Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,538 members, 7,808,980 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:23 PM

Mentorship For Young Programmers - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Mentorship For Young Programmers (1179 Views)

Program Mentorship For Those Programmers Who Are Motivated And Want To Improve / Young Programmers in Abuja / Warri Young Programmers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mentorship For Young Programmers by okikesam: 2:13pm On Apr 04, 2015
Hi, so i've been into programming since August last year and it has been quite interesting, but recently it has become very difficult and confusing.
I'm actually studying Microbiology but I have great interest in CS and I intend crossing to CS dept. in my 200level.

I came across an article(http://www.vikingcodeschool.com/posts/why-learning-to-code-is-so-damn-hard) that explained the different levels of difficulty in learning programming before becoming a 'proffesional programmer', and i can really relate to it because the stage i currently find myself in is like a 'cliff of confusion'. I have successfully learned basic syntax but now that I want to begin working on my own ideas(and i have a lot of them) from start to finish, it becomes quite difficult and lonely cause there seems to be no one around to help.

But I feel with the help of a more experienced programmer by my side things could be much easier. Now that's the problem. It seems almost impossible to find a proffessional programmer who is willing to help. Even when I meet CS students I find that the majority of them don't even know what they are doing, they are just interested in getting their certificate. I dunno if this is the fault of the students or the educational system, but it's really saddening.

It will be so nice if there was like a Hub where 'serious and enthusiastic' programmers can meet and collaborate. It will help boost the confidence of young programmers like myself because there are reliable people we can meet to assist us when we have problems.
Re: Mentorship For Young Programmers by losprince(m): 4:47pm On Apr 04, 2015
Dude look for other projects in ur choosen language and recreate them, join open source projects and participate actively in them.

1 Like

Re: Mentorship For Young Programmers by kulgeek: 5:14pm On Apr 04, 2015
Hey okikesam, i understand how you feel and i totally agree with you there should be a hub where programmers should meet and learn from one another.

I just started this topic 'what kind of algorithm are you writing' here in the programming section nairaland so that we can share and learn from each other.

Away from that tho, this is my number 07034322565. I have only been barely a year into programming, i am good in html, css, php, mysql and ruby to a certain level. I don't mind helping you out where i can, you can add me on whatsapp and we could start brainstorming smiley

1 Like

Re: Mentorship For Young Programmers by thewebcraft(m): 9:38pm On Apr 05, 2015
Programming is never easy.. My number is 08102064720

1 Like

Re: Mentorship For Young Programmers by hawlahethan(m): 1:49am On Apr 07, 2015
op,wot language do u code
Re: Mentorship For Young Programmers by hawlahethan(m): 1:50am On Apr 07, 2015
op,wot language do u code?
Re: Mentorship For Young Programmers by DangotePikin: 8:53am On Apr 07, 2015
What languages are you familiar with? There is a branch of microbiology known as bioformatics, you should consider majoring in them. You can also find computational biology very useful. There are a lot of relationships between computer science and the biotechnological feild.
Re: Mentorship For Young Programmers by kudaisi(m): 10:07am On Apr 09, 2015
DangotePikin:
What languages are you familiar with? There is a branch of microbiology known as bioformatics, you should consider majoring in them. You can also find computational biology very useful. There are a lot of relationships between computer science and the biotechnological feild.

You seem like a good mentor.
Re: Mentorship For Young Programmers by DangotePikin: 8:51pm On Apr 09, 2015
kudaisi:

You seem like a good mentor.
lol Thanks. I am still learning!
Re: Mentorship For Young Programmers by okikesam: 4:01pm On Apr 15, 2015
JS, PHP, Java, a littile bit of Python and Ruby
DangotePikin:

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Startup 'Andela' Featured On CNN / Suggested Upgrade For Nairaland / INSPAYA.COM Codeworkout - Maiden Edition (abuja Only)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.