Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,129 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:29 AM

Weave Is The Death Of African Beauty - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Weave Is The Death Of African Beauty (934 Views)

African Beauty / Yorubas Of African Non Nigerian Descent / 18+ Unclad Photos Of African Women Slaves From The Past. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Weave Is The Death Of African Beauty by Jbenue: 9:53am On Apr 08, 2015
It is time to end all this stupid fakery black women. Having lived in Europe for the past decade I can tell you the single most embarrassing thing I see on a daily basis is a black woman walking down the road with a shiny plastic atrocity on her head. We should encourage our young women to turn away from this non-sense and go back to our Natural God given hair. In recent times the movement for natural hair is gathering pace with the likes of the Beautiful Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie wearing what her mamma gave her. It is the biggest sign of an inferiority complex to wearing what is not ours because of some false "beauty" arbitrary standard set by God knows who.

2 Likes

Re: Weave Is The Death Of African Beauty by Nobody: 10:16am On Apr 08, 2015
I'm with you on this.
Re: Weave Is The Death Of African Beauty by Nimmyann(f): 4:26pm On Apr 29, 2015
I agree!
Re: Weave Is The Death Of African Beauty by Nobody: 9:54pm On Apr 29, 2015
@ OP, get outta my head
cool
It is a sub-continental tragic shame IMO
cry
May NL be the agent that will bring this hair change
Re: Weave Is The Death Of African Beauty by archive(f): 11:53pm On Apr 29, 2015
Why don't we let people wear their hair as they want without being judged, or at least publicly bashed? I think the real issue, is that a lot of weaves aren't worn well - and yes, if you're going to wear one at least try to make textures match, comb it etc... You have to realise that women modify themselves to fit the standards of beauty at the time. I don't need to curl my eyelashes but my white and asian friends do. I love my skin colour and would rather not bleach or tan - again different for my white and asian friends. My lips are full so I don't touch lip-plumping glosses - you get the picture. Women also pluck, shave, dye, paint our faces, paint our nails and everything else.

Another thing that people try to ignore when they make statements such as yours, is that black hair is difficult. Let's not fool ourselves here. The women I know that do not alter their hair at all have a slightly more manageable texture than most west-african hair or they spend hours styling every week, need to wear some sort of head ware to bed and are at the mercy of the weather. Some just don't have the time or care enough to maintain the upkeep. And how many times have our fros hurt being combed as children if you wore a style just a little too long? Our ancestors didn't wear fros, we have always dressed up our hair. Do braids offend you as much? I know women who rotate around all aforementioned hairstyles all year.

It's very trendy to scream 'inferiority' over weaves these days. I love who I am and I'm working to try and make things better, so that one day Nigeria and other African countries won't be dismissed as jokes internationally. I'm afraid going natural is quite far down my list of things I'm going to dedicate extra time, that I don't have, on.

(1) (Reply)

Gtbank Organises SKS Competition, To Promote Mother Tongue Amongst Children / Bach Bazi Pedophile Culture Of Afghani Powerful Men. / Why We Have Eze Ndi Igbo In Diaspora.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.