I know how that feels . It wasn't funny at all imagine using it everyday ;(
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by alex406(m): 1:38am On Apr 11, 2015
TolaniLuv:

lol, I know how that feels . It wasn't funny at all imagine using it everyday ;(
Language barrier is really a big issh
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by Spaxon(f): 8:43pm On Apr 11, 2015
ronald4lif:

Hehe! I can imagine and relate to that somewhat.

Next time when holidaying in non-english speaking countries do try to use google translate. It helps.
aitte thanks.... U had any of those experience?
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by Bootylicious(f): 10:03pm On Apr 12, 2015
why should i lie? Do i get paid to comment
doyinofficial:
y u dey lie like this, U wan boy yoghurt.
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by babeface3: 6:02pm On Apr 13, 2015
I ended up buying over-sized jean trouser in an open market in Germany, still due to language barrier. When I realised this, the next two days as I wanted to rock it to a friend's party. I rushed to the particular place I bought it and the chinko guy that sold it to me had completely forgotten. I spent 30 mins looking for who could translate English to him but could not find a single person. I went back to my hotel to use google translator (I did not have internet phone). Coming back I started reading the translated German like Jonathan addressing Nigerians. It was too funny grin grin

Immediately the Chinko guy realized what I was saying he lashed out in German, looking so angry. Omo I dropped my speech and entered real Warri pidgin. See haalaa; "your faaaada! abi u no know say I dey para for this kain tin ni?

The guy beckoned, " kein Problem, wahlen..." bringing out another roll of jean trousers.

2 Likes

Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by Bootylicious(f): 9:13pm On Apr 13, 2015
kak dela
spiralwedge:
привет bootylicious and pussypounder

lol at ur experiences
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by spiralwedge(m): 7:30pm On Apr 14, 2015
Bootylicious:
kak dela

хорошо, спасибо. как проживаешь там в Дубай?
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by EagleEyes001(m): 4:12am On May 26, 2016
Ekiseme:
I never travel outside b4

some people go come show off their lying skills for here angry
Right on point
Re: Mistakes Made In Non English Speaking Countries by kissoflife: 11:49am On May 26, 2016
pussypounder:

LMAOROFL

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Trailer Crushes Motorcyclist And Passenger To Death In Makurdi (Graphic Photos) / Man Treks From Ahoada To Port Harcourt For Governor Wike's Victory / Federal Bridge That Links Saki To Ilorin Collapses (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.