Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,192 members, 7,807,645 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:49 PM

Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 - Computers (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 (55149 Views)

See The Best Internet Data Plans / Bundles From MTN Etisalat Airtel And Globacom / Two Submarine Cables- Mainone And Glo1, Yet Poor Internet! / Glo-1 Submarine Cable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by flyuche(m): 10:42pm On Aug 31, 2010
@tomcat. thanks
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by flyuche(m): 10:06am On Sep 01, 2010
goggs:

@flyuche
Not from where i am browsing. Its still less than 20KBps on their 3g network. Which press release are u talking about? Any link? Thanks

tomcat:

for a proper speed test you need to use a download manager and go to a website with huge capacity like nvidia.com and download a driver, whatever your steady speed is it will be your download,

with a download manager the speed becomes something else. here i was downloading virtualbox 3.2.8

Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 7:57am On Sep 02, 2010
forget that your post is off point on this thread, this sounds like stealing. And you call some people selfish? I would rather be selfish than a thief. The later can land u in jail while the former will not.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Ifedisky(m): 2:59pm On Sep 02, 2010
smiley smiley smiley smileyGlo1 was finally launched yesterday. Fingers crossed.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by netotse(m): 3:09pm On Sep 02, 2010
Ifedisky:

smiley smiley smiley smileyGlo1 was finally launched yesterday. Fingers crossed.
where did you hear that gist?
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by naijatoday: 4:31pm On Sep 02, 2010
Ifedisky:

It has not launched oh!!!!!!!!!

http://www.gloworld.com/latestnews1.asp

The business community in Lagos on Tuesday had a feel of the magical possibilities of the Glo 1 international submarine cable as Globacom hosted them to a forum as[b] part of pre-launch[/b] activities for the facility.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by naijatoday: 4:35pm On Sep 02, 2010
goggs:

forget that your post is off point on this thread, this sounds like stealing. And you call some people selfish? I would rather be selfish than a thief. The later can land u in jail while the former will not.

I think it is a scam
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Ifedisky(m): 11:18pm On Sep 02, 2010
naijatoday:

It has not launched oh!!!!!!!!!

http://www.gloworld.com/latestnews1.asp

The business community in Lagos on Tuesday had a feel of the magical possibilities of the Glo 1 international submarine cable as Globacom hosted them to a forum as[b] part of pre-launch[/b] activities for the facility.
Jumped the gun didn't I? My apologies.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:50pm On Sep 03, 2010
read the business page of guardian newspaper of thursday september 2 2010

it says Globacom $600 mill facility to crash telecoms rates by 40%

does that mean 10k subscription will now be 6k?

pls someone good in maths do the rest. . . . . . . , . . . . .

MTN may be in trouble now. . . . . . . . . hope they have had enough of extreme ripping off of customers and ready to be sane.

on the down side, if prices do get slashed, we can expect the new rates to be permanent for the next 10 years. since glo brought per sec and slightly reduced rates, the prices for calls have been static.!!!!

father where art thy face ooooo, this bleeding is out of hand
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by netotse(m): 2:07pm On Sep 03, 2010
4llerbuntu:

read the business page of guardian newspaper of thursday september 2 2010

it says Globacom $600 mill facility to crash telecoms rates by 40%

does that mean 10k subscription will now be 6k?

pls someone good in maths do the rest. . . . . . . , . . . . .

MTN may be in trouble now. . . . . . . . . hope they have had enough of extreme ripping off of customers and ready to be sane.

on the down side, if prices do get slashed, we can expect the new rates to be permanent for the next 10 years. since glo brought per sec and slightly reduced rates, the prices for calls have been static.!!!!

father where art thy face ooooo, this bleeding is out of hand
you don forget that these days the newspapers specialize in publishing press releases word for word abi?. . .i no believe anything until i see the physical manifestation. . .
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 10:03pm On Sep 03, 2010
supported
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by sauwal: 8:17am On Sep 05, 2010
Today marks exactly one year after glo1 Cable landed the shores of Nigeria,and Nigerians were then told that commisioning will be done in six weeks,but upto to this moment no show.The sister cable Main one now live and working within 18 months from its inception while glo1 is now over 4yrs and still counting, i hope it is not a 419 affair.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by naijatoday: 2:16am On Sep 06, 2010
The journey to Glo 1 has not been an easy one, says Group COO, Globacom, Mohammed Jameel, who says the company had initially transferred all international traffic on its mobile phone business, Glo mobile, to conduct technical and other “parameter” checks on th cable linking London with Lagos and landing points across West Africa and Africa.

Glo 1 cable will not have a monopoly of the new market for bandwidth driven by new investments by private sector players like rival Main One cable Company, promoters of Main One cable. Also due to join the league is WACS, the cable prject underway that is due to go live by June 2011 counting investors like MTN Group, the South African owners of MTN Nigeria, which currently leads the mobile phone market in Nigeria.
Ambition does not run dry in the house of Globacom as the SNO has said it also has its eyes set on Glo 2, its second cable link proposed to link to South Africa.

Meanwhile, Globacom believes that a new change of play is underway with its cable which it reckons will place it competitively against rival service providers in the telecoms market.

According to Jameel, Globacom has the benefit of its wholly-owned cable and the single ownership edge it provides in offering faster and reliable services as against rival multiple operators and consortium that depend on multiple parties.

Globacom reckons that it edge also lies in an extensive last mile network leverages t to deliver services across the country.

Beyond Nigeria, it is hoping to reach across West and North Africa, an edge it believes that Glo 1 will give over rival operators who may depend on other links.

Jameel says that company played the guinea pig by first transferring all its international traffic to Glo 1 to conduct quality assurance checks on the link, a development that he says was responsible for the long wait in announcing the market delivery of the submarine cable to third parties.

Glo 1 is now ready to take to market as it is now 100 per cent ready to offer service as it is “now 100 per cent live” for commercial rollout to customers, he says adding that over the next few weeks, the company plans a roadshow to customers across the country to unveil the potentials of the cable for socio-economic development.

Within the next fortnight, Globacom wll start putting commercial traffic on Glo 1 and has signed an exclusive video conferencing deal with US-based Polycom.

Globacom plans to become an aggregator of traffic across West Africa and possibly Africa and also eyes “huge data centre” plans in Nigeria, says Jameel underscoring that Adenuga, the visionary Chairman of the company already has a blueprint for the build-out of Glo 2 into South Africa.

http://www.technologytimesng.com/2010/09/04/no-one-else-can-do-this-says-adenuga-of-glo-1-submarine-cable-3/

This is a nice article from the event. To read the full article, click the link
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:20am On Sep 06, 2010
YAWN. . . .
what else is new? we have been hearing this since december last year
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 3:36pm On Sep 06, 2010
bigger YAWN!!!!! This glo press story is begining to sound like a scratched cd plate playing a loop over and over again. In todays punch, jameel was quoted as saying glo1 will be launched in october. This was the same paper in early august quoted jameel as saying glo 1 will be tested mid august and launched on 1st september.

Well one fact remains, no operator has globacoms fiber network aka last mile infrastructure. When they get there acts together, they could be the network to beat on the account of this infrastructure.

Meanwhile MTN's WACS is moving on steadily with 2nd quarter as completion target
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by flyuche(m): 8:51pm On Sep 06, 2010
wait a minute guys. what about main one that has launched with etisalat, starcomms and MTN on board? nothing seems to be happening on these networks in terms of speed not to talk of tariff reduction. in fact starcomms has gotten so bad i had to throw the modem away. embarassed
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by sauwal: 10:46pm On Sep 06, 2010
Globacom has again shifted the goal post for glo1 to October.
Source:today's, punch newspaper
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 11:03pm On Sep 06, 2010
wait a minute guys. what about main one that has launched with etisalat, starcomms and MTN on board? nothing seems to be happening on these networks in terms of speed not to talk of tariff reduction. in fact starcomms has gotten so bad i had to throw the modem away. 

Well one fact remains, no operator has globacoms fiber network aka last mile infrastructure. When they get there acts together, they could be the network to beat on the account of this infrastructure.

The absence of fibre links for some providers between Lagos and the rest of the country will mean that improved services will be restricted to the Lagos area for now. This, I think, is particularly true of Starcomms and etisalat. They will likely redirect their Lagos traffic (which is the bulk in terms of demand) through the undersea cables and for us in the rest of the country it will likely be access through slow satellite links. And the result is that costs are unlikely to come down soon and they will face harsh competition from Providers that have such links like glo and MTN.

NCC licensed some long distance carriers like NEPSKOM and Alheri Engineering. They were supposed provide the sort of cross country links that companies like starcomms and etisalat can buy capacity from. It will save them money as the infrastructure will be shared and maintained by the carrier company. As far as i know NEPSKOM is barely existing, Dangote (Alheri) strung some fibre between Lagos and Benin 2 years and now  cement business seem to be the most on his mind.  

Thats where glo has an advantage. It has fibre links from Lagos through, ibadan, Abuja, Kaduna, Kano. I hear also it runs from Abuja to Jos, Markurdi Yola and maiduguri. Dunno much about the coverage in the east sha. If and when they get their act together and truly launch, they can easily deploy this bandwidth further than most  providers cos of these cables. So that's why when glo made the announcement about their cable, people paid attention cos of this potential to reach inland but alas, information management is not their strong point hence the back and forth story telling and subsequent intense frustration we all feel.

As for MTN in Abuja, they are the network to beat. I can attest to the fact that their speeds have improved vastly. On browsing alone I get 1.5mbps on the average, when downlowning using accelerators i get up to 2.6mbps. My only gripe is that the data allowance is so expensive and runs out so fast. They also have extensive fiber network and they appear to be using them. They are really not much noise makers when it comes to infrastructure investments. I heard from a contractor of theirs the other day that MTN wants to incorporate Universities in their metro fibre link project to provide internet access to institutions in towns where their fibre passes. Now if its true, its fantastic and yet MTN may just keep quiet and spring a surprise. Imagine the bandwidth market in just half of Nigerian Universities.

If it were glo, they would be at the rooftops talking about what is not yet on ground using annoying superlative terms. MTN is annoying expensive, but action is better than noise. I'll go for expensive action other than cheap noise.

I hope glo learns to keep their mouths shut and their hands busy. I hope they launch sooner than later, cos the prospects are there
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by netotse(m): 11:15pm On Sep 06, 2010
goggs:

The absence of fibre links for some providers between Lagos and the rest of the country will mean that improved services will be restricted to the Lagos area for now. This, I think, is particularly true of Starcomms and etisalat. They will likely redirect their Lagos traffic (which is the bulk in terms of demand) through the undersea cables and for us in the rest of the country it will likely be access through slow satellite links. And the result is that costs are unlikely to come down soon and they will face harse competition from Providers that have such links like glo and MTN.

NCC licensed some long distance carriers like NEPSKOM and Alheri Engineering. They were supposed provide the sort of cross country links that companies like starcomms and etisalat can buy capacity from. It will save them money as the infrastructure will be shared and maintained by the carrier company. As far as i know NEPSKOM is all barely existing, Dangote (Alheri) strung some fibre between Lagos and Benin 2 years and now  cement business seem to be the most on his mind.  

Thats where glo has an advantage. It has fibre links from Lagos through, ibadan, Abuja, Kaduna, Kano. I hear also it runs from Abuja to Jos, Markurdi Yola and maiduguri. Dunno much about the coverage in the east sha. If and when they get their act together and truly launch, they can easily deploy this bandwidth further than most  providers cos of these cables. So that's why when glo made the announcement about their cable, people paid attention cos of this potential to reach inland but alas, information management is not their strong point hence the back and forth story telling and subsequent intense frustration we all feel.

As for MTN in Abuja, they are the network to beat. I can attest to the fact that their speeds have improved vastly. On browsing alone I get 1.5mbps on the average, when downlowning using accelerators i get up to 2.6mbps. My only gripe is that the data allowance is so expensive and runs out so fast. They also have extensive fiber network and they appear to be using them. They are really not much noise makers when it comes to infrastructure investments. I heard from a contractor of theirs the other day that MTN wants to incorporate Universities in their metro fibre link project to provide internet access to institutions in towns where their fibre passes. Now if its true, its fantastic and yet MTN may just keep quiet and spring a surprise. Imagine the bandwidth market in just half of Nigerian Universities.

If it were glo, they would be at the rooftops talking about what is not yet on ground using annoying superlative terms. MTN is annoying expensive, but action is better than noise. I'll go for expensive action other than cheap noise.

I hope glo learns to keep their mouths shut and their hands busy. I hope they launch sooner than later, cos the prospects are there
@goggs
PHCN has fibre optic cable attached to it's 330kV transmission lines(and some 132kV) as skywire, in the north the cables are leased to 3phase telecoms(cornelius adebayo) in the south dancom (dangote) i hear one of them just awarded a contract to build 700 base stations(and an NOC i think) they can be used to carry the traffic to different parts of the country(i think they are already being used sef, i'm not so sure), the downside is that once in a while, the cables might be vandalized.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by flyuche(m): 11:36pm On Sep 06, 2010
MTN, glo have been using their fibre network to carry voice traffic like forever.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by naijatoday: 1:04am On Sep 07, 2010
goggs:

The absence of fibre links for some providers between Lagos and the rest of the country will mean that improved services will be restricted to the Lagos area for now. This, I think, is particularly true of Starcomms and etisalat. They will likely redirect their Lagos traffic (which is the bulk in terms of demand) through the undersea cables and for us in the rest of the country it will likely be access through slow satellite links. And the result is that costs are unlikely to come down soon and they will face harsh competition from Providers that have such links like glo and MTN.

NCC licensed some long distance carriers like NEPSKOM and Alheri Engineering. They were supposed provide the sort of cross country links that companies like starcomms and etisalat can buy capacity from. It will save them money as the infrastructure will be shared and maintained by the carrier company. As far as i know NEPSKOM is barely existing, Dangote (Alheri) strung some fibre between Lagos and Benin 2 years and now  cement business seem to be the most on his mind.  

If it were glo, they would be at the rooftops talking about what is not yet on ground using annoying superlative terms. [b]MTN is annoying expensive, but action is better than noise. [/b]I'll go for expensive action other than cheap noise.

This is why i like MTN they do not go around making too much noise
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by lumzi23: 2:18am On Sep 07, 2010
goggs:

I did not know that MTN also had a local fibre network. That gives me a bit of hope. Still I hope glo gets their act together too. The more the better I say.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by tomcat: 8:13am On Sep 07, 2010
MTN has fibre optic from old VGC, they bought VGC and they have expanded that network.

The problem is that they are extremely expensive for their ADSL internet,

as far as the main one and 3g concerns, it doesn't look like is working everywhere, only last night i tried glo, etisalat and mtn but max speed i got was 180kbit. I can confirm though that MTN and Etisalat are on main one, or in submarine cable in any case,
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by naijatoday: 3:37pm On Sep 07, 2010
This question might sound silly, but  undecided undecided undecided

the telecom companies can connect their 3G (mobile) to the submarine cables, right ?
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 4:22pm On Sep 07, 2010
@netotse
@goggs
PHCN has fibre optic cable attached to it's 330kV transmission lines(and some 132kV) as skywire, in the north the cables are leased to 3phase telecoms(cornelius adebayo) in the south dancom (dangote) i hear one of them just awarded a contract to build 700 base stations(and an NOC i think) they can be used to carry the traffic to different parts of the country(i think they are already being used sef, i'm not so sure), the downside is that once in a while, the cables might be vandalized.

Thanks for the update. Yes I now remember 3phase telecom. I don't know if they carry traffic sha. I hope they do cos it'll take good access further up country.

@ naijatoday
his question might sound silly, but

the telecom companies can connect their 3G (mobile) to the submarine cables, right ?

I dont think any question is silly.

Plain and straight forward yes to ur question. I have a feeling you are trying to get to something, so out with it cool
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by samir101ng(m): 12:42am On Sep 09, 2010
Hi Guys,

i can now conclusively confirm that Etisalat DOESN'T HAVE AN UNLIMITED DATA PLAN. Nigeria ! Some corporations are just scammers without the fear of God, just out to con people out of their hard earned money. All 3 plans on the Etisalat Easynet Time plan have bandwidth limits attached to them without Etisalat informing their customers either on their websites or at the Etisalat shops. Here's the breakdown:-

1. Daily Plan N500 50MB
2. Night Time & Weekends N5000 3GB
3. Unlimited (yea right) N10000 3GB

So, please inform people about this.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by samir101ng(m): 12:52am On Sep 09, 2010
goggs:

Chairman !!!

I have been to each of those states and more and glo doesn't even have a common EDGE network to prove talk less of 3G+. Their network is slow and subscriber base is low. glo in the North especially core northern states (Katsina, Maiduguri, Bauchi, Yobe, Gombe etc) is a joke. Where are the fibre links that they are talking about ? Bunch of lies. The only place that i can confirm glo has fibre links is on the Abuja-Kaduna-Zaria-Kano expressway. Even those are being vandalised as we speak. Please glo should stop deceiving people abeg.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by puskin: 3:40am On Sep 09, 2010
All these networks just have one cunning something attached to them and their services.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Djcn: 11:58am On Sep 09, 2010
samir101ng:

Hi Guys,

i can now conclusively confirm that Etisalat DOESN'T HAVE AN UNLIMITED DATA PLAN.
1. Daily Plan N500 50MB
2. Night Time & Weekends N5000 3GB
3. Unlimited (yea right) N10000 3GB

So, please inform people about this.

Thanks for realizing this.

Actually Glo has the best offers for now giving 5GB for 10k while others offers 3GB
Users of glo 3g in Lagos and PH should experience an improvement as the test run is on on the glo1. For those in Benin u might not be able to connect for now due to fibre cuts around ore area.

It is true everyone is clamouring for the launch of glo 1 which has unforshunately been delayed until now. while main one is up and running, it seems not to exist because the impact is not been felt. The prices is still on the high side and the impact is yet to be felt.
Glo1 will actually change all of this.
@ samir, True in the north glo doesn't ve 3g services except 4 abj but the edge services is ok which i used through out my stay in the north west and north east.
MTN might be better but they surely have all it takes to give Nigeria a world class telcoms service, a ride with their service in SA will surely convince u that they are ripping us nigerians (and we pay higher).
And that's where glo come in, they serve to check and balance the excesses of MTN. Now did u recall how much MTN started selling Modems and what glo did to bring down d cost? Same applies to Sim cards, BB services and call rates, 3g and just name it.
True while glo may not be giving us the best of services, they surely are relevant in the market and we do hope there ll be a remarkable change come October
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by netotse(m): 1:20pm On Sep 09, 2010
@djcn
your reasoning makes sense, i for don dey your side 100% if not for the way that these glo people have been shifting the goalpost on this glo1 launch thingy, are we fools? why cant they come out with a date and stick to it?

i'll try glo 3g in abj and see wassup with it sha
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by tomcat: 2:11pm On Sep 09, 2010
glo 3g is not on glo-1, at least it wasn't a few minutes back when i checked,

glo 3g has good speeds at least in Ikoyi, however, it is still satellite backbone and not Glo-1,

on the contrary MTN is using submarine fibre optic backbone (maiybe main one?).

etisalat cannot confirm what they are using as i can only use their EDGE network as i cannot find their HSDPA if indeed they have one,
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by netotse(m): 3:34pm On Sep 09, 2010
@tomcat
i know just wanted to use it to benchmark for when they finally deploy the glo1

P.S. how can you tell when a company is using subsea cables? i know you said from the traceroute or speedtest but i still dont get how you do it. . .

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (20) (Reply)

Let's Have Your "Computers Section" Complaints/Suggestions/Observations Here! / Let Me Teach U How To Increase Download Speed Of Utorrent By 1000% / NIIT Na Rubbish

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.