Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,495 members, 7,770,229 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 07:50 AM

The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult (71249 Views)

Kairo’s Embassy Church, Uyo Pastor's Wife Lied To Him (Photos) / 2-Year-Old Girl 'Ministers' At Christ Embassy Church (video) / Fire Guts Christ Embassy Church In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult by WinsomeX: 7:37pm On Apr 04, 2015
THE CHRIST EMBASSY CHURCH IS A CULT

SUMMARY OF THREAD UP TILL PAGE 9

1. INTRODUCTION BY WX: www.nairaland.com/2237377/christ-embassy-church-cult#32353049

2. CHRISTIAN SCIENCE, MORMONS, JEHOVAH WITNESSES AND WOF BY WALTER MARTIN: www.nairaland.com/2237377/christ-embassy-church-cult#32365032

3. THE FALSE GOSPEL OF CHRIST EMBASSY BY WX: www.nairaland.com/2237377/christ-embassy-church-cult/1#32381792

4. INTRODUCTION TO KINGDOM OF THE CULTS BY WALTER MARTIN: www.nairaland.com/2237377/christ-embassy-church-cult/1#32393735

5. CULT SEMANTICS BY WALTER MARTIN: www.nairaland.com/2237377/christ-embassy-church-cult/2#32417698

6. DISSECTING A CHRIS OYAKHILOME TEACHING BY WX: www.nairaland.com/2237377/christ-embassy-church-cult/3#32488776

7. THE PSYCHOLOGICAL STRUCTURE OF CULTISM BY WALTER MARTIN: www.nairaland.com/2237377/christ-embassy-church-cult/3#32514481

8. AN ANALYSIS INTO OYAKHILOME DOCTRINE OF "A MAN OF GOD CANNOT SIN" BY WX: www.nairaland.com/2237377/christ-embassy-church-cult/4#32592680

9. A DEFENCE AGAINST @GOMBS ACCUSATION by WX: www.nairaland.com/2237377/christ-embassy-church-cult/5#32642466

10. A DEFENCE OF @SAMMIED ACCUSATION by WX: www.nairaland.com/2237377/christ-embassy-church-cult/6#32710292

11. EXAMINING OYAKHILOME by WX: www.nairaland.com/2237377/christ-embassy-church-cult/6#32719213

12. A CLOSER LOOK AT PAUL'S "PROSPERITY" by WX: www.nairaland.com/2237377/christ-embassy-church-cult/7#32726977

13. FALSE PROPHETS, FOREIGN CHARLATANS AND GLOBAL DECEPTION by J Lee Grady: www.nairaland.com/2237377/christ-embassy-church-cult/7#32738274

14. WHY CHRIST EMBASSY DIFFER FROM THE CORINTHIAN CHURCH by WX: www.nairaland.com/2237377/christ-embassy-church-cult/9#32783789

15. LAYING TO REST @SAMMIED TEARING DOWN ACCISATION by WX: www.nairaland.com/2237377/christ-embassy-church-cult/9#32792241

Introduction

I approach this subject of discussion with great trepidation but with genuine concern for the thousands of people, especially young minds, in the Christ Embassy Church. My genuine concern for these people has overcome my fears and has finally led me to open this thread, which I promised to open but had changed my mind on it so often afterwards, until now.

I was hoping I could do a thorough study on the subject, approaching it from the definition of a cult, supplying information on what cult organizations believe and do, etc. Unfortunately, I cannot do that due to some constraints and the fact that most people who read these threads do not have the patience to read long discussions.

So, I will simply state my reasons for concluding that the CEC is a cult organization and I would be looking forward to responding to those who may want to query this position. The young man, Gombs, an ardent CEC member, has promised to grace the thread and I hope that our back and forth discussion on the subject will help shed light on my position.

I again want to emphasize that I do not get any pleasure from criticizing fellow men in whatever stance they have chosen in life. I am convinced they have perfect liberty to do whatever they want under the law of our country. When however what they do in Christ's name contravene the express commands of the God who authored the bible, it is our duty to point these things out. In doing so, we may be able to dissuade those who might find themselves walking into the cult organization or help those seeking a path out of it, escape.

These discussions are not meant to be an attack on Chris Oyakhilome or members of his church. I truly desire they will see it that way. If however they do not, their perception will not stop the project from continuing.

I will be writing on two themes next:

1. The Cultic Connection in the Word of Faith Movement.

2. Why Christ Embassy is a cult.

Cc: trustman, BabaGnoni, DrummaBoy, SirJohn, vooks, Joagbaje, Petres007, Tgirl4real, Candour.

2 Likes

Re: The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult by WinsomeX: 7:38pm On Apr 04, 2015
www.servantofmessiah.org/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2011/08/Kingdom-of-the-Cults-by-Walter-Martin.pdf

www.nairaland.com/1790500/word-faith-movements-doctrine-proponents

THE CULTIC CONNECTION IN THE WORD OF FAITH MOVEMENT

The first of the two links provided above is a PDF download link to a book written by Dr Walter Martins on cult organizations in Christendom. Dr Martin, died 1989, was considered an authority in cult organizations. Thanks to his research and work, organizations like the Jehovah Witnesses, Christian Science and Mormons, are now known as cults among church people. The book also discusses other cult organizations. This edition however composed of some addition to what Dr Martins had written. It has a section in the Appendix that discusses the Word of Faith movement, page 479. Everything that was written in that appendix was simply a confirmation of what trustman, DrummaBoy and BabaGnoni had discussed in a thread on Word of Faith. Find the thread above. The conclusion was that the Word of Faith had cultic influences, even if it cannot be called a strict cult. In my submission next, I wish to argue that the Christ Embassy Church, while teaching WoF, has finally crossed over to being a cult organization and that people need to beware of this.

I refer my readers to the two documents above for a thorough study into Word of Faith and other cults. But I will simply just do a summary on the cultic connection in Word of Faith.

The teachings of Word of Faith can be summarised in the followings, as gleaned from the Kingdom of Cults, page 479:

1. Faith in faith.

2. Confessing to Possessing.

3. The Sin of Suffering

4. Wealth (The Wheel of Fortune).

5. Health and Healing.

You may refer to the above links for a thorough understanding into these five essential false doctrines of the WoF. But here I shall conclude on what exactly is the gospel of Jesus Christ and why the WOF is not Christ gospel.

THE GOSPEL

The gospel of Jesus Christ is not health and wealth. Regardless of how the Word Faith enthusiasts spin scriptures, Jesus did not die so that we all could be healthy and wealthy.

This is why Jesus came to the world and why he died:

Matthew 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Jesus came to die to save men from sin. The message of this season, Easter. Nothing more.

The bad news of humanity is that all men are born sinners. God then set in an initiative to save men. He came to the world as Christ and died for men's sins. The reason was because God is a righteous judge and will judge sin. When Christ died, God judged the sin of the world on him. So that whoever believes in Christ can have his sins judged and taken and away on the cross.

The consequence is two folds: Christians will not suffer God's judgement and Christian possess power over sin to live holy. Thus, we may not be able to say you are going to heaven but we sure can see the fruit of your life, holiness, without which no man shall see God.

WoF miss the point of the gospel when they say that in addition to redemption from sin, the cross has secured health and wealth for Christians. The easiest answer to this position is that in Christ we see holiness and heavenliness; however Jesus suffered poverty and identified with the sick in Matthew 25, saying "when I was sick..."; shall we say Jesus was not of God for being poor and sick? In the long run, WoF ceases to teach holiness and heavenliness. Rather their emphasis are health, wealth, success, promotion, motivation, etc.

These discussions have become important because a large section of prophesing Christians are now WoF enthusiasts.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult by WinsomeX: 7:39pm On Apr 04, 2015
WHY CHRIST EMBASSY IS A CULT

From my perspective, an organization can be said to be a cult from what it teaches and it's lifestyle. We have seen that the essential teaching of CEC is WoF. While WoF is clearly false doctrine, I hesitate to describe all churches teaching Word Faith as cults because they emphasize certain truths that still keeps them "safe". Example, many of these churches believe in Christ's deity. They encourage a heart submission to Christ's Lordship and encourage holy living. These minimums still keeps them from going overboard. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of Christ Embassy.

The following are a quick shot at why CEC is today a cult.

1. Chris Oyakhilome is their god.

While discussing cult organizations, Walter Martins made it clear that cult organization usually refer to a man or woman as their sole authority, not the bible. For Jehovah Witnesses it was Charles Taze Russell . For Christian Science it is Mary Eddy Baker. For Mormons it is Joseph Smith . And for Christ Embassy, it is Chris Oyakhilome. We only need to see how these other cult organization equate the literatures of their founders to the bible, and in many cases, subordinating scriptures to the words of their founders, to agree with me. That's the tragedy of literatures like Rhapsody of Realities, etc, in the CEC.

Chris Oyakhilome is effectively the prophet and god of the Christ Embassy cult. His members consider him infallible and the anointed one, their Christ. I am told by an old member of nl that Joagbaje, a leading CE member on nl, used to refer to Chris Oyakhilome as "Pastor Christ", instead of Pastor Chris, as he fondly called by his followers. This example, and many others like it, point to the cultism that CEC church has become.

2. Sin in the Congregation.

A leading Christ Embassy follower on this forum, mbaemeka, once commented that a brother once left CEC bc he was tired of the immorality going on in their midst. He says that the brother eventually "fell" into a worse sin where he went to. The point he was trying to make was that sin is of men's heart and not environment. The point he passed across unknowingly was that sexual immorality was the order of the day in the cult of Chris Oyakhilome.

There is no greater proof of this than the widely reported divorce case BTW Chris and his wife, Anita. Anita had stated in her appeal for divorce in a British court that her husband was known to have "inappropriate relations" with ladies in church. Those in the know refer this to the endless line of lady pastor that live in the "White House", Oyakhilome residence, in Lagos. Chris has live apart from his wife since 1999 when she left to start the UK Branch of their church. Pastor Chris might require us to believe he has been celibate since then.

A study of Walter Martins work on cults reveals that the leader is usually a sex maniac. Who has unreserved access to ladies in church. They normally have failed marriages.

Sexual immorality is the order of the day among CEC members. They revel in it. My investigations reveal that married people are even known to date other people's wives and husbands in church.

3. Fake Miracles:

Like the Christian Science cult, the CEC is also known for its fake miracles. Thanks to the painstaking work of our own SirJohn here on nairaland, Chris Oyakhilome is now known as a fake miracle worker, with his healing school, a place where the sick and the gullible are reaped off of their resources without getting healed. The story of Kenya28 help seal the fake miracles story of CEC and the more recently discovered case of a man whom Joagbaje claimed to heal of HIV but who was never healed.

4 Likes

Re: The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult by WinsomeX: 7:42pm On Apr 04, 2015
OTHERS

Other proof of the cultic nature of CEC is their violence and hate. There have been numerous occasions in which people have tried to investigate the church and have ended being beaten black and blue. A lady who supplied screen to their recently concluded ministers conference was beaten because she demanded to be paid for her services.

As for hate, readers can just sit back and see the response of Christ Embassy members to this thread. How they very easily dodge issues and aim diatribes at the critic's personality or personal lives. When this is not sufficient, they then begin to rain down curses or resort to cheap spiritual blackmail.

CEC members all talk like Pastor Chris; they dress like him; they copy his gesticulations and style. They seek to be like Chris Oyakhilome and not Christ.

I understand that CEC members read mostly Oyakhilome publications. If they would read anything else, it must be from the error of other Word of Faith preachers.

Members marry only members. There is a perversive demand for money in the church, to the extent that member "sow" all their possessions and money to church. It is not uncommon to find members begging people for money to give for offering. Recently, the church began demanding money for New Year morning services. Stories of people defrauding their companies to give to church abound in the dailies. The atrocities are endless.

The biggest proof of the cult of CEC is the freedom they deny their members. Members cannot critique Oyakhilome. If you do, the threat of a curse is issued. There is a bondage to fit the "successful mold" - the impression that you have made it, so members have no qualms selling all they have so as to give to the endless demand for "pledges".

Conclusion.

It was difficult for me to conclude that CEC is a cult but having read Walter Martins, I couldn't help but do so. Christ Embassy members claim to win souls for Christ but the truth is that they are making these people twice the son of hell that they really are. This is a desperate call to our youths in this church to leave it and find some other bible church to go to.

I will stop here for now.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult by Nobody: 7:50pm On Apr 04, 2015
Whats a definition of a cult and how are Christ Embassy, Jehovah's witnesses and Mormons cultic? This shouldn't be a difficult question to answer. Quit with the thesis. No one will grade u.

2 Likes

Re: The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult by Shinebright24: 7:53pm On Apr 04, 2015
You are just talking and making no end.
Hit your head on the nail, sorry, hit the nail on your head, oh sorry, Hit the nail on the head let's get ur point.

2 Likes

Re: The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult by godsamist: 10:00pm On Apr 04, 2015
Very very pathetic,the issue is there are still many of them in town,one after another,the true God in heaven wil continue disgracing and exposing them out of their hiding zones!
These are the same people who made Christ wept yet,they are not satisfied,but this time around,power don change hand,its now that fake churchs and there members turn to moan under torment from above.(Amen!)

2 Likes

Re: The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult by WinsomeX: 10:01pm On Apr 04, 2015
vfactor:
Whats a definition of a cult and how are Christ Embassy, Jehovah's witnesses and Mormons cultic? This shouldn't be a difficult question to answer. Quit with the thesis. No one will grade u.

Find your answer in the third post.

Sorry about the thesis. This is the shortest discuss one can get to discuss cults. Cults flourish bc folks like you cannot read... read thesis.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult by WinsomeX: 10:13pm On Apr 04, 2015
CC: PastorKun, nannymcphee.
Re: The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult by Topgainer: 11:03pm On Apr 04, 2015
Loves World alias CEC is not the only cult organization imprisoning youths, dispossessing them of their earnings, creating a faked feelings of well-being, comfort and all sufficiency, ultimately leading many to destruction. The Bible foretold of many false teachers and prophets in the end time who will masquerade as Angels
I am convinced that Loves World will be exposed for what it is - a faked Christianity spreading faked Gospel

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult by Gombs(m): 11:11pm On Apr 04, 2015
Just saw this. It's a good read, and I'm not through, but I gotta sleep bro.

Tomorrow is a good day to tackle your points, assuming you made any.

Cc:
Mbaemeka,kenny4lyf, nlmediator,image123
Re: The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult by Gombs(m): 11:14pm On Apr 04, 2015
Gombs
Re: The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult by Nobody: 11:17pm On Apr 04, 2015
Hi. What do you stand to gain from this post?
I believe you have taken it upon yourself like a goal to bring this man down and publcize the ill that you think is being pperpetrated there.
Whats really your gain?.

Anyway, as for me and my beliefs and convictions, I dont think that church is somewhere I can attend or visit.

Ofcourse I hold nothing against them or their members as there are great Jesus people who attend the church but I do not like their teachings.

2 Likes

Re: The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult by Nobody: 11:30pm On Apr 04, 2015
WinsomeX:

Find your answer in the third post.

Sorry about the thesis. This is the shortest discuss one can get to discuss cults. Cults flourish bc folks like you cannot read... read thesis.

Going by your definition of a cult in the 3rd post, it would mean that 90% of the churches in Nigeria are all cults. Cos they worship their founders (those who call their GO daddy and hold unto his words more than the bible), perform fake miracles and condone sin. They re also violent (verbally) when confronted with questions about their beliefs.

By d dictionary definition the above doesn't define a cult. Oxford dictionary defines a cult as a small group of people who have EXTREME RELIGIOUS BELIEFS and are not part of any ESTABLISHED RELIGION.

Going by this definition by an authority such as the Oxford Dictionary, the religious groups u mentioned above (Christ Embassy, Jehovah's witnesses) cannot be said to be a cult. For they claim to be christians and as far I know do not have extreme religious beliefs. (Especially the witnesses). I feel if any of those religious organisations should sue you for libel, u'd pay heavily. Get you facts right!!

4 Likes

Re: The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult by omat20(m): 12:22am On Apr 05, 2015
Shinebright24:
You are just talking and making no end.
Hit your head on the nail, sorry, hit the nail on your head, oh sorry, Hit the nail on the head let's get ur point.
grin
Re: The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult by Nobody: 1:40am On Apr 05, 2015
I know before by the Spirit of God
Re: The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult by simplex2: 6:23am On Apr 05, 2015
If your post is anything to go by; then mostly all christians are cultist and churches cults.
For catholics, it is the pope and their doctrine.
For Winners it is their daddy, the keeper of the key to gates of hell.
Have you heard of the Lords chosen and their 'God of chosen'?

What you call sin is a human nature and not peculiar to any church. That a member of CE screwed a chorister doesn't mean its a norm in CE; other church members do same and even more.

Not that I buy any of you people's religious hypocrisy anyway; you all are same! Bunch'a hypocrites!

4 Likes

Re: The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult by Gombs(m): 6:36am On Apr 05, 2015
vfactor:

Going by your definition of a cult in the 3rd post, it would mean that 90% of the churches in Nigeria are all cults. Cos they worship their founders (those who call their GO daddy and hold unto his words more than the bible), perform fake miracles and condone sin. They re also violent (verbally) when confronted with questions about their beliefs.

By d dictionary definition the above doesn't define a cult. Oxford dictionary defines a cult as a small group of people who have EXTREME RELIGIOUS BELIEFS and are not part of any ESTABLISHED RELIGION.

Going by this definition by an authority such as the Oxford Dictionary, the religious groups u mentioned above (Christ Embassy, Jehovah's witnesses) cannot be said to be a cult. For they claim to be christians and as far I know do not have extreme religious beliefs. (Especially the witnesses). I feel if any of those religious organisations should sue you for libel, u'd pay heavily. Get you facts right!!

Ah! You've already started nailing my old friend. I see you've noticed how he gets his stories upside down to suit his insatiable obsession to paint CE black.

Wait let me get time after service today and get him straightened.

Winsomex aka Drummaboy, hope you can see how this thread will end? I already do wink

2 Likes

Re: The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult by WinsomeX: 6:52am On Apr 05, 2015
Gombs:

Ah! You've already started nailing my old friend. I see you've noticed how he gets his stories upside down to suit his insatiable obsession to paint CE black.

Wait let me get time after service today and get him straightened.

Winsomex aka Drummaboy, hope you can see how this thread will end? I already do wink

While you prepare a response for me, you may also want to respond to this:

Topgainer:
Loves World alias CEC is not the only cult organization imprisoning youths, dispossessing them of their earnings, creating a faked feelings of well-being, comfort and all sufficiency, ultimately leading many to destruction. The Bible foretold of many false teachers and prophets in the end time who will masquerade as Angels
I am convinced that Loves World will be exposed for what it is - a faked Christianity spreading faked Gospel

1 Like

Re: The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult by Gombs(m): 6:55am On Apr 05, 2015
^^

Sure Buddy. I'd use a laptop for this thread. wink

Today is a Good Day! May the joy of His resurrection fill your home this Easter and beyond. Happy Easter from all of us at Christ Embassy. cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult by WinsomeX: 8:08am On Apr 05, 2015
CHRISTIAN SCIENCE by Walter Martins

The Christian Science Church is headquartered on the fourteen-acre complex of the First Church of Christ, Scientist in the Back Bay section of Boston, Massachusetts. According to their official Internet homepage, the group has 2,300 branch churches in over sixty countries throughout the world. Approximately 1,600 of these branch churches are in the United States and about sixty are in Canada. While the church’s by-laws forbid releasing membership statistics, outside estimates put the total number of followers at around 150,000. The body is governed by a five-member Board of Directors. The current president of the Christian Science Church is J. Thomas Black, from Birmingham, Michigan. The organisation is run by Black and his Board of Trustees of Boston’s First Church of Christ, Scientist, the "Mother" Church. Unlike many cults in which the founder’s successors retain the same status as the founder, in Christian Science all spiritual authority is vested in Mary Baker Eddy, not any other presidents, including Black. Christian Scientists call Eddy their "Leader," explaining, "Christian Scientists refer to Eddy as the Discoverer, Founder, and Leader of Christian Science."

1 It is to her writings and teachings that Christian Scientists refer for guidance: "The truth is in the Bible and Science and Health. And the proof is in nearly 125 years of consistent healing based on these books. You have come home. … This age is awake with discovery. … Science and Health, the Church that publishes it, and all of those united with this dynamic movement of thought are at the epicentre of this mental awakening." 2 For decades Christian Science was the matriarch of the Mind Science family. With a large and growing membership, secular and religious respect, and great wealth, the Mother Church predominated the Mind Science movement and was more important in almost all respects than Unity School of Christianity, Mind Science, Religious Science, Divine Science, and their other siblings. However, during the 1960s a trend became apparent. Christian Science was losing members and income at a steady and significant rate. By the mid-’70s Christian Science members and even the public media were aware that the decline was long term and steady. Scandal rocked the Mother Church in 1976 with charges of financial, moral, and spiritual corruption among the top leaders. In the early ’80s the Christian Science cult regrouped its forces and began to present a calm face to the world, and since the middle of the decade has solidified its public image as a benign Christian denomination of thoughtful, spiritually mature people who enjoy a rather intellectual, quiet faith that gives them peace with God without any of the unappealing aspects of traditional Christianity, such as the existence of hell, the doctrine of the Trinity, or the incarnation, resurrection, and atonement of Jesus Christ.

But in the late ’80s and early ’90s the church again experienced stormy turmoil due to negative media coverage of lawsuits, financial difficulties, and internal upheaval. Several court battles produced international headlines as members were charged with manslaughter, murder, and child abuse for choosing prayer over medical treatment for illness. In Minnesota, one four-week trial in 1994 levied a $14 million punitive damage award against the Mother Church, which a judge later reduced to $10.4 million. 3 In 1995, the Minnesota Court of Appeals overturned this judgment. 4 This court left intact $1.5 million in compensatory damages against the parents and two Christian Science practitioners. United States Supreme Court refused to hear the appeal of this case. 5 The 6 Now the Mother Church, contrary to it’s founder’s philosophy, has revised its strong prohibition against medical treatment. Though highly regarded by many, the Christian Science Publishing Society’s media operations have struggled for years. According to Forbes magazine, the influential newspaper The Christian Science Monitor won respect not for proselytising but for its sober and thoughtful international coverage. 7 Yet it has not turned a profit since 1961 with losses in excess of $250 million. in 1986 was abandoned in mid-1992 after losing $235 million. 8 A television venture that began 9 To obtain cash with these setbacks, in 1992 more than $40 million was borrowed from the employee pension fund to keep the church solvent. 10 In 1991 a book rejected by the church over forty years ago, The Destiny of the Mother Church, which deified church founder Mary Baker Eddy, was published so that the Mother Church might receive a $97 million bequest from a California church family. 11 According to the April 1, 1992 issue of The Christian Century, eight respected church publications editors resigned in protest, as the book violated Eddy’s own beliefs. 12 Two other rival beneficiaries, Stanford University and the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, filed suit arguing that the church had not fulfilled the terms of the will. church $53 million, with the remainder split between the other two parties. 13 A 1993 settlement gave the 14 Also, the church was under investigation by the U.S. Postal Service for violation of non-profit mailing rates. 15 It is interesting to note that while groups such as the Mormons, Jehovah’s Witnesses, and others are enjoying unprecedented growth in Third World and formerly communist countries, Christian Science continues to maintain the bulk of its membership among North Americans, Northern Europeans, and the better educated, more Westernised people of other countries.

In terms of American-based cults, Christian Science ranks financially weak compared to the much larger cults of the Mormons and Jehovah’s Witnesses, but is still in competition with other Mind Science-based cults individually, such as Science of Mind and the Church of Religious Science. In 1997, as this book is being revised, the church faces an ageing membership. It remains to be seen whether Christian Science will continue to be noteworthy or fade into insignificance in the twenty-first century. For the present, however, the Christian Science cult is a powerful force with which evangelical Christians everywhere must deal. While The Christian Science Monitor’s circulation was only 73,000 in 1997, an electronic version is available to millions on the Internet. An abundance of other Christian Science theology web sites exist that espouse the organisation's doctrine. Most major university campuses have chapters of Christian Science Organisations (CSOs) consisting of faculty and students who put a mainstream face on current issues with Christian Science philosophy. Furthermore, each branch church maintains a Christian Science Reading Room in a prominent neighbourhood location or on church property. These rooms contain Christian Science books, newspapers, journals, and Bible lessons that are available for public use, introducing seekers to Christian Science theology by a veneer of scholarship and a hefty coating of compassion. Newcomers are urged to attend a midweek "testimony" meeting, where more experienced Christian Scientists share their testimonies of "spiritual" healing through Christian Science meditation and prayer. 16 In the rest of this chapter, we shall examine its roots, founder, growth, and controversies, and contrast its teachings with the clear word of Scripture. Of all the persons destined for religious prominence and success in the nineteenth century, none has eclipsed Mary Ann Morse Baker—better known among the band of faithful Christian Scientists as Mary Baker Eddy, "Mother" and Leader, the "Discoverer and Founder" of Christian Science.

Mary Baker was born in 1821 in Bow, New Hampshire, in the humble surroundings of a farm house and was reared a strict Congregationalist by her parents, Mark and Abigail Baker. The life of young Mary Baker until her twenty-second year was marked with frequent illnesses of both an emotional and physical nature, 17 and the then infant science of mesmerism was not infrequently applied to her case with some success. In December of 1843, at the age of twenty-two, the future Eddy was married to George W. Glover, a neighbouring businessman, whose untimely death of yellow fever in Wilmington, South Carolina, some seven months later reduced his pregnant wife to an emotional and highly unstable invalid, who, throughout the remaining years of her life, relied from time to time upon the drug morphine as a medication. 18 Supporters of Christian Science have continued to deny Eddy’s morphine use, but the evidence is incontrovertible. Her biographer, Robert Peel, noted, "In order to lessen the pain of the move the doctor gave her one-eighth of a grain of morphine." 19 Additional documentation of her morphine use, which increased during the last years of her life, are in the works of James Dittemore, Calvin Frye, and unpublished, hand-written material of Eddy’s own. Dittemore was the former director of the Mother Church; Frye was Eddy’s assistant until her death. To be sure, no informed person believes that Eddy was a "dope addict," but much evidence from reliable sources is available to show beyond doubt that throughout her life Eddy made repeated use of this drug. 20 A decade passed in the life of Mary Glover during which she had many trying experiences, and then on June 21, 1853, she married Dr. Daniel M. Patterson, a dentist, who, contrary to the advice of Mary’s own father, took the emotionally unstable widow Mary Glover for his bride. The advice of Mark Baker was indeed ominously accurate, for some years later Mary Baker Glover Patterson divorced Dr. Patterson, who she claimed had abandoned her, and thus her second attempt at matrimony met with crushing disaster. The third and last marriage of Mary Baker was to one Asa G. Eddy when Mary was fifty-six years of age.

(Concluded in book)
Re: The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult by WinsomeX: 8:09am On Apr 05, 2015
MORMONISM by Walter Martins

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is distinctive among all the religious cults and sects active in the United States in that it has by far the most fascinating history, and one worthy of consideration by all students of religions originating on the American continent. The Latter-day Saints, as they are commonly called, are divided into two major groups, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the Mormons), with headquarters in Salt Lake City, Utah, and The Reorganised Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints with headquarters in Independence, Missouri. Today, over 167 years after the movement’s founding, the Mormons own considerable stock in the agricultural and industrial wealth of America and circle the earth in missionary activities, energetically rivalling evangelical Christianity. The former group, which is the main concern of this chapter, claims a membership in excess of nine million (Ensign Magazine, May 1995, 22). The Reorganised Church has just over 240,000 members world-wide and has won acceptance in some quarters as a "sect of fundamentalism." The Reorganised Church, which rejects the name "Mormon," is briefly reviewed in this chapter, but there can be little doubt that it is composed of a zealous group of dedicated people. They irritate the Utah Mormon Church consistently by pointing out that court decisions have established their claim that they are the true church and Utah the schismatic. From its founding, the Mormon Church has been characterised by thriftiness, zeal, and an admirable missionary spirit, as even before the advent of World War II, it had more than 2,000 missionaries active on all the mission fields of the world. Since the close of World War II, however, and in keeping with the acceleration of cult propaganda everywhere, the Mormons have around 50,000 "missionaries" active today.

The missionary effort of the Mormon Church is seldom matched by any other religious endeavour. The young Mormon children are taught from primary age onward that it is their duty to the church to serve a mission following high school. The entire missionary force is broken down into the following percentages: 75 percent single males, 19 percent single females, and 6 percent married couples. One interesting fact, however, accounts for this large missionary force, and that is the practice of the Mormon Church to encourage its most promising young people, boys aged nineteen and older and girls aged twenty-one and older, to perform missionary work. Only in recent years did the Mormon Church begin to subsidise the expenses of their American and Canadian missionaries. Membership in the Mormon Church now increases each year at an average rate of 300,000 conversions and 75,000 children’s baptisms. The Mormons have a birth-rate of 28.1 per thousand, in contrast to the average 15.9 birth-rate of the United States. 1 According to the teaching of the Mormon Church, Mormons are to preserve their bodies always in the best of health and are cautioned against the use of tobacco and alcohol, and even the drinking of tea, coffee, and other caffeine-bearing drinks, such as Coca Cola.

Strongly insistent upon the Old Testament principle of tithing, the Mormon Church requires all temple Mormons and requests members to meet the biblical one-tenth of their gross income. The facts and figures for the wealth of the Mormon Church have been carefully guarded for years. However, in 1991 the Arizona Republic newspaper ran a series entitled "Mormon Inc. Finances & Faith," which estimated that the Mormon Church conservatively "collects about $4.3 billion from its members a year plus $400 million from its many enterprises." Stating that "only a few church officials know how the money is spent," the articles maintained that the church’s investment portfolio "easily exceeds $5 billion, including $1 billion in stocks and bonds and another $1 billion in real estate. The reader should bear in mind that the Mormons put this money to good use in the expansion of their church, a truth borne out by the fact that the church is rapidly expanding its real estate holdings, both for commercial and ecclesiastical purposes. The "Saints" now have around fifty temples in operation, with many more either in design or under construction on every continent on the globe. The Mormon university in Utah, Brigham Young University, boasts more than 37,000 students on two campuses. Promulgated as it is by determined, zealous, missionary-minded people who have a practical religion of "good works" and clean living, the Mormons each year spend millions of dollars in the circulation of the writings and teachings of their prophets and apostles, while proselytising any and all listeners regardless of church affiliation. 2 In addition to their regular tithing fund, the Mormon Church also encourages what it terms "fast offerings." This unusual practice involves the giving up of two meals on the first Sunday of each month, the price of which is turned over to the church as a voluntary contribution to support and feed the poor. Since education ranks high in Mormon circles, the existence of their "seminary" and "institute" programs for high school and college students with an enrolment of over half a million is what could be expected of such systematic growth. The church also has more than fifty schools outside of the United States, most of which are in Mexico and the South Pacific. Mormonism, then, is not one of the cults tending to appeal merely to the uneducated, as for the most part Jehovah’s Witnesses do, but instead it exalts education, which results in huge amounts of printed propaganda flowing from its presses in the millions of copies annually.

The Mormons are also great chapel and temple builders, temples being reserved for the solemnisation of "celestial" marriages, sealings, plus proxy baptisms and other ordinances for the dead (nearly 5.5 million sacred endowment rituals performed in 1993 alone). Such temples are forbidden to "Gentiles" (a Mormon term for all nonMormons) and are truly beautiful buildings, usually extremely costly both in construction and furnishings. Along with their strong emphasis on education, the Mormons believe in sports, hobbies, dramatics, music, homemaking courses for prospective brides, dances, and dramatic festivals. The Mormon organisation that sponsors a good deal of this is known as the Mutual Improvement Association, and has sponsored literally thousands and thousands of dances and other programs designed to attract and entertain young people. Each Mormon dance is begun with prayer and closed with the singing of a hymn. Mormonism does all that is humanly possible to make its church organisation a home away from home for Mormon children and young people, and its low level of juvenile delinquency is in a marke Emphasising as they do the importance of missions, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir has become famous and is well known to all radio listeners. The choir contains 350 singers and has a repertoire of hundreds of anthems. The Mormon Tabernacle Choir began network broadcasting in 1929.

Those who would tend to write off the Mormons as an influential force in the United States would do well to remember that Mormons have more adherents listed in Who’s Who in America than any other one religion, and this also holds true for the scientific honour societies of our nation. Mormon leaders have become powerful in almost all branches of American government, headed by former Secretary of Agriculture Ezra Taft Benson, the late thirteenth prophet of the Mormon Church; former Treasury Secretary David M. Kennedy; former Treasurers Angela (Bay) Buchanan and the late Ivy Baker Priest; former Education Secretary Terrel H. Bell; former Michigan governor George Romney; Marriner S. Eccles; numerous U.S. ambassadors; and dozens of U.S. senators and representatives, to name but a few. Far from being an organisation of minor influence, the Mormons are indeed a potent political and social force to be reckoned with, a fact that few informed persons would doubt.
Re: The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult by WinsomeX: 8:10am On Apr 05, 2015
JEHOVAH WITNESSES by Walter Martins

A Brief History

Charles Taze Russell was the founder of what is now known as the Jehovah’s Witnesses cult and the energetic administrator that brought about its far-flung organisation. The name Jehovah’s Witnesses, incidentally, was taken at Columbus, Ohio, in 1931, to differentiate between the Watchtower organisation run by Judge Rutherford, Russell’s successor, and those who remained as true followers of Russell as represented by The Dawn Bible Students and the Laymen’s Home Missionary Movement. C. T. Russell was born on February 16, 1852, the son of Joseph L. and Anna Eliza Russell, and spent most of his early years in Pittsburgh and Allegheny, Pennsylvania, where at the age of twenty-five he was known to be manager of several men’s furnishings stores. At an early age he rejected the doctrine of eternal torment, probably because of the severe indoctrination he had received as a Congregationalist, and as a result of this act entered upon a long and varied career of denunciation aimed at "Organised Religions." In 1870, at the age of eighteen, Russell organised a Bible class in Pittsburgh, which in 1876 elected him "Pastor" of the group. From 1876 to 1878 the "Pastor" was assistant editor of a small Rochester, New York, monthly magazine, but he resigned when a controversy arose over Russell’s counterarguments on "the atonement" of Christ. Shortly after leaving his position, Russell founded The Herald of the Morning (1879), which developed into today’s The Watchtower Announcing Jehovah’s Kingdom. From 6,000 initial issues, the publication has grown to 17.8 million copies per month in 106 languages.

The other Watchtower periodical, Awake!, has a circulation of 15.6 million per month in thirty-four languages. It is true that this magazine has grown until it has surpassed even Russell’s fondest dreams. In the year 1884, "Pastor" Russell incorporated "Zion’s Watch Tower Tract Society" at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, which in 1886 published the first in a series of seven books (Russell wrote six by himself), now entitled Studies in the Scriptures and originally published as The Millennial Dawn. The seventh volume was edited from his writings after his death and published in 1917. This seventh volume, The Finished Mystery, caused a split in the organisation, which culminated in a clean division, the larger group following J. F. Rutherford, the smaller remaining by itself. This smaller group subsequently became "The Dawn Bible Students Association." Meanwhile, under Rutherford’s leadership, the "Society" became known by its present common name, "Jehovah’s Witnesses," and its corporate name, The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, with its international office in Brooklyn, New York. According to Watchtower statistics, in January 1981, the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society (founded 1896), which is the focal point of the organisation, had known branches in more than 100 lands and missionary works and Kingdom preaching in over 250. Its literature is distributed in 110 languages, and the Society’s volunteers (called "publishers"wink numbered 563,453. The Society has become a great disseminator of propaganda and a challenge to the zeal of every Christian.

In the year 1908 the headquarters of the movement was transferred to Brooklyn, New York, where property was purchased (17 Hicks Street) and became known as "The Brooklyn Tabernacle." Large tracts of property were purchased by the Society in Columbia Heights as it grew and prospered, until today whole blocks are in their possession. Among the other things the Society owns are a large, up-to-date printing plant, which has produced billions of pieces of literature since its inauguration in 1928 and expansions in 1949 and 1957; a modern apartment building and office quarters; one "Kingdom Farm," which supplies food, wood for furniture, etc.; a Bible school, "Gilead"; and many more enterprises of like character. All employees in the factory are allowed a nominal sum, receive room and board, and work for nothing—no salaries are paid (although workers are given a small amount of spending money each month for incidental personal expenses and purchases—a few years ago that amount was fourteen dollars per month).
Re: The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult by WinsomeX: 8:11am On Apr 05, 2015
WORD FAITH from the Appendix of Kingdom of The Cults by Walter Martins

A growing number of pastors, teachers, and evangelists within the Charismatic/Pentecostal circles of the Christian church are advancing what has come to be known as the "Word Faith" movement. Its major leaders include such prominent figures as Kenneth Hagin, pastor of rhema Bible Church and founder of rhema Bible Training Centre; Kenneth Copeland, leader of Kenneth Copeland Ministries; Frederick K. C. Price, pastor of the Los Angeles-based Crenshaw Christian Centre (with a purported membership of more than 16,000 in Seoul, Korea. 1); and David (Paul) Yongii Cho, who pastors one of the largest churches in the world 2 Other well-known Word Faith personalities include Gloria Copeland, Robert Tilton, John Avanzini, John Osteen, T. L. Osborne, Marilyn Hickey, Jerry Savelle, Morris Cerullo, Casey Treat, Dwight Thompson, and Oral and Richard Roberts. Although Word Faith doctrines commonly are disseminated through radio broadcasts, tapes, books, and tracts, primarily they are spread through the Trinity Broadcasting Network (TBN), which regularly airs the programs of more than a dozen Word Faith teachers. 3 Paul and Jan Crouch, the directors of tbn, who are themselves deeply involved in the movement, have also featured Word Faith teachers as special guests on their "Praise the Lord" and "Praise-a-thon" (fund-raiser) programs. The Crouchs’ world-wide platform has mainstreamed Word Faith theology to the lives of millions of Christians who would not otherwise have encountered Word Faith theology.

Rarely has Christianity felt an unbiblical influence as all-pervasive as the Word Faith movement. It has enjoyed such an increasing acceptance 4 that to the minds of many it is "no longer just a part of the charismatic movement: it is the charismatic movement." 5 Some have labelled its doctrines "heresy," "cultic," "Gnostic," and "a work of Satan." 8 6 One critic has said that the Word Faith gospel is "perhaps the most subtle heretical system to emerge in our own times." 7 Another has referred to it as "a form of transcendentalism or Gnosticism (from which have come such metaphysical cults as Christian Science, Unity School of Christianity, and now the health and wealth cult)." At this juncture it would be appropriate to quote Hank Hanegraaff, the president of the Christian Research Institute. "While the Faith movement is undeniably cultic—and particular groups within the movement are clearly cults—it should be pointed out that there are many sincere, born-again believers within the movement. I cannot overemphasise this crucial point. These believers, for the most part, seem to be wholly unaware of the movement’s cultic theology. … They represent that segment of the movement which, for whatever reason, has not comprehended or internalised the heretical teaching set forth by the leadership of their respective groups." 9 If the gospel of the Word Faith movement is unbiblical, why is it so popular among Christians?

First, the movement "uses so much evangelical and Pentecostal terminology and so many biblical proof texts that most believers are lulled into a false sense of security as to its orthodoxy." 10 Second, its message is "without question the most attractive message being preached today, or for that matter, in the whole history of the church." 11 D. R. McConnell, a Word Faith critic and a graduate of Word Faith College, Oral Roberts University, observes, Seldom, if ever, has there been a gospel that has promised so much, and demanded so little. The Faith gospel is a message ideally suited to the twentieth-century American Christian. In an age in America characterised by complexity, the Faith gospel gives simple, if not revelational, answers. In an economy fuelled by materialism and fired by the ambitions of the "upwardly mobile," the Faith gospel preaches wealth and prosperity. The Faith gospel promises health and long life to a world in which death can come a myriad of different ways. Finally, in an international environment characterised by anarchy, in which terrorists strike at will and nuclear holocaust can come screaming from the sky at any moment, the Faith gospel confers an authority with which the believer can supposedly exercise complete control over his or her own environment. 12 The apostle Paul, writing to the Corinthians about false teachers, said, "I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtlety, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him" (2 Corinthians 11:3–4). This passage perfectly illustrates today’s events. Christians everywhere are not merely tolerating but actually embracing what the Word Faith movement is handing out: a false Jesus, another gospel, and a different spirit. What exactly does the Word Faith movement teach? Why are Word Faith doctrines so spiritually and physically dangerous? Can anything be done to correct brothers and sisters in Christ who have succumbed to Word Faith lies? These questions must be answered if the unity of the Christian faith is going to be preserved. Far too many have already succumbed to Word Faith teachings in fulfilment of 2 Timothy 4:3–4: "For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; and they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables."
Re: The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult by WinsomeX: 8:13am On Apr 05, 2015
The above spaces are reserved to paste Dr Martins exposition on the aforementioned so that readers could understand the rational in reaching the conclusion that Christ Embassy Church is a cult.
Re: The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult by Gombs(m): 10:27am On Apr 05, 2015
^^
You want to ruin this thread with long expositions, like your other threads?

Put one, we discuss, then another... That way, the thead can be extensive and topics utterly discussed.

I still dey church.
Re: The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult by WinsomeX: 11:12am On Apr 05, 2015
Gombs:
^^
You want to ruin this thread with long expositions, like your other threads?

Put one, we discuss, then another... That way, the thead can be extensive and topics utterly discussed.

I still dey church.

OK.

We will work with what has been provided already. You can take them one after another and we will treat them.

List them
Re: The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult by Gombs(m): 1:56pm On Apr 05, 2015
WinsomeX:
www.servantofmessiah.org/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2011/08/Kingdom-of-the-Cults-by-Walter-Martin.pdf

www.nairaland.com/1790500/word-faith-movements-doctrine-proponents

THE CULTIC CONNECTION IN THE WORD OF FAITH MOVEMENT

The first of the two links provided above is a PDF download link to a book written by Dr Walter Martins on cult organizations in Christendom. Dr Martin, died 1989, was considered an authority in cult organizations. Thanks to his research and work, organizations like the Jehovah Witnesses, Christian Science and Mormons, are now known as cults among church people. The book also discusses other cult organizations. This edition however composed of some addition to what Dr Martins had written. It has a section in the Appendix that discusses the Word of Faith movement, page 479. Everything that was written in that appendix was simply a confirmation of what trustman, DrummaBoy and BabaGnoni had discussed in a thread on Word of Faith. Find the thread above. The conclusion was that the Word of Faith had cultic influences, even if it cannot be called a strict cult. In my submission next, I wish to argue that the Christ Embassy Church, while teaching WoF, has finally crossed over to being a cult organization and that people need to beware of this.

Skipped for obvious reasons.

I refer my readers to the two documents above for a thorough study into Word of Faith and other cults. But I will simply just do a summary on the cultic connection in Word of Faith.

yeah... i like this part a lot more

The teachings of Word of Faith can be summarised in the followings, as gleaned from the Kingdom of Cults, page 479:

1. Faith in faith.

2. Confessing to Possessing.

3. The Sin of Suffering

4. Wealth (The Wheel of Fortune).

5. Health and Healing.

...and much more... But, what exactly is wrong with any of the above? Of course people take anything to extremes, but labelling them wrong all together is the greater evil.

You may refer to the above links for a thorough understanding into these[b] five essential false doctrines of the WoF. [/b] But here I shall conclude on what exactly is the gospel of Jesus Christ and why the WOF is not Christ gospel.

We've been through this all, but i am willing to take you on, perhaps we may have a detailed discussion here.

THE GOSPEL

The gospel of Jesus Christ is not health and wealth. Regardless of how the Word Faith enthusiasts spin scriptures, Jesus did not die so that we all could be healthy and wealthy.

would it be convenient to say, judging from your post that Jesus failed and lied to us when he said ALL power has been given unto us, and therefore asked us to heal the sick and cast out devils? i was studying last week and came upon a scripture, not that i havent seen it before, but... it gave me a whole new perspective of what Jesus did for Christians.

Hebrews 2 NIV
14 Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might break the power of him who holds the power of death—that is, the devil—

15 and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death.

16 For surely it is not angels he helps, but Abraham’s descendants .

17 For this reason he had to be made like them, fully human in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people.

oh! I said "Lord God, thank you for what you did for me, I wish I can tell all the world this". The good book just told us Jesus broke the powers of he who had the power of death and free all those who's been in bondage of fear of death. Sickness and diseases, poverty etc are not of God, they put alot of folks under bondage, and subsequently fear of death.

Every disease is incipient death, and look, the bible said Jesus did this for descendants of Abraham ONLY (Born Again). Why did the writer have to be specific about the recipients of this work by Christ?

This is why Jesus came to the world and why he died:

Matthew 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

This statement portrays partly why He came. You should know that by now na. See Jesus' purpose here, written by the disciple Jesus loved the most.

1 John 3:8 KJV
He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. [size=18pt]For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. [/size]

Saving folks from sin by giving His life was a part, delivering them to their inheritance is another. That's was why He rose, God rose Him from the dead to prove Jesus is His son with power. His resurrection gave birth to the new creation, who is not subject to the rules of this world, including sickness and poverty. Why? Because the life of God is what the new creation has, it is called Zoe - the God kind of life ie eternal life.

Sickness, disease and poverty and all form of negativities are not from God, for if they were, we all ought to do God's will, and if sickness and poverty are His will for us, we might as well strive to be sick and/or poor.

Jesus came to die to save men from sin. The message of this season, Easter. Nothing more.

Well, it is not fitly alright to end it thus, as you did. Jesus came to destroy the works of Satan, the machinations and structures Satan has ruled the world of men with. Jesus came to give much more. Some folks say Jesus came to restore the glory Adam lost, but that's not true. Jesus brought us a higher form of it. We're the Church of Jesus Christ, and the Lord Jesus has given us His glory: "And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one" (John 17:22).

Saying Jesus came to save men from sin only (As you said "Nothing More"wink is erroneous. He save us from sin on the cross, that's what His death did, but what about His resurrection? That's the message of Easter, His resurrection power and the new creation.

The bad news of humanity is that all men are born sinners. God then set in an initiative to save men. He came to the world as Christ and died for men's sins. The reason was because God is a righteous judge and will judge sin. When Christ died, God judged the sin of the world on him. So that whoever believes in Christ can have his sins judged and taken and away on the cross.

Be ni

The consequence is two folds: Christians will not suffer God's judgement and Christian possess power over sin to live holy. Thus, we may not be able to say you are going to heaven but we sure can see the fruit of your life, holiness, without which no man shall see God.

HA! Ogbeni

God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, FAR above all principalities and powers. Why did you omit this part?

We were all under a brutal rulership of Satan, God sent Jesus to deliver us from sin and bring us up to His rest- His glorious inheritance to the saints (Abraham's promises). That's the way it was with us before Christ came. We were like children; we were in bondage/slaves to the elements (basic spiritual principles) of this world.

WoF miss the point of the gospel when they say that in addition to redemption from sin, the cross has secured health and wealth for Christians.

but it did. A quick question bro, explain this to me as you would to a 5 year old.

3 John 1:2 Living Bible (TLB)

2 Dear friend, I am praying that all is well with you and that your body is as healthy as I know your soul is.

The easiest answer to this position is that in Christ we see holiness and heavenliness; however Jesus suffered poverty

https://www.nairaland.com/1957135/midas-touch-balanced-approach-biblical#27289013

Maybe you need to refresh your memory sir.
"The truth is that in no way did Jesus live a "destitute, inferior, indigent, needy, impoverished, feeble, pitiful, lacking, insufficient" life. Those terms are all used in defining the meaning of the word "poor." "

and identified with the sick in Matthew 25, saying "when I was sick..."; shall we say Jesus was not of God for being poor and [size=28pt]sick[/size]?

Jesus was sick too? Tired? yes, but sick? shocked shocked shocked cc:Alwaystrue, Bidam come and see o

In the long run, WoF ceases to teach holiness and heavenliness. Rather their emphasis are health, wealth, success, promotion, motivation, etc.

your opinion, gladly, it doesn't matter.

These discussions have become important because a large section of prophesing Christians are now WoF enthusiasts.

Hab 2:14 King James Bible
For the earth shall be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea.

it's a prophecy amigo! wink

1 Like

Re: The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult by stonecoldcafe: 2:26pm On Apr 05, 2015
Op I believe you. I will make my humble submission and bow out. I'm not here to argue or trade words with anyone.

Pastor Chris is a man I always admired. While I was still @ the university, I attended the fellowship but after a month or two I had to flee. Now this is very personal. No one annoyed me or said anything but I just felt deep in my heart I was not in the right place. Shortly afterwards I got admission to a better school with a better course and left.

I had good friends who remained there. They grew up the ranks and became leaders and pastors in the church. Now here is where it gets funny. I recall one of such people becoming really distant. I tried to fill the gap but NO WAY. It was not just me but other friends who noticed it. Even her siblings became worried.

This friend was like a fanatic n the person said things we couldn't understand "I'm a god haha! I am above you. You don't understand, I walk through walls. I'm invisible haha! (Burst into tongues) my pastor said ..."

You could not reason with this person on any wave length. I knew someone else who was GREATLY persecuted for choosing to marry a fellow believer from another church. I knew another person who was totally shunned by ALL. I'm talking close friends in CE leaders and pastors just because he said God has given him a mandate to open his own church.

By the way the above brother was a fanatic, Pastor Chris talking, jerry curl hair and all that yet all that didn't save him once he claimed God had called him to a new ministry

2 Likes

Re: The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult by stonecoldcafe: 2:26pm On Apr 05, 2015
I knew a fellow who attended another church (he was a leader) but went to the fellowship then. During a meeting, for some reason they were asked who didn't worship @ CE. This fellow lifted his hand up and that was where the problem started. LOL

That same day his deputy took over and people began to shun him. VERY WEIRD you'd agree for just a fellowship. All these things along with the TB Joshua saga then,separating man from wife in the guise of pastoring a church and people thinking this is great, masturbation is not a sin, immorality by senior members and members alike, Pastors separation and allegation by Pastor Anita, Pastor Chris washing his wife publicly (in that tape) and so much more makes me wonder about that Church. Something about it leaves me with more question. Oh well each to their own!

1 Like

Re: The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult by Gombs(m): 2:35pm On Apr 05, 2015
[quote author=WinsomeX post=32353088]WHY CHRIST EMBASSY IS A CULT

From my perspective, an organization can be said to be a cult from what it teaches and it's lifestyle.

You've almost always have/had a wrong perspective. Your definition of cult above is sorely wrong. I believe a nice chap here has corrected you, not like you'd heed correction though.

We have seen that the essential teaching of CEC is WoF. While WoF is clearly false a wholesome doctrine, I hesitate to describe all churches teaching Word Faith as cults because they emphasize certain truths that still keeps them "safe". Example, many of these churches believe in Christ's deity. They encourage a heart submission to Christ's Lordship and encourage holy living. These minimums still keeps them from going overboard. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of Christ Embassy.

i almost choked with laughter from the above bold. grin grin grin grin grin

The following are a quick shot at why CEC is today a cult.

1. Chris Oyakhilome is their god.

While discussing cult organizations, Walter Martins made it clear that cult organization usually refer to a man or woman as their sole authority, not the bible. For Jehovah Witnesses it was Charles Taze Russell . For Christian Science it is Mary Eddy Baker. For Mormons it is Joseph Smith . And for Christ Embassy, it is Chris Oyakhilome. We only need to see how these other cult organization equate the literatures of their founders to the bible, and in many cases, subordinating scriptures to the words of their founders, to agree with me. That's the tragedy of literatures like Rhapsody of Realities, etc, in the CEC.

1. You lie, as always. Pastor Chris is not my god, he however, is my father in the Lord, and the bible clearly asked me to copy/imitate...let me just quote it for you

1 Corinthians 11:1 New Living Translation
And you should imitate me, just as I imitate Christ.

1 corinth 4:15 New Living Translation
For even if you had ten thousand others to teach you about Christ, you have only one spiritual father. For I became your father in Christ Jesus when I preached the Good News to you.

In CE and many other churches, we do not worship our pastors, we simply love them as our fathers in the Lord, Pastor Chris taught me the word, I follow him as he follows Christ. Shikena

[s]Chris Oyakhilome is effectively the prophet and god of the Christ Embassy cult. His members consider him infallible and the anointed one, their Christ. I am told by an old member of nl that Joagbaje, a leading CE member on nl, used to refer to Chris Oyakhilome as "Pastor Christ", instead of Pastor Chris, as he fondly called by his followers. This example, and many others like it, point to the cultism that CEC church has become. [/s]

Truck load of baloney. You now subscirbe to old wives tales? undecided grin

2. Sin in the Congregation.

A leading Christ Embassy follower on this forum, mbaemeka, once commented that a brother once left CEC bc he was tired of the immorality going on in their midst. He says that the brother eventually "fell" into a worse sin where he went to. The point he was trying to make was that sin is of men's heart and not environment. The point he passed across unknowingly was that sexual immorality was the order of the day in the cult of Chris Oyakhilome.

See how silly you sound? let me throw an igbo adage to you. "No be every body wey go market go there to buy something". If a particular folk(s) indulge in a particular sinful act, does it mean the whole is/are? If I join another church and succeeded in seducing like 5 girls to my bed, does it now mean that church has sexual immorality as the order of the day?

Ever heard of the mixed multitude? Go study your bible, your problem is that you claim to know but know not. The mixed multitude were the ones who caused problems in the old church, and that was why God has always kept the Isrealites from other folks, who only come in to introduce one form of pollution to another.

But this is why we pray for the church of God, for the brethren and their faith, that they maybe be able to stand the wiles of the devil, to be strengthened with might by God's Spirit in their inner man. If you noticed a wrong or ill in a church, you get on your kneels and intercede, not write a myopic conclusion.

There is no greater proof of this than the widely reported divorce case BTW Chris and his wife, Anita. Anita had stated in her appeal for divorce in a British court that her husband was known to have "inappropriate relations" with ladies in church. Those in the know refer this to the endless line of lady pastor that live in the "White House", Oyakhilome residence, in Lagos. Chris has live apart from his wife since 1999 when she left to start the UK Branch of their church. Pastor Chris might require us to believe he has been celibate since then.

grin grin grin
Ehen, how far the divorce case na? Remember all your postulations and courts and bla bla bla? You out rightly accused him of adultery based on media reports and blogs. Do you know how terrible the damage you did to yourself is? You've never been to the "White House", you don't kow how many gates are there, not how many buildings, nor how many quarters for foreign delagates, etc. You, simply as any blogger who'd want to drive traffic, lied. 1999?... shocked shocked
quit been high on gossips and hear says na! And what is wrong in celibacy? Catholic priests are (Most of them), why can't Pastor Chris? You should not assume your libido is same as all other males. grin

A study of Walter Martins work on cults reveals that the leader is usually a sex maniac. Who has unreserved access to ladies in church. They normally have failed marriages.

*falls of chair...laughing

Sexual immorality is the order of the day among CEC members. They revel in it. My investigations reveal that married people are even known to date other people's wives and husbands in church.

You should have an Oscar award for lying. grin grin
[img]http://i./O5NyCibf93upy.gif[/img]

3. Fake Miracles:

Like the Christian Science cult, the CEC is also known for its fake miracles. Thanks to the painstaking work of our own SirJohn here on nairaland, Chris Oyakhilome is now known as a fake miracle worker, with his healing school, a place where the sick and the gullible are reaped off of their resources without getting healed. The story of Kenya28 help seal the fake miracles story of CEC and the more recently discovered case of a man whom Joagbaje claimed to heal of HIV but who was never healed.

You're really going down by the day. I will keep praying for you.

1 Like

Re: The Christ Embassy Church Is A Cult by Gombs(m): 3:10pm On Apr 05, 2015
WinsomeX:
OTHERS

Other proof of the cultic nature of CEC is their violence and hate. There have been numerous occasions in which people have tried to investigate the church and have ended being beaten black and blue. A lady who supplied screen to their recently concluded ministers conference was beaten because she demanded to be paid for her services.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaahahahahahahahaha grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

You should change your name to Linus.

As for hate , readers can just sit back and see the response of Christ Embassy members to this thread. How they very easily dodge issues and aim diatribes at the critic's personality or personal lives. When this is not sufficient, they then begin to rain down curses or resort to cheap spiritual blackmail.

Haba Drummaboy aka WinsomeX

you called an entire body of Christ (RCCG) brood of vipers, just because you don't share same ideas.
https://www.nairaland.com/1939255/bankruptcy-prosperity-gospel-exercise-biblical/7#27281244

You condemned someone to Hell, just because you don't agree with him.. is that not enough hate? Someone had to ask you to calm down, another said your bible discussions had turned you to something else.

You, ---, occupy the latter in all these statements. You are not a Christian, you are a liar. You are not hearing the Holy Spirit, you are hearing demons. Your eternal destination is not heaven but hell. You are a son of perdition. Those who listen to you do so at great peril to their souls.

should I go on? Seems you're confused in totality?

CEC members all talk like Pastor Chris; they dress like him; they copy his gesticulations and style. They seek to be like Chris Oyakhilome and not Christ.

cool lies
[img]http://i./ystGrJ3SmiTQY.gif[/img]

I understand that CEC members read mostly Oyakhilome publications. If they would read anything else, it must be from the error of other Word of Faith preachers.

why not? I should read James Randi shey? I am actually reading the "Power of Seed" (something like that) by Oral Roberts. wink

Members marry only members.

Not true. However, it is advisable to marry from within, to avoid clash of doctrines. For example, a lady in Winners marrying a catholic, she may be stopped from cell meetings, tithing, givings in church etc. Which church would advice against marrying from within? or encourage going outside?

There is a perversive demand for money in the church, to the extent that member "sow" all their possessions and money to church. It is not uncommon to find members begging people for money to give for offering. Recently, the church began demanding money for New Year morning services. Stories of people defrauding their companies to give to church abound in the dailies. The atrocities are endless.

See lies na! undecided
[img]http://i./qHjbXtxNawWR2.gif[/img]

The biggest proof of the cult of CEC is the freedom they deny their members. Members cannot critique Oyakhilome. If you do, the threat of a curse is issued. There is a bondage to fit the "successful mold" - the impression that you have made it, so members have no qualms selling all they have so as to give to the endless demand for "pledges".

[img]http://i./2Faz3G7W7xvzKv3pu.gif[/img]

Meeehn!

Conclusion.

It was difficult for me to conclude that CEC is a cult but having read Walter Martins, I couldn't help but do so. Christ Embassy members claim to win souls for Christ but the truth is that they are making these people twice the son of hell that they really are. This is a desperate call to our youths in this church to leave it and find some other bible church to go to.

I will stop here for now.

[img]http://i./kUmRzl0lGEKgE.gif[/img]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Collins: My Visit To Ayo Babalola Prayer Mountain At Ikeji Arakeji (Photos) / Coronavirus: List Of Items Donated By Oyedepo Of Winners Chapel To Ogun & Lagos / What Does The Bible Say About Masturbation?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 232
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.