Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,181 members, 7,807,580 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:41 PM

10 Hard Questions You May Be Asked At Your Next Job Interview - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 10 Hard Questions You May Be Asked At Your Next Job Interview (39014 Views)

Top 10 Core Questions You MUST Ask In A Job Interview To Land Your Dream Job / Questions You Can Ask In An Interview / 10 Hard Questions You May Be Asked At Your Next Job Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Hard Questions You May Be Asked At Your Next Job Interview by Symphony007: 12:03pm On Apr 08, 2015
petkoffDrake:
11. Can u lie to defend our companies image?

What should b my reply undecided
Saying yes makes you a lair and no makes you a non team player so in my view this best answer is a tricky non answer like....

in the event of such a situation, I will work closely with my colleagues to come to a solution that will both protect our company and it's integrity.
Re: 10 Hard Questions You May Be Asked At Your Next Job Interview by Youpele52: 12:04pm On Apr 08, 2015
Re: 10 Hard Questions You May Be Asked At Your Next Job Interview by Kay17: 12:05pm On Apr 08, 2015
Standardized Interviews only need standardized answers.
Re: 10 Hard Questions You May Be Asked At Your Next Job Interview by MistarT(m): 12:05pm On Apr 08, 2015
1.What can you do for us that other candidates can't? 2.Why are you leaving your present job? 3.Do you have any questions for me? 4.What was the last project you headed up, and what was its outcome? 5.Give me an example of a time that you felt you went above and beyond the call of duty at work? 6.what is your greatest failure, and what did you learn from it? 7.What irritates you about other people and how do you deal with it? 8.If i were your supervisor and asked you to do something that you disagreed with, what would you do? 9.If you found out your company was doing something against the law ,like fraud what would you do? 10.Give me an example of a time you did something wrong.How did you handle it?
Re: 10 Hard Questions You May Be Asked At Your Next Job Interview by dkingsman82(m): 12:05pm On Apr 08, 2015
10x
Re: 10 Hard Questions You May Be Asked At Your Next Job Interview by dammytosh: 12:11pm On Apr 08, 2015
Yea.

It is definitely a good guide and should be adapted for personal delivery.
Re: 10 Hard Questions You May Be Asked At Your Next Job Interview by Sibrah: 12:13pm On Apr 08, 2015
charix:
Good article.

However employers are getting more up to date on interview practices and choose to frustrate poor interviewees via asking open ended questions. These questions test how fast you think on-the-fly and have no right or wrong answers; they only test personal creativity when faced with unfamiliar challenges.

1. How would you interpret the statement "I'm just a plastic bag floating in the wind" (Reference: American Beauty 1999 film).
2. What animal do you imagine yourself as?
3. Sell this pen (Reference: Wolf of Wall Street 2013 film).

Funny enough these are legitimate interview questions and carry the potential of overwhelming job seekers.
Please which country did u get these kind of interview hint from? i can't imagine it happening in Nigeria. I can't see myself as a any animal other than a human being (The highest animal). Maybe the interviewer is one of those Animal-right obsessed pple and is trying to know what side of the divide of animal rights you belong to.
Re: 10 Hard Questions You May Be Asked At Your Next Job Interview by bosunjohns(m): 12:17pm On Apr 08, 2015
myworldtech:
The journey into the world of employment can take different forms. For some, it can be easy while for others it might be very difficult. Finding that particular job that resonates with you; that brings out the nest in you; that makes you be on top of your game at all time is not child’s play.

Job interviews are critical parts of this journey. In some cases, you might have to appear at different stages of interview – first interview, second interview and third interview. Even more in some cases. The higher the level of the interview process the more difficult the questions you are asked. And your ability to tactfully answer these questions will put you in a vantage position over other interviewees.

It is important to note that apart from the regular interview questions, some other questions may pop up that are not even related to the job you are applying for. Sometimes interviewers do this to see how you can think on the spot and make decisions when you have a short time to decide. And also know that it is one of the ways to separate the wheat from the chaff.

So what are some of the hard questions you may likely be asked at your next interview?

Let us consider 10 of such questions.

1. How did you or will you deal with a non-performing colleague? This is a human relationship question. The essence is to test your ability to work with people and be a team player. Definitely there will be times that colleagues fail in their duties and your own work is affected, but how do you deal with such situation? Tell the panel that you will find out if all is well with the colleague provided everything necessary to do his/her work is available. Tell them you will ask if there is nothing disturbing this colleague and if anything, how may you help so that his/her work and yours does not suffer.

2. Describe your relationship with your last boss or supervisor: The truth is that you can never have a perfect boss or supervisor. There will always be areas where you disagree with him/her. And these disagreements sometimes can be awry and leave much to be desired. However, you don’t have to tell the panel how you hated your boss or supervisor, because doing so will give an impression of how you will be relating with your new boss or supervisor should you be hired.

3. How do you get along with older or younger colleagues? The world of work is dynamic and you will meet different people with different ideologies and age ranges. Your colleagues could be older or younger. Except if there are laid down policies that stipulate how to relate in terms of addressing each other, for example as it is in some corporate organisations where they address each other by their first names, then how you relate and get along becomes critical. Mention that respect is a virtue that you have (hopefully you do), and that giving everyone their dues is how you deal with people, whether they are younger or older.

4. What is your main weakness? This is a tricky question and many interviewees fail it because they unwittingly give answers that focus on their inability to deliver on the job. Remember that always, during interview focus should always be about your strength and that is what you should always project. So in a situation like this tell them you have tendencies to over work. Or that you can’t stand it when targets are not met. This way you have turned ‘weakness into strength’ by giving such reply.

5. What salary do you expect? Many job applicants fail at this stage of the interview. Many make the mistake of talking money at the first stage of the interview. Doing this may project you as being money conscious. Do all you can at this stage to show what value and how you will add that value to the company. But when it gets to the salary part, be careful not to be the first to mention a figure, because you may mention an amount lower than what the company is planning to pay. You should wait and let them give you a range that they are willing to pay and then pick a figure that is slightly above the median amount. But if you are not sure, you can tell them you will get back to them so you can go and do your research to know industry standard as it relates to the job you are applying for. You can do an online search.

6. Where do you see yourself in the next five years? Another very knavish question that requires some level of dexterity in answering. Interviewees who are not skilled will fall into this trap easily. When you answer this question you must show how this job will help you build a career. Don’t say you are going to switch careers and move on to something else that might suggest to the interviewers that you are not committed and focused. Mention where you see yourself in five years and how this job is key to take you there, not the money, but the challenge, experience and opportunity that comes from doing such a job.

7. What kind of a leader are you? A novice might be caught napping here. Someone who does not know that leadership is not about the position but responsibility will goof with this question. Basically, there are two types of leaders (but further breakdown exist), autocratic or democratic. An autocratic leader does not listen to team members. He just issues commands and everyone must obey without questioning. But a democratic leader is one who carries team member along; listens to their views and opinions and then accepts when he makes mistakes and makes amends. He also does not arrogate all the glory to himself but acknowledges the efforts made by other team members. So this question is seeking to find out if you are a team player. So watch your steps before you slip.

8. If you find money or any other valuable within work premises that the owner cannot be traced, what will you do? Before anything, you should know this is a question about your integrity. Can you be trusted is what they want to know (Hopefully you can be). Tell them since the money is not yours and the owner cannot be traced immediately you will hand it over to the company for keeps in case the owner shows up later, or as the case may be, hand it over to the police. And if you have an experience that can back that point give it.

9. Why should I hire you? Many job applicants freeze at this question. Naturally you would have thought that the interviewer should know why you are there facing the panel in the first place, so why the question “Why should I hire you?” You are expected to show the panel that you have the necessary set of skills and experience to deliver on the job. That is why you should have done your homework to know what the job entails and then go there and tell them you are well equipped with the skills and experience you have garnered from past jobs you have done.

10. Why do you want to work here? “Why do you want to work here” is similar to “Why should I hire you”, but they are not the same. At this question of why you want to work here, you are simply to tell the panel of your admiration for the organisation. Point out some noble projects they do, some CSR projects, how they treat their staff with high regard and make working environment conducive and how their activities are helping to make life better for people and so on.

There you have ten of some of the hard interview questions that you may be asked during your next interview. Remember that the interview session is not primarily set up to look for ways to disqualify you, but for you to proof to the interviewer that you are qualified. I wish you all the best at your next interview.

http://www.nigerianbulletin.com/threads/10-hard-questions-you-may-be-asked-at-your-next-job-interview.109899/
Re: 10 Hard Questions You May Be Asked At Your Next Job Interview by pomsky: 12:18pm On Apr 08, 2015
Dtrader1:
I can't answer all these questions without thinking for a moment

[size=20pt]......that's good, thinking is allowed, but don't think for too long![/size]

1 Like

Re: 10 Hard Questions You May Be Asked At Your Next Job Interview by kizzykeziah: 12:20pm On Apr 08, 2015
I was at the US embassy one day like that when this guy was asked his profession and he said he was into marketing. Next thing, he was told to convince the interviewer to buy a good from him. He started well enough and was told to keep going without the interviewer's attention on him.

The poor guy began to sweat notwithstanding the air conditioned hall in less than five minutes. And I really felt a little sorry for him.

What would be the perfect tact he could have used in that situation?
Re: 10 Hard Questions You May Be Asked At Your Next Job Interview by pomsky: 12:24pm On Apr 08, 2015
Akynzodeighbour:
If it comes to salary.... Say the highest figure you can think of, no time at all, if its not about the money its not making sense

[size=20pt]....are you employed and did you go through an interview?
Because if i were in a panel of interviewers, and you said this,
then you just sacked yourself before being employed![/size]
Re: 10 Hard Questions You May Be Asked At Your Next Job Interview by nwadiuko1(m): 12:25pm On Apr 08, 2015
petkoffDrake:
11. Can u lie to defend our companies image?

What should b my reply undecided
anwer*** sir/ ma I don't think there l be any need for that given the fact that the company itself thrives on honesty***

3 Likes

Re: 10 Hard Questions You May Be Asked At Your Next Job Interview by nwadiuko1(m): 12:26pm On Apr 08, 2015
Akynzodeighbour:
If it comes to salary.... Say the highest figure you can think of, no time at all, if its not about the money its not making sense
not so bro,......just say *** sir/ma, I believe the company has an already existing salary structure which hopefully I can fit in****
Re: 10 Hard Questions You May Be Asked At Your Next Job Interview by Infoay: 12:29pm On Apr 08, 2015
Ok. Thanks Op
Re: 10 Hard Questions You May Be Asked At Your Next Job Interview by nwadiuko1(m): 12:30pm On Apr 08, 2015
kizzykeziah:
I was at the US embassy one day like that when this guy was asked his profession and he said he was into marketing. Next thing, he was told to convince the interviewer to buy a good from him. He started well enough and was told to keep going without the interviewer's attention on him.

The poor guy began to sweat notwithstanding the air conditioned hall in less than five minutes. And I really felt a little sorry for him.

What would be the perfect tact he could have used in that situation?
em for tell d guy to buy 2 and get 1 free na

1 Like

Re: 10 Hard Questions You May Be Asked At Your Next Job Interview by Kay17: 12:32pm On Apr 08, 2015
pomsky:

[size=20pt]....are you employed and did you go through an interview?
Because if i were in a panel of interviewers, and you said this,
then you just sacked yourself before being employed![/size]

But money is an issue! When you hire labour, you would want to know the quality and the cost/price.

Standardized interviews, however do not warrant honest answers; they are meaningless exercises.
Re: 10 Hard Questions You May Be Asked At Your Next Job Interview by pomsky: 12:40pm On Apr 08, 2015
Kay17:

But money is an issue! When you hire labour, you would want to know the quality and the cost/price.

Standardized interviews, however do not warrant honest answers; they are meaningless exercises.

[size=20pt]
.......i know the above. i reacted to "the highest possible figure that you can think of"
Infact, that just makes a mockery of the whole interview![/size]
Re: 10 Hard Questions You May Be Asked At Your Next Job Interview by ElziLaz(m): 12:47pm On Apr 08, 2015
Interview questions are applied in nature. It's important to know how and where to make the necessary application. [color=#550000][/color]
Re: 10 Hard Questions You May Be Asked At Your Next Job Interview by ednut1(m): 12:47pm On Apr 08, 2015
classic stanbic ibtc shocker, tell us something about u not in ur CV, u go first freeze afta cramming interview questions online angry

2 Likes

Re: 10 Hard Questions You May Be Asked At Your Next Job Interview by ElziLaz(m): 12:48pm On Apr 08, 2015
Interview questions are applied in nature. It's important to know how and where to make the necessary application.
Re: 10 Hard Questions You May Be Asked At Your Next Job Interview by Nobody: 12:50pm On Apr 08, 2015
It baffles me how all of this can be averted by man know man.. cheesy
Re: 10 Hard Questions You May Be Asked At Your Next Job Interview by Chizzy20(f): 12:51pm On Apr 08, 2015
op nyc1...
Re: 10 Hard Questions You May Be Asked At Your Next Job Interview by NotNairalandi(m): 1:01pm On Apr 08, 2015
RedBenson:

U don start abi?
lolzzzzzzz
Re: 10 Hard Questions You May Be Asked At Your Next Job Interview by agitator: 1:03pm On Apr 08, 2015
Tricky

Question 1

You are driving along in your car on a wild, stormy night,
it's raining heavily, when suddenly you pass by a bus stop, and you see
three people waiting for a bus:

An old lady who looks as if she is about to die.
An old friend who once saved your life.
The perfect partner you have been dreaming about.

Which one would you choose to offer a ride to, knowing very well that
there could only be one passenger in your car?

This is a moral/ethical dilemma that was once actually used as part of a
job application.

* You could pick up the old lady, because she is going to die, and thus
you should save her first;
* or you could take the old friend because he once saved your life, and
this would be the perfect chance to ! pay him back.
* However, you may never be able to find your perfect mate again.

The candidate who was hired (out of 200 applicants) had no trouble
coming up with his answer. Guess what was his answer?

He simply answered:

"I would give the car keys to my Old friend and let him take the lady to
the hospital. I would stay behind and wait for the bus with the partner
of my dreams."

Sometimes, we gain more if we are able to give up our stubborn thought
limitations. Never forget to "Think Outside of the Box." angry angry angry

Question 2

What will you do if I run away with your sister?"

The candidate who was selected answered " I will not get a better match
for my sister than you sir" grin grin grin

Question 3

Interviewer (to a student girl candidate) - What is one
morning you woke up & found that you were pregnant.

Girl - I will be very excited and take an off, to celebrate with my
husband.

Normally an unmarried girl will be shocked to hear this, but she managed
it well. Why I should think it in the wrong way, she said later when
asked. shocked shocked shocked

Question 4

Interviewer: He ordered a cup of coffee for the candidate.
Coffee arrived kept before the candidate, then he asked what is before
you?

Candidate: Instantly replied "Tea"

He got selected.

You know how and why did he say "TEA" when he knows very well that
coffee was kept before.

(Answer: The question was "What is before you (U - alphabet) Reply was
"TEA" ( T - alphabet)

Alphabet "T" was before Alphabet "U"

Question 5

The interviewer asked to the candidate "This is your last
question of the interview. Please tell me the exact position of the
center of this table where u have kept your files."

Candidate confidently put one of his finger at some point at the table
and told that this was the central point at the table. Interviewer asked
how did u get to know that this being the central point of this table,
then he answers quickly that sir u r not likely to ask any more
question, as it was the last question that u promised to ask.....

And hence, he was selected as because of his quick-wittedness. cool cool cool

"THINK OUT OF BOX"

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Hard Questions You May Be Asked At Your Next Job Interview by Nobody: 1:19pm On Apr 08, 2015
thanks,thanks! :-
Re: 10 Hard Questions You May Be Asked At Your Next Job Interview by Donmichaelz(m): 1:20pm On Apr 08, 2015
I went for a job interview and they didnt ask me anything for 5 minute, den d Md said

MD- how many times should u sweep ur house?

Me - I was amazed at first then i told him as long as it is dirty, these means u sweep once if it is dirty once, u sweep 100 times if it is dirty a 100 times,

MD- u think u are a genius unh,or some kind of talent or something ,

Me - no sir, dats y I work hard, because, hardwork is better than mere talent..

MD- if I should say no what will u Do,

Me- smile, I will Wait For u to reconsider, and expect ur call

MD- why, Co's u are mark zukenberg,?

Me- no sir,,

MD- I saw ur credentials,and the only thing special was the logo on ur certificate,(university) what is the best building design u ever did,

Me- the next one

and that's how I got the job, with these bizarre question, and a physco boss (Italian)
Re: 10 Hard Questions You May Be Asked At Your Next Job Interview by nephemmy(m): 1:35pm On Apr 08, 2015
Nice
Re: 10 Hard Questions You May Be Asked At Your Next Job Interview by stanisbaratheon: 1:40pm On Apr 08, 2015
wow
Re: 10 Hard Questions You May Be Asked At Your Next Job Interview by ZINSOU(m): 1:46pm On Apr 08, 2015
Nice one
Re: 10 Hard Questions You May Be Asked At Your Next Job Interview by wasmilebags: 1:47pm On Apr 08, 2015
myworldtech:
The journey into the world of employment can take different forms. For some, it can be easy while for others it might be very difficult. Finding that particular job that resonates with you; that brings out the nest in you; that makes you be on top of your game at all time is not child’s play.

Job interviews are critical parts of this journey. In some cases, you might have to appear at different stages of interview – first interview, second interview and third interview. Even more in some cases. The higher the level of the interview process the more difficult the questions you are asked. And your ability to tactfully answer these questions will put you in a vantage position over other interviewees.

It is important to note that apart from the regular interview questions, some other questions may pop up that are not even related to the job you are applying for. Sometimes interviewers do this to see how you can think on the spot and make decisions when you have a short time to decide. And also know that it is one of the ways to separate the wheat from the chaff.

So what are some of the hard questions you may likely be asked at your next interview?

Let us consider 10 of such questions.

1. How did you or will you deal with a non-performing colleague? This is a human relationship question. The essence is to test your ability to work with people and be a team player. Definitely there will be times that colleagues fail in their duties and your own work is affected, but how do you deal with such situation? Tell the panel that you will find out if all is well with the colleague provided everything necessary to do his/her work is available. Tell them you will ask if there is nothing disturbing this colleague and if anything, how may you help so that his/her work and yours does not suffer.

2. Describe your relationship with your last boss or supervisor: The truth is that you can never have a perfect boss or supervisor. There will always be areas where you disagree with him/her. And these disagreements sometimes can be awry and leave much to be desired. However, you don’t have to tell the panel how you hated your boss or supervisor, because doing so will give an impression of how you will be relating with your new boss or supervisor should you be hired.

3. How do you get along with older or younger colleagues? The world of work is dynamic and you will meet different people with different ideologies and age ranges. Your colleagues could be older or younger. Except if there are laid down policies that stipulate how to relate in terms of addressing each other, for example as it is in some corporate organisations where they address each other by their first names, then how you relate and get along becomes critical. Mention that respect is a virtue that you have (hopefully you do), and that giving everyone their dues is how you deal with people, whether they are younger or older.

4. What is your main weakness? This is a tricky question and many interviewees fail it because they unwittingly give answers that focus on their inability to deliver on the job. Remember that always, during interview focus should always be about your strength and that is what you should always project. So in a situation like this tell them you have tendencies to over work. Or that you can’t stand it when targets are not met. This way you have turned ‘weakness into strength’ by giving such reply.

5. What salary do you expect? Many job applicants fail at this stage of the interview. Many make the mistake of talking money at the first stage of the interview. Doing this may project you as being money conscious. Do all you can at this stage to show what value and how you will add that value to the company. But when it gets to the salary part, be careful not to be the first to mention a figure, because you may mention an amount lower than what the company is planning to pay. You should wait and let them give you a range that they are willing to pay and then pick a figure that is slightly above the median amount. But if you are not sure, you can tell them you will get back to them so you can go and do your research to know industry standard as it relates to the job you are applying for. You can do an online search.

6. Where do you see yourself in the next five years? Another very knavish question that requires some level of dexterity in answering. Interviewees who are not skilled will fall into this trap easily. When you answer this question you must show how this job will help you build a career. Don’t say you are going to switch careers and move on to something else that might suggest to the interviewers that you are not committed and focused. Mention where you see yourself in five years and how this job is key to take you there, not the money, but the challenge, experience and opportunity that comes from doing such a job.

7. What kind of a leader are you? A novice might be caught napping here. Someone who does not know that leadership is not about the position but responsibility will goof with this question. Basically, there are two types of leaders (but further breakdown exist), autocratic or democratic. An autocratic leader does not listen to team members. He just issues commands and everyone must obey without questioning. But a democratic leader is one who carries team member along; listens to their views and opinions and then accepts when he makes mistakes and makes amends. He also does not arrogate all the glory to himself but acknowledges the efforts made by other team members. So this question is seeking to find out if you are a team player. So watch your steps before you slip.

8. If you find money or any other valuable within work premises that the owner cannot be traced, what will you do? Before anything, you should know this is a question about your integrity. Can you be trusted is what they want to know (Hopefully you can be). Tell them since the money is not yours and the owner cannot be traced immediately you will hand it over to the company for keeps in case the owner shows up later, or as the case may be, hand it over to the police. And if you have an experience that can back that point give it.

9. Why should I hire you? Many job applicants freeze at this question. Naturally you would have thought that the interviewer should know why you are there facing the panel in the first place, so why the question “Why should I hire you?” You are expected to show the panel that you have the necessary set of skills and experience to deliver on the job. That is why you should have done your homework to know what the job entails and then go there and tell them you are well equipped with the skills and experience you have garnered from past jobs you have done.

10. Why do you want to work here? “Why do you want to work here” is similar to “Why should I hire you”, but they are not the same. At this question of why you want to work here, you are simply to tell the panel of your admiration for the organisation. Point out some noble projects they do, some CSR projects, how they treat their staff with high regard and make working environment conducive and how their activities are helping to make life better for people and so on.

There you have ten of some of the hard interview questions that you may be asked during your next interview. Remember that the interview session is not primarily set up to look for ways to disqualify you, but for you to proof to the interviewer that you are qualified. I wish you all the best at your next interview.

http://www.nigerianbulletin.com/threads/10-hard-questions-you-may-be-asked-at-your-next-job-interview.109899/
God bless you
Re: 10 Hard Questions You May Be Asked At Your Next Job Interview by donephi(m): 1:55pm On Apr 08, 2015
Wow! Thanks
I will keep this in mind
Re: 10 Hard Questions You May Be Asked At Your Next Job Interview by Mbkite(m): 2:10pm On Apr 08, 2015
Same list coming up time afta time. Niggas stil yet unemployed!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Cleaner's Son Gets Employed At Her Workplace (Photo) / Federal Road Safety Commission (frsc) Aptitude Test / 10 Signs That Witches And Wizards Followed You To A Job Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.