Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,293 members, 7,807,995 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:51 AM

9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. (34797 Views)

How To Act During Job Interview / Top 4 Tips To Keep You Motivated During Job Search / Smart Ways To Conduct Yourself During Job Interviews (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. by CrazyMan(m): 2:04pm On Apr 14, 2015
favoured234:

Op thanks for the article but some things just confused me the more

1. I will not go late for an interview but what will I be doing there 30 minutes to the time? Even if I arrive early I will hang around and be seated 10 minutes to the time... That's to make sure I don't give a desperate impression..... Moreover I have other things to do with my time wink

No 3 and 6 will conflict in my head... If I must say the truth then in most cases I give contradictory goals of interest.....
If the truth supersedes then expect things like this:
Q: Why do you want us to employ you..
A1: I am afraid of hunger
A2: I want to get a job and get married
A3: I am tired of taking bullshit from my parents... I need a job to move out
A4: I don't want my husband to be the sole bread winner (most ladies)
A5: I heard that this company pays 150K for fresh graduates...
The list goes on and on...
Only 2% will tell you what you want to hear
And your point is...?
Re: 9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. by OkikiOluwa1(m): 2:06pm On Apr 14, 2015
lalasticlala:

No direct link source
Do these kinda thread need link or source before you bring them to the front page?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. by EdDave(m): 2:07pm On Apr 14, 2015
If u attend an oral interview in a bank and that question was asked, how would YOU answer?
Re: 9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. by CrazyMan(m): 2:10pm On Apr 14, 2015
EdDave:
If u attend an oral interview in a bank and that question was asked, how would YOU answer?
Which of the questions...please be specific?
Re: 9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. by EdDave(m): 2:11pm On Apr 14, 2015
^^^
Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Re: 9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. by imitor4us(m): 2:14pm On Apr 14, 2015
nice one!
Re: 9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. by CrazyMan(m): 2:17pm On Apr 14, 2015
EdDave:
^^^
Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
You should have the bank in focus when responding to such question. Whatever answer you choose to give to them should be in line with the bank's goals.
Re: 9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. by Nobody: 2:48pm On Apr 14, 2015
lalasticlala:

No direct link source
Must there be a source? Dude...u gota be careful
The stud dropped important notice for job hunters and u seeked for direct link... So people can't open a threat with their experience no more?
More so.... People like me...I rely on the front page news only... So please... Always endeavour to update us with infos like dis... I don't need the link... I need the information!
Capiche?

2 Likes

Re: 9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. by Nobody: 2:53pm On Apr 14, 2015
CrazyMan:

And your point is...?
Your 3 and 6 will most times contradict itself... Makes sense to you now?
Getting to an interview long before the scheduled time is a sign of desperation.,.,. what will you be doing waiting and looking for that period?
Re: 9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. by COCakanni(m): 2:59pm On Apr 14, 2015
........ Indeed this is great.....
tanx
bt na wa for dis companies na God dem bi ne...
@crazyman..... pls I tak God beg u no dey carry ABU make negative example.... because we are naturally ahead in everytin....

Re: 9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. by Nobody: 3:00pm On Apr 14, 2015
foxxynik:

Must there be a source? Dude...u gota be careful
The stud dropped important notice for job hunters and u seeked for direct link... So people can't open a threat with their experience no more?
More so.... People like me...I rely on the front page news only... So please... Always endeavour to update us with infos like dis... I don't need the link... I need the information!
Capiche?
Yes its strongly recommended so as to avoid plagiarism.. It is not an issue in Nigeria but can be a serious issue in the wider world.. We can learn now pending when we get there BTW the OP didn't claim ownership of the article
Re: 9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. by olaniyanibukun(m): 3:07pm On Apr 14, 2015
deniyor:
Those are great points. I have had over 20 professional interviews and I agree with most of your points here.

Bros... Abeg link me up.... I've finished service since February and I never attend any interview.
Re: 9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. by Aplaudez(m): 3:13pm On Apr 14, 2015
nice writeup! after my GP comes this!nice writeup! after my GP comes this!nice writeup! after my GP comes this!
Re: 9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. by Revolva(m): 3:29pm On Apr 14, 2015
Story wetin go be go be
Re: 9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. by CrazyMan(m): 3:40pm On Apr 14, 2015
favoured234:

Your 3 and 6 will most times contradict itself... Makes sense to you now?
I disagree.

Number 3 is don't give false information. Example...lying about working in various places just to boost your chances, or lying about your age, your grade...etc. Some people do this. Unfortunately your prospective employer might do a background check and if its confirmed that the information you gave them contradicts what they discovered, you'll be tagged as a liar and an untrustworthy person.

Number 6. Don't give contradictory goals of interests. The example about the 3 candidates should be clear enough. In-as-much-as giving false information is dangerous as stated in number 3 above, your goals should be in line with that of the company.

Number 3 and 6 don't contradict each other cos while number 3 clearly advises you to refrain from lying, number 6 advises you to reshape your goals so it would be in line with that of the company.

Hope I made sense.

favoured234:

Getting to an interview long before the scheduled time is a sign of desperation.,.,. what will you be doing waiting and looking for that period?
Lol this shows clearly that you have very little experience about job interviews.

Suppose you're living in Enugu state and you applied for a job in Abuja. Your CV was submitted online and you were contacted through an e-mail from the company informing you about the aptitude test which you wrote probably in a secondary school and passed.

You were notified about your interview. You arrive in Abuja a day to the interview and hook up with a friend. Don't you think it would be wise to arrive at the company's building 30 minutes before time considering the fact that.

1. You have to calm down your nerves and also observe how things are in the company?

2. Your friends place might be quite a distance from the company which you're having your interview with, so leaving home early would be your best option since you're not very familiar with the terrain in Abuja

Now kindly explain to me how the reasons I gave is that an act or sign of desperation?
Re: 9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. by CrazyMan(m): 3:46pm On Apr 14, 2015
COCakanni:
tanx
@crazyman..... pls I tak God beg u no dey carry ABU make negative example.... because we are naturally ahead in everytin....
Lol
Re: 9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. by An2elect2(f): 4:12pm On Apr 14, 2015
COCakanni:
tanx

hehehe mushroom school. tongue

Wetin be ABU sefل na person nameل
Re: 9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. by Nobody: 4:14pm On Apr 14, 2015
[quote author=CrazyMan post=32715270]
I can be at the environment before the interview... didn't tell you I will take the risk of getting there late but I cant be caught waiting at the reception more than 30 minutes before my scheduled interview time... No way..
If I am not lying and I am reshaping my goals to suit prospective employer what is that called? Not saying the truth...

1 Like

Re: 9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. by CrazyMan(m): 4:27pm On Apr 14, 2015
favoured234:
I can be at the environment before the interview... didn't tell you I will take the risk of getting there late but I cant be caught waiting at the reception more than 30 minutes before my scheduled interview time... No way..
Everyone is entitled to their opinions. So I won't say more on this issue.

favoured234:
If I am not lying and I am reshaping my goals to suit prospective employer what is that called? Not saying the truth...
Let me ask you a question, and I want you to be honest with your answer.

You're a lady, and your goal is to study up to Phd level. In your final year in the university, you meet your knight in shining amour who proposes marriage, would you turn him down because his goals for you isn't what you want for yourself, or would reshape your goals in order to be in line with his, (put your Msc and Phd on pending upon graduation, get married, get a good job and probably live happily ever) if the latter is the case, would you see yourself as a liar?

I'm awaiting your reply.

1 Like

Re: 9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. by suptol(m): 4:30pm On Apr 14, 2015
This is a great insight. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: 9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. by Strongfaze(m): 4:44pm On Apr 14, 2015
Also, don't over nake make and don't over spray perfume, you are going for an interview and not for a DATE!
Re: 9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. by Nobody: 4:45pm On Apr 14, 2015
CrazyMan:

You lecturer is right...the its always advisable to mention something positive.

However you can also mention weakness that aren't critical for the job, weakness you have improved on. Even though the question is about weaknesses, your answer should always be framed around positive aspects of your skills and abilities as an employee.

Good luck.
Ok tqs 4 d info

1 Like

Re: 9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. by quinty(f): 4:57pm On Apr 14, 2015
Tnx for the information... kiss

1 Like

Re: 9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. by Gasout(m): 5:20pm On Apr 14, 2015
I'm guilty of no. 6 some couple of years ago during my interview with first Bank in which I told them i'll like to be an enterprenuer but would like to work in order to save some money for business

1 Like

Re: 9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. by CrazyMan(m): 6:02pm On Apr 14, 2015
Gasout:
I'm guilty of no. 6 some couple of years ago during my interview with first Bank in which I told them i'll like to be an enterprenuer but would like to work in order to save some money for business
Let me guess...you didn't get the job right?

2 Likes

Re: 9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. by kaybams1(m): 7:59pm On Apr 14, 2015
The UBA interview I partook in late January this year made me understand that I screwed up in three basic stuffs:

1). I sat down without being asked to. Its not as if I didn't know this was like an abomination in the corporate interview world, somehow I just forgot that basics as I stepped in the door. I was nervous.

2). Immediately I sat down, they said 'Who is XYZ (my surname), I just replied 'XYZ is my surname'. I answered like this because I initially thought they were making an inquiry about my father which I felt was not meant to be pertinent to the interview, so I replied that way to understand who the question is really been directed to. They said don't they know that its my surname? That was when I realised its an indirect way of saying 'tell us about yourself'. Then I started wondering in my mind how dumb I was not to know this basics. Even when I answered the question correctly, their countenance has fallen because I failed the first impression test.

3). When they asked me what am doing currently I told them have not being doing anything since I finished NYSC (last year oct) even though that wasn't totally true. I just wasn't sure what I tell them have been doing will meet their expectations of a worthy employee. The other reason I said nothing was that I didn't want them to think am engaged with something which will jeopardize my chances of being recruited. Either ways, I guess I was wrong.

These are the fundamental mistakes I think I made that denied me the chance of recruitment. You know this when they give you their typical subtle rejection statement of 'we will get back to you' while others are going through the next stage.

Though have since moved on, I have realised that its good not to take any job interview or test as a 'do or die' thing. It only makes you hyper nervous and as a result deny you of your normal composure.

Do your best to prepare, but don't put excessive expectation on it. The truth is what screws us most in life is the picture we have in our head of how things are meant to turn out. If it all turns out well, Give God the glory, if it doesn't, don't let it make you despair. That Job might just not be yours.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. by zinnyprecy(f): 11:11pm On Apr 14, 2015
tnx really learnt from it.
Re: 9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. by Nobody: 11:38pm On Apr 14, 2015
favoured234:

Yes its strongly recommended so as to avoid plagiarism.. It is not an issue in Nigeria but can be a serious issue in the wider world.. We can learn now pending when we get there BTW the OP didn't claim ownership of the article
I understand directly.....but this is a forum! Where knowledge is shared!...even in western countries....most social forums permits literary theft....!
You can say it's a crime!.... But understand that.... Even people who compose articles... Borrow words and phrases from other articles or journals yet will refused to make references and claim to be the prime mover! E.g bloggers!
But I getchu point!.... I like the front page news and that's just how I get the most acceptable infos that I want to read!...
Re: 9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. by sam121(m): 1:11am On Apr 15, 2015
Very good...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

She Sent This Message To Her Recruiter Barely A Week After Interview / Nigerian Navy Recruitment Of HND, Bsc Holders For 2019, 2020 / Cardinal Stone Graduate Trainee Assessment 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.