Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,879 members, 7,802,838 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:58 PM

Two Things You Need To Know As A Jehovah's Witness! - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Two Things You Need To Know As A Jehovah's Witness! (14889 Views)

Female Jehovah's Witness Knocks At Man's House, He Opens The Door While Naked / Diary Of A Jehovah's Witness / I Went To A Jehovah Witness Church! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Two Things You Need To Know As A Jehovah's Witness! by dolphinheart(m): 1:04am On May 10, 2015
Emusan:

You simply ran because nothing in my post you can refute. The saying "Jehovah witnesses know the truth but they decided to live in deceit is true."

I'm still waiting for you to tell me who are the True Christians, remember your statement "Who is a Christian , a worshiper of Jesus or a follower of Jesus teachings, ways and commandments.

Yep, I ran away cus I realized you thought I was trying to refute you.
Secondly , on who is a Christian , it was not a statement but one of the questions I was hoping u answer in which ur refusal to answer quickened my resolve to run away
Re: Two Things You Need To Know As A Jehovah's Witness! by Nobody: 12:22pm On May 10, 2015
Emusan:

The bold section especially THE UNDERLINE is where you miss the point of this thread, this is the same mistake you made above contrasting Y & J which I didn't bother to reply you because you didn't refer to me in your post.

Let me help you this time around, I'm not talking about the alphabet (Y & J) that appear in the name nor HOW JEWS PRONOUNCE the the Divine name the main point here is [size=14pt]the FORMULATION OF THE WORD THAT ENGLISH TRANSLATORS ADOPTED.[/size] When Martini formulated the one English adapted to today, he WRONGLY substituted the vowel of ADHONAY for 'YHWH to get YEHOWAH which rendered the word useless and having NO FORM EVER USED BY THE JEWS.

SO THE POINT HERE IS WRONG FORMULATION OF JEHOVAH.

Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary: "Jehovah is a [size=14pt]false reading[/size] of the Hebrew YAHWEH."

New Catholic Encyclopedia: "Jehovah is a [size=14pt]false form[/size] of the divine name YAHWEH."

Webster’s Third New International Dictionary: "‘Jehovah.’ Intended as a transliteration of Hebrew YAHWEH, the vowel points of Hebrew ADHONAY (my Lord) being erroneously substituted for those of YAHWEH; from the fact that in some Hebrew manuscripts the vowel points of ADHONAY (used as a euphemism [less direct style of writing] for YAHWEH) were written under the consonants YHWH or YAHWEH to indicate that ADHONAY was to be substituted in oral reading for YAHWEH. Jehovah is a Christian transliteration of the Tetragrammaton long assumed by many Christians to be the authentic reproduction of the Hebrew sacred name for God [size=14pt]but now recognized to be a late hybrid form never used by the Jews."[/size]

The Universal Jewish Encyclopedia: "Jehovah is an erroneous pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton, or four-lettered name of God made up of the Hebrew letters YHWH. [size=14pt]The word ‘Jehovah’ therefore is a misreading for which there is no warrant and which makes no sense in Hebrew."[/size]

The funny part of it is that your organization knew this but still promote the usage of JEHOVAH just because people's familiarities with it, what an organization!

The people's familiarity has always been the bane, not accuracy. While calling Jesus, Jeremiah or Isaiah, we don't fight because we want to say it the way the Jewish man does. No! If anyone is making a case on accurate pronunciation, let him also pronounce all other names the way Jews do. If not, he is not to be taken serious.

No one knows the way it was pronounced then. Even Yahweh is not generally agreed by scholars to be the right way of pronouncing it.

1 Like

Re: Two Things You Need To Know As A Jehovah's Witness! by Emusan(m): 9:12am On May 11, 2015
dolphinheart:
Yep, I ran away cus I realized you thought I was trying to refute you.

So what is the essence of joining this thread and quoting me if not because you want to refute my point

Secondly , on who is a Christian , [size=14pt]it was not a statement but one of the questions I was hoping u answer in which ur refusal to answer quickened my resolve to run away[/size]

@bold part-I know what you're driving at that's why I gave you infallible evidence from your own organization.

Because the point you want to bring out is TRUE CHRISTIANS can't be a WORSHIPER OF JESUS CHRIST (am I lying?). So with this line of your reasoning I gave you those fact from your own organization. Which means if TRUE CHRISTIANS can't be a worshiper of Jesus Christ then nobody among early Jehovah Witness is a true Christian talk less of being among the HOLY ONES/LITTLE FLOCK since they worship Jesus for good 54years and proclaimed Jesus instead of announcing Jehovah before the teaching changed.

1 Like

Re: Two Things You Need To Know As A Jehovah's Witness! by Emusan(m): 9:29am On May 11, 2015
JMAN05:
The people's familiarity has always been the bane, [size=14pt]not accuracy.[/size]

Now let's assume that someone just wake up and give God a name and people have familiar with it before God Himself told Moses about His name, you will say the one people already familiar with should be choosing not THE ACCURATE one God gave.

So you agree now that NWT didn't use ACCURATE name for God but the one people familiar with.

While calling Jesus, Jeremiah or Isaiah, we don't fight because we want to say it the way the Jewish man does. No! If anyone is making a case on accurate pronunciation, let him also pronounce all other names the way Jews do. If not, he is not to be taken serious.

This is the reason I took my time to educate you about the purpose of this thread, NOBODY SAY YOU SHOULD PRONOUNCE IT THE WAY JEWS ARE PRONOUNCING THEIR NAME but the name any language adopted from other language MUST HAVE THEIR ROOT/FORM FROM THE ORIGINAL LANGUAGE (Jehovah doesn't have any FORM in Hebrew)

I've said this in my early post both Jeremiah, Jesus, Isaiah were USED BY THE GREEK WRITERS which means those name have their ROOT/FORM in equivalent of it in Hebrew. Unless if you want to tell me the Greek writers used a wrong form Hebrew name in Greek.

This problem wouldn't have occurred if the Greek writers USED GREEK EQUIVALENT WORD OF THE HEBREW DIVINE NAME of God.

No one knows the way it was pronounced then. Even Yahweh is not generally agreed by scholars to be the right way of pronouncing it.

Who are the scholars who disagree about the use of YAHWEH?

1 Like

Re: Two Things You Need To Know As A Jehovah's Witness! by Nobody: 10:08am On May 12, 2015
Emusan:

Now let's assume that someone just wake up and give God a name and people have familiar with it before God Himself told Moses about His name, you will say the one people already familiar with should be choosing not THE ACCURATE one God gave.

So you agree now that NWT didn't use ACCURATE name for God but the one people familiar with.

This is the reason I took my time to educate you about the purpose of this thread, NOBODY SAY YOU SHOULD PRONOUNCE IT THE WAY JEWS ARE PRONOUNCING THEIR NAME but the name any language adopted from other language MUST HAVE THEIR ROOT/FORM FROM THE ORIGINAL LANGUAGE (Jehovah doesn't have any FORM in Hebrew)

I've said this in my early post both Jeremiah, Jesus, Isaiah were USED BY THE GREEK WRITERS which means those name have their ROOT/FORM in equivalent of it in Hebrew. Unless if you want to tell me the Greek writers used a wrong form Hebrew name in Greek.

This problem wouldn't have occurred if the Greek writers USED GREEK EQUIVALENT WORD OF THE HEBREW DIVINE NAME of God.

Who are the scholars who disagree about the use of YAHWEH?

Sir, what is the right name God gave to Mary for the name "Jesus" in Hebrew? And how are u writing and pronouncing that name now? Are u using the accurate one God gave?

How do Jews write and vocalize what u call "isaiah" today? Are using the one God gave?

What do u mean having there root forms in Hebrew, and how did Isaiah, Jesus and Jeremiah fit in ?

You are not up against pronunciation, then your op is useless.

For ur information, most scholars prefer Yahweh cos they are seeking the correct vocalization. And our question is, why don't they do such for other names? Is it not glaring that english is not interested in accurate pronunciation?

Again, until you start pronouncing all Hebrew names as jews do, you are not to be taken serious. I wonder why u want to use "y" when God's name comes into play and use "j" when Christ's name is discussed. Is it only God's name u want to use "y" for? Why not all other names? You guys are certainly not serious.

For argument on pronunciation, see:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah
Re: Two Things You Need To Know As A Jehovah's Witness! by Emusan(m): 1:20pm On May 12, 2015
JMAN05:
Sir, what is the right name God gave to Mary for the name "Jesus" in Hebrew? And how are u writing and pronouncing that name now? Are u using the accurate one God gave?

How do Jews write and vocalize what u call "isaiah" today? Are using the one God gave?

What do u mean having there root forms in Hebrew, and how did Isaiah, Jesus and Jeremiah fit in?

You're still repeating the same shiit...

Let me help you this time around for the last time...for instance the name Jesus in Hebrew is Yehshua and when the Greek NT writers who ALSO understood Hebrew will write it in Greek they USED GREEK EQUIVALENT word let me ask you "Does the NT writers wrong with their Greek word for Yehshua? for had it been that the Divine name for God in Hebrew was USED BY THE GREEK WRITERS what Martini formulated wouldn't have occurred.

You are not up against pronunciation, then your op is useless.

How

For ur information, most scholars prefer Yahweh cos they are seeking the correct vocalization. And our question is, why don't they do such for other names? Is it not glaring that english is not interested in accurate pronunciation?

NOT ONLY IN VOCALIZATION...habaaaa
YAHWEH has a FORM in HEBREW but JEHOVAH doesn't

Again, until you start pronouncing all Hebrew names as jews do, you are not to be taken serious. I wonder why u want to use "y" when God's name comes into play and use "j" when Christ's name is discussed. Is it only God's name u want to use "y" for? Why not all other names? You guys are certainly not serious.

For argument on pronunciation, see:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah

I'm very sure you're not sincere with yourself if you actually read the link you gave.

1) The link is totally against your claim:

Under Pronunciation
i) Jehovah (/dʒɨˈhoʊvə/ jə-HOH-və) is a Latinization of the Hebrew יְהֹוָה, one vocalization of the Tetragrammaton יהוה (YHWH), the proper name of the God of Israel in the Hebrew Bible. [size=14pt]This vocalization has been transliterated as "Yehowah",[1] while YHWH itself has been transliterated as "Yahweh".[/size]

ii) Karaite Jews,[14] as proponents of the rendering Jehovah, state that although the original pronunciation of יהוה has been obscured by disuse of the spoken name according to oral Rabbinic law, well-established English transliterations of other Hebrew personal names are accepted in normal usage, such as Joshua, Isaiah or Jesus, for which the original pronunciations may be unknown.

iii) Early modern translators disregarded the practice of reading Adonai (or its equivalents in Greek and Latin, Κύριος and Dominus)[22] in place of the Tetragrammaton and instead combined the four Hebrew letters of the Tetragrammaton with the vowel points that, except in synagogue scrolls, accompanied them, resulting in the form Jehovah.

Under Development
i) [color=brown]The most widespread theory is that the Hebrew term יְהֹוָה has the vowel points of אֲדֹנָי (adonai).[28] Using the vowels of adonai, the composite hataf patah ֲ under the guttural alef א becomes a sheva ְ under the yod י, the holam ֹ is placed over the first he ה, and the qamats ָ is placed under the vav ו, [size=14pt]giving יְהֹוָה (Jehovah).[/size] When the two names, יהוה and אדני, occur together, the former is pointed with a hataf segol ֱ under the yod י and a hiriq ִ under the second he ה, giving יֱהֹוִה, to indicate that it is to be read as (elohim) in order to avoid adonai being repeated.

ii) Taking the spellings at face value may have been as a result of not knowing about the Q're perpetuum, [size=14pt]thus resulting in the term "Jehovah" and its spelling variants.[30][31] Emil G. Hirsch was among the modern scholars that recognized "Jehovah" to be "grammatically impossible"[29][/size]

Under Discourses Rejecting and Defending Jehovah

Summary of discourses

In A Dictionary of the Bible (1863), William Robertson Smith summarized these discourses, [size=14pt]concluding that "whatever, therefore, be the true pronunciation of the word, there can be little doubt that it is not Jehovah".[85][/size] Despite this, he consistently uses the name Jehovah throughout his dictionary and when translating Hebrew names. Some examples include Isaiah [Jehovah's help or salvation], Jehoshua [Jehovah a helper], Jehu [Jehovah is He]. In the entry, Jehovah, Smith writes: "JEHOVAH (יְהֹוָה, usually with the vowel points of אֲדֹנָי; but when the two occur together, the former is pointed יֱהֹוִה, that is with the vowels of אֱלֹהִים, as in Obad. i. 1, Hab. iii. 19:"[86] This practice is also observed in many modern publications, such as the New Compact Bible Dictionary (Special Crusade Edition) of 1967 and Peloubet's Bible Dictionary of 1947.

The second line of your ridiculous statement was found missing, the emphasis you made on J & Y which never occur in the link

The third line of your statement that scholars prefer using Yahweh because they're seeking correct VOCALIZATION is also refuted as we can see that since the development of the name is wrong then the pronunciation will also wrong.

Waiting for another excuse you'll come with...

1 Like

Re: Two Things You Need To Know As A Jehovah's Witness! by Barnabaseloka(m): 1:28pm On May 12, 2015
What is wrong with some people who call themselves Christians. They study in order to find errors from the Scriptures, but will not compare scripture with scripture. This is what Paul warned us about engaging in vain arguments. You leave studying the Scriptures to see how you will live a life pleasing to God and go to heaven at last. But begin to argue whether God's name is Yaweh or Jehovah or if he has any other name by which he is called.
God has many names and whichever you call Him, he hears and answers. If your name is Emeka Kunle Timothy, will you not answer when anyone calls you by any of the three? God reveals Himself in different ways to different people. God revealed himself to Moses as 'I am' to Abraham, He is 'Jehovah Jireh- God my provider' To David, He is ' Deliverer, Fortress, Shield' and so on.
Note: There is nowhere in the Scriptures that God says that He has an original name or only one name, in that He will not answer you when you do not call him by that 'one' name. Call him by any of his names and He will be come to deliver you.

1 Like

Re: Two Things You Need To Know As A Jehovah's Witness! by RikoduoSennin(m): 2:27pm On May 12, 2015
Emusan:

You didn't make any what? Why did you MODIFY your early post then?
Don't worry the way your organization lies to continue to buy you people's mind is what you're practicing.

I made typhographical error, I was not contracting myself, you simply saw what you saw!

Emusan:

Just give me where JESUS used the DIVINE NAME, not the place He quoted from Hebrew scripture as you people claimed.

Why will Jesus address God as FATHER and teaches His follower to address God as Father and NOT Jehovah?

Read John 17:6,26 " Jesus said He made A NAME not a Title known", What name was he talking about?

@bold section above: Why did Jesus made known or manifest THE FATHER's NAME TO THE MEN YHWH GAVE HIM @ John 17:6,26 ?

Emusan:

He didn't! Because God Himself had said that A NEW NAME WILL BE GIVEN [/b]

God himself? Jesus addressed God as Father? I thought you belief Jesus is God himself ):

John 17:26, What did Jesus mean when he said "I WILL MAKE 'IT' KNOWN? WHAT DOES THE WORD 'IT' REFER TO?

YHWH is not a name to be GIVEN to anyone because only one being is worthy of bearing that name- That is THE MOST HIGH (Psalm 83:18)

[quote author=Emusan post=33401682]
Do you also know that NAME AND POWER are synonymous as being used in the Bible?

Can you replace everywhere you find 'YHWH' or the word 'NAME' with the word 'Power' in the Bible without altering the meaning of that passage?

Emusan:

How did He do it when He addresses God as FATHER and also teaches His follower to do so?
Show me where Jesus told His follower to use the DIVINE NAME in the scripture

Jesus used the Divine Name, if he didn't he would have been LYING @ John 17:6,26. He told that Name to his Disciples, why? For them not to use it?

Ofcourse, Jesus what is disciples to use the Divine Name.

Emusan:

I can't stop laughing when you people will rush to MANUSCRIPT as if any MANUSCRIPTS support your claim.

Now see this BOLD CONTRADICTION in your post (this is the same lie your brother (CAPT) pulled up ethere which I put right in his face but ran away with this obvious contradiction which you also have repeated here.)

[b]@bold (especially underlined)-you claimed that "his disciples WHO WROTE the CHRISTIAN GREEK SCRIPTURES"
Yet you said below again "Jerome of the fourth and fifth century C.E wrote that Matthew/Levi wrote his book originally in Hebrew which was later translated to Greek.

Please when was a TRANSLATOR BECOME A WRITER?
Because if Matthew/Levi wrote his book in original Hebrew why referring to THE GREEK TRANSLATION AS ORIGINAL GREEK AGAIN written by Jesus disciples?

You don't follow my arguments at all, you care more about 'fights of words'. Tell me, Jerome mentioned that Matthew wrote his book originally in Hebrew; In the New testament books, how many book did Matthew write? - ONE, How many other books were written originally in Greek
? - The majority, hence my phrase " His disciples (plural) who wrote the Christian Greek scripture (another name for New testament books since majority of those books were written originally in greek). I still don't understand how all this relate to the thread.

Emusan:

Where did Jesus and His disciple use the Divine name?

Lastly, when was this REMOVING OF THIS DIVINE NAME from the scriptures started, before Christ or after Christ? With evidence please

Are you saying that Jesus and his disciples DID NOT USE THE DIVINE NAME? What was their reasons for NOT using the Name their ancestors used so frequently? The superstition?

I thought you have a phone/pc with internet, finding out when the Divine Name was removed from the Bible shouldn't be that hard. Some Bible translation preface section should be of help.

Emusan:

Now I have a nasty habit of MISQUOTING you can you please show me where I did this?
So if you realized that YOUR POST ALWAYS INCLUDE TYPHO, why accusing me of being having a nasty habit of misquoting you?

Because you don't follow my Train of thought, even with my typho you should have figured out what I am trying to say, instead you see my typho as me contradicting myself. Also try to read in between the lines, ask questions- why is Riko saying this? It help you to see where I am coming from. );
Re: Two Things You Need To Know As A Jehovah's Witness! by RikoduoSennin(m): 2:30pm On May 12, 2015
Barnabaseloka:
What is wrong with some people who call themselves Christians. They study in order to find errors from the Scriptures, but will not compare scripture with scripture. This is what Paul warned us about engaging in vain arguments. You leave studying the Scriptures to see how you will live a life pleasing to God and go to heaven at last. But begin to argue whether God's name is Yaweh or Jehovah or if he has any other name by which he is called.
God has many names and whichever you call Him, he hears and answers. If your name is Emeka Kunle Timothy, will you not answer when anyone calls you by any of the three? God reveals Himself in different ways to different people. God revealed himself to Moses as 'I am' to Abraham, He is 'Jehovah Jireh- God my provider' To David, He is ' Deliverer, Fortress, Shield' and so on.
Note: There is nowhere in the Scriptures that God says that He has an original name or only one name, in that He will not answer you when you do not call him by that 'one' name. Call him by any of his names and He will be come to deliver you.

There is a difference between a Title and a name.

God has one Name and Many Titles. His name is Jehovah (Psalm 83:18) or its equivalent in various languages.
Re: Two Things You Need To Know As A Jehovah's Witness! by Emusan(m): 3:46pm On May 12, 2015
RikoduoSennin:
I made typhographical error, I was not contracting myself, you simply saw what you saw!

Instead of you to admit your fault you're still proving right,
Why should I even take you serious when you can't distinguish between TYPO and OMISSION of word in a sentence?

Read John 17:6,26 " Jesus said He made A NAME not a Title known", What name was he talking about?

The name we know today.
I can see how you're stylishly dodging my request: Give JUST A SINGLE VERSE where Jesus addresses the Father as Jehovah...not only Jesus also the Apostles Yet no single verse can be produce uopn your claim that JESUS used the Divine name.

@bold section above: Why did Jesus made known or manifest THE FATHER's NAME TO THE MEN YHWH GAVE HIM @ John 17:6,26?

For attestation of His coming from The Father...
I'll now direct the question back to you, HOW was Jesus made known or manifested the Father's name to those men?

Can you replace everywhere you find 'YHWH' or the word 'NAME' with the word 'Power' in the Bible without altering the meaning of that passage?

The underline shows that you fully understood me.

[size=14pt]Jesus used the Divine Name,[/size] if he didn't he would have been LYING @ John 17:6,26. He told that Name to his Disciples, why? For them not to use it?

Ofcourse, [size=14pt]Jesus what is disciples to use the Divine Name.[/size]

I guess you mean TAUGHT in place of WHAT here---if so this is what we call TYPO ERROR.
@bold sections-where was Jesus used the DIVINE NAME and TAUGHT HIS Followers to use the Name maybe the place has been removed by Trinitarians?

And I will now ask you too, since there's no evidence in the Greek Scriptures where Jesus addresses the Father as Jehovah nor taught His disciples to address Him as Jehovah, why Jehovah Witness interpreted John 17:6, 26 as Jesus declared the Divine name?

Shockingly, can you give me just A SINGLE SCHOLAR who ever interpreted this verses as Jesus talking about The DIVINE NAME?

This is how you will know that your point is baseless, the Divine name has lost its real meaning, pronunciation and actual Alphabet before Jesus Christ came so if Jesus and His followers used the Divine name that would have been and avenue to get the proper pronunciation, meaning and Alphabets but nothing like that was recorded in History.

You don't follow my arguments at all, you care more about 'fights of words'. Tell me, Jerome mentioned that Matthew wrote his book originally in Hebrew; In the New testament books, how many book did Matthew write? - ONE, How many other books were written originally in Greek
? - The majority, hence my phrase " His disciples (plural) who wrote the Christian Greek scripture (another name for New testament books since majority of those books were written originally in greek). I still don't understand how all this relate to the thread.

Were you not the one who brought the issue up to support the disciples using the Divine name? Now you're asking how it related to the topic.

Beside you miss the part where you said Matthew wrote his book in Hebrew which make it ORIGINAL and WRITER whereas you later said The TRANSLATION is original too.

Are you saying that Jesus and his disciples DID NOT USE THE DIVINE NAME? What was their reasons for NOT using the Name their ancestors used so frequently? The superstition?

I thought you have a phone/pc with internet, finding out when the Divine Name was removed from the Bible shouldn't be that hard. Some Bible translation preface section should be of help.

If they used it kindly show us where and where they do so...

Lol...so it's me to search now not you, in fact had been you can yield to your own advice you would've discovered the name was no more in use for some centuries before Jesus came which would have been an opportunity for Jesus to restore the name.

Because you don't follow my Train of thought, even with my typho you should have figured out what I am trying to say, instead you see my typho as me contradicting myself. Also try to read in between the lines, ask questions- why is Riko saying this? It help you to see where I am coming from.

If your post was TYPO that's would have been better BUT YOU OMITTED a WORD which change the meaning of your sentence.

Learn the different between a typo and omission.

1 Like

Re: Two Things You Need To Know As A Jehovah's Witness! by Barnabaseloka(m): 6:02pm On May 12, 2015
RikoduoSennin:

There is a difference between a Title and a name.

God has one Name and Many Titles. His name is Jehovah (Psalm 83:18) or its equivalent in various languages.
P/s can you show me where God says or where it is written that God has one name and others are titles? Have you ever read Psalm 83:18 in different translations in order to have better understanding of the passage?
Psalm 83:18 'That they may know that You, whose name alone is the Lord, Are the Most High over all the earth. (KJV).
'May they know that You alone are the Lord. Supreme ruler over all the earth.' (Goodnews Bible). So this is the only passage you lay your hands on to argue. Go and check other translations and commentaries before you lay claim that God has only one name.
All I am saying is that whichever name you call God and He answers you go on with it.
Re: Two Things You Need To Know As A Jehovah's Witness! by RikoduoSennin(m): 12:06pm On May 13, 2015
Barnabaseloka:
P/s can you show me where God says or where it is written that God has one name and others are titles? Have you ever read Psalm 83:18 in different translations in order to have better understanding of the passage?
Psalm 83:18 'That they may know that You, whose name alone is the Lord, Are the Most High over all the earth. (KJV).
'May they know that You alone are the Lord. Supreme ruler over all the earth.' (Goodnews Bible). So this is the only passage you lay your hands on to argue. Go and check other translations and commentaries before you lay claim that God has only one name.
All I am saying is that whichever name you call God and He answers you go on with it.

Is "The Lord" a Name, do you know the meaning of a Name?

Figure that out.

Do research! YHWH is the divine name.
Re: Two Things You Need To Know As A Jehovah's Witness! by Barnabaseloka(m): 12:30pm On May 13, 2015
RikoduoSennin:

Figure that out.

Why so much condusion? Some said the Lord's name is Yaweh, others said the name is Jehovah. Keep the confusion to yourselves. I call him by any of the names I know Him for as well as 'my Lord' and He answers me. What I need from Him is answers to my prayers and not whether His true name is Yaweh or Jehovah. Every name God bears has its meaning, including Yaweh or Jehova. None of his names is useless, meaningless or less effective than the others. I rest my case.
Re: Two Things You Need To Know As A Jehovah's Witness! by Emusan(m): 10:03pm On May 13, 2015
RikoduoSennin:

Figure that out.

I'm still waiting for you to give me the verse where Jesus and the disciples address the Father as Jehovah.
Re: Two Things You Need To Know As A Jehovah's Witness! by RikoduoSennin(m): 3:30pm On May 23, 2015
Emusan:

I'm still waiting for you to give me the verse where Jesus and the disciples address the Father as Jehovah.

@bold section, did I say anything like that?

I said that Jesus and his disciples USED THE DIVINE NAME IN THEIR EVERYDAY LIFE.

I quoted John 17:6,26 to show you that Jesus made That Divine Name known to his Disciples.

Luke 4:17-21; When Jesus read from the book of Isaiah, He read Isaiah 61:1,2 from a manuscript (most likely from the early Greek Septuagint LXX where the Divine Name occur in its Tetragrammaton form in capital Letters).

In the original Hebrew manuscript, Isaiah 61:1,2 contains not the title "Lord God" but the Divine name in it tetragrammaton form (Please see the preface/forward section of your Bible). So the question remains, While reading Isaiah 61 to his audience, did Jesus shy away from using the Divine Name- thus replacing it with a Title like superstition lead many Jews during the first century to do?

Your answer is @Page 2 of this forum:

Riko: Did Jesus shy away from using the Divine name?

Emusan:

He didn't!

Hebrew 2:11 says "....I will proclaim THY NAME to my brethren....."

Mark 12:36; Jesus quoted from Psalm 110:1 which contains the Tetragrammaton in the original manuscript. Do you think Jesus replaced the divine name there too when he utter those words?
Re: Two Things You Need To Know As A Jehovah's Witness! by RikoduoSennin(m): 3:50pm On May 23, 2015
IF JEHOvah has no root word in Hebrew, I wonder how and where the following names got theirs:

JEHOaddah--- 1 chronicles 8:36
JEHOaddan--- 2 chronicles 25:1
JEHOaddin --- 2 Kings 14:2
JEHOahaz ----- 2 Kings 10:35 etc
JEHOash ------ 2 Kings 11:2 etc
JEHOhanan---- Ezra 10:6 etc
JEHOiachin ----2 Kings 24:6 etc
JEHOiada ----- 1 King 1:8 etc
JEHOiakim -----2 King 23:34 etc
JEHOiarib------1 chronicles 9:10 etc
JEHOnadab --- 2 King 10:15 etc
JEHOnathan----Nehemiah 12:18 etc
JEHOram -----1 King 22:50 etc
JEHOshabeath--- 2 chronicles 22:11
JEHOshaphat----- 2 Samuel 8:16 etc
JEHOsheba-----2 king 11:2
JEHOshua----- 1 chronicles 7:27 etc
JEHOzabad --- 2 king 12:21 etc
JEHOzadak---- 1 Chronicles 6:14 etc

Is there something wrong with these names above?

4 Likes

Re: Two Things You Need To Know As A Jehovah's Witness! by Barnabaseloka(m): 1:17pm On May 24, 2015
@ all JW, how does this make me a better christian and take me to heaven? Or has God changed the criterion for one to be saved which is the most important thing? The way you people hold on to God's only name being Jehovah, and argue about it looks as if without it you will not go to heaven. Read other bible translations to understand the Scriptures.

If someone you don't know has Emeka as name, but comes to you and tells you that he is John, what name will you call him whenever you meet him? Even when people tell you that his name is Emeka, does that make you stop calling him by the name he introduced himself to you as? All that matters is the acknowldgement of his name whether Emeka or John when called. So also is God.
Re: Two Things You Need To Know As A Jehovah's Witness! by Nobody: 10:02pm On May 26, 2015
Barnabaseloka:
@ all JW, how does this make me a better christian and take me to heaven? Or has God changed the criterion for one to be saved which is the most important thing? The way you people hold on to God's only name being Jehovah, and argue about it looks as if without it you will not go to heaven. Read other bible translations to understand the Scriptures.

If someone you don't know has Emeka as name, but comes to you and tells you that he is John, what name will you call him whenever you meet him? Even when people tell you that his name is Emeka, does that make you stop calling him by the name he introduced himself to you as? All that matters is the acknowldgement of his name whether Emeka or John when called. So also is God.

What if I dont call him Emeka and frequently calls Student?
Re: Two Things You Need To Know As A Jehovah's Witness! by RikoduoSennin(m): 6:36am On May 27, 2015
Barnabaseloka:

@bold section, That is your own conclusion not JW's. JW's do read other translations. They have read the Bible and came to see that it is important, infact the Isrealite used it very often- the Divine Name YHWH appears almost 7000 times in the bible, so why should we not use it often too.

Using the name shows you know THe Almighty God just like the Jews did and not the Samaritans. Eg When you are not sure what the name of someone you call your friend is and you continually call him as "Friend", does that sound like you know him?
Re: Two Things You Need To Know As A Jehovah's Witness! by Emusan(m): 9:39am On May 27, 2015
RikoduoSennin:
@bold section, did I say anything like that?

I said that Jesus and his disciples USED THE DIVINE NAME IN THEIR EVERYDAY LIFE.

You didn't say the bold but you said Jesus and His Disciples USED THE DIVINE NAME IN THEIR EVERYDAY LIFE. What does it mean?

Does Jesus EVER CALL THE FATHER Jehovah/Yahweh?

I quoted John 17:6,26 to show you that Jesus made That Divine Name known to his Disciples.

And I ask you how does Jesus make this Divine name known SINCE JESUS NEVER CALLED THE FATHER JEHOVAH/YAHWEH?

Which is very hard for you to provide answer.

Luke 4:17-21; When Jesus read from the book of Isaiah, He read Isaiah 61:1,2 from a manuscript (most likely from the early Greek Septuagint LXX where the Divine Name occur in its Tetragrammaton form in capital Letters).

In the original Hebrew manuscript, [size=14pt]Isaiah 61:1,2 contains not the title "Lord God" but the Divine name in it tetragrammaton form (Please see the preface/forward section of your Bible).[/size] So the question remains, While reading Isaiah 61 to his audience, did Jesus shy away from using the Divine Name- thus replacing it with a Title like superstition lead many Jews during the first century to do?

@bold-that's the lie WT will also feed you people, The usage of Divine name has been lost and REPLACED many century before Jesus Himself was born. I challenge you to provide the evidence that the Divine name was still in use prior to time of Jesus or during the time of Jesus.

Your answer is @Page 2 of this forum:

Show me who provided the answer.

Hebrew 2:11 says "....I will proclaim THY NAME to my brethren....."

Mark 12:36; Jesus quoted from Psalm 110:1 which contains the Tetragrammaton in the original manuscript. Do you think Jesus replaced the divine name there too when he utter those words?

How does Jesus PROCLAIM THIS NAME? Answer my question with SCRIPTURE because I only know TWO OPTIONS how Jesus can do this.

1. That Jesus always called The Father with the Divine name, OR
2. Jesus teaches people to call The Father the Divine name.

So either number you choose Show me with scriptures support.

Lastly, The DIVINE NAME WAS NO MORE IN USE before Jesus was born so if it's necessary for us to use the Divine name IN FACT IT WAS JESUS WHO SUPPOSED TO BROUGHT IT INTO LIGHT.

Look at the chart below.

1 Like

Re: Two Things You Need To Know As A Jehovah's Witness! by Barnabaseloka(m): 10:27am On May 27, 2015
JMAN05:

What if I dont call him Emeka and frequently calls Student?
Did he (Emeka) introduce himself to you as 'Student'? Call him by the name he has introduced himself with (John) and he will acknowledge you.
Re: Two Things You Need To Know As A Jehovah's Witness! by Barnabaseloka(m): 10:39am On May 27, 2015
RikoduoSennin:

@bold section, That is your own conclusion not JW's. JW's do read other translations. They have read the Bible and came to see that it is important, infact the Isrealite used it very often- the Divine Name YHWH appears almost 7000 times in the bible, so why should we not use it often too.

Using the name shows you know THe Almighty God just like the Jews did and not the Samaritans. Eg When you are not sure what the name of someone you call your friend is and you continually call him as "Friend", does that sound like you know him?
I am not here to argue with you. Your friend introduced himself to you as 'John' and to another person 'Emeka'. What name will you call him whenever you see him? If you call him 'friend' he will not answer you b/c he has already told you that his name is John. To the other person, he is Emeka, but to you he is John.
All I know is that He (God) acknowledges and answers anyone who calls Him by any of the names He (God) identifies Himself as in the Scriptures.
Re: Two Things You Need To Know As A Jehovah's Witness! by Emusan(m): 11:19am On May 27, 2015
RikoduoSennin:
@bold section, That is your own conclusion not JW's. JW's do read other translations. They have read the Bible and came to see that it is important, [size=14pt]infact the Isrealite used it very often-[/size] the Divine Name YHWH appears almost 7000 times in the bible,

@bold-this same Israelite believed God has seven name: "The number of divine names that require the scribe's special care is seven: El, Elohim, Adonai, Yhwh, Ehyeh-Asher-Ehyeh, Shaddai, and ?eba'ot." jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=52&letter=N (25/09/2005)

so why should we not use it often too.

Are you an Israelite?
And why did Jesus and His disciples didn't use it often?

Using the name shows you know THe Almighty God just like the Jews did and not the Samaritans.

Are you telling us that Jesus and His disciples don't know God for not using the name?

1 Like

Re: Two Things You Need To Know As A Jehovah's Witness! by Nobody: 3:15pm On May 27, 2015
Barnabaseloka:
Did he (Emeka) introduce himself to you as 'Student'? Call him by the name he has introduced himself with (John) and he will acknowledge you.

Good. So did God introduce Himself as "God" or Lord?
Re: Two Things You Need To Know As A Jehovah's Witness! by Barnabaseloka(m): 3:49pm On May 27, 2015
JMAN05:

Good. So did God introduce Himself as "God" or Lord?
He introduced Himself to people in many ways. He is the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, Sovereign Lord, Lord of hosts, I am, Alpha and Omega, Almighty God, Jehovah Jireh, the Chief Shepherd, the First and the Last, the Chief cornerstone, etc. He does not have a particular name. The names that God reveals to us and the ones we give Him are based on what He does or who He is. Every of His names has reason why it is so.
To one person God is Jehovah Jireh, but to another He is the Lion of the tribe of Judah. He acknowledges all these names. How He reveaals Himself to you is who He is to you. If you call Him by any of these above and even more, He will answer you.
Re: Two Things You Need To Know As A Jehovah's Witness! by Nobody: 6:31pm On May 27, 2015
Barnabaseloka:

He introduced Himself to people in many ways. He is the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, Sovereign Lord, Lord of hosts, I am, Alpha and Omega, Almighty God, Jehovah Jireh, the Chief Shepherd, the First and the Last, the Chief cornerstone, etc. He does not have a particular name. The names that God reveals to us and the ones we give Him are based on what He does or who He is. Every of His names has reason why it is so.
To one person God is Jehovah Jireh, but to another He is the Lion of the tribe of Judah. He acknowledges all these names. How He reveaals Himself to you is who He is to you. If you call Him by any of these above and even more, He will answer you.

We are talking about proper name, not titles. Exod 6:3
Re: Two Things You Need To Know As A Jehovah's Witness! by Barnabaseloka(m): 7:11pm On May 27, 2015
JMAN05:

We are talking about proper name, not titles. Exod 6:3
I do not doubt God's name being 'Lord' or 'Jehovah' (according to you). I acknowledge Him as 'Lord'.

The way you push the matter looks as if I do not call Him 'Lord' but call Him another name, He will not answer me. Must I call Him 'Lord' or 'Yaweh' or 'Jehovah' (according to you) before He hears and answers? By the way, did the apostles or Jesus call Him 'Lord' or 'Jehovah' before He answered them?
Re: Two Things You Need To Know As A Jehovah's Witness! by Nobody: 9:36pm On May 28, 2015
Barnabaseloka:

I do not doubt God's name being 'Lord' or 'Jehovah' (according to you). I acknowledge Him as 'Lord'.

The way you push the matter looks as if I do not call Him 'Lord' but call Him another name, He will not answer me. Must I call Him 'Lord' or 'Yaweh' or 'Jehovah' (according to you) before He hears and answers? By the way, did the apostles or Jesus call Him 'Lord' or 'Jehovah' before He answered them?

The issue is about acknowledging that God has a name and call him by that name, not always using titles.

Both Jesus and his disciples used God's name Jehovah.

You saying according to me. That is the problem, many people like u do not even know the name of God u serve.

Servants of God in the past made use of that name, but today people don't. Well, true xtian still do.
Re: Two Things You Need To Know As A Jehovah's Witness! by Barnabaseloka(m): 10:42pm On May 28, 2015
JMAN05:

The issue is about acknowledging that God has a name and call him by that name, not always using titles.

Both Jesus and his disciples used God's name Jehovah.

You saying according to me. That is the problem, many people like u do not even know the name of God u serve.

Servants of God in the past made use of that name, but today people don't. Well, true xtian still do.
And if I don't want to call Him by His name (Jehovah) but decide to use titles (as you stated), will He still answer me?
Re: Two Things You Need To Know As A Jehovah's Witness! by Nobody: 10:52pm On May 28, 2015
Barnabaseloka:

And if I don't want to call Him by His name (Jehovah) but decide to use titles (as you stated), will He still answer me?

Rom 10:13

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Is This The Future? (photos) / The Dark Knight Shooting -satanic Influence Of The Joker / Can You Cancel Marriage Because Of Church Denominations Difference?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 156
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.