Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,703 members, 7,802,094 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:04 AM

DSTV Subscription: Court Stops Dstv From Increasing Fees - TV/Movies (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / DSTV Subscription: Court Stops Dstv From Increasing Fees (43516 Views)

DSTV Subscription Fee To Increase From 1st May, Nigerians React / You Can Now Suspend Your Dstv Subscription When You Wish / MultiChoice Africa Announces Dstv Subscription Price Increase (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: DSTV Subscription: Court Stops Dstv From Increasing Fees by Sunshinelady(f): 7:36pm On Apr 08, 2015
himkers:
One down, remaining MTN and Titus Sardine grin
and peak milk. Imagine a tin of peak milk = 920 naira

1 Like

Re: DSTV Subscription: Court Stops Dstv From Increasing Fees by popcykaylah(m): 7:38pm On Apr 08, 2015
I don pay the new price ..its really annoying ...na naija we dey
when them bribe judge and those that sued them ..them go keep quiet..Dstv have always been succeeding in cheating us..the only solution is competition.. a stiff one for that matter ..
Re: DSTV Subscription: Court Stops Dstv From Increasing Fees by Temidayo9(m): 7:38pm On Apr 08, 2015
All of you re shouting about DSTV doing there legitimate business, the main problem in Nigeria is Power, we ve bn paying for unused power since 1900. And we re all pretend as if all is well.

1 Like

Re: DSTV Subscription: Court Stops Dstv From Increasing Fees by Chimerase(m): 7:43pm On Apr 08, 2015
No wonder dey sport centres increase der moni from 50 card to 100 naira
Re: DSTV Subscription: Court Stops Dstv From Increasing Fees by lezz(m): 7:43pm On Apr 08, 2015
ozoigbondu:
DSTV has been playing us as football i suggest we boycott dat cable that toys with us and embrace any other cable that shows live match
I have stripped myself off from everything south Africa. Ported my mtn line to airtel and bought a new glo. Dropped my dstv for ctl. South Africa is a vicious, greedy animal. Remember when mtn told us per second billing wasn't possible?
Re: DSTV Subscription: Court Stops Dstv From Increasing Fees by vareal(m): 7:49pm On Apr 08, 2015
Final sltn: embrace metro digital
Re: DSTV Subscription: Court Stops Dstv From Increasing Fees by Nobody: 7:51pm On Apr 08, 2015
niyah24:

Ok aw many fish u want inside titus sardine?
Im ready to take dis up trust me

Atleast 4 grin
Re: DSTV Subscription: Court Stops Dstv From Increasing Fees by Waspy(m): 7:58pm On Apr 08, 2015
Skoopy:

Sorry about that, it may be as a result of system error. If you are sure ur subscription is still active, this is what to do;

text msg type RA followed by ur 10 digits card no. And send to 30333.

Example : RA 1234567890 send to 30333.

Hope u get ur services soon.

Note: Ur decoder must be "ON" before using this method. Keep it tuned to Africa magic channel 154.
Be like say na there you dey work bah......Its high time they charged per view
Re: DSTV Subscription: Court Stops Dstv From Increasing Fees by petermichaels(m): 7:59pm On Apr 08, 2015
Good start. Next it should be on pay as you go.. Kudos to such lawyers who has d masses at heart.
Re: DSTV Subscription: Court Stops Dstv From Increasing Fees by osasboy(m): 8:01pm On Apr 08, 2015
I believe there would be a change in this industry by the time GMB comes in.
Also Tinubu will make sure his satellite TV company (consat)becomes functional

All we need is a good regulatory body, NBC is doing nothing...

And for you info, just forget about the court case it will not hold water.
Re: DSTV Subscription: Court Stops Dstv From Increasing Fees by Nobody: 8:03pm On Apr 08, 2015
they just called me today to go and pay the new tariff. what can i do? any suggestion?
Re: DSTV Subscription: Court Stops Dstv From Increasing Fees by otokx(m): 8:04pm On Apr 08, 2015
Is this for real?
Re: DSTV Subscription: Court Stops Dstv From Increasing Fees by rman: 8:08pm On Apr 08, 2015
Reference:
Silly people. Is price control the way to go in.a liberal, free market democracy such as ours. It is a stupid as trade union strikes over salary increases while ignoring the more worthy issues of inflation and its root causes such that you have a strike every six months to maintain a level standard of living.

What should have be done was the protection of an industry from monopolistic tendencies of individual companies by appropriate anti-trust laws. GoTv should never have been allowed to.set sail. That is a litigation worthy venture. The various underhand marketing strategies of Multi-Choice aimed at squeezing out all competition over the years should have ended in court. Now that the chimpanzee has grown into a 300 pound gorilla you want to wrestle it.

You better leave them alone. The pricing regime that you should fear is the one that lowers prices to such a ridiculous amount all aimed at rail-roading competition than the one that raises prices to such a ridiculously high level. Because the markets will soon offer Multi-Choice a stern lesson when high prices attract the competition it doesn't want, just as high, sustained international oil prices are ALWAYS followed by a crash.

For me it is better.

Thank you! The only thinking poster.
Re: DSTV Subscription: Court Stops Dstv From Increasing Fees by sniper1305(m): 8:09pm On Apr 08, 2015
gateleo:
[size=15pt]A Federal High Court in Lagos has ordered Multi Choice Nigeria Limited, operator of the Digital Satellite Television, popularly known as DStv, to hold action on its planned subscription fee increment.

Justice C.J. Aneke, who made the interim order last week, held that it would subsist till the determination of a lawsuit contesting the legality of DStv’s newly introduced rates and increase in tariffs payable by all its subscribers in the country.

Two legal practitioners in Lagos, Osasuyi Adebayo and Oluyinka Oyeniji, had approached the court challenging what they described as arbitrary increment in DStv subscription rates imposed on its customers.

The action, they said, followed an announcement by Multi Choice in March that it was increasing DStv subscription fees by 20 per cent on all viewing plans effective from April 1, 2015.

The company had reportedly explained that the price increase was necessary for it to be able to continue to offer the best in local and international entertainment to its subscribers.

But the plaintiffs, who considered the move as illegal, filed the suit marked FHC/L/CS/404/2015, joining Multi Choice Nigeria Limited and the National Broadcasting Commission as the first and second defendants respectively.

The plaintiffs, who sued for themselves and on behalf of all DStv subscribers across the country, had asked for an order, compelling NBC to enforce the pay-per-view scheme, whereby subscribers would only pay for programmes watched, as was being done in other parts of the world.

They also asked for an order of the court restraining any other individual or corporate entitity from filing any other action on the subject matter to avoid multiplicity of the lawsuit.

Aneke, having granted the interim injunction as prayed by the plaintiffs, directed that the order be made public through newspapers publications.

The judge adjourned the case till April 16, 2015.

Aneke held, “That an order of interim injunction is hereby granted to the parties to maintain the status quo restraining the 1st defendant (Multichoice/DStv) from giving effect or enforcing its planned increase in cost of the different classes of viewing or programmes bouquet, pending the hearing and determination of the motion on notice.

“That an order is hereby granted certifying the plaintiffs’ claim as a class action for themselves as individual subscribers, other corporate subscribers, distributors and retailers of the 1st defendants’ services.

“That an order is hereby granted restraining any other person whether individual or corporate from instituting any other action as may be related to the action against the defendant to prevent multiplicity of lawsuits pursuant to the appointment of the plaintiffs in the class action but may instead opt in or out of this action.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/court-stops-dstv-from-increasing-subscription-fees/[/size]
am so happy with this development, funniest thin was dat multi choice disconnected m ystday, iv 2 pay d balance added 2 my initial payment since last month, itz rubbish
Re: DSTV Subscription: Court Stops Dstv From Increasing Fees by Adesiji77: 8:15pm On Apr 08, 2015
Skoopy:

What state are you? If you don't mind I'll give you a number to call possibly tomorrow from 8am and the status of your account will be checked and sorted out.

I have sent a PM to you. Thanks
Re: DSTV Subscription: Court Stops Dstv From Increasing Fees by Skoopy(m): 8:15pm On Apr 08, 2015
Waspy:
Be like say na there you dey work bah......Its high time they charged per view

When next you go to renew your subscription, request for a feed back form. Multi choice Nigeria has a reputation for making sure the content of those forms are looked into.
Re: DSTV Subscription: Court Stops Dstv From Increasing Fees by prudentcy(m): 8:18pm On Apr 08, 2015
Sheriff19:
I feel u guy. I no kwn who send me job go buy dis scaming Gotv brief case of a tin. Abeg bros incase u help me find buyer I won sell some decoders

LWKMD grin grin angry
Re: DSTV Subscription: Court Stops Dstv From Increasing Fees by ise82(m): 8:22pm On Apr 08, 2015
We Nigerians can't corporate; that's why we can't have one voice. I have decided not to renew until the price is reverted. I won't die if I don't watch DSTV. We nid a revolution in this country.

3 Likes

Re: DSTV Subscription: Court Stops Dstv From Increasing Fees by Nobody: 8:25pm On Apr 08, 2015
himkers:

Atleast 4 grin
Oya lets go fishing grin

1 Like

Re: DSTV Subscription: Court Stops Dstv From Increasing Fees by Sunjos: 8:37pm On Apr 08, 2015
Ventura1:
Is ok!

Yoruba's again is taking the lead in defending Nigerians against oppression! we have done it before, we can do it again!
Na wa for u o. Why can't we all think 'nigeria' for once. Must we bring tribalism into everything.....

3 Likes

Re: DSTV Subscription: Court Stops Dstv From Increasing Fees by Nobody: 8:48pm On Apr 08, 2015
himkers:
One down, remaining MTN and Titus Sardine grin

Plus airtel, glo, Taxi fares, Molue, prices of fish, kpomo, borokoto, shaki, goat head, suya and kilishi....hahahahah grin grin grin cool
Re: DSTV Subscription: Court Stops Dstv From Increasing Fees by Wendy80(f): 8:52pm On Apr 08, 2015
Fit2Rule:
Come oo.. Una dey forget Gold circle condoms ne? They way that thing dey burst this days eh.... I no fit shout oo..

cheesy grin grin
Re: DSTV Subscription: Court Stops Dstv From Increasing Fees by adconline(m): 8:53pm On Apr 08, 2015
What happened to our HITV? Naija is peopled by bad managers!

1 Like

Re: DSTV Subscription: Court Stops Dstv From Increasing Fees by sniperwolf(m): 9:23pm On Apr 08, 2015
femi4:
Dem reduce the fishes inside to two
Go buy eléja smoked fish... Lol
Re: DSTV Subscription: Court Stops Dstv From Increasing Fees by Skoopy(m): 9:33pm On Apr 08, 2015
himkers:

Before it was 3pcs in a can for 100naira, now it's 2pcs for 150naira. It's pure cheating

150 for titus? For my end na 200.
Re: DSTV Subscription: Court Stops Dstv From Increasing Fees by ocheejemb: 9:40pm On Apr 08, 2015
MrEdimulo82:
Luxury goods? shocked shocked Really? you are part odf naija problems.....to have seen dstv service as luxury goods
LOL. Nigeria's problem is DSTV bah? When I was growing up, only rich people had DStv. Maybe things have gotten so good in Nigeria that it seems like a necessity. NTA and AIT and Channels are free as air. If price of Dstv is a problem then stick to those free services.

3 Likes

Re: DSTV Subscription: Court Stops Dstv From Increasing Fees by HARDDON: 9:43pm On Apr 08, 2015
ozoigbondu:
DSTV has been playing us as football i suggest we boycott dat cable that toys with us and embrace any other cable that shows live match

Instead of the idiots to look for ways of improving on the snail speed with which their decoders pick signals , they r here looking for more milking ...

Imagine watching a match on the edge of ur sit, then all of a sudden Phcn strikes, gen powers, only for the stupid decoder to take eternity to load ! B4 it comes up, half time! angry

2 Likes

Re: DSTV Subscription: Court Stops Dstv From Increasing Fees by niyifour(m): 9:44pm On Apr 08, 2015
DSTV fees should be reduced Haba,

Nigeria!!!, that's crazy
Re: DSTV Subscription: Court Stops Dstv From Increasing Fees by gbolalekan(m): 9:52pm On Apr 08, 2015
The new pricing has been maintained in the banks and other online payments options! Don't know if DSTV will comply, it doesn't seem they want to! And i do hope that the excesses will be refunded back.
Re: DSTV Subscription: Court Stops Dstv From Increasing Fees by onizsure: 9:55pm On Apr 08, 2015
Good, am so happy to know this is happening. I adamantly refused to subscribe for this month. Haba! Why this extortion and oppression, why does every country wants to be cheating us in every way. I would rather go for startimes than subscribe with this increment. Thanks to those Lawyers.
Re: DSTV Subscription: Court Stops Dstv From Increasing Fees by cevek11: 10:04pm On Apr 08, 2015
I love this... We really need competition in this space. COURT SHOULD MANDATE A PAY AS YOU GO SYSTEM FOR THESE GUYS. I paid 3 months in January, every month I have to go and queue for them to reopen the service. And I don't get anything for wasted time, or even the period for with the subscription was off. Some times it goes off again after a day and u have to go back, as it's so difficult to get their call agents. Terrible guys!!!
Re: DSTV Subscription: Court Stops Dstv From Increasing Fees by breakeven: 10:31pm On Apr 08, 2015
Some of us have already paid the increase, how do l get my money back from DSTV. Please advise

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Iris Season 3 / Reno Omokri Cautions BBNaija Over Eloswag’s Subtle Campaign For Peter Obi / BBNaija: Alex Transforms Lolu, Tobi, Miracle, Rico Swavey Into 'Women'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.