Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,131 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:37 AM

The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU (15344 Views)

Some Top 10 Hollywood Horror Movies Cliché© / Ladies Of TV Drama Slay On The Cover Of The Hollywood Reporter / The Producers Of Ojuju Announce Their Next Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by Nobody: 1:13pm On Apr 03, 2015
Okay, this is huge. We had to get out from the post production studio for my upcoming film to announce this awesome news!

OJUJU gets an awesome review by the Hollywood Reporter...yes, the Hollywood Reporter...

Once again we want to thank our glorious and steadfast cast and crew for this unending success story of perseverance....

www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/ojuju-film-review-786039?mobile_redirect=false

Here is the review:

C.J. "Fiery" Obasi's Nigerian zombie flick brings the familiar undead creatures to a new and exotic setting.

Considering the massive output of the Nollywood film industry, it was probably inevitable that it would eventually get around to appropriating that most familiar of Hollywood tropes, the zombie film. The result is this horror film directed and written by the marvelously named C.J. "Fiery" Obasi which brings the flesh-eating creatures to a Nigerian slum. Winner of the Best Nigerian Movie award at last year's African International Film Festival, Ojuju was recently showcased at the Brooklyn Academy of Music's New Voices in Black Cinema.

Obasi, whose IMDb bio states that he grew up watching Hammer horror films and reading Stephen King novels, clearly has an affinity for the subject matter. Although made on an obviously miniscule budget, this enterprising genre pic is very well crafted. Infused with both sly humor and genuine thrills, it puts many similarly themed American efforts to shame, with the exoticism of its setting only adding to the overall effect.

Set in a teeming Lagos slum, it provides an all-too-realistic explanation for the sudden transformation of its inhabitants into desiccated figures with an appetite for human flesh: It's the result of a contaminated water supply, which is certainly a problem endemic to the African nation.

Among those first affected is local drug dealer Fela (Chidozie Nzeribe), who gets bitten early on and suffers the predictable ill consequences as a result.

"If Fela won't smoke weed, then the situation is really serious," one of his friends worriedly comments.

The film's hero is Romero (a charismatic Gabriel Afolayan) — the name's inspiration is obvious — who, much to his horror, discovers that his pregnant girlfriend has become infected. Along with his friends Emmy (Kelechi Udegbe) and Peju (Omowunmi Dada), he desperately searches for a solution to the situation while trying to stay alive in the process.

"They've all turned ojuju," a character declares in the film in which the word "zombie" is never uttered.

Necessarily limited in terms of special effects and creature makeup — it's no surprise that the ojuju are initially mistaken for simply being drunk — Ojuju overcomes its technical limitations with well-drawn characters and pungently compelling situations. It certainly indicates that its talented filmmaker, whose sole previous effort was the voodoo-themed Jim & Joan, is eminently capable of moving on to bigger and better things.

Production company: Fiery Film Company
Cast: Gabriel Afolayan, Omowunmi Dada, Kelechi Udegbe, Chidozie Nazeribe, Brutus Rihard
Director-screenwriter-editor: C.J. "Fiery" Obasi
Producers: Oge Ugwu, C.J. "Fiery" Obasi
Director of photography: Tunji Akinsehinwa
Production designer: Victor Akpan
Composers: Beatoven, Wache Pollen

Ojuju Trailer:
https://www.nairaland.com/1851753/ojuju-movie-trailer-c.j-obasi

21 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by magabounce(m): 1:53pm On Apr 03, 2015
Lyk d real Ojuju Calabar??

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by prof800(m): 2:08pm On Apr 03, 2015
I saw it earlier.
The guy who edited "Phone Swap" also shared the link on his facebook page. Mista Aywhy.

This is a huge one for you guys.
Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by Briareos(m): 11:57am On Apr 04, 2015
Wow!

So, Romero is named after George Romero; The Father of Zombie genre? No? And Fela? Well, that goes without saying.

1 Like

Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by ifuennada(f): 9:15am On Apr 06, 2015
CJ is a one of a kind director! His passion for the job motivates you as much as his skills and knowledge! His producer, Oge Ugwu (who's also his wife) is also an amazing woman. These guys care for everyone on their team...! I'm really anticipating their next feature film O-town, but let's not take the attention away from Ojuju! Ojuju is the best Nigerian film I've seen so far!...and I'm not exaggerating...

Ifu Ennada

2 Likes

Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by naijawarrior(m): 9:20am On Apr 06, 2015
Before nko. When I tell people that Naija films will soon be felt in Hollywood people laugh. Me wey be prophet! Make una wait na small small. Soon enough they can't ignore Naija. Naija warrior don talk e own! Carry go jare!

6 Likes

Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by Nobody: 5:37am On Apr 09, 2015
naijawarrior:
Before nko. When I tell people that Naija films will soon be felt in Hollywood people laugh. Me wey be prophet! Make una wait na small small. Soon enough they can't ignore Naija. Naija warrior don talk e own! Carry go jare!
lol thanks for the vote of confidence
Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by politricks: 7:49am On Apr 16, 2015
Gradually we will get there. It is just a matter of time.

5 Likes

Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by Sunymoore(m): 7:49am On Apr 16, 2015
Good
Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by Beehshorp(m): 7:49am On Apr 16, 2015
Op shey ojuju go sweet pass nkoli nwa nsukka
Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by bright007(f): 7:49am On Apr 16, 2015
ko kanye
Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by sukkot: 7:50am On Apr 16, 2015
ok we done hear mr hollywood reporter
Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by Edwardhead(m): 7:50am On Apr 16, 2015
God bless d hustle

1 Like

Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by mstik(f): 7:50am On Apr 16, 2015
ojuju kwa?
Hian!
Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by ignis: 7:51am On Apr 16, 2015
Nice
Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by folabayo1(f): 7:51am On Apr 16, 2015
Awwwwww lovely
See talent
Wish u all the best

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by killjoy(m): 7:52am On Apr 16, 2015
vyy
Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by slap1(m): 7:52am On Apr 16, 2015
The poster looks mature. You'll go far, I believe. Amen!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by Nobody: 7:52am On Apr 16, 2015
Any link to download?
Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by Nobody: 7:53am On Apr 16, 2015
slap1:
The poster looks mature. You'll go far, I believe. Amen!
looks or types?
Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by ahaasaj: 7:53am On Apr 16, 2015
this is cool
Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by pweetyp: 7:54am On Apr 16, 2015
odikwa egwu #exhales
Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by adeapor: 7:54am On Apr 16, 2015
the graphics is nice

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by yurme(m): 7:56am On Apr 16, 2015
Wow

1 Like

Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by yomalex(m): 7:59am On Apr 16, 2015
Good

1 Like

Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by boolet: 7:59am On Apr 16, 2015
grin which of the Ojujus, Calabar? grin
Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by Nobody: 8:00am On Apr 16, 2015
Hmm interesting

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

BbTitans: Miracle OP Kissing Khosi Last Night (Video) / Godfather Of Harlem TV Series Download Season-01 / Does DSTV Has Better Picture Quality Than GOTV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.