Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,823 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:25 AM

Sorry, But Blame Your Colonial Emperor For Making Lagos A No-mans-land - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sorry, But Blame Your Colonial Emperor For Making Lagos A No-mans-land (1962 Views)

Just Like Lagos Onitsha Is Also No Mans Land / Checkout A Village Court In Uyo In 1949 Where Colonial Officers Preside(pic) / Ejigbo In Lagos: A Town Abandoned By The Government. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sorry, But Blame Your Colonial Emperor For Making Lagos A No-mans-land by Bre(f): 2:19pm On Apr 07, 2015
I see that they do not teach history in some Nigerian schools, or at least relevant history. There are too many people embarrassing themselves with this recent tribalistic trend on nairaland *side eye to the mods*.

Since Lagos was a former capital, many generations of many tribes have all contributed to its status today. There's a couple NL commenters in particular running around, wholly misinformed, telling Igbos to mind themselves, that they should be grateful to be in another man's land and thus keep quiet and take whatever comes their way. Sorry, but no.

You cannot compare Kano to Lagos as Kano was never a capital. Nor can you bring any other city into this baseless argument.

I just dey look you. The Americans predicted that Nigeria will split by 2015, look at you clowns helping them to see the fruitfulness of their evil wishes for us when we are on the cusp of greatness. GROW UP!! angry

4 Likes

Re: Sorry, But Blame Your Colonial Emperor For Making Lagos A No-mans-land by Bre(f): 2:22pm On Apr 07, 2015
Some history for those who skipped that class in school angry

Lagos was settled at various times by hunters and fishermen from the Àwórì sub-nationality. Originally based in Iseri on the Ògùn River about 20 miles from the island, the initial wave of settlers led by Arómiré ("the one that becomes personable at the sight of a

Lagos rests on the Gulf of Guinea. ()
river"wink, established a presence in Ìddó and Èbúté Métta. Arómiré also grew vegetables, especially pepper, on a site where Iga Ìdúngànràn, the palace or official residence of the Oba of Lagos now stands. Iga Ìdúngànràn is an Àwórì term meaning house on pepper farm. The palace is thus not only an important symbol of the historical traditions of Lagos; its name also helps keep alive the site's association with vegetable farming by Arómiré, the city's first settler.
From these bases the Àwórì settlers moved further south, towards the creeks and the sea. One major reason why they moved was because their increasing population created the need for more space. Another was safety and security. Yorùbáland, of which Lagos was a part, had become embroiled in the long-running wars involving ethnic groups, communities, chiefdoms, kingdoms, and other political units of the time. The island settlements faced war from the Ègbás and the Ìjèbús, both Yorùbá-speaking nationalities. The ancient Benin Empire, in present-day Edo State of Nigeria also invaded the island around the year 1600.

There are conflicting accounts of the latter episode. Some have argued that the Binis actually founded the Lagos monarchy or system of rulership, apparently in the image of Benin's. Ashipa, the first Oba of Lagos, was a Yorùbá chief but not a Lagosian. It is known also that between the sixteenth and nineteenth centuries, the Benin Empire extended as far as Porto-Novo, west of Lagos. The Oba of Benin did appoint viceroys or representatives on the island and approved all appointees to the office of Oba of Lagos. In return, Lagos Obas paid tribute to Oba of Benin in recognition of the latter's superior status. Other historians have insisted that the Oba of Benin waged war on the island for the same reasons wars were then prevalent.

One of these was the desire by reigning monarchs to expand control over weaker, less populous peoples or neighboring communities, kingdoms, and empires. Another reason concerned the new trans-Atlantic slave trade. For those who participated in the trade as middlemen, warfare did provide a quick and sure supply of war captives who could then be sold as slaves and shipped to the New World. By an estimate, some 500,000 people may have been sold as indentured slaves and shipped from Lagos to the Americas and the Carribean, in particular Bahia, Cuba, and St. Helena. Anyway, for Arómiré and early settlers of the island, moving further south away from the mainland towards the sea was a mechanism to escape the wars that ravaged Yorùbáland from the seventeenth century. The wars and the disruptions associated with them were to become a justification for imposing British colonial control first on the island and later on what is now Nigeria.

From the mid-nineteenth century, freed Yorùbá slaves started returning to Lagos in waves first from Brazil and then from Sierra Leone. In 1847, Oba Kòsókó of Lagos sent his close friend and adviser Chief Oshòdì Tápà to South America to invite slaves with Yorùbá ancestry to return home. The trip yielded results in 1851 when 130 expatriates arrived in Lagos. By 1861 when Lagos formally became a British colony, the number of returnees had risen to about 3,000. The Brazilian expatriates brought with them skills in masonry, carpentry, and tailoring, a strong Catholic faith, and extensive Portuguese cultural traits.

Sierra Leonean expatriates, or Saros, mainly of Ègbá origins in present-day Abéòkúta in Ògùn State of Nigeria, started returning to Lagos in trickles about 1838. The reigning Oba Kòsókó did very little to make them feel welcome, so it was not until 1852 after Oba Kòsókó had been deposed by the British and replaced by Oba Akíntóyè, that Saros returned to Lagos in large numbers. They numbered about 2,500 by 1861 and were granted land in a district on the island still known as Saro Town.

With their longer association with English missionaries, Sierra Leonean returnees appeared to enjoy higher standards of material comfort than Lagos indigenes. The Saros were devout Protestants and better educated in the formal sense too. These attributes were to stand them in good stead to play a leading role in the cultural life of Lagos; they also helped infuse their fatherland with a love of education. Their efforts were to help create a class of literate indigenes who led the fight for human dignity under British colonial rule and set the stage for the nationalist struggle that led to Nigeria's independence in 1960.

These main groups have since been joined by a more heterogeneous mix of immigrants from far and near. The Vaughan family has American ancestry while the Bickersteth family originated from Porto-Novo in present-day Benin Republic. Lagos is also home to people with Ghanaian ancestry. A much larger number have moved south over the years from other parts of Nigeria—for example, from the Nupe and Benin areas in addition to Yorùbá migrants, especially from Ìjèbú, Ègbá, and Badagry areas.

http://www.city-data.com/world-cities/Lagos-History.html

And also...

Lagos, city and chief port, Lagos state, Nigeria. Until 1975 it was the capital of Lagos state, and until December 1991 it was the federal capital of Nigeria. Ikeja replaced Lagos as the state capital, and Abuja replaced Lagos as the federal capital. Lagos, however, remained the unofficial seat of many government agencies. The city’s population is centred on Lagos Island, in Lagos Lagoon, on the Bight of Benin in the Gulf of Guinea. Lagos is Nigeria’s largest city and one of the largest in sub-Saharan Africa.

By the late 15th century Lagos Island had been settled by Yoruba fishermen and hunters, who called it Oko. The area was dominated by the kingdom of Benin, which called it Eko, from the late 16th century to the mid-19th century. The Portuguese first landed on Lagos Island in 1472; trade developed slowly, however, until the Portuguese were granted a slaving monopoly a century later. The local obas (kings) enjoyed good relations with the Portuguese, who called the island Onim (and, later, Lagos) and who established a flourishing slave trade. British attempts to suppress the slave trade culminated in 1851 in a naval attack on Lagos and the deposition of the oba. The slave trade continued to grow, however, until Lagos came under British control in 1861.

Originally governed as a British crown colony, Lagos was part of the United Kingdom’s West African Settlements from 1866 to 1874, when it became part of the Gold Coast Colony (modern Ghana). In 1886 it again achieved separate status under a British governor, and in 1906 it was amalgamated with the Protectorate of Southern Nigeria. When Southern and Northern Nigeria were amalgamated in 1914, Lagos was made the capital of the Colony and Protectorate of Nigeria. In 1954 most of the hinterland was incorporated into the region of Western Nigeria, while the city itself was designated as federal territory. In 1960 Lagos became the capital of independent Nigeria. Control of its hinterland was returned to the city in 1967 with the creation of Lagos state. After 1975 a new national capital, centrally situated near Abuja, was developed to replace Lagos, which by then suffered from slums, environmental pollution, and traffic congestion.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/327849/Lagos
Re: Sorry, But Blame Your Colonial Emperor For Making Lagos A No-mans-land by steppin: 2:27pm On Apr 07, 2015
They should keep beating the drums of war.
Fuel price was increased and they nearly killed themselves over it.
Imagine what happens when they finally cause a war and they have no access to the oil.

2 Likes

Re: Sorry, But Blame Your Colonial Emperor For Making Lagos A No-mans-land by Bre(f): 2:51pm On Apr 07, 2015
steppin:
They should keep beating the drums of war.
Fuel price was increased and they nearly killed themselves over it.
Imagine what happens when they finally cause a war and they have no access to the oil.

I refuse to engage them in this nonsense e-war when those same culprits are probably saying "yes ma" to their Igbo boss in real life. People can pretend for this NL.

I am taking it all in stride. I understand that there are seriously intelligent and cultured Yorubas outside of this forum. Many of whom are my friends and can never write some of the trash I read here.

But there are those - who either to misfortune or otherwise - are not well-read (illiteracy is a real thing o!) that will read the rubbish on NL and carry this matter for their head in real life. It's either the mods start promoting better threads on front page rather than tribalistic ones or they can be the ones to stoke the fires of an ethnic war.

3 Likes

Re: Sorry, But Blame Your Colonial Emperor For Making Lagos A No-mans-land by toprealman: 3:04pm On Apr 07, 2015
SO JUST BECAUSE USA AND OTHER DEVELOPED COUNTRIES OPENED THEIR GATES FOR ALL AND SUNDRY SO IT IS NOW 'no-man's-land'. OP CROSS OVER AND TRY ANY POO THERE.

4 Likes

Re: Sorry, But Blame Your Colonial Emperor For Making Lagos A No-mans-land by Bre(f): 3:21pm On Apr 07, 2015
toprealman:
SO JUST BECAUSE USA AND OTHER DEVELOPED COUNTRIES OPENED THEIR GATES FOR ALL AND SUNDRY SO IT IS NOW 'no-man's-land'. OP CROSS OVER AND TRY ANY POO THERE.

I laugh at you, and it's a hearty,belly laugh.

I live and was raised in a "developed western country" hence why I can attest to their evils first hand and why I have a much broader view on such issues. I grew up having to defend my fierce Nigerian pride to not just the oyibo indigenes but the many other nationalities on the school playground. I chose to force those same oyibos to twist their tongues to call me by my native name rather than my easier to accept "English" name.

I can tell you of all the "POO" that these people have allowed others to come and do in their country. But who are they to complain? You cannot go out there and try to colonise the entire world without expecting the world to come and perch on your doorstep.

What was your point again? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Sorry, But Blame Your Colonial Emperor For Making Lagos A No-mans-land by eyeview: 3:58pm On Apr 07, 2015
Bre:

I refuse to engage them in this nonsense e-war when those same culprits are probably saying "yes ma" to their Igbo boss in real life. People can pretend for this NL.

I am taking it all in stride. I understand that there are seriously intelligent and cultured Yorubas outside of this forum. Many of whom are my friends and can never write some of the trash I read here.

But there are those - who either to misfortune or otherwise - are not well-read (illiteracy is a real thing o!) that will read the rubbish on NL and carry this matter for their head in real life. It's either the mods start promoting better threads on front page rather than tribalistic ones or they can be the ones to stoke the fires of an ethnic war.

You are probably one of the most intelligent ladies I have ever read their write-up. I must confess that I had to look up your profile. Quite smart and devoid of the insults that has characterised this Nairaland. Kudos. Quite impressed.

2 Likes

Re: Sorry, But Blame Your Colonial Emperor For Making Lagos A No-mans-land by toprealman: 3:59pm On Apr 07, 2015
Bre:

I laugh at you, and it's a hearty,belly laugh.

I live and was raised in a "developed western country"
What was your point again? undecided
You chat shit as always. I am happy you are where you say you are but I see no major difference between you and Mgbeke, mama dozen's first daughter living in the village. As a matter of fact, when you hear her speak, you wont believe she lives and WAS RAISED in an ''undeveloped eastern village'' unlike you.
FYI, men/women of honor don't necessarily wear gold but when you scratch them you see gold.Let your action tell us who and where you are.
Stop stalking me, we are not at the same 'quantum level'. I'm sure you must have worked that out.

4 Likes

Re: Sorry, But Blame Your Colonial Emperor For Making Lagos A No-mans-land by Bre(f): 4:18pm On Apr 07, 2015
toprealman:

You chat shit as always. I am happy you are where you say you are but I see no major difference between you and Mgbeke, mama dozen's first daughter living in the village. As a matter of fact, when you hear her speak, you wont believe she lives and WAS RAISED in an ''undeveloped eastern village'' unlike you.
FYI, men/women of honor don't necessarily wear gold but when you scratch them you see gold.Let your action tell us who and where you are.
Stop stalking me, we are not at the same 'quantum level'. I'm sure you must have worked that out.

I'm stalking you? When I created this thread and you chose to comment of your own free will?! Carry on undecided

4 Likes

Re: Sorry, But Blame Your Colonial Emperor For Making Lagos A No-mans-land by Bre(f): 4:24pm On Apr 07, 2015
eyeview:

You are probably one of the most intelligent ladies I have ever read their write-up. I must confess that I had to look up your profile. Quite smart and devoid of the insults that has characterised this Nairaland. Kudos. Quite impressed.

Thank you, eyeview. I used to lurk on NL and just enjoy the online company of my compatriots from afar. However the recent trend I have seen on NL with the selective actions of the mods and the hateful things I've read (and continue reading) has me in disbelief.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sorry, But Blame Your Colonial Emperor For Making Lagos A No-mans-land by toprealman: 4:33pm On Apr 07, 2015
Bre:

I'm stalking you? When I created this thread and you chose to comment of your own free will?! Carry on undecided
Bless you dear.
Re: Sorry, But Blame Your Colonial Emperor For Making Lagos A No-mans-land by eyeview: 4:36pm On Apr 07, 2015
Bre:

Thank you, eyeview. I used to lurk on NL and just enjoy the online company of my compatriots from afar. However the recent trend I have seen on NL with the selective actions of the mods and the hateful things I've read (and continue reading) has me in disbelief.

Its been disgusting to say the least. The saddest thing is that most igbos in Lagos voted Buhari/Osibanjo because they believed they had the requirements to change the gross inadequcies of GEJ administration. They didn't vote on tribal lines but on facts and genuine desire for change. But alas,when the results came in and the election won and lost,it was instantly turned into a tribal victory by the yorubas over igbos.
Anyway,I saw it coming cos Arthur nzeribe said something in 1993 that I will never forget. He said in 1993,they all worked with abiola to deliver their various states to SDP. They put aside tribal sentiments and worked for abiola's success. But when d results started trickling in and it became obvious that abiola will win,they converged at abiola's house to watch the results and celebrate the victory. But on arrival,they were barricaded off by the yorubas who had turned it into a 'yoruba parapo' affair.
Now all my igbo friends who genuinely voted for change are shocked how their votes have become part of a 'yoruba victory over their own igbo'. Very amusing I must say.

2 Likes

Re: Sorry, But Blame Your Colonial Emperor For Making Lagos A No-mans-land by Bre(f): 4:43pm On Apr 07, 2015
eyeview:

Its been disgusting to say the least. The saddest thing is that most igbos in Lagos voted Buhari/Osibanjo because they believed they had the requirements to change the gross inadequcies of GEJ administration. They didn't vote on tribal lines but on facts and genuine desire for change. But alas,when the results came in and the election won and lost,it was instantly turned into a tribal victory by the yorubas over igbos.
Anyway,I saw it coming cos Arthur nzeribe said something in 1993 that I will never forget. He said in 1993,they all worked with abiola to deliver their various states to SDP. They put aside tribal sentiments and worked for abiola's success. But when d results started trickling in and it became obvious that abiola will win,they converged at abiola's house to watch the results and celebrate the victory. But on arrival,they were barricaded off by the yorubas who had turned it into a 'yoruba parapo' affair.
Now all my igbo friends who genuinely voted for change are shocked how their votes have become part of a 'yoruba victory over their own igbo'. Very amusing I must say.

Amusing in a sad way. So desperate to one-up a tribe in any way possible... So much so as to carry the incoming presidency on their head as bragging rights. Is he not the supposed people's general? Or is he just for Odua and her people? Forgetting the northerners who really hold sway altogether. I pray that these e-warriors get better sense.
Re: Sorry, But Blame Your Colonial Emperor For Making Lagos A No-mans-land by Menace2Society(m): 4:57pm On Apr 07, 2015
We Igbos developed Lagos and Abuja grin

1 Like

Re: Sorry, But Blame Your Colonial Emperor For Making Lagos A No-mans-land by Jwonder(m): 5:43pm On Apr 07, 2015
All i see is ENVY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just because the Igbo's are adventurous and successful in their land that's why they are angry. An average yoruba man will never leave his father's house to seek for greener pastures else where, all u hear from them is "ILE BABA Mii" smh..Lazy folks.. They prefer going to the garage to collect money they didn't work for. Whether the yoruba like it or not all i know is that its ENVY that is bringing all this, if not, then why have they singled out igbo people to pour their hate on..don't we have Calabar, Niger Deltans and hausa's in Lagos.. Why must it always be "THE GREAT IGBO PEOPLE"

If you like Quote me and say rubbish that's you own wahala, have said my own...

5 Likes

Re: Sorry, But Blame Your Colonial Emperor For Making Lagos A No-mans-land by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:07pm On Apr 07, 2015
Rubbish! Is Calabar which was the first capital of Nigeria also "a no man's land"? You know nothing about history, don't pretend as though you do.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sorry, But Blame Your Colonial Emperor For Making Lagos A No-mans-land by jaysniggs: 6:08pm On Apr 07, 2015
Jwonder:
All i see is ENVY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just because the Igbo's are adventurous and successful in their land that's why they are angry. An average yoruba man will never leave his father's house to seek for greener pastures else where, all u hear from them is "ILE BABA Mii" smh..Lazy folks.. They prefer going to the garage to collect money they didn't work for. Whether the yoruba like it or not all i know is that its ENVY that is bringing all this, if not, then why have they singled out igbo people to pour their hate on..don't we have Calabar, Niger Deltans and hausa's in Lagos.. Why must it always be "THE GREAT IGBO PEOPLE"

If you like Quote me and say rubbish that's you own wahala, have said my own...

You're getting it all wrong
It is nothing near envy,.
For your parents to leave the East and come here because it is favourable to do business here and years after you people calling it a no man's land because it was once a capital of Nigeria is just crazy!
Weren't there people living in Lagos before Lagos became the capital?
Did Lagos not pay homage to her Oba before being made the capital?
Even before Lagos was made capital lots of businesses have been flourishing in Lagos.
The Yorubas traded with the white men even before Igbos came to Lagos.
So what's the envy for?
Even the bible tells us to give unto Ceasar what belongs to Ceasar and moreover its only wise to act like a roman when in Rome.
I think its lack of respect.
Even though we operate under a democratic setting each tribe knows its origin and roots!
And let this be known should a war break out the Igbos are in the enemy territory, how are they gonna survive?
These are questions you should ask yourselves before going on this path of perdition!
Peace!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sorry, But Blame Your Colonial Emperor For Making Lagos A No-mans-land by abduljabbar8: 6:43pm On Apr 07, 2015
Menace2Society:
Its still on front page go and check it out. One okoye something as caught trying to smuggle hard drugs

1 Like

Re: Sorry, But Blame Your Colonial Emperor For Making Lagos A No-mans-land by abduljabbar8: 6:44pm On Apr 07, 2015
Menace2Society:
Its still on front page go and check it out. One okoye something was caught trying to smuggle hard drugs
Re: Sorry, But Blame Your Colonial Emperor For Making Lagos A No-mans-land by adeyemik: 6:47pm On Apr 07, 2015
I wish to start by saying that the Oba of Lagos goofed by making such an unfortunate statement. Every right thinking person must condemned such unwarranted and ungodly utterances of the Oba.

However, while we are all calling for the head of the Oba, we should also remind ourselves that the Igbos through their representatives had at one point or the other made inflammatory statements that had the tendency of igniting a tribal conflict, but for the peaceful and calm nature of the Yorubas, those inflammatory statements were ignored to have peaceful coexistence.

It is wrong for the Igbos to claim that -

1.Lagos is a no-man's land - Lagos by its geographical location is in the Southwest of Nigeria and dominated by the Yorubas. There is no where it's ever written expressly or impliedly that a certain geographical location called Lagos was void and uninhabited. A certain tribe, group, or clan founded Lagos and this clan or group has passed down its traditions, ways of life, believes and norms to generations and generations, which many still belief on.

2. The igbos developed Lagos - This is a devilish claim. The development of Lagos started from the early 1900, this was aided by Federal might because was then a capital of Nigeria. In the early 1950 to 1970, the Oyos, the Ogbomoshos, the Egbas, the Aworis, and the Binis were the trade merchants involved in regional and international trade. During this period the Igbos except for few, were mainly involved in clans and local politics. It was in the early 1980 Lagos witness the upsurge of Igbos business activities in Lagos. So before the mass migration of the Igbos to Lagos, Lagos has developed and will keep on developing even if all the Igbos decide to leave Lagos.

3. Igbos are the ones feeding Lagos - The igbos can never and will never feed Lagos. If any tribe wants to make this claim, if should be the Hausas. Most of what are consumed down south comes from the North. In what way can the Igbos justify this ungodly claim. If an Igbo man has a business in Lagos, 70% of his employees are from the same ethnic extraction. When it comes to business ownership, the Yorubas have more business outfits than the Igbos in Lagos, and employs more none Yorubas in such organizations. The igbos need to expunge this claim from their brain.

4. The Eze Ndigbo giving a condition that the deputy governor of PDP must be of the Igbo extraction - Once a man contributes to any community he finds himself, he should be able to vie for an elective post. However, that should be left to the main candidate and his party to decide, not by a tribe insistence. Can an average igbo politician have a Yoruba man or woman has his deputy in the east? The answer is obvious. It is wrong for the Eze Ndigbo to every demand such in Yoruba speaking state.

5. The igbos are more superior in nature than other tribes in Lagos - The business savvy mentality of an average igbo man I appreciate. Their cleverness does not make them superior over other tribes. The mere fact that other tribes does not make noise or conjugate the ways the igbos does, do not make them inferior or less business minded. The Yorubas and Hausas are more successfully in business world than the igbos. The igbos dominate the motor spare parts or generator business, but in other areas of businesses outside these two, other tribes in Lagos preform far better and more successfully than the igbos.

The igbos need to expunge this superiority complex from their mind and come to reality.

Yorubas are peace loving, accommodating and God fearing people. The igbos should not allow their inordinate desires, affections and the evil schemes of the politicians to erode the long existing peaceful bond.

Yorubas are not cowards and we refuse to accept such label. Our inaction does not make us docile or lack the will power to act, when we act, we act decisively.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sorry, But Blame Your Colonial Emperor For Making Lagos A No-mans-land by Bre(f): 6:47pm On Apr 07, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:
Rubbish! Is Calabar which was the first capital of Nigeria also "a no man's land"? You know nothing about history, don't pretend as though you do.

Read below:

Calabar, formerly Old Calabar, town and port, capital of Cross River state, southeastern Nigeria. It lies along the Calabar River, 5 miles (8 km) upstream from that river’s entrance into the Cross River estuary. Settled in the early 17th century by the Efik branch of the Ibibio people, the town became a centre for trade between white traders on the coast and natives farther inland. Fish, cassava, bananas, palm oil, and palm kernels were traded at Calabar for European manufactured goods, and the town also served as a major slave-trading depot. Duke Town and the other Efik settlements near Calabar—Creek Town, Henshaw Town, and Obutong (Old Town)—were forcibly united into the loosely knit state of Old Calabar by the Ekpe secret society, which was controlled by the towns’ merchant houses.

By the mid-19th century, after the waning of the slave trade, Old Calabar’s economy had become based on the export of palm oil and palm kernels. After the chiefs of Duke Town accepted British protection in 1884, the town, which was called Old Calabar until 1904, served as capital of the Oil Rivers Protectorate (1885–93), the Niger Coast Protectorate (1893–1900), and Southern Nigeria (1900–06) until the British administrative headquarters were moved to Lagos. It remained an important port (shipping ivory, timber, and beeswax, as well as palm produce) until it was eclipsed by Port Harcourt, terminus (1916) of the railroad, 90 miles (145 km) west.

The name Old Calabar (as distinguished from the port and river named New Calabar, 120 miles [193 km] west) was originally given by 15th-century Portuguese navigators to the African inhabitants of that part of the Gulf of Guinea coast. This region was the main source of the Calabar bean, a poisonous bean that, when ingested, markedly affects the nervous system.

The completion of roads from Calabar to Arochukwu, Ikom, and Mamfe (in Cameroon) and the Calabar–Itu–Expene highway (which provides easy access to the rest of Nigeria) has contributed to Calabar’s importance as a port. Its natural harbour, which can accommodate vessels of 19.5-foot (6-metre) draft, exports palm produce, timber (mostly obeche), rubber, cocoa, copra, and piassava fibre. The town has a sawmill; rubber-, food-, and oil-palm-processing plants; a cement factory; and a boatbuilding industry. Wood carving is a traditional art of the Efik, and the town’s artisans sculpt ebony artifacts for the tourist market in Lagos.

Calabar has long been an educational centre. Its first church school, established by the Reverend Hope Waddell of the Free Church of Scotland in 1846, helped influence the Ekpe secret society to pass a law (1850) prohibiting human sacrifice. Calabar now is the site of the University of Calabar (1975), a college of technology, a teacher-training college, and numerous secondary schools. Pop. (2006) local government area, 184,415

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/88678/Calabar

Does that sound like a capital of Nigeria or a regional capital to you?

Let me also categorically state that today is the first day I learned Lagos to be known to be called a "no man's land". Thanks, Nairaland!

1 Like

Re: Sorry, But Blame Your Colonial Emperor For Making Lagos A No-mans-land by Bre(f): 6:57pm On Apr 07, 2015
jaysniggs:
You're getting it all wrong
It is nothing near envy,.
For your parents to leave the East and come here because it is favourable to do business here and years after you people calling it a no man's land because it was once a capital of Nigeria is just crazy!
Weren't there people living in Lagos before Lagos became the capital?
Did Lagos not pay homage to her Oba before being made the capital?
Even before Lagos was made capital lots of businesses have been flourishing in Lagos.
The Yorubas traded with the white men even before Igbos came to Lagos.
So what's the envy for?
Even the bible tells us to give unto Ceasar what belongs to Ceasar and moreover its only wise to act like a roman when in Rome.
I think its lack of respect.
Even though we operate under a democratic setting each tribe knows its origin and roots!
And let this be known should a war break out the Igbos are in the enemy territory, how are they gonna survive?
These are questions you should ask yourselves before going on this path of perdition!
Peace!

Listen bro, I understand your frustration and the knee jerk reaction to protect the integrity of what you see as your land but there is absolutely nothing insultive in Igbos choosing a candidate to vote for in accordance with their personal interests. This is a democratic land.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Sorry, But Blame Your Colonial Emperor For Making Lagos A No-mans-land by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:00pm On Apr 07, 2015
Bre:

Read below:

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/88678/Calabar

Does that sound like a capital of Nigeria or a regional capital to you?

Let me also categorically state that today is the first day I learned Lagos to be known to be called a "no man's land". Thanks, Nairaland!
You have no idea of what you posted. According to the link you posted, from 1900 to 1906, the capital of Southern Protectorate was Calabar before it moved to Lagos. For your information, after the Berlin Conference of 1884/5, Nigeria was divided into Northern and Southern protectorates. The Crown governed the south directly while the north was governed on its behalf by the Royal Niger Company of Tubman Goldie.
On Calabar and Lagos, go read why all the countries in Africa that are not land-locked have their capitals in the coasts.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sorry, But Blame Your Colonial Emperor For Making Lagos A No-mans-land by jaysniggs: 7:09pm On Apr 07, 2015
Bre:

Listen bro, I understand your frustration and the knee jerk reaction to protect the integrity of what you see as your land but there is absolutely nothing insultive in Igbos choosing a candidate to vote for in accordance with their personal interests. This is a democratic land.

My dear common sense doesn't need to be this scarce for you to understand that if you're in another tribes territory, for there to be peace you have to conform to their wishes!
How would you people think of putting Lagos at the opposition for another 4 years by a party who did everything possible to see it crumble in the last 16 years?
Should you be told Lagos state holds a better chance at developing herself with her internal revenue and the right attention from the APC led federal government?
How do you people even think?
After all is said and done do you think Jimi Agbaje will betray his own people for the Igbos?
This is common sense and its obvious you lack it for you to have said I'm frustrated.
Look with or without your votes Ambode is winning and the people that are goNna pay for it are the Igbos not the Yorubas!
Why don't you see PDP is using your tribe as pawns as usual?

2 Likes

Re: Sorry, But Blame Your Colonial Emperor For Making Lagos A No-mans-land by Menace2Society(m): 7:47pm On Apr 07, 2015
abduljabbar8:

Its still on front page go and check it out. One okoye something was caught trying to smuggle hard drugs
U know na we developed Kano too lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Sorry, But Blame Your Colonial Emperor For Making Lagos A No-mans-land by Gr8amechi: 8:27pm On Apr 07, 2015
[quote author=eyeview post=32451878]
I beg to disagree with certain things you have said, if you followed this NL closely you would have discovered Igbos making the news that Yoruba and Hausa gang up against them and d SS. see let's be honest igbos at times don't tread with sense, I am ashamed but its the truth
Re: Sorry, But Blame Your Colonial Emperor For Making Lagos A No-mans-land by BlackBaron: 8:43pm On Apr 07, 2015
When you say it like that, you're kind of implying that the original inhabitants have been stripped of their historic and ancestral rights to their land.

Calabar is no longer a capital, but it once was. No one is singing to the original inhabitants how their land doesn't belong to them anymore because it once benefited from government largesse.
Lagos benefits from a very prime location and was supported by different tribes to become what it is presently.
Re: Sorry, But Blame Your Colonial Emperor For Making Lagos A No-mans-land by OrlandoOwoh(m): 3:45am On Apr 08, 2015
Bre, where are you?
Re: Sorry, But Blame Your Colonial Emperor For Making Lagos A No-mans-land by Bre(f): 4:31pm On Apr 08, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:
Bre, where are you?

I see I was missed...

In any case, your point made on Calabar still does not buttress your stance. Capital of southern Nigeria, yes. Capital of NIGERIA? No. But this digresses from what my intended focus was anyway
Re: Sorry, But Blame Your Colonial Emperor For Making Lagos A No-mans-land by adeyemik: 4:37pm On Apr 08, 2015
For the home video/CD generations who claimed that Lagos is a no mans land. Below is the history of Lagos from wikipedia

History of Lagos

Modern-day Lagos is now a state in South-Western Nigeria. It is bounded on the west by the Republic of Benin, to the north and east by Ogun State with the Atlantic Ocean providing a coastline on the south.

Area
Lagos has a total of 3,577 square kilometers; 787 square kilometers is made up of lagoons and creeks including: Lagos Lagoon, Lagos Harbour, Five Cowrie Creek, Ebute-Metta Creek, Porto-Novo Creek, New Canal, Badagry Creek, Kuramo Waters and Lighthouse Creek.

Names of Lagos
Lagos means "lakes" in Portuguese, the language of first European-settlers known to visit the settlement,then already inhabited by the Awori people, in 1472. From the first contacts with the region until the early 20th century, another Portuguese name for the city that was interchangeably used was Onim, finally abandoned in favor of Lagos.

Prior to Lagos being adopted, the settlement was called Eko by its Kingdom of Benin conquerors, which stems from either Oko (Yoruba: "cassava farm"wink or Eko ("war camp"wink.

Founding of Lagos according to the oral history of Lagos, at some point around 1300-1400 CE, the Oba (King) of the Benin Empire - who used to send trade expeditions to Ghana, where spices were traded - heard from one of his traders complaints about the way she was being treated by the Awori who lived in the area of current day Lagos. The Oba of Benin then sent a trade expedition by sea to engage with the Awori people, who nonetheless declined to engage and attacked the mission sent by Benin.

Upon hearing this as the mission returned to Benin City, the Oba of Benin commanded the assembling of a war expedition, led by Ado, a Benin Prince, which headed to the settlement of the Awori (current-day Lagos; then called Eko by the Benin people) and demanded an explanation.

On getting there, Ado and his army were more than well received - the Awori from Lagos asked Benin Prince Ado to stay there and become their leader. Ado agreed, on the condition that they surrendered their sovereignty to the Oba of Benin, to which the Awori people of Lagos agreed.

Upon hearing this, the Oba of Benin gave his permission for Prince Ado and the expedition to remain in Eko with the Awori. The Oba of Benin later sent some of his chiefs, including the Eletu Odibo, Obanikoro and others, to assist Ado in the running of Eko.

Lagos as a tributary to the Benin Empire
From the crowning of Ado as its first Oba, Lagos (then called Eko) served as a major center for slave-trade, from which then Oba of Benin Ado and all of his successors for over four centuries benefitted - until 1841, when Oba Akitoye ascended to the throne of Lagos and tried to ban slave-trading.

Local merchants strongly opposed the intended move, and deposed and exiled the king, and installed Akitoye's brother Kosoko as Oba.[3]

At exile in Europe, Akitoye met with British authorities, who had banned slave-trading in 1807, and who therefore decided to support the deposed Oba to regain his throne. With the success of the British intervention, in 1851 Akitoye was reinstalled as Oba of Lagos. In practical terms, however, British influence over the kingdom had become absolute, and ten years later, in 1861, Lagos was formally annexed as a British colony.

Colonial Lagos as capital of Nigeria
The British annexed Lagos as a colony in 1861. The remainder of the Benin Empire - i.e, modern-day Nigeria - were seized by the British in 1887, and when the British established the Colony and Protectorate of Nigeria in 1914, Lagos was declared its capital.

Lagos maintained its status as capital when Nigeria obtained its independence from Britain in 1960. Lagos was therefore the capital city of Nigeria from 1914 until 1991, when it was replaced as Federal Capital Territory by planned city of Abuja, built specifically for such purpose.

Currently
Until today, the Oba of Lagos is the head of all the Kings in Lagos State and his status is different from other Oba's most of whom were later given back their crowns and staff of office only within the last 40 years. Those who got their crowns back were the original land owners (Olofin's children). Modern-day Lagosians have so intermingled that no single tribe or people can claim it even though the predominant language is Yoruba.

The present day Lagos state has a higher percent of this sub-group who allegedly migrated to the area from Isheri along the Ogun river. History has it that the Awori were actually from Ife, the cradle of Yorubaland. The Awori people are a peaceful people initially not taken to warfare. Due to war, those from the hinterlands, like the Ekiti, ran towards Isheri, which at that time had more than one Olofin (Alafin)who were heads of settlements about 1400AD.

With the fleeing people from the hinterlands most of them scattered again, some to Iro, to Otta, Ado, others to Ebute Metta i.e. three landing places - Oyingbo, Iddo Island and Lagos Island (Eko). The Olofin that brought those who went to Ebute-Metta was Ogunfunminire later known as Agbodere. With the full commencement of the war about 2000 moved to the nearest island of Iddo, others to Otto Awori or Otto Ijanikin towards modern-day Badagry. Those from Ekiti Aramoko came to Ebute-Metta, Iddo and then Ijora.

After the demise of Agbodere, the name Olofin became the name used to remember him while a title of Oloto was given to his successor. With one of his sons becoming the Oloto his other children parted ways to what is known as visible settlements in present-day Lagos.

Until the coming of the Benins, Lagos's geographic boundary was Lagos Mainland. Lagos Island, the seat of the Oba of Lagos, then consisted of a pepper farm and fishing posts. No one lived there. The name Eko was given to it by its first king, Oba Ado, during its early history; it also saw periods of rule by the Kingdom of Benin.

Eko was the land area now known as Lagos Island where the king's palace was built. The palace is called Iga Idunganran, meaning "palace built on the pepper farm". Oba Ado and the warriors from Benin, as well as some of the indigenous people who sought safety, settled down in the southern part of Eko called "Isale Eko", Isale literally meaning bottom, but must have been used to indicate downtown (as in Downtown Lagos).

Notable events[edit]
The first king of Lagos, Oba Ado, apart from having two sons also had a daughter Erelu Kuti, who begat Ologun Kutere, who later became king. Shokun his brother, who was more aggressive and whom the Erelu suspected could plan a palace coup, was given a chieftaincy title, "Onile-gbale", and a palace just behind the king's palace. This was the first time that a Chief would be appointed and installed at the same time as a King's coronation.

Oba Akitoye who ceded Lagos to the British was oba Kosoko's uncle. Oba Akitoye was the first Oba not to be buried in a Bini. Prior to this, all the Kings of lagos were buried in Bini. They passed on taxes to the Oba of Bini until the British came and explained that there was no need to send taxes to Bini anymore especially as the Binis themselves were paying taxes to Britain. It was during his reign that the direct influence of the Binis on Lagos ended.

Oba Kosoko believed in the slave trade and was at loggerheads with the British, hence his dethronement and flight, first to Badagry and later to Epe, Nigeria where he founded kingdoms that still exist today.

Past Obas (Kings)[edit]
Main article: Oba of Lagos
Ashipa (1600–1630) died on the way back to Benin
King Ado (1630–1669) first King of Lagos
King Gabaro (1669–1704)
King Akinsemoyin (1704–1749)
Eletu Kekere (1749)
King Ologun Kutere (1749–1775)
Adele Ajosun (1775-1780 & 1832-1834)
Eshilokun (1780–1819)
Oba Idewu Ojulari (1819–1832)
King Oluwole (1836–1841)
King Akintoye (1841-1845 & 1851-1853)
Oba Kosoko (1845–1851)
King Dosunmu [Docemo] (1853–1885)
Oba Oyekan (1885–1900)
Oba Esugbayi Eleko (1901-1925 & 1932)
Oba Ibikunle Akitoye (1925–1928)
Oba Sanusi Olusi (1928–1931)
Oba Falolu (1932–1949)
Oba Adeniji Adele (1949–1964)
Oba Adeyinka Oyekan II (1965–2003)
Oba Rilwan Akiolu (2003–present)

Colonial-era

Modern-day Lagos was founded by the Bini in the sixteenth century. It was later called Eko. The Portuguese explorer Ruy de Sequeira who visited the area in 1472, named the area around the city Lago de Curamo; the present name is Portuguese for "lakes". An alternate explanation is that Lagos was named for Lagos, Portugal - a maritime town which at the time was the main center of the Portuguese expeditions down the African coast and whose own name is derived from the Celtic word Lacobriga.

Flag of Lagos Colony
It was a major centre of the slave trade until 1851, when Great Britain, which had abolished slavery in 1807, bombarded and established a treaty which ushered in the British Consular Period.[4] Lagos was annexed by Britain via the Lagos Treaty of Cession in 1861 ending the Consular Period and starting the British Colonial Period. The remainder of modern-day Nigeria was seized in 1886[citation needed]

Post colonial

When the Colony and Protectorate of Nigeria was established in 1914 Lagos was declared its capital. Lagos experienced rapid growth throughout the 1960s and 1970s as a result of Nigeria's economic boom prior to the Biafran War. This continued through the 1980s and 1990s up to the present date.

Lagos was the capital of Nigeria from 1914 - 1991 when the capital was moved to Abuja. Abuja is a capital like Washington, DC in USA and Brasilia in Brazil in that it was built from scratch specifically to be a capital.

In 1991, Ibrahim Babangida, the Military President and other government functions moved to the newly built capital. This was as a result of intelligence reports on the safety of his life and what was later to be termed his hidden agenda, which was the plan to turn himself into a civilian president. He finished what was started by the Murtala/Obasanjo regime. The change resulted in Lagos losing some prestige and economic leverage. However, it has retained its importance as the country's largest city and as an economic centre.

Source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Lagos
Re: Sorry, But Blame Your Colonial Emperor For Making Lagos A No-mans-land by OrlandoOwoh(m): 4:39pm On Apr 08, 2015
Bre:

I see I was missed...

In any case, your point made on Calabar still does not buttress your stance. Capital of southern Nigeria, yes. Capital of NIGERIA? No. But this digresses from what my intended focus was anyway
Missed you? No! If Calabar was the capital of southern Nigeria it means the rerources of the Southern Protectorate were used to develop it. Why is Calabar not called "a no man's land"?

(1) (Reply)

Diezani Allison Madueke Allegedly Flees The Country / Man Says His Babymama Has Disappeared With His Triplets (photos) / Picture Of Igbos In Buhari's Entourage To The USA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.