Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,164 members, 7,807,539 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:57 PM

Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? (7859 Views)

Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? / Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? / Happenings In Eko Hospital Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? by codedruns: 10:55pm On Apr 08, 2015
Saw this on facebook...decided to share!

This piece is a hard one for me to write, hard and very difficult. As I write this, I am filled with deep sorrow for what could have been that was not. This piece is not intended to do anything but to warn unsuspecting members of the public. A warning that is necessary at this time because “evil deeds thrive when good men do nothing”

My discourse is centred on the level of mismanagement, inefficiency and a total lack of respect for life exhibited by management and staff of EKO Hospital on Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way, Ikeja.

My friend’s wife, Dolapo, a young mother of 2 boys , with a promising banking career, pregnant with the 3rd child had complained of leg pains to her husband on Tuesday, March 31, 2015. Her husband took her to the EKO Hospital for treatment (their registered HMO provider), they were told that the leg pains were normal for pregnant women at her stage and were subsequently given some paracetamol tablets to use.

Getting home, the pains did not subside, in fact, it grew worse. It got to a point that she could not walk with the legs on her own. The husband had no choice but to return to the hospital on Friday April 3, 2015 at around 3pm when it was obvious things were not getting better. At that point, The doctor on duty advised them to wait for the consultant and Dolapo was made to sit out the ‘’wait’’ in a wheelchair as her legs could no longer support and carry her, in any case the consultant did not show up until Saturday afternoon being 04/04/1. She repeatedly beckoned on the staff on duty to perform a CS and safely get the baby out as she could sense and feel that something was ominously wrong. The pregnancy was well into 8 months. Some scan were recommended and the person to conduct the scan had reportedly closed for the day and only surfaced at about 9pm on Friday and the wait dragged well into the night

Dolapo was in pains on the wheel chair, she was being moved from her ward to the scanning room when the head of the baby came out on the wheel chair, her husband screamed and rushed her quickly into the elevator, yes, ELEVATOR!!. The baby could not stand the trauma, he came out in transit, right there in the elevator. A nurse had to hold the baby’s head, supporting it while the elevator goes to labour theatre, the baby was pulled out before they could make it to the theatre. This was at 9.30pm on Friday. The baby became the centre of attention for the hospital staff of Duty while neglecting Dolapo all alone for more than 1 hr 30 mins while they attended to the baby to revive him.

She was left unattended to, in pains, right there in the theatre. She was eventually moved back to her ward . The consultant eventually turned up around 4pm on Saturday. The husband engaged him and he requested that some tests be done to ascertain what level of treatment or care to give. He was told she (the wife) would be fine and the test results would be ready by Tuesday because of the holidays.

On Sunday, April 5, 2015, at about 8am in the morning, I visited her in the hospital and sat beside her on the bed offering words of encouragements. She was still in pains, and she was hardly audible, she could only answer in nods and made attempts at a faint smile to reassure myself and her husband that she would be fine.

It came as a rude shock when I called the husband at about 12 pm and he was crying profusely, saying Dolapo is lying down lifeless and that I should please pray. I was to say the least devastated, I was asking loads and loads of questions and he kept saying please pray, pray.

I got to the hospital to meet the lifeless body on the bed, she was dead! What happened? How did this happen? Nobody could offer any explanation. There was no doctor around, I asked the nurse on duty and she just said she is dead. I recalled she was eating when I left earlier, how could she have gone from eating to being dead in less than 3 hrs?

The husband told me she was given an injection to suppress the pains on her leg and immediately started gasping for breath, oxygen tanks were brought in to revive her but it was too late. She was gone before anything could be done.

The body was left in the room for more than 24 hours, several prayer sessions were held to bring her back to life. In the more than 24 hrs period after her death, no doctor from EKO Hospital came out to say this was what happened. No personnel came around to ask people to leave the room, the body was not covered nor washed. It was simply business as usual for them.

It was normal for someone to give birth and die? The Medical Director of the hospital did not deem it fit to offer explanation or even try to prevail on the family to leave the body so that necessary medical procedures could be done.

I will leave my readers to ask questions from this write up, perhaps, I am being too expectant, maybe too optimistic about my expectations from a Hospital as reputable as EKO Hospital!

The family has accepted their fate and decided to move on…. But should we move on? Should we just accept this as normal? I was talking to a friend in my office yesterday and was shocked when he informed me that his wife also died in this same EKO Hospital some 6 years back and the same treatment was meted out on him!

Please pass this story around, let people know what is going on, don’t stop until it gets to the right quarters where something could be done to save others and for the doctors and hospitals to be more responsive to their duties of saving lives and not taking lives. Dolapo is gone but who knows who will be next??
Re: Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? by DuchessLily(f): 11:13pm On Apr 08, 2015
I think they should close down dat hospital.

I've heard so many bad happenings and seen peeps who have bad testimony abt DAT place
Re: Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? by jemype(m): 11:26pm On Apr 08, 2015
So sorry about the loss and i pray God grants you and your friend the fortitude to bear the loss but i must ask- isnt eko hospital a private hospital? When he discovered things were going weoNg from diagnosis to oda minor issues why didnt he arrange to have her transferred to another hospital that had the capacity to handle her being that eko was incompetent. Especially being the fact that its pregnancy we r talking about here. I mean some other private hospitals will open on holidays too.
Re: Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? by chidekings(m): 11:31pm On Apr 08, 2015
this one of the reasons,i hate hospitals managed by Nigerian governments...most private hospitals are better than them.
Re: Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? by codedruns: 8:56am On Apr 09, 2015
this one of the reasons,i hate hospitals managed by Nigerian governments...most private hospitals are better than them.

Eko hospital is a private hospital.

1 Like

Re: Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? by Lunar2010: 9:59am On Apr 09, 2015
When I remember dis story, I remember wan somtin.... ahe ahe, Water run away my eye.

Lalasticlala.... counting on you!
Re: Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? by franugo(m): 11:47am On Apr 09, 2015
naija embarassed embarassed
Re: Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? by olasub: 12:20pm On Apr 09, 2015
I sympathize with the friends and family of Dolapo. But I do not think u should go ahead to pour out all the blame on Eko Hospital without hearing from them. Having in mind that the family is grieved at the moment and a lot of sentiments will continue to play. Let us hear from Eko Hospitals what actually happened.
Re: Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? by rushaway: 9:41pm On Apr 09, 2015
WORTHY OF NOTE!!!

Re: Dolapo Incident........

Please do not judge this case without listening to the other party. The above information may not be completely true because as far as i am concern, for me i have been using Eko Hospitals for years now and their service is one of the best so far. In-fact my wife had a set of twin just last month (March) Via Operation and everything went perfectly. Therefore, we should all know that MOST TIME we human are just trying but God has the final say.......
Re: Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? by otswag(m): 10:40pm On Apr 09, 2015
Yeah i agree we should get the other side of the story before we Start making judgment calls. People are always quick to critisize médical practitioners when tragédies like this happen in a hospital, though i agree That if this story Is very true, it has gross négligence written all over it. From what i can Pick from this story, she probably had what Is called deep venous thrombosis and eventually threw an embolus which explains the unexpected dramatic passing on. Many times, its not very easy to make That diagnosis even as doctors. May God give the family the fortitude to bear the loss.
Re: Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? by Paxastan: 9:28am On Apr 14, 2015
@otswag, i really agree with you, we should all get the other side of the story, and i strongly recommend that people should visit the website of Eko Hospital

Maryland, Lagos April 11, 2015 – The management’s attention has been drawn to a one-sided social media narration of the unfortunate and tragic loss of 36 years old Mrs. Dolapo Adesanya after child birth while under the care of EKO Hospital on Sunday, April 05, 2015.

In addressing the misinformation contained in an expectedly emotion laden though vitriolic missive by a “good samaritan” over what is truly a sad and tragic outcome of an event, the hospital will consistently respect the ethical patient-doctor privileges even as it acknowledges the deep sense of loss being felt by the family, friends, colleagues and indeed her husband and parents.

Given the public interest in the matter however, it is important to be aware of these facts:

Every loss of life is regrettable and death is occasionally inevitable in a hospital, EKO hospital will continue to dedicate itself to the highest level of healthcare service which allows it to treat from the simplest to some of the most complicated cases for almost forty (40) years. It also uses all in its capacity to avoid preventable fatal outcomes.

The late Mrs. Adesanya became our patient from October 2011 and delivered one previous pregnancy successfully without any incident in a hospital where thousands of babies have been delivered in the last two years with mortality rate way below half of the National average despite being a tertiary referral center.

The late Mrs. Adesanya booked late for antenatal care at 26weeks.

The antenatal period was uneventful until she was admitted into the labour ward at 36 weeks gestation complaining of backache and lower abdominal pain resulting in her difficulty in walking. Clinical evaluation was performed. Certain investigations including abdominal ultrasound was performed and she ruptured her water during the latter. She was taken to the labour room where she was delivered of a premature baby.

She delivered the current baby prematurely at 36 weeks in a position that she found most comfortable in the labour room and the baby was resuscitated and is now in a stable condition in the special care baby unit.The administration of care and counseling to the late Mrs. Adesanya is well documented. Appropriate modalities of care were discussed with and offered Mrs. Adesanya at every stage.

The immediate post delivery period was satisfactory and she was transferred to the post-natal ward in a stable condition. Her condition remained stable for 34 hours after delivery.

On the faithful day she suddenly developed a cough, became breathless and collapsed and all efforts to resuscitate her proved unsuccessful. A clinical diagnosis of pulmonary embolism was made. Pulmonary embolism sometimes occurs in people with predisposing factors e.g. post-surgery and post deliveries etc without warning.

Further insight/confirmation into the cause of death and other predisposing factors would have been revealed by post mortem examination which the family refused, and we had to respect.

The hospital did not abandon the corpse but gave room to the request by the family members to exercise their faith and belief in the efficacy of prayers in the post mortem period which lasted 24hours; this was also equally respected.

The hospital participated in a meeting on Friday, 10th of April 2015 with the HMO and her employers.

The Hospital wants to state categorically that there has been no compromise to patient safety in this case, which is always the top priority. We appreciate that sudden unexpected death in whatever form can be traumatic and can lead to sometimes inappropriate actions from those affected understandably.

The hospital respects and asks that the public allow the family to grieve in this trying time. During this time, the hospital will continue to do its best to minimize the trauma for the family.

We thank patrons and concerned members of the public who called in for the support offered both the family and the hospital.

Our heartfelt condolence goes to the husband and family of Mrs. Adesany

1 Like

Re: Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? by Olasultan(m): 10:06am On Apr 14, 2015
this is unbelievable "Clinical evaluation was performed. Certain investigations including abdominal ultrasound was performed and she ruptured her water during the latter. She was taken to the labour room where she was delivered of a premature baby"...THIS IS A LIE!
Clinical evaluation was not performed until over 5 hours of Dolapo getting to the hospital, she requested for an elective CS by herself ......infact she begged for it but there was no doctor/surgeon to do that for her! the personnel to do the scan was not available until almost 18 hours and she was sitting on a wheel chair without anything for the excruciating non labour pains she was experiencing for the whole time and while she was on that seat her water broke and she promptly half delivered the baby in the lift on her way to the labour ward!
that we were also praying for a miracle after she died was a big lie.....there was no nurse on the floor at that time! we were not even sure she has died as at then! the nurse that made the announcement must be the most callous in the world as she just said it so casually to the husband and left...not even bothering to close the eyes of Dolapo.
let EKO hospital continue to lie...one day truth will come out.
Re: Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? by rushaway: 6:35pm On Apr 16, 2015
@Olasultan.......

This is not solving this situation at the moment, what do you want to gain in lying and trying to tarnish the image of someone else business ''Eko Hospitals'' Well i am very sure that is not possible because me as a living testimony i have been using Eko Hospitals for over 5 years now and so thousands of people/patient. In March (2015) my wife had 2 bouncing babies (a boy and a girl) through CS in this same hospital, and at the moment my wife and kids are in a very stable condition.

How is that possible as big as Eko Hospitals and there wont be a SINGLE nurse on duty? A place where over 500 hundred staff are working...Wow this is completely lie because without been there at that moment though, a reasonable person reading your post will know you are been bias and a such a liar.

You are too bias in your story as far as i am concern, i am very sure THE MINISTRY OF HEALTH had intervene and i believe in their investigation they will go through all her medicals file, then that will reveal if Clinical evaluation was performed or not.

Let we Nigerians stop been bias or judging by listening to one sided story. The Doctor's and Nurses in Eko Hospitals has human feeling atleast, why would you say a nurse announce a dead person casually and left without even bothering closing her eyes? This is not possible and anybody reading your post will also know are just a liar.
Re: Eko Hospital, A Building Of Deaths? by osikhueme(f): 3:20pm On Apr 24, 2015
DO NOT use EKO hospital. From a mom who had her baby there in 2012

(1) (Reply)

Covid-19: Madagascar Is Lieing To The World- Photos / OCI Foundation's Bill On Anti-Breast, Anti-Cervical Cancer Passes Second Reading / Strike: Why FG Has Not Paid Some Doctors - Ngige

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.