Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,549 members, 7,801,544 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:53 PM

She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. - Career (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. (74927 Views)

How Should I Respond To My Boss Who Fired Me Via Email? / My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. / Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 10:48pm On Apr 03, 2015
The average Nigerian needs to demean other people just to feel good about himself. That's what you get in a kiss-ass society where people aren't sure of their rights - head cases and frustrated people treating others like garbage whenever they can.

Just pass the abuse and frustration down the ladder to the poor guy below you. It's a shame.

3 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Filmdirect: 10:51pm On Apr 03, 2015
Viciyus:

Brother!!!

Go read the comment well.

He dey suffer from superior complex or weti them call am self.

I no dey in support of carrying the bag.

But he dey feel say he dey bigger than the girl

Wisdom!

Forget na she get the company.

Sometimes. You have to use wisdom. Carry the load make she carry her bag. Simple

Yes i have little to do today so i am writing lol. But you are right! It was his superiority complex on display. He did not
like that lady from day one, and felt he was better than her.

if they were friendly he could have diffused it by saying something like,"Ah stella (using whatever name) you want make i carry purse? (laughs) make i carry the other things help you now (laughs), then "You want do lunch tomorrow, na on me (laughs). All this said quickly with laughter in his voice as he "helps" her with other things and offers lunch in the process. she will laugh too and everyone is happy.

But he did not like her, felt slighted, wanted to make a point, forgot who he was in the company, and she played her hand. He could have made her an ally and gone far in the company.

3 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Solozzo(m): 10:51pm On Apr 03, 2015
Op did not tell us the official offence for which he was dismissed. Like I said good relationship at work is very essential. Op can enjoy a ride in a lady's car but cannot help her with her bag. grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by cybriz82(m): 10:54pm On Apr 03, 2015
No u nt wrong...na we d nairalander dey wrong olodo..even if na her papa company e concern u Thank God u av learn small lesson next time u go help ur boss wash her pikin yansh even wen dem no send u.God bless d person dat will replc u.

3 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Venom104: 10:56pm On Apr 03, 2015
klark3:

lol... U're quite funny.

Are u an architect?

you know .. help get me in so i can help you treat her Bleep up..
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 11:01pm On Apr 03, 2015
Filmdirect:

Yes i have little to do today so i am writing lol. But you are right! It was his superiority complex on display. He did not
like that lady from day one, and felt he was better than her.

if they were friendly he could have diffused it by saying something like,"Ah stella (using whatever name) you want make i carry purse? (laughs) make i carry the other things help you now (laughs), then "You want do lunch tomorrow, na on me (laughs). All this said quickly with laughter in his voice as he "helps" her with other things and offers lunch in the process. she will laugh too and everyone is happy.

But he did not like her, felt slighted, wanted to make a point, forgot who he was in the company, and she played her hand. He could have made her an ally and gone far in the company.
True shall.

Na weti some men no understand shall.

No mind me. I no be English guy like that.

So na pure pigeon English I dey use take reply ohh

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Venom104: 11:03pm On Apr 03, 2015
duni04:

We're never going to agree cos our perceptions of self worth and dignity are miles apart! I respect your position though.
Plus there are things a man should not do to keep his "manliness" intact. You do not, never ever, carry the handbag of a woman that's the same age with you for any reason! Except shes crippled.

sorry but will your so called 'manliness' put food on the table

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by cybriz82(m): 11:04pm On Apr 03, 2015
Every1 dat keep yellin dude u nt wrong hmmmm no follow der advise ooo.dem dn eat belleful..u dn Bleep up u dn Bleep up b dat..u dn throw away ur cntrct cus of ordinary handbag.dem say if u wan cash monkey u av to act like a monkey.am till crashin my head duh abeg which country u cme frm sef?

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by duni04(m): 11:07pm On Apr 03, 2015
Venom104:

sorry but will your so called 'manliness' put food on the table
Today you're carrying her hand bag to "put food on the table", tomorrow you're sleeping with her to "put food on the table".What is wrong is wrong! If you don't draw the line when it starts, you'll end up doing the most demeaning things to "Put food on the table"

3 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by dahmie2013: 11:20pm On Apr 03, 2015
klark3:
I was employed as an architect in a medium size architectural firm, my boss happens to be a lady.

I hitched a ride in her car after a meeting with a client on site, It's was even my first time of hitching a ride in her car, as I have always eschewed it, on getting to the office she asked me to carry her hand bag along, but I turned deaf ear to her request and swiftly went straight to the office, but she came to my office and gave me a sullen glare.

I thought the malice won't last long, but unfortunately for me, she fired me this morning for a no cogent reason.

I'm downcast and bewildered, she's just privilege to be the manager because it's her dad firm, she's my contemporary, and I was on the verge of supervising a gigantic project.

Was I wrong?
Bro, its ur life we're talking here. Pls 4 d sake of dat big project&ur CV, why don't u write a formal letter of apology 2 her. U can talk 2 ur colleagues 2 also help u beg her & if possible talk 2 her father 2 help talk 2 her. Once u've gotten her plea, u're even lucky sef, she's a woman she'll definitely accept after much shakara, cos if its her fellow woman, she might not agree&dat will be d end. Once dat is done&u've supervised d job, u can tender ur resignatn. Believe me, she'll be d one begging u dis time cos of d experience u've got on dat project. Pls don't allow ur ego ruin ur career, u're lucky 2 practice what u studied.

Note: d ppl telling u not 2 mind her won't give u a job. In life u're strictly on ur own.

3 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by diamondboa(m): 11:21pm On Apr 03, 2015
eyeview:
You weren't wrong. It was never stated in the offer letter that you job description included carrying her hand bag. She has inferiority complex and she could only overcome it by seeing you do attend to her domestic needs. She wanted to cross the line and you didn't let her. That's the same way some people get to start doing uncomplimentary things to keep their jobs. You were a man.
Don't feel bad,other jobs will turn up.
And if other jobs requires something related to this .You get fired again.We are in Nigeria use your brain man

3 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by zeezeegal(m): 11:21pm On Apr 03, 2015
Make woman na boss no b beta tin ooo. d lady too proud nd tinks she is all and all. dem enploy nt to dy carry her bag. If say u do am next time na to cum pull ha shoe she go tell u.... Men na men! Ar respect dem no matter hw dem small

2 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by PRISTINEMUSCLES: 11:41pm On Apr 03, 2015
Fabdedon:
you are too proud..
You can even get better payment if you just carry it and joke with her like..
Girls sha.. See big bag like say no be wrapper de inside.. Just simple..
Him no be soji guy. The guy they draw pass ogbono soup. I once was in this position but no be 2 carry bag. She say make we dey chop "sharwama". I no fail ooh.

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Empiree: 11:42pm On Apr 03, 2015
I understand her request to carry her bag for her might not be part of your job descrptions. I undertand standing up for your rights.

But hey, sometimes, we need to eschew our ego. You should carry it. It's no big deal. Carrying her bag does not decrease your salary. Carrying her bag does not make you less than a man. We need to be stupid sometimes to get what we want. It doesnt mean you stupid if you had carried it.

See "gigantic project" you messed up in the name of pride. If the project was to be offered by the same company, honestly, if she reconsiders you, I dont think she can trust you. Well, see if you can persuade her to reconsider you or simply move on. Lesson learned.

If this happened in developed world, she would be responsible for unemployment benefits (salary) for a period of time (usually 4 mmonths) with extension until you can find a job. But that doesnt mean she would be fined. Goodluck man.
klark3:
I was employed as an architect in a medium size architectural firm, my boss happens to be a lady.

I hitched a ride in her car after a meeting with a client on site, It's was even my first time of hitching a ride in her car, as I have always eschewed it, on getting to the office she asked me to carry her hand bag along, but I turned deaf ear to her request and swiftly went straight to the office, but she came to my office and gave me a sullen glare.

I thought the malice won't last long, but unfortunately for me, she fired me this morning for a no cogent reason.

I'm downcast and bewildered, she's just privilege to be the manager because it's her dad firm, she's my contemporary, and I was on the verge of supervising a gigantic project.

Was I wrong?

2 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by obomobo: 11:44pm On Apr 03, 2015
but e neva reach d level make hin boss sack him now

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by PRISTINEMUSCLES: 11:47pm On Apr 03, 2015
eyeview:
You weren't wrong. It was never stated in the offer letter that you job description included carrying her hand bag. She has inferiority complex and she could only overcome it by seeing you do attend to her domestic needs. She wanted to cross the line and you didn't let her. That's the same way some people get to start doing uncomplimentary things to keep their jobs. You were a man.
You are just saying proverbs. The ish on ground now is that he has got no job. And the possibility of him gettin another immediately is not certain.
He should have applied wisdom

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by temmym4(m): 11:59pm On Apr 03, 2015
it s Simple. if you dont wanna carry hand bags. then go build your own firm!

3 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by blakky97(m): 12:11am On Apr 04, 2015
klark3:

Was I wrong?
we always have situations in life where we are made to choose between ego and goal. some choose ego over targets but then they are always sure they have what it takes to weather whatver storm it is that their choice brings.
others; with diplomacy adapt policies to circumstances. especially where it is the case that a choice of ego may return them to a position where they become less entitled to the respect of a particular class of people whom they once looked upon as their inferiors. and because it is possible that your refusal would have earned you the respect of one boss in one company and at the same time; the wrath of another in some other company like your own. I say therefore that it is very difficult to declare that you were either right or wrong depending on how well you weighed between alternatives and what probable effect you expected of either options
but; another shrewed and cunning man may have carried the bag, seized that opportunity to become too informal with her in a way she would recognise that she earns better respect from you if she remains within the confines of what defines your relationship with her formally including refusing you a ride. anf in the case that iy doesnt work that way. then it is far better to be insulted by a boss who is actually superior to you by circumstance, than by idiots who will think they are superior in the event that you are jobless and poor. for in the first case, you still have an opportunity to go back home and laugh over it, or look for another job if you wish. in the second case, you will be forced to bear more trifling annoyances from people who are actually less in statue than you were while you were tolerating your boss who for no fault of yours, was unable to lay aside her haughtiness and become of a popular spirit with many other persons that you may not even be aware of.

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by NobleG1(m): 12:16am On Apr 04, 2015
klark3:

Was I wrong?

If your boss were a man, would you have brought him his briefcase if he had asked? I guess your answer would be "yes".

You looked down on her because she was a woman. And that's sexist. She didn't order you to sweep her home, she made a simple request and you blew it right in her face.

Most people would carry her and her bag in their arms from her car to her office, just to keep their lucrative job in an environment where such top jobs are terribly scarce.

She did the right thing in kicking your sorry a*ss out. Your empty ego got the better of you. Why would any sane boss keep such a rude and disrespectful employee? Now you're jobless, how does it feel like?

3 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by blakky97(m): 12:42am On Apr 04, 2015
eyeview:
while it holds that it is very bad to call a cow your father because you need a cup of milk from it. it also holds that it is far better to judge events by the way they are known and recognised in real life than by the way they are dreamed and hoped about.

2 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by okeyfx(m): 12:54am On Apr 04, 2015
I knw it myt seem wrong but she has a level of TRUST in You...That is even why she gave u the bag in the first place.
Abi do people give bag to a stranger?

U BREACHED THAT TRUST MAN...U F UP BIG TIME

3 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by okeyfx(m): 12:57am On Apr 04, 2015
You are seeing her like a Boss and she is probably seeing you like FRIEND

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by sukkot: 1:21am On Apr 04, 2015
klark3:

That's the point, it's her personal make up bag, my male sensibilities wouldn't permit me to do it. if it were to be another thing, like a model, design proposal, I would have graciously oblige her request.

I guess she was beginning to perceive me as a rival, and was scared of my chances of taking over, because I was highly commended by her dad for a project I executed recently. She was supposed to handle the architectural drawings and specifications, but the layout wasn't working and the project was transferred to my desk.

You know women, her dad compelled her to study architecture, so she could take over from him. she is the lazy type and wouldn't have willingly go for architecture.

Guess she did it deliberately to get me out of her way. But she didn't know I wouldn't have accepted to be the manager, because it's her dad firm.

Just wanted to build my clientele.

It's all good though, thanks man for your concern.
bros you have absolutely nothing to be worried about. you did exactly the right thing. that slowpoke couldnt keep her ego in check because she got a lil position. i hate people like that. this why i cant work under nigerians. they dont know how to keep their egos in check and they never know where to draw the line. no decorum, no tact. just boorish and bullish

4 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by BodePolScience: 1:29am On Apr 04, 2015
You were right by not obliging because you said she's your contemporary (age-group) You don't humble yourself for financial gratifications for promotions and blessings come only from God.

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by redsun(m): 1:56am On Apr 04, 2015
Does your contract terms including carrying handbags? With a good lawyer that is willing to go all the way,you could make a kill and set some kind of precedence- law that emulated in future events.

2 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 2:58am On Apr 04, 2015
joncom:
I hear people say its her father's company? And she fired him?

She is the boss.

From the op's statement, like... "I eschew entering her ride.." and "I acted like I didn't hear her..." shows that he has an ego problem. Why do you think he will survive any other job?

Agreed. Taking a ride with the boss is a good way to bond.
these things are necessary. It's called office politics, a game everyone who depends on a job to feed their family must play.
Shebi it is from that car ride you 2 can start talking and become friends.

These are the people who speak for you in those secret meetings where you cannot speak for yourself. i.e. budget cuts, etc.
Humility is hard, but easy when you mature enough to understand that accomodating your superiors doesn't make you less of a man.

Simple carry bag you no fit do, then what will you do if you join the army and your superior requests something harder from you?
OP go boarding school sef?

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 4:02am On Apr 04, 2015
klark3:

Was I wrong?

Ogidi Ode.

Now you're a real man abi?
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Thinkr(m): 4:03am On Apr 04, 2015
Temmylicious:
Dumbo!
What's your business with what is in the bag?
it makes a lot of difference. Btw, I wasn't even talking to you sef so keep shut b\tch undecided

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 4:12am On Apr 04, 2015
Empiree:
I understand her request to carry her bag for her might not be part of your job descrptions. I undertand standing up for your rights.

But hey, sometimes, we need to eschew our ego. You should carry it. It's no big deal. Carrying her bag does not decrease your salary. Carrying her bag does not make you less than a man. We need to be stupid sometimes to get what we want. It doesnt mean you stupid if you had carried it.

See "gigantic project" you messed up in the name of pride. If the project was to be offered by the same company, honestly, if she reconsiders you, I dont think she can trust you. Well, see if you can persuade her to reconsider you or simply move on. Lesson learned.

If this happened in developed world, she would be responsible for unemployment benefits (salary) for a period of time (usually 4 mmonths) with extension until you can find a job. But that doesnt mean she would be fined. Goodluck man.

Not in the U.S., not automatically.

He may get unemployment if he wins.

If I'm his employer I'll certainly make sure he doesn't win.

I mean he refused to carry a bag full of architectural drawings from the car to the office after a meeting with clients wink
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 4:15am On Apr 04, 2015
cybriz82:
No u nt wrong...na we d nairalander dey wrong olodo..even if na her papa company e concern u Thank God u av learn small lesson next time u go help ur boss wash her pikin yansh even wen dem no send u.God bless d person dat will replc u.

You're my official new best friend grin

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Empiree: 4:22am On Apr 04, 2015
CityNG:

Not in the U.S., not automatically.

He may get unemployment if he wins.

If I'm his employer I'll certainly make sure he doesn't win.

I mean he refused to carry a bag full of architectural drawings from the car to the office after a meeting with clients wink
I agree with you. Tell me more about this. I undertsand it's not automatic. Their gotta be application.

But I thought employers don't contest it?. I thought if employee quits is the only way they void the benefits...no?.

I hate living off benefits anyways
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 5:02am On Apr 04, 2015
Empiree:
I agree with you. Tell me more about this. I undertsand it's not automatic. Their gotta be application.

But I thought employers don't contest it?. I thought if employee quits is the only way they void the benefits...no?.

I hate living off benefits anyways

In California, if you are terminated for just cause then it's an automatic denial and the employee can appeal, without the benefit of a lawyer.

I was terminated once for not attending a mandatory staff meeting. I simply told the judge that I was delayed at a clients meeting and thought it was better for my employers business if I satisfied the client. I had proof and I won. Only collected for a week as I got an even better job inside of two weeks. The first week is automatically unpaid.

Your employer has an account where they pool money for each employee so you only get to draw from that account until your bucket runs dry.

It's not easy to collect unemployment though it's there else folks will just be getting themselves fired and sit at home.

The money is not as much as your regular salary also.

No one likes to claim UI but I'm glad it's there as a benefit and as s cushion for wrong termination.

OP here would never get to claim UI because he was insubordinate to his boss. It wasn't as if she asked him to go wash her car. It's not unreasonable to ask for him to carry a bag after a meeting.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

I Caught My Boss Pants Down With The Organization's Secretary / Best Banks To Work In Nigeria: List Of Highest Paying Banks - FinancialWatchNgr / A Month After I Was Sacked, I Was Mistakenly Credited With ₦40,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.