Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,702 members, 7,805,888 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:00 AM

2011: North Begins Search For Yar’adua’s Successor, Tips Umar - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2011: North Begins Search For Yar’adua’s Successor, Tips Umar (1695 Views)

Troops Begins Search For Tompolo, Storm Militants’ Den / South-East PDP Begins Search For Metuh's Replacement / Soludo: Decision Time For Yar’adua (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

2011: North Begins Search For Yar’adua’s Successor, Tips Umar by Godmann(m): 8:30am On Jan 25, 2009
A build-up to the 2011 elections has begun in the North with some influential political figures in the North-West indicating early interest in who replaces President Umaru Yar‘Adua.

The Arewa elite still believe that Yar‘Adua is not their candidate for the country‘s topmost political job, which former President Olusegun Obasanjo foisted on them.

A former executive member of the Arewa Consultative Forum told Sunday Punch in Abuja that a high level political network which included traditional rulers and former military president, Gen. Ibrahim Babangida had been set up.

The group, whose activities remain covert for now, is said to be looking in the direction of Col. Abubakar Umar, a former military governor of Kaduna State , because of national appeal.

A known critic of Obasanjo‘s eight years administration and staunch supporter of the June 12 presidential election of 1993 cause, which Babangida annulled, Umar had to resign his commission in the Nigerian Army in protest of the annulment.

However, Yar‘Adua has not said anything regarding a second term ambition, but some members of the Peoples Democratic Party are worried about his performance 16 months since he came to office, and the state of his health; and how these would impact on the party in 2011 polls.

It is for this reason that Obasanjo reportedly held a surprise consultative and reconciliatory meeting with his estranged deputy, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, where they reportedly deplored the state of affairs in the country after the left office in May 2007.

He was reported to have said, ”We as former public office holders have a responsibility to come together and help our country, especially when things are not going the way we want. We have to sit down as stakeholders to review the situation.”

Obasanjo allegedly admitted making a mistake in supporting Yar‘Adua for the Presidency in 2007, adding that he would not repeat same in 2011.

Atiku, on many occasions said he would contest the 2011 presidential election; and many observers believed that his rapprochement with Obasanjo was preparatory to his return to the party which he hoped to use to actualise his ambition.

The Arewa source said, ”They want someone who can easily cross the North-South divide and they firmly believe that with someone like the former military governor of Kaduna State , Colonel Abubakar Dangiwa Umar, a lot of impact can be made across the country.

”It is believed that Umar remains one of the most acceptable northerners in the South and even though he is a prince of Gwandu Emirate, the support of northern traditional rulers, retired bureaucrats and other elite may be leveraged to get him the appropriate quantum of support in the North.”

According to the source, the group is spreading its tentacles to the oil-rich South-South zone and has co-opted a former governor who is likely to become a running mate.

Two days after the Obasanjo and Atiku parley, the PDP National Working Committee met in Abuja but no statement was issued on the outcome of the meeting.

But the Action Congress, the party that Atiku flew its flag in 2007 poll met in Abuja on Thursday and denounced his parley with Obasanjo; saying, his step was a “political misadventure.”

Investigations show that opinions are sharply divided among members of the PDP NWC on the possible return of Atiku to its fold.

Asked for his comments on these developments, the PDP National Publicity Secretary, Prof. Rufai Alkali declined.

Similarly, the party‘s National Vice-Chairman, North-West, Dr. Danladi Sankara, refused to speak on the party‘s disposition towards Atiku.

In a telephone interview with our correspondent, the North-East National Vice Chairman Chief Paul Wampana, said, “I am not the person to speak on behalf of PDP. You have to go and speak with Prof. Alkali,” he stated on telephone.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200901252342878
Re: 2011: North Begins Search For Yar’adua’s Successor, Tips Umar by Godmann(m): 8:53am On Jan 25, 2009
Sorry guys I posted this because I believe it will be good to give this man a trial. I believe he has the qualities to lead Nigeria out of the present mess. I will pick him ahead of any Northerner, if not the whole country, as the man that have proved that he has what it takes to take Nigeria out our mess.

I also believe that if we are serious people, we should be able to organise ourselves from bottom up (meaning from the weakest, the youngest, the poorest ), pick out whoever among Nigerians that can lead, and lay down our lives to make him the president.

Do we in these forum believe in this man? If we do, can we take up the task of starting the journey to 2011? If we do not can we think of some one else?

The earlier we set out to work and stop complaining, the better for us.

Americans did theirs by contributing as little as $20 to Obama campaign. We can achieve ours by contributing as little as 100 naira to any man's account. I am not asking for any contribution. I am asking for an agreement first. I am asking for mobilisation - by talking to our friends, believing that we can do it. I am asking for an open letter to Umar to declare his intention to contest. If we can get to his declaration of intention and a possible publication of an agenda, then we can take up the race from there. Remember as a Northerner, he will sooth the political reality of zoning in Nigeria. All we want is a compromise. Where all Nigerians - North, South, East and West will come together.

To me this will be a beautiful opportunity to teach the old lords a lesson.

I am an Igbo man that has never had any contact with Umar, but has always been trilled by his political opinion and actions starting from the Abiola crisis.

If we agree, we can do it. Nigeria youths can determine who will rule us. No body can stop us. All we need is to agree.
Re: 2011: North Begins Search For Yar’adua’s Successor, Tips Umar by Nobody: 10:57am On Jan 25, 2009
Poster

Trial u said, then so be it. But if it is to give this Umar a try, hell no.
Re: 2011: North Begins Search For Yar’adua’s Successor, Tips Umar by Godmann(m): 11:59am On Jan 25, 2009
Xavier.:

Poster

Trial u said, then so be it. But if it is to give this Umar a try, hell no.

Let's share our reasons.

Why do you say No?
Re: 2011: North Begins Search For Yar’adua’s Successor, Tips Umar by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jan 25, 2009
Godman_n:

Let's share our reasons.

Why do you say No?

It will be nice to know why you believe in him

what are his political ideologies

what is his economic ideology

what are he achievements (please dont tell me he protested or criticised other leaders)

who is he and what does he stand for.

does he even want to run? why can't we stop drafting people to the Presidency. IBB drafted OBJ (people say he failed) OBJ drafted Shagari (he failed) OBJ drafted Yar'adua (he is crashing faster than Naira and the stock market). and yet we refuse to learn from history.

Can we stop drafting people? If the Presidency has been zoned to the North West, let all who believe they have the qualities in the North West run and let the Nigerian people choose.

For Arewa to choose for the rest of us and intimidate others in there region as unacceptable is not democracy.

I think Arewa, Odua, Ohaneze, Niger-Delta tribal leaders should concentrate on grass root development.

Nigeria is a complicated country and organisations with tribal and religous affiliations should stear clear of choosing Presidents.
Re: 2011: North Begins Search For Yar’adua’s Successor, Tips Umar by KnowAll(m): 6:22pm On Jan 25, 2009
Umar and Duke will be a good combination, we will wait and see
Re: 2011: North Begins Search For Yar’adua’s Successor, Tips Umar by princekevo(m): 7:11pm On Jan 25, 2009
Obasanjo allegedly admitted making a mistake in supporting Yar‘Adua for the Presidency in 2007, adding that he would not repeat same in 2011.

Sorry that country Nigeria, When one man has to decide who will lead more than 150million population,

Godman_n:

Let's share our reasons.

Why do you say No?

My guy u still ask why? Are we not tire of this millitary removing their uniform coming back as civilians?

does he even want to run? why can't we stop drafting people to the Presidency. IBB drafted OBJ (people say he failed) OBJ drafted Shagari (he failed) OBJ drafted Yar'adua (he is crashing faster than Naira and the stock market). and yet we refuse to learn from history.

I tire for Nigeriaoooo, He is even siting Obama as an example as if any of the religious or tribal group in America drafted Obama out as a president,
Are we not tired of few people jst sitting down some where determining who will lead us? As u said Let who ever believe he/she has the qualities run for the presidency and let the Nigerian people choose.
Re: 2011: North Begins Search For Yar’adua’s Successor, Tips Umar by DisGuy: 7:16pm On Jan 25, 2009
who is umar abubakar?

not like nigerians will react anyway, we will 'just bear it ' grin
Re: 2011: North Begins Search For Yar’adua’s Successor, Tips Umar by oderemo(m): 7:17pm On Jan 25, 2009
yet we refuse to learn from history.[quote][/quote][list]

that is the only thing we dont learn from. HIS     STORY.
Re: 2011: North Begins Search For Yar’adua’s Successor, Tips Umar by SisiJinx: 7:26pm On Jan 25, 2009
Abubakar Dangiwa Umar is a brilliant, brilliant man and should definitely be at the top of any presidential hopeful list. Before you dismiss him as just another Northerner, please read about him and his party MUP.

I agree with this

The Arewa source said, ”They want someone who can easily cross the North-South divide and they firmly believe that with someone like the former military governor of Kaduna State , Colonel Abubakar Dangiwa Umar, a lot of impact can be made across the country.
Re: 2011: North Begins Search For Yar’adua’s Successor, Tips Umar by SkyBlue1: 8:07pm On Jan 25, 2009
@Goodman_n i assume you know a lot about this man for you to take such a stance, so i am quite interested to know what it is about him that makes you think he would be a good president. I have done basic research and have gathered that the person in question is a former military Govenor of Kaduna state and a 'public commentator'. He and his party where staunch speakers against OBJ's third term agenda and were even blocked out of a rally that was prebooked by them in Abuja to tell the world press about OBJ's ambition. All of this is just plain information that is missing what could be seen as greater insight into the person in question. From reading some of his commentaries i like the way he has objectively analysed issues in the past in seeming sincerity and not just jumping on band wagons, however what was achieved in Kaduna when he was it's leader? All of this though is meaningless without a desire by the person we speak of to actually run for presidency.

This is just one name out of many possible alternatives. I think it would be in the best interest of Nigeria if the issue of the next elections are discussed now. I say this because it will give more ample time for candidates who are interested to start making themselves known so that we can begin to see other alternatives as opposed to having to select from a small pool of people. The additional time such an early start will buy will mean candidates have more time to speak on the issues and try convince the people as to why their votes are deserved and will also mean more time to sensitise the people to the importance of such an issue and why it is vital to the nation's progress. Additional time will also mean more time for people to get behind candidates of their preference; more time for a solid push on electoral reforms to be addressed and could also serve as a defining condemnation of this current administration's performance as well as show that the people mean business. How will such early campainging and discussion of next elections be instigated? Use of the media, word of mouth, contacts, articles, etc.

The time to act isn't three months to election when the results have already been pre determined and we are told printers in South Africa broke down or whatever other silly reason is needed to once again steal the mandate of the people. This shouldn't just be applied to the presidency, it should be applied to govenors also.
Re: 2011: North Begins Search For Yar’adua’s Successor, Tips Umar by Becomrrich: 8:14pm On Jan 25, 2009
God would never allow Umar to be president of Nigeria. He is a tribalist.
Re: 2011: North Begins Search For Yar’adua’s Successor, Tips Umar by bindex(m): 8:24pm On Jan 25, 2009
mikeansy:

Nigeria is a complicated country and organisations with tribal and religous affiliations should stear clear of choosing Presidents.

Well said.
Re: 2011: North Begins Search For Yar’adua’s Successor, Tips Umar by bawomolo(m): 8:35pm On Jan 25, 2009
Abubakar Dangiwa Umar is a brilliant, brilliant man and should definitely be at the top of any presidential hopeful list. Before you dismiss him as just another Northerner, please read about him and his party MUP.

the fact only the NORTH is participating in the search for Yar'adua successor doesn't bode well for the claim this dude can bridge the North-South divide. who says he won't be a puppet of the arewa people's congress? We know nothing of his ideologies so we can only judge him by the old guard of Nigerian Kingmakers that are choosing him. If he is that brilliant, then he would campaign in public rather than waiting to get selected by kingmakers. I'm personally not thrilled by retired millitary men that refuse to leave politics alone. What did he achieve as governor. na brilliance man go chop?
Re: 2011: North Begins Search For Yar’adua’s Successor, Tips Umar by SisiJinx: 9:23pm On Jan 25, 2009
bawomolo:

the fact only the NORTH is participating in the search for Yar'adua successor doesn't bode well for the claim this dude can bridge the North-South divide. who says he won't be a puppet of the arewa people's congress? We know nothing of his ideologies so we can only judge him by the old guard of Nigerian Kingmakers that are choosing him. If he is that brilliant, then he would campaign in public rather than waiting to get selected by kingmakers. I'm personally not thrilled by retired millitary men that refuse to leave politics alone. What did he achieve as governor. na brilliance man go chop?

Bawo, I don't think he is waiting for any one. . . kingmaker and all to campaign for him. I think his name is just being thrown out there and I sincerely believe if he does choose to run, he won't need anyone, least of all Arewa to buy his way for him.

I'll say it again, before anyone dismisses him because he is a northerner, read more about him.

By the way, would it make a difference to you if his supporters were Southerners?
Re: 2011: North Begins Search For Yar’adua’s Successor, Tips Umar by Godmann(m): 10:29pm On Jan 25, 2009
Sky Blue:

@Goodman_n i assume you know a lot about this man for you to take such a stance, so i am quite interested to know what it is about him that makes you think he would be a good president. I have done basic research and have gathered that the person in question is a former military Governor of Kaduna state and a 'public commentator'. He and his party where staunch speakers against OBJ's third term agenda and were even blocked out of a rally that was prebooked by them in Abuja to tell the world press about OBJ's ambition. All of this is just plain information that is missing what could be seen as greater insight into the person in question. From reading some of his commentaries i like the way he has objectively analysed issues in the past in seeming sincerity and not just jumping on band wagons, however what was achieved in Kaduna when he was it's leader? All of this though is meaningless without a desire by the person we speak of to actually run for presidency.

This is just one name out of many possible alternatives. I think it would be in the best interest of Nigeria if the issue of the next elections are discussed now. I say this because it will give more ample time for candidates who are interested to start making themselves known so that we can begin to see other alternatives as opposed to having to select from a small pool of people. The additional time such an early start will buy will mean candidates have more time to speak on the issues and try convince the people as to why their votes are deserved and will also mean more time to sensitise the people to the importance of such an issue and why it is vital to the nation's progress. Additional time will also mean more time for people to get behind candidates of their preference; more time for a solid push on electoral reforms to be addressed and could also serve as a defining condemnation of this current administration's performance as well as show that the people mean business. How will such early campaigning and discussion of next elections be instigated? Use of the media, word of mouth, contacts, articles, etc.

The time to act isn't three months to election when the results have already been pre determined and we are told printers in South Africa broke down or whatever other silly reason is needed to once again steal the mandate of the people. This shouldn't just be applied to the presidency, it should be applied to governors also.

I appreciate your understanding and suggestion on the way forward. I have to state that while I insist that all Nigerians of goodwill should join hand and pick our next leader; being ready to march to Aso Rock en mass if the need be; I cannot insist on Umar, or even a Northerner. But given the political reality (by this, I mean for the Northerner not to feel any sense of being shortchanged), the next president has to be from North. Doing otherwise will polarize the effort and is bound to fail.

So I will suggest that we can use this forum to nominate our candidates all from the North.

Alternating between my several commitments and keeping my house in order, it will be very difficult for me to do a detailed discussion of what I know about Abubakar Umar.

From the little politicians, public commentators, I know from the North, I hold Dangiwar Umar and Balarabe Musa in high regards. I see the two as being able to rise above their personal needs in search for the societal good. This opinion I built based on several newspaper reading of their comments and interviews which I have been monitoring since early nineties.

Dangiwar Umar in particular came to my notice during the June 12 crises when he had gut in challenging Abacha to instate Abiola as the head of State. His activities were as much as that of the NADECO guys. He resigned in the military because of this, despite being a core Babangida boy. He was the youngest of Officer among the coup plotters that brought back the military.

From the several interviews granted by him and other actors of the events around 1993, I understand he played a key role in advising/pressurizing IBB to step aside after the annulment of June 12 election.

Though one of the coup plotters he understood the military then has failed Nigerians and did all within his power to push towards civilian rule. He was most importantly driven by bare principle in all his army days. Abacha tried lobbying him with oil block which he refused. It was based on this very account that I came to understand how our President use oil block to bribe people that stand against then.

During the Obasanjo era, he also continued an informed criticism of the Obasanjo government and as important also is his criticism of the attempted imposition of sharia law in some Northern states. In all this, his criticism has been well informed.

Umar was also a former Governor of Kaduna State who gave a good account of himself. He left Kaduna as one of the best performing military administrator. Most importantly, he left Kaduna without being dented in any iota of corruption. All I know of his asset is his farm in Kaduna. How many of past military governors can be said to be as poor as him. But in this case we are not talking of an ordinary governor. We are talking of one that had unhindered access to the power. We know how much the like of David Mark who is not in anyway within the inner circle of Buhari/IBB government is worth.

My main points for suggesting him are therefore based on the following.

He seems to be principled.
He seems to be above tribal politics.
He seems to be above board with regards to corruption.
He performed creditable in Kaduna State as their Governor.

However a big minus is that he is a military man and one of the plotters of the coup that brought back the military.

But I also understand that we are only saying this based on the benefits of hind sight. As a kid growing up in the 1980s I can remember vividly the happiness among the masses on 31st December 1983, when the military took over. The government of Shari has clearly lost focus then. It is also true that the military left us worse than they met us, but this cannot deny the good intention of some of the plotters of the coup.

As happens in all human cases, in every progressive push, will always lie some deceitful, scheming reactionary elements; who are in most cases, very good in hijacking the good intention of the push; for their selfish intents. The events of 1983, was a pure progressive intent, albeit driven by inexperienced individuals which ended up in the hands of scheming IBB. The intentions of all the plotters of 1983 coup should as such not be assumed to be bad.

Becomrrich:

God would never allow Umar to be president of Nigeria. He is a tribalist.

Can you please elaborate. Any past instance? Who in the North will be your ideal President for Nigeria?

I also do not believe that Arewa Forum should have any business imposing a president on Nigeria. But if they come up with a good material, so be it. The interest is what is important. If even IBB as corrupt as he is, can impose a worthy President in Nigeria, let it be.

The North that imposed Obasanjo in Nigeria still regrets that imposition.

Let be driven more by the qualities and antecedents of whoever emerges. Most important let ensure that activities of the stolen billions are neutralised. We cannot only do this by mobilising ourselves. If not, as Sky Blue said, they will always bulldoze within three months interval to impose whoever that can fill their purse and protect their loot.

Now is the time to begin.
Re: 2011: North Begins Search For Yar’adua’s Successor, Tips Umar by bawomolo(m): 10:44pm On Jan 25, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

Bawo, I don't think he is waiting for any one. . . kingmaker and all to campaign for him. I think his name is just being thrown out there and I sincerely believe if he does choose to run, he won't need anyone, least of all Arewa to buy his way for him.

I understand what you saying but isn't this the way campaigns start.  Did anyone know Yar'adua before his name was brought up by his party

I'll say it again, before anyone dismisses him because he is a northerner, read more about him.

By the way, would it make a difference to you if his supporters were Southerners?

I agree we all need to know more about his but this is a bad start if Northerners are having separate discussions on who they want for president.  It doesn't make a  difference to me if his supporters were Southerners.  I want a politician that appeals to everyone and not one bloc.
Re: 2011: North Begins Search For Yar’adua’s Successor, Tips Umar by bawomolo(m): 10:47pm On Jan 25, 2009
He performed creditable in Kaduna State as their Governor.

and what are the creditable things he did while as administrator of kaduna?
Re: 2011: North Begins Search For Yar’adua’s Successor, Tips Umar by Nobody: 10:52pm On Jan 25, 2009
Whenever he chooses to run let him hold a televised Press conference and tell us what he'd do different from Yar'adua on the issues

From the economy, to education, to energy, to National Security. He must take questions from the Press lets see how much he knows

Yar'adua was not vetted that is why he is failing.

Yar'adua became President without a single Press conference, debate or Presidential address. Except the one he read at PDP convention.

Let's see Dangiwa Umar, Our next President must be Digital compliant even though he is from Sakwato (Sokoto).

We need a 21st century President pleaseeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bawomolo:

That is the exact nonsense we heard about Yar'adua. He saved 6Billion heeeeyyyyyy!!! He is qualified to be President. He loves the talakawas blablabla
Yar'adua never came out to defend any of these. And what is the result? (you just need to think of Nigeria the last 18 months to know the answer).

The Presidency is no place to be trying out fools.

Re: 2011: North Begins Search For Yar’adua’s Successor, Tips Umar by SkyBlue1: 11:12pm On Jan 25, 2009
@Godman_n last time i checked this whole issue of power sharing among the three "regions" is not in the constitution and is symbolic of one of the reasons why progress seems unnattainable. In Nigeria the arrogance between the three major ethnic group whereby power sharing is seen as between such groups has always been extremely distasteful and arrogant to say the least. Basing the democracy of the country on a lottery selection limited to one region as a means of "pacifying" the country is something that the PDP have made their agenda. The country is bigger than the PDP and anyone. That is why I think it quite disheartening that from the get go you are choosing to place such a weak block in the foundation of the very essence of the country's democracy though i understand where you're coming from. Last elections people from all sides contested for the presidency, or is Pat Utomi a Northerner? It should be open to all to contest and it would be up to the candidates to try and prove to the people why they should be voted for. You could claim i am being naive but i really don;t think the desire for development is limited to any ethnic group.

The reason why such a big deal has been made of such in the past is simply because of the shallowness that continues to characterise the Nigerian democracy. Campaigning never goes beyond each candidate pointing out where the other isn't from and hence not meeting the non existent and non constitutional "requirement". Campaigning rarely goes beyond such folly to actually enter into debates on the issues, strategy to developments and idealogies that a candidate may have and hence never allows the people see and focus on the issues that should matter. Istead of addmitting defeat and making such a compromise that will further drive the cyclye of not getting the best man for the job in order to fill some quota or "pacify" a region, why don't we just see it as meaning there is more work to be done on the ground; more work to be done in terms of reaching out to people and trying to make the issues of next elections be development and discussion on the issues? Good foundations are important and the more we continue to go for second best in order to "pacify", the more we continue to fal in our bid to truelly reach our potential as a nation. We can't shout "one nigeria" and continue along the road whereby some groups remain second class citizens in their own country.

Let each man stand on his own credibility and each bottle on its own top. The next elections should be brought to the nation's attention and psyche now.
Re: 2011: North Begins Search For Yar’adua’s Successor, Tips Umar by Godmann(m): 11:12pm On Jan 25, 2009
mikeansy:

Whenever he chooses to run let him hold a televised Press conference and tell us what he'd do different from Yar'adua on the issues

From the economy, to education, to energy, to National Security. He must take questions from the Press lets see how much he knows

Yar'adua was not vetted that is why he is failing.

Yar'adua became President without a single Press conference, debate or Presidential address. Except the one he read at PDP convention.

Let's see Dangiwa Umar, Our next President must be Digital compliant even though he is from Sakwato (Sokoto).

We need a 21st century President pleaseeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bawomolo:

Typical Nigerians. How/when will we get to the promised land?

I challenge you guys to name your candidates. Name them and stand up and work for them.

We cannot sit in our houses and expect a 21st century President. What in Nigeria has measured up to 19th century, let alone 21st century. Our farmers still farm with crude implements; our farms are still in the 18th century. When did Europe even countries like India, Zimbabwe drop their hoes in favour of tractors? Yet we are talking of 21st Century.

Our problem is that even the basic foundation is lacking. Will a house without a foundation ever get to the tops? The only sure way is to start from the root. It can only be fast tracked but will never bu jumped.

I am not just talking about our politics. Every sphere of our national life. We cannot go to the space without manufacturing simple machines. No can we run a successful economy without first being able to feed our people.

It is as simple as this.

Also very important, we can never have a good president unless when we are ready to go out there and work for it. There is no free meal. No free good government. You earn it. We should stand and earn our good government.
Re: 2011: North Begins Search For Yar’adua’s Successor, Tips Umar by Godmann(m): 11:18pm On Jan 25, 2009
Sky Blue:

@Godman_n last time i checked this whole issue of power sharing among the three "regions" is not in the constitution and is symbolic of one of the reasons why progress seems unnattainable. In Nigeria the arrogance between the three major ethnic group whereby power sharing is seen as between such groups has always been extremely distasteful and arrogant to say the least. Basing the democracy of the country on a lottery selection limited to one region as a means of "pacifying" the country is something that the PDP have made their agenda. The country is bigger than the PDP and anyone. That is why I think it quite disheartening that from the get go you are choosing to place such a weak block in the foundation of the very essence of the country's democracy though i understand where you're coming from. Last elections people from all sides contested for the presidency, or is Pat Utomi a Northerner? It should be open to all to contest and it would be up to the candidates to try and prove to the people why they should be voted for. You could claim i am being naive but i really don;t think the desire for development is limited to any ethnic group.

The reason why such a big deal has been made of such in the past is simply because of the shallowness that continues to characterise the Nigerian democracy. Campaigning never goes beyond each candidate pointing out where the other isn't from and hence not meeting the non existent and non constitutional "requirement". Campaigning rarely goes beyond such folly to actually enter into debates on the issues, strategy to developments and idealogies that a candidate may have and hence never allows the people see and focus on the issues that should matter. Instead of admitting defeat and making such a compromise that will further drive the cycle of not getting the best man for the job in order to fill some quota or "pacify" a region, why don't we just see it as meaning there is more work to be done on the ground; more work to be done in terms of reaching out to people and trying to make the issues of next elections be development and discussion on the issues? Good foundations are important and the more we continue to go for second best in order to "pacify", the more we continue to fail in our bid to truly reach our potential as a nation. We can't shout "one Nigeria" and continue along the road whereby some groups remain second class citizens in their own country.

I agree completely with what you have said. I just think that the tribal sentiments is very strong in majority of Nigerians. Since democracy is the will of the majority, the best is to find a way of negotiating ones interest in through the majority of the people.

Whenever we get used to good governments, the tribal sentiments will die down
Re: 2011: North Begins Search For Yar’adua’s Successor, Tips Umar by SkyBlue1: 11:31pm On Jan 25, 2009
Godman_n:

I agree completely with what you have said. I just think that the tribal sentiments is very strong in majority of Nigerians. Since democracy is the will of the majority, the best is to find a way of negotiating ones interest in through the majority of the people.

Whenever we get used to good governments, the tribal sentiments will die down

Funny enough i do believe such an outlook in the way things are run in Nigeria is down to the older generation. The issue of 'which ethnic group is running what' instead of 'what is the person running so and so doing' is something that i have seen in the older generation that perhaps were more exposed to such an outlook with the war and the coups and all of that. I don't have statistics to throw at you but am saying so based on experiences and the fact that hardly if any of my friends have such an outward view or disposition of such whereby it becomes the driving force behind everything. Again i don't think the desire for development is limited to only a few ethnic groups. The issue of "where is he/she from" and using such as a criteria for choosing leaders will most likely be prevalent if that is what is made the main issue during elections as opposed to what is going to be done to bring development and change. I bring this up because i think it is an area that can be focused on in terms of action in the way of re-orientating the citizenship in the various way that such can be done (media, programes, public speaking, etc).
Re: 2011: North Begins Search For Yar’adua’s Successor, Tips Umar by Nobody: 12:39am On Jan 26, 2009
Godman_n:

I challenge you guys to name your candidates. Name them and stand up and work for them.

We cannot sit in our houses and expect a 21st century President. What in Nigeria has measured up to 19th century, let alone 21st century. Our farmers still farm with crude implements; our farms are still in the 18th century. When did Europe even countries like India, Zimbabwe drop their hoes in favour of tractors? Yet we are talking of 21st Century.

Our problem is that even the basic foundation is lacking. Will a house without a foundation ever get to the tops? The only sure way is to start from the root. It can only be fast tracked but will never bu jumped.

I am not just talking about our politics. Every sphere of our national life. We cannot go to the space without manufacturing simple machines. No can we run a successful economy without first being able to feed our people.

It is as simple as this.

Also very important, we can never have a good president unless when we are ready to go out there and work for it. There is no free meal. No free good government. You earn it. We should stand and earn our good government.

Those are realities but certainly examplify why we are who we are

We refuse to hope and dream big or ask for something better. We must settle for less because nothing about us is developed.
But this is why we refuse to match into 21st century.

There are northerners who know the current trend on most things. Certainly not Yar'adua and not Dangiwa Umar. If power must remain in the North, lets have civilised leaders.

You know why we fail where Ghana succeeds?

Atta Mills is a University Professor
John Kuffor is an oxford educated Economist
The National security cordinator has a PhD, is a retired soldier, and a UN diplomat.

In Ghana's last election they had a Presidential debate

While in so called giant of Africa, Yar'adua ducked Presidential debate
He is a lack lustre chemistry teacher as unreactive as mecury

If you are telling me that the whole North does not have any civilised 21st century leader, who appreciates the current world treand and where we need to head to, well go ahead and say it.

But to tell me it is a crime to hope and wish for something better is just ridiculous.
Re: 2011: North Begins Search For Yar’adua’s Successor, Tips Umar by bawomolo(m): 3:31am On Jan 26, 2009
Godman_n:

It is as simple as this.

no need for Rhetoric. all i did was ask a simple questions. What did he achieve as administrator of Kaduna?
Re: 2011: North Begins Search For Yar’adua’s Successor, Tips Umar by Nobody: 5:40am On Jan 26, 2009
Skyblue

I dont know what part of Nigeria you come from but dont let anyone fool you. Rotational Presidency is a silly necessity. It is our own version of electoral college vote that operate in US. These things are designed into the process for a reason.

To suggest that rotational Presidency should not matter at this stage is to be aloof to the realities on the ground. To win an election on the issues require an educated electorate.

The last census results presented to the NASS by Yar'adua has Kano as most populated over Lagos. Those are shenanigans aimed at skewing electorate votes in various directions. The only way our democratic experiment can work is to continue the rotational Presidency untill the electorate is educated enough to know that we are one regardless of tribe or religion.

The reason Nigeria did not descend into anarchy in 2007 is because nobody in the North could seriously attack anyone in the South because Atiku and Buhari lost election to Yar'adua. Whether rigging or not.

Hence rotational presidency is a 'silly necessity'

Power is in the North for now, next is the turn of either South-South or South-East.
Re: 2011: North Begins Search For Yar’adua’s Successor, Tips Umar by Godmann(m): 9:11am On Jan 26, 2009
mikeansy:

Those are realities but certainly examplify why we are who we are

We refuse to hope and dream big or ask for something better. We must settle for less because nothing about us is developed.
But this is why we refuse to match into 21st century.

There are northerners who know the current trend on most things. Certainly not Yar'adua and not Dangiwa Umar. If power must remain in the North, lets have civilised leaders.

You know why we fail where Ghana succeeds?

Atta Mills is a University Professor
John Kuffor is an oxford educated Economist
The National security cordinator has a PhD, is a retired soldier, and a UN diplomat.

In Ghana's last election they had a Presidential debate

While in so called giant of Africa, Yar'adua ducked Presidential debate
He is a lack lustre chemistry teacher as unreactive as mecury

If you are telling me that the whole North does not have any civilised 21st century leader, who appreciates the current world trend and where we need to head to, well go ahead and say it.

But to tell me it is a crime to hope and wish for something better is just ridiculous.

It is good to have a 21st century President as you said. It will be better to be futuristic and have a 22nd century President if it is possible.

Dreams are good. All good invention and progress comes from serious dreamers. But the success of every dream starts from strong foundation. Strong thought through implementation design. It is based on piecemeal good work each built on top of the other. It does not come down from heaven. Things hardly works when built from in top down mentality. It is easier to build from Bottom up.

Ghana had a clean out since 1979 or so, lead by Jerry Rawlings. He laid the foundation of the present Ghana. Ghana did not have the corrupting influence of an IBB. I know Nigeria is more organised in the early 1980 and less corrupt than it is today. The important question is how do we take off? What is the surest way of starting the journey to the 21st Century President?

My whole essence of this thread is to stimulate a discussion - a positive discussion. Have we been at it? The answer is NO. If the responses here have gone ahead to suggest better candidates and ways to get to it, that would have been beautiful.

As open question to all is: who can we prompt, push if need be to lead this struggle? It is a struggle. If you can understand the enormity of what is involved. There a million of interests, some within and outside Nigeria that will resist a change. These interests are ingrained in world system.

There have been individuals in the past with honest intention for change that failed. They did not fail because they choose to. They failed because it is difficult.

So for a less controversial start; it is needful because we can only move ahead based on compromise. Agreed we need a 21st President. I assume also you want one. So who can lead the struggle? I mean, let us start naming candidates. People we can suggest based on their antecedents.

What can you suggest as our duties to the struggle? How can I and you start off here, without sitting in our comfortable house and making claims?
Re: 2011: North Begins Search For Yar’adua’s Successor, Tips Umar by Marymos: 10:12am On Jan 27, 2009
northerners should take their time and select a credible candidate for 2011 election.i hope they will not produce another president yaaradua?when their time is up,the yorubas will take over.i don't know when my ibo brothers will be given the chance to rule this country.although they did not prove themselves when the position of senate president was zoned to them by the ruling political party.
Re: 2011: North Begins Search For Yar’adua’s Successor, Tips Umar by thetruth90: 10:37am On Jan 27, 2009
Marymos:

northerners should take their time and select a credible candidate for 2011 election.i hope they will not produce another president yaaradua?when their time is up,the yorubas will take over.[b]i don't know when my ibo brothers will be given the chance to rule this country.[/b]although they did not prove themselves when the position of senate president was zoned to them by the ruling political party.

it is better nigeria has no president than allow an ibo man to be president. they are too full of guile.
Re: 2011: North Begins Search For Yar’adua’s Successor, Tips Umar by meexteriox(m): 11:03am On Jan 27, 2009
I'm getting dizzy with anger at the kind of issues raised on NL this days.

@poster
What do you mean ''North begins search for Yar'Adua successor''?
You mean a group of evil swindlers, with no intention or plan for a
better Nigeria, now has the mandate of us all to select among themselves
who to lead us?

Can't we ever learn? Infact why must it be a northerner to rule us again?
Why can't it be any competent Nigerian, who can lead us out of this dungeon
called Nigeria?
Someone with vision, feasible plan, determination and integrity. Please, don't start
with, does such exist? Because they do. We see them everyday. A group like Arewa
should not be the mouthpiece of the people, never.
Re: 2011: North Begins Search For Yar’adua’s Successor, Tips Umar by ikeyman00(m): 11:50am On Jan 27, 2009
nl is get morons wellu well ooo

gangster-aboki deciding nigeria's fate like the country is his lipsrsealed
Re: 2011: North Begins Search For Yar’adua’s Successor, Tips Umar by Godmann(m): 4:12pm On Jan 27, 2009
thetruth90:

it is better nigeria has no president than allow an ibo man to be president. they are too full of guile.
Marymos:

northerners should take their time and select a credible candidate for 2011 election.i hope they will not produce another president yaaradua?when their time is up,the yorubas will take over.i don't know when my ibo brothers will be given the chance to rule this country.although they did not prove themselves when the position of senate president was zoned to them by the ruling political party.

I am sick and tired of your types. I need to know your tribe and what you think is special about that tribe. While I am proud of my Igbo-ness, it will be stupid of me to make your type of inflammatory stuff.

Guess you are but little juveniles

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Assu Strike Crisis And Its Effect On Our Economy / Budget Jump For Nigeria @50:yar’adua - N62 Million - Jonathan : N10 Billion / Attention Lagos State Government !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 169
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.