Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,196 members, 7,807,670 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:09 PM

Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? (5198 Views)

Photos Of Air Force Helicopters Providing Cover Over Abuja-Kaduna Highway / Why Do Most Nigerians Equate Igbo Trade Domination To Political Dominance? / If Nigeria Is Broke, Why Does Government Live Large? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by Sweetguy25: 4:00pm On Apr 09, 2015
If MTN constantly makes about 700 billion naira every year in Nigeria with the present electricity conditions, I will gladly opine that electricity is not a primary cause of employment/unemployment.
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by esere826: 4:00pm On Apr 09, 2015
mikolo80:
COST SCHMOST
ALL THESE YOUR SEMANTICS
YOU KNOW WHAT NIGERIANS MEAN WHEN THEY SAY THEY WANT ELECTICITY(POWER/LIGHT/NEPA/PHCN)
ELECTRICITY AT TODAYS CHEAPER(LARGE SCALE WHOLESALE COMPETITIVE ) PRICE

kudos
you're breaking it down

You really think that the calibre of some of the Nigerians that have commented here, know what they mean when they say they want electricity and daz all?

If they did they would not have jumped in gregariously shooting me down like a manic herd
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by esere826: 4:01pm On Apr 09, 2015
Sweetguy25:
If MTN constantly makes about 700 billion naira every year in Nigeria with the present electricity conditions, I will gladly opine that electricity is not a primary cause of employment/unemployment.

abeg chop knuckle
I liked the way u said "primary"

1 Like

Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by mikolo80: 4:03pm On Apr 09, 2015
esere826:

kudos
you're breaking it down

You really think that the calibre of some of the Nigerians that have commented here, know what they mean when they say they want electricity and daz all?

If they did they would not have jumped in gregariously shooting me down like a manic herd

ENGLISH NOT OUR FIRST LANGUAGE
MOST ALSO READ TO PASS EXAMS AND NOT THINK
NOT THEIR FAULT
ITS THE WAY THEY WERE EDUCATED
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by esere826: 4:07pm On Apr 09, 2015
mikolo80:
BRO WE ARE NEW TO DEMOCRACY(FACT)
WE'VE TAKEN THE FIRST STEP(VOTD OUT PDP) TO "ENSURING" GOOD POLICIES
HOPEFULLY WE GET TO TEST RUN THE POWER OF RECALL ON IDLE LAWMAKERS
good
I just hope that the new political gladiators are not as simplistic as their electorate

I hope they do not like the electorate say "lets' give them 24 power supplier and they the electorates will create jobs themselves"
then they go about awarding electricity contracts and awaiting this job creation magic to happen on its own
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by esere826: 4:08pm On Apr 09, 2015
mikolo80:

ENGLISH NOT OUR FIRST LANGUAGE
MOST ALSO READ TO PASS EXAMS AND NOT THINK
NOT THEIR FAULT
ITS THE WAY THEY WERE EDUCATED

lol
you're funny
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by esere826: 4:10pm On Apr 09, 2015
anonimi:

That is why SENSIBLE countries impose stiff tariff regimes to discourage imports thus enhancing the national competitive environment to grow the industries, innovation, revenue and employment.
China, India, South Korea etc did it.

..........Abi na where the cheap imports want lead us to

o boy u get sense
sensible people are not allowed here angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by mikolo80: 4:11pm On Apr 09, 2015
esere826:

lol
you're funny
is true na
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by esere826: 4:13pm On Apr 09, 2015
emiye:
dont get worked up dude, i only feel your thread theme is a naive opinion, no one knows everything, we all have our areas of naievity, i pointed that out to you, but you tried going the condescending away, for that you should be ashamed of yourself.

In clear terms, there are several factors contributing to the high cost of doing business in Nigeria, shortage of power supply sits atop of it, other factors are multiple taxation, regulatory infractions, e.t.c, there is a direct linkage between high Cost of doing business and reduced competitiveness. Competition in manufacturing is not only internal(within the country), it is also external (outside the country), that is why there are several importers of products beseiging china, e.t.c All over the world SMEs dictate the pace of the economy and usually the largest provider of employment, they do not usually start with high profit margins, when their supposed small profit margins are eroded through high cost of production due to power supply costs, they sometimes end up running at a loss and closing up in a very short time. Many artisans abandon their productive work due to poor power supply and become motorcycle riders. Stable power supply reduces cost of business, and encourages more SMEs and multinationals, luckily cheap labour abound. There is a reason American companies prefer moving factories in to china instead of staying in America, they want to tinker and reduce cost of doing business which cheap labour in china boosters.

now you're almost sounding like a pleasant and sensible fellow wink
keep it up and you'd be dinning with diplomats not riffraffs (except u like our brand of politics)

But the punishment for your previous misyarn is that I won't tackle this post for now. maybe another time tongue
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by omenka(m): 4:15pm On Apr 09, 2015
mikolo80:
24HRS DIVIDED BY 7= 3.SOMETHING
3.SOMETHING TIMES 450 IS......
PLS APOLOGISE IF YOU HAVE ANY HONOUR ONCE YOU'VE WORKED THAT OUT
NO WODER MY MUMSIE INSITED ON ME SHOWING THE WORKINGS INSTEAD OF WURUWUR TO THE ANSWER cool
OMG. You are right. Should have been 90*15, and not 450*15.

1 Like

Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by mikolo80: 4:16pm On Apr 09, 2015
esere826:

good
I just hope that the new political gladiators are not as simplistic as their electorate

I hope they do not like the electorate say "lets' give them 24 power supplier and they the electorates will create jobs themselves"
then they go about awarding electricity contracts and awaiting this job creation magic to happen on its own
if it were just tinubu then yes i would be worried
but i put my trust in the old battle axe
altho to be fair tinubu did try to take lagos off grid but was stopped by obj
so maybe he can still pretend to provide us with "stomach infrastructure"
just like fashola did some brt which was not sustainable(buying 200 buses for a community that should have at least 2000)same goes for their so called mass housing(building 126 house 'estates' where we should be building by the thousand)
aaaaaanyway e go soonn reach us
then we show our sef
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by esere826: 4:16pm On Apr 09, 2015
mikolo80:
NO WODER MY MUMSIE INSITED ON ME SHOWING THE WORKINGS INSTEAD OF WURUWUR TO THE ANSWER cool

ahahaha
no kill me with laugh abeg
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by mikolo80: 4:17pm On Apr 09, 2015
wink
omenka:
OMG. You are right. Should have been 90*15, and not 450*15.

winkstill not an apology but i'll take it
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by Sweetguy25: 4:19pm On Apr 09, 2015
In this 21st century, knowledge drives businesses and the economy and not necessarily equipments or machinery.

As someone who is quite conversant with the problems facing SMEs in Nigeria, I can easily tell you that electricity is not our major problem.

Access to finance for entrepreneurs is a bigger problem
Lack of proper financial and marketing management is also a bigger problem
Lack of proper operations management is also a bigger problem

Businesses in Nigeria don't "know" how to manage their human and financial resources effectively. That is the same problem with Nigeria as a whole, we cannot manage our human, financial and natural resources effectively and efficiently.

The key problem is knowledge. That is the problem with Nigeria and other third world countries.

We may have 24 hours electricity supply but that won't make our graduates employable and a statistic put the number of unemployable graduates at 70 percent. If graduates are unemployable, they wont get jobs because they can't offer any value to businesses.

We may have 24 hours electricity but if there's no money to start a business because interest rates are at 27 percent, there will be no jobs.

Electricity is not our problem.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by esere826: 4:22pm On Apr 09, 2015
Sweetguy25:
In this 21st century, knowledge drives businesses and the economy and not necessarily equipments or machinery.

As someone who is quite conversant with the problems facing SMEs in Nigeria, I can easily tell you that electricity is not our major problem.

Access to finance for entrepreneurs is a bigger problem
Lack of proper financial and marketing management is also a bigger problem
Lack of proper operations management is also a bigger problem

Businesses in Nigeria don't "know" how to manage their human and financial resources effectively. That is the same problem with Nigeria as a whole, we cannot manage our human, financial and natural resources effectively and efficiently.

The key problem is knowledge. That is the problem with Nigeria and other third world countries.

We may have 24 hours electricity supply but that won't make our graduates employable and a statistic put the number of unemployable graduates at 70 percent. If graduates are unemployable, they wont get jobs because they can't offer any value to businesses.

We may have 24 hours electricity but if there's no money to start a business because interest rates are at 27 percent, there will be no jobs.

Electricity is not our problem.

Sweetguy is do naw
why are you taking away my shine?

haba
I don't enjoy it when any body get sense pass me angry

2 Likes

Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by kcjazz(m): 4:34pm On Apr 09, 2015
esere826:

good argument ..but
Factories don't close if the cost of doing business is high
they close if they are not competitive.

Competiveness in turn is dependent on many factors including its cost relative to profit and revenue, and the environment the business competes in

If a business spends 1 billion on energy and makes 1 trillion profit, it wont close shop easily except the environment forces it to

Really? You can compete based on cost like Southwest Airlines or even Apple. Cost and profit is relative. In 2007 Lehman Brothers posted profits of 6billion dollars. That is 50 times what Manchester United earned that same year, by 2008 Lehman brothers was no more.
The issue is if as a business there is a cheaper efficient means to run then grab it. It doesn't matter what profits you making. It is why many banks run inverters to power Atms.
Will better energy solve unemployment? Largely yes. You can hire better people to help innovate to stay competitive, the catch is better soup na money kill am. There are so many factors to these unemployment issue and power is huge. Save money to stay competitive.
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by Sweetguy25: 4:49pm On Apr 09, 2015
esere826:

Sweetguy is do naw
why are you taking away my shine?

haba
I don't enjoy it when any body get sense pass me angry

Lol.

Its hypocritical of Nigerians to expect stable employment in their country while the literacy rate is only 60 percent. Unemployment in Nigeria will be the same even in the next 10 - 15 years. Countries with higher literacy rates and stable electricity have unemployment problems but we expect employment once electricity is provided. That's nonsense.

If successive governments keep on neglecting the education sector, our unemployment rate has no other option but to increase because the value of our human resources will consistently decrease.

Electricity is important and critical but it is not all that matters. Education matters more.

2 Likes

Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by Pavore9: 4:54pm On Apr 09, 2015
esere826:

great
Some great and valid points you've made (especially with regard to alternative energy sources....ur strike me as a proper business minded person) but quite many which can push me off what I aim to pass across.
for example, I could ask who provides this central electric power in Kenya, how long it has been provided by the provider, and if there is any direct intervention by the government on cost of this power.

However, quick one.
what is the unemployment rate in Kenya? just curious

Unemployment is just like in Nigeria but with being a Nigerian l smell opportunities which locals ignore as there are a lot of things one can learn easily here at little cost and when he or she implements it in Nigeria it will be an ATM!
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by Sweetguy25: 5:09pm On Apr 09, 2015
And why is everyone talking of manufacturing? Is manufacturing the only sector in the economy?
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by esere826: 5:10pm On Apr 09, 2015
kcjazz:

Really? You can compete based on cost like Southwest Airlines or even Apple. Cost and profit is relative. In 2007 Lehman Brothers posted profits of 6billion dollars. That is 50 times what Manchester United earned that same year, by 2008 Lehman brothers was no more.

Yep, really.

This would be pushing us beyond my original assertion, but here we go.
(hope I remember corectly what happened)
Lehman brother collapsed because of the sub-prime mortgage
Companies balnce sheet is based not only on raw cash, but also on the value of their assets
Previously, Lehmans' brother's asset were very valuable and so made their balance sheet look good
when the value of the sub prime assets (which was somehow connected to Lehman'ns profits) plummeted,
it also told on their balance sheet, making them a loss making firm

Banks realized that the burst of the bubble was systemic and not something that would go away quickly,
so they refused to extend credit to lehman
In US unlike Nigeria, when your business cannot meet some obligations, such as paying staff, satisfying investors etc it goes burst

The issue is if as a business there is a cheaper efficient means to run then grab it. It doesn't matter what profits you making. It is why many banks run inverters to power Atms.
Agreed

Will better energy solve unemployment? Largely yes.
you've not provided a strong case here. At least not the case below

You can hire better people to help innovate to stay competitive, the catch is better soup na money kill am.
how does better energy equate to hiring better people to stay competitive??

There are so many factors to these unemployment issue and power is huge . Save money to stay competitive.
Agreed, there are many factors. That is why I talk about the holistic view and not the simplistic assumption that says "give us power, and don't worry about jobs, we'll take care of that ourselves"
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by Sweetguy25: 5:46pm On Apr 09, 2015
Pavore9:

Unemployment is just like in Nigeria but with being a Nigerian l smell opportunities which locals ignore as there are a lot of things one can learn easily here at little cost and when he or she implements it in Nigeria it will be an ATM!

Have you been to Nigeria before?
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by Pavore9: 6:06pm On Apr 09, 2015
Sweetguy25:

Have you been to Nigeria before?

Me, born and raised in Lagos cool
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by Tayeni(m): 6:28pm On Apr 09, 2015
mikolo80:
GUUY IF THEM BILL YOU THE WAY THEM DE BILL PEOPLE FOR BWARI WEN NO GET METER YOUR BUSINESS GO PACK UP SHARP SHARP
PPL ARE PAYING 8K FOR ALMOST NO LIGHT WHEN THEY SHOULDNT PAY MORE THAN 2K IF THEY WERE METERED
LOT OF EXPLOITATION GOING ON
mikolo80 i have recieved a month's bill totalling 13,000 naira for very poor power supply particularly that month.....yes i was vexed and felt slighted, but not enough to disconnect from the public power supply...why?. after my calculations i still found out its better to keep paying for the few hours of supply than to run on generator 24/7. We can only agitate for the rates to drop and for the supply to get better....but before then nko?.......here are the figures(no dogon turenci, no verbosity,no theory) True Life.

i run a small business...generator consumes approx. 100 naira worth of diesel per hour....
this adds up to 2,400 naira per day.(assuming we generate power 24/7)
thats 72,000 naira! per month(pleases note this particular gen can't power all the machinery at once.....so some have to be idle while we wait for power from the mains)
72,000 naira is 7 times the average bill we recieve per month frm IEDC.
even if i were to triple the amount i pay to IEDC, i'd still have enough balance worth 2 times the minimum wage. This is excluding expenses on servicing and repairs.
* the OP makes it sound like its cheaper to run on fuel than power frm the mains.
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by esere826: 7:52pm On Apr 09, 2015
Pavore9:

I guess this would go at least a little way to buttress the point that the provision of electricity does not automatically equate to job creation

..that is aside from other environmental scanning such as "at what cost will this energy be provided in Nigeria?"

that you are able to smell business opportunities in (or from) Kenya as a Nigerian living there should also demonstrate that perspective is a strong factor in locating and utilizing opputunities. I'll digress from my major point in the OP, and say perhaps, that's how some foreigners also smell opportunities in our country that we who live here are not able to perceive
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by esere826: 8:03pm On Apr 09, 2015
Sweetguy25:
And why is everyone talking of manufacturing? Is manufacturing the only sector in the economy?

At least, it's one step beyond trading which we currently specialize in
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by Sweetguy25: 8:34pm On Apr 09, 2015
Pavore9:

Me, born and raised in Lagos cool

Oook.
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by Sweetguy25: 9:12pm On Apr 09, 2015
esere826:

At least, it's one step beyond trading which we currently specialize in

Lol.
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by mikolo80: 10:19pm On Apr 09, 2015
Tayeni:
mikolo80 i have recieved a month's bill totalling 13,000 naira for very poor power supply particularly that month.....yes i was vexed and felt slighted, but not enough to disconnect from the public power supply...why?. after my calculations i still found out its better to keep paying for the few hours of supply than to run on generator 24/7. We can only agitate for the rates to drop and for the supply to get better....but before then nko?.......here are the figures(no dogon turenci, no verbosity,no theory) True Life.

i run a small business...generator consumes approx. 100 naira worth of diesel per hour....
this adds up to 2,400 naira per day.(assuming we generate power 24/7)
thats 72,000 naira! per month(pleases note this particular gen can't power all the machinery at once.....so some have to be idle while we wait for power from the mains)
72,000 naira is 7 times the average bill we recieve per month frm IEDC.
even if i were to triple the amount i pay to IEDC, i'd still have enough balance worth 2 times the minimum wage. This is excluding expenses on servicing and repairs.
* the OP makes it sound like its cheaper to run on fuel than power frm the mains.

is your business a factory(heavy duty factory o) not pure water factory
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by estacyresource: 10:20pm On Apr 09, 2015

Aisha Buhari remained in the shadows for most of the election campaign but could now impose a very different style from the current First Lady at the presidential villa Aso Rock in ......

http://allaboutnews-update..com/2015/04/aisha-buhari-new-style-of-first-lady-in.html

1 Share

Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by mikolo80: 10:23pm On Apr 09, 2015
esere826:

ahahaha
no kill me with laugh abeg
As in real shadow marking
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by Tayeni(m): 11:01pm On Apr 09, 2015
mikolo80:
is your business a factory(heavy duty factory o) not pure water factory
what makes the bill high is because we use two premises.....hence, 2 bills every month. Which still underscores the importance of constant electricity(we were forced to locate the other half of the business which requires a coldroom in a place where power supply is relatively better).
like i said.....its a small business( not heavy duty per se).
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by mikolo80: 11:06pm On Apr 09, 2015
Tayeni:
what makes the bill high is because we use two premises.....hence, 2 bills every month. Which still underscores the importance of constant electricity(we were forced to locate the other half of the business which requires a coldroom in a place where power supply is relatively better).
like i said.....its a small business( not heavy duty per se).
Hmmm
coldroom
imported fish
price is uniform
can be passed on to consumers
not talking about this kind of business

more along the lines of textile,food processing etc
heavy industry
not importation dependent biz
hey I would like to chat about cold room biz on whatsapp 07031133998

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Shekau Has Finished His Business / US Agency Donates $13m For Boko Haram Victims In North East / PT Will Resist Attempts To Turn Nigeria Into 2 Party state-olawepo Hashim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.