Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,488 members, 7,808,809 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:12 PM

WHO OWNS LAGOS? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / WHO OWNS LAGOS? (5426 Views)

Who Owns Lagos? By Sam Omatseye / “God Owns Lagos, Entire Universe” – PDP Blasts Oba Of Lagos / Which Tribe Owns Lagos State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

WHO OWNS LAGOS? by drtwist(m): 12:51am On Apr 09, 2015
We all know the topic currently treading the media about the Yoruba’s becoming uncomfortable with other tribes being dominance on their land(Lagos).which has led to the OBA OF LAGOS jokingly inciting a statement that has been quickly criticize by people of all walk of life including the well mean Yoruba’s. Before we go into the topic in full let me provide an insight on Lagos as a state.
INSIGHT ON LAGOS STATE.
Lagos state is an administrative division of Nigeria, located in the Southwestern part of the country with an estimated population of about 22million as at 2014. The state was created May 27, 1967 and its state capital is Ikeja. Before the Portuguese name of Lagos had been adopted, it was initially called “EKO” which referred mainly to the island. The first sets of people to settle in EKO were the Aworis. Over 650years ago, the OBA OF BENIN sent warriors to EKO who were welcome by the Aworis and the Island become a Benin war-camp called “EKO” under Oba Orhogba, the Oba of Benin at that time. The name Lagos which means “Lakes” was given to the settlement by the Portuguese.
Presently Lagos is the most populous city in Nigeria, the second fastest-growing city in Africa and seventh in the world. Its population of about 22million is made up 13.5% indigenous lagoscian, 26.4% non Lagos Yoruba’s and 60.1% non Yoruba’s. The percentage increase of Lagos population yearly is 9.34%.
Lagos is the Highest Internal revenue generated state with a wide margin to Rivers, Delta and Edo who occupy second, third and fourth respectively (see top ten tables below).83% of this revenue is generated from PAYE, 9% is from Direct source and the rest from other source. In terms of allocation receive Lagos (N168b) is the fifth state far below Akwa Ibom, Rivers, Delta and Bayelsa. This shows the effect of internal revenue in the development of the states. Lagos of today is used as a benchmark for the development of other state in Nigeria. Railroad out of this country Lagos is the image used to describe Nigeria then others follow. This positions us to the question:
WHO OWNS LAGOS?
For fair judgment the question will be answer from two perspectives which will later be summarized to produce a realistic conclusion.
A) Lagos is a Yoruba man’s land.
Lagos is a Yoruba man’s land because they are the first group of people to occupy the land, which makes the land space of Lagos to become theirs. Also they are the once expected to majorly take the shame and glory of any issues that befalls the land. For example if crisis befall this country today, other tribes will escape to their land leaving the Yoruba’s to stand and defend Lagos alone. (Fact)
B) Lagos belongs to all Nigerians
This might sound contradicting to the first answer which is a fact but let’s face reality, Lagos belongs to the whole tribes that inhabit the land and Nigeria at large (once a capital of Nigeria which mean it was once develop by fed govrt). The development of Lagos was not made possible by the Yoruba’s alone but all Nigerians and her inhabitant. The population distribution alone shows the effect of non-Yoruba’s in the development of Lagos. Take Lagos out of the southwest the rest states is as good as Benue, Ebonyi, Taraba and kwara. Take non-Yoruba’s and their investment out of Lagos then it’s as good as Sokoto, Oyo and Owerri. (Fact)
Also Lagos belongs to all her inhabitant because Section 25(1) of the constitution promises a single Nigeria citizenship while Section 42 expressly forbids discrimination against other Nigerian based on the circumstance of their birth. Not minding the indigenous practices.

CONCLUSION
Every tribes coming to Lagos should understand and must accept that Lagos is not a no man’s land; it belongs to the Yoruba’s. And also, the Yoruba’s should come to reality and understand that development and certain factors have make Lagos not only their but all Nigerians. So fretting most of the Yoruba’s inciting the hate statements are Yoruba’s that came to Lagos from other nearby state for greener pasture like the non-Yoruba’s. Give the northerners this opportunity god has given you to Kano they will so grab it with three hands. So the Yoruba’s should understand that united development have make Lagos a land for all, except they want to make it uncomfortable for other tribe and at the end they will be having another Ekiti in the same region. (Ask those from Warri what crisis is capable of).
[b] (If a Kenyanist can become the president of America because of civilization,
Don’t see why we Nigeria should harboring sentiment among our self)[/b]therefore
I huge all Nigeria to understand that
Lagos is not a no mans land.
Lagos is a Yoruba's mans land.
Lagos was made possible by her inhabitant.
Lagos belongs to all Nigerians.

COMR ISHANI OBAKPORORO
BUILDERTWIST@YAHOO.COM
FOR REGRET OR CORRECTION

1 Like

Re: WHO OWNS LAGOS? by loosecanon50(m): 1:09am On Apr 09, 2015
wetin concern me
Re: WHO OWNS LAGOS? by drtwist(m): 1:09am On Apr 09, 2015
Quote but pls no insult
Re: WHO OWNS LAGOS? by Volksfuhrer(m): 2:16am On Apr 09, 2015
Before we become entangled in a morass of confusion, we need to answer a few questions:

1. Ikeja is the capital of Lagos State, where in Lagos State was the former capital city of Nigeria? Or,

2. Were the boundaries of the former capital city coextensive with the whole of Lagos State?

I reserve my comments until these questions are answered.
Re: WHO OWNS LAGOS? by drtwist(m): 6:54am On Apr 09, 2015
U have to understand that Ikeja is a local govrt inn lagos and two lagos canonly share boundaries with ogun.
Re: WHO OWNS LAGOS? by Ilekeh(f): 6:56am On Apr 09, 2015
The fact that we're asking this question is disrespectful to Yoruba hosts.

2 Likes

Re: WHO OWNS LAGOS? by drtwist(m): 7:01am On Apr 09, 2015
Ilekeh:
The fact that we're asking this question is disrespect to Yoruba hosts.
don't think u have read the post, maybe because it was too long. Learn to be optimistic.
Re: WHO OWNS LAGOS? by Wendyslim(f): 7:02am On Apr 09, 2015
The ndigbo shd try to read dis . Lagos is not a no mans land. It is owned by Yorubas and u will agree wit me dat Yorubas are more accommodating dats why dey are proving to also be son of the soil

2 Likes

Re: WHO OWNS LAGOS? by adebisicutie: 7:03am On Apr 09, 2015
See question undecided
Re: WHO OWNS LAGOS? by drtwist(m): 7:18am On Apr 09, 2015
Wendyslim:
The ndigbo shd try to read dis . Lagos is not a no mans land. It is owned by Yorubas and u will agree wit me dat Yorubas are more accommodating dats why dey are proving to also be son of the soil
why keep mentioning a particular tribe?
The Igbo knws lagos belongs to yorubas and you should also knw lagos belongs to all Nigeria.
Re: WHO OWNS LAGOS? by Oklander: 7:18am On Apr 09, 2015
I am neither Yoruba, Igbo or House, but Lagos belngs to the Yorubas, every other story up there is for the gods.

3 Likes

Re: WHO OWNS LAGOS? by drtwist(m): 7:29am On Apr 09, 2015
Mod pls do the needful o
Re: WHO OWNS LAGOS? by ElekeNtioba: 8:10am On Apr 09, 2015
drtwist:

nice write-up bt here is the problem i have with your claims. You said "...Lagos was initially called 'Eko' which referred mainly to the island" and the "first set of people to settle in 'Eko' were the Aworis". Then you turned and said "...Island become a Benin war-camp called “EKO” under Oba Orhogba, the Oba of Benin at that time." Pls clarify....who gave Lagos its first name

Here is a more plausible version supported by some historical accts; Lagos was initially called Eko. Eko was founded by Benin warriors as their war-camp. The Awori were the first yoruba to come...some say they were brought in as conquered slaves. The decline of the Benin Empire saw Eko made a colonial settlement by the Portuguese who gave it the name 'Lagos'. With the exit of the Portuguese, the yorubas mostly aworis who have grown in number and clout (as the influence of the Benin empire dimnished) took over...even assuming the titular head of the settlement....Oba of Lagos...a legacy of the Benin founders.

So its safe to say the Binis are the original landlords of Lagos. The yorubas only took over after being empowered by the portuguese.
Re: WHO OWNS LAGOS? by Nobody: 8:14am On Apr 09, 2015
Oklander:
I am neither Yoruba, Igbo or House, but Lagos belngs to the Yorubas, every other story up there is for the gods.

Lagos is Nigeria.
Re: WHO OWNS LAGOS? by Nobody: 8:17am On Apr 09, 2015
Oba of benin.

Oba of Lagos.

Is it that Benin people are the real owners of Lagos?
Re: WHO OWNS LAGOS? by drtwist(m): 8:33am On Apr 09, 2015
ElekeNtioba:

nice write-up bt here is the problem i have with your claims. You said "...Lagos was initially called 'Eko' which referred mainly to the island" and the "first set of people to settle in 'Eko' were the Aworis". Then you turned and said "...Island become a Benin war-camp called “EKO” under Oba Orhogba, the Oba of Benin at that time." Pls clarify....who gave Lagos its first name

Here is a more plausible version supported by some historical accts; Lagos was initially called Eko. Eko was founded by Benin warriors as their war-camp. The Awori were the first yoruba to come...some say they were brought in as conquered slaves. The decline of the Benin Empire saw Eko made a colonial settlement by the Portuguese who gave it the name 'Lagos'. With the exit of the Portuguese, the yorubas mostly aworis who have grown in number and clout (as the influence of the Benin empire dimnished) took over...even assuming the titular head of the settlement....Oba of Lagos...a legacy of the Benin founders.

So its safe to say the Binis are the original landlords of Lagos. The yorubas only took over after being empowered by the portuguese.
the Benins are not the original owner they only conquer the Aworis which were the first settlers. Also by the time the aworis( fishermen) settled in the island there was no name to it, it was after the binis have settle(and conquer the Aworis) b4 the name EKO comes to play.
Re: WHO OWNS LAGOS? by ElekeNtioba: 8:38am On Apr 09, 2015
drtwist:
the Benins are not the original owner they only conquer the Aworis which were the first settlers. Also by the time the aworis( fishermen) settled in the island there was no name to it, it was after the binis have settle(and conquer the Aworis) b4 the name EKO comes to play.

well the binis disagree. they say it was merely a land they converted into a war-camp for their warriors and that the aworis were slaves brought to the camp.
Re: WHO OWNS LAGOS? by dunkem21(m): 8:44am On Apr 09, 2015
ElekeNtioba:

You sabi history wella.

If I add my voice, and break down in pieces the huge connection between the Benin kingdom and Lagos, this forum will burn.

We are in a charged atmosphere ..sleeping dogs should lie.
Re: WHO OWNS LAGOS? by ElekeNtioba: 8:49am On Apr 09, 2015
dunkem21:

You sabi history wella.

If I add my voice, and break down in pieces the huge connection between the Benin kingdom and Lagos, this forum will burn.

We are in a charged atmosphere ..sleeping dogs should lie.

Please do add ur voice, I want to add to what i know. The forum will survive any fire outbreak... grin grin
Re: WHO OWNS LAGOS? by drtwist(m): 8:55am On Apr 09, 2015
ElekeNtioba:

well the binis disagree. they say it was merely a land they converted into a war-camp for their warriors and that the aworis were slaves brought to the camp.
But that is not what history makes us to understand
Re: WHO OWNS LAGOS? by dunkem21(m): 8:57am On Apr 09, 2015
ElekeNtioba:

Please do add ur voice, I want to add to what i know. The forum will survive any fire outbreak... grin grin

I am not surprised. grin

Your moniker, ElekeNtioba says it all grin

Maybe after the electionsgrin

..Continues filling my choice side of the lagoon view, knacking my kpako before dem go put toll gate grin
Re: WHO OWNS LAGOS? by Nobody: 9:04am On Apr 09, 2015
When real wahala starts in Naija, we shall know who owns Lagos. Pray it does not come to that.
Re: WHO OWNS LAGOS? by Canme4u(m): 9:06am On Apr 09, 2015
ElekeNtioba:

...and do you know that Benins are Yorubas ?
Re: WHO OWNS LAGOS? by drtwist(m): 9:11am On Apr 09, 2015
tpacalipse:
When real wahala starts in Naija, we shall know who owns Lagos. Pray it does not come to that.
Nobody is praying for problem to b4 lagos because all tribes have something to lose. that is the more reason why lagos does not belongs tothe yorubas alone
Re: WHO OWNS LAGOS? by Jwonder4eva: 9:18am On Apr 09, 2015
Benin Kingdom owns Lagos!!!!!! The aworis were once our slave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: WHO OWNS LAGOS? by backtosender: 9:22am On Apr 09, 2015
bini people are the original owner of lagos
Re: WHO OWNS LAGOS? by drtwist(m): 9:27am On Apr 09, 2015
backtosender:
bini people are the original owner of lagos
Elaborate.
Re: WHO OWNS LAGOS? by omoiseselagba: 9:40am On Apr 09, 2015
ElekeNtioba:

IT DEPENDS ON WHAT WE UNDERSTAND AS LAGOS AND LAGOS AS A STATE.LAGOS COMPRISE OF LAGOS ISLAND AND SMALL PART OF THE LAGOS MAINLAND SUCH AS IDO,EBUTTE METTA,SURULERE.LAGOS AS A STATE HAS THE IJEBUS FROM IKORODU,EPE,IBEJU,ETI OSA DOWN TO LEKKI AND UP TO THE BOUNDARY WITH THE MAIN IJEBU PEOPLE IN IJEBU ODE.BADAGRY TOO IS PART OF LAGOS AS A STATE.THE OWNERS OF LAGOS BEFORE STATE CREATION ARE THE AWORIS AND A POCKET OF EGUN PEOPLE FROM BADAGRY.THE OWNERS OF LAGOS AS A STATE ARE THE IJEBUS,EGUN AND AWORI.SO THERE FORE,LAGOS STATE IS 100% YORUBA(AWORI AND IJEBU) AND EGUN LAND.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: WHO OWNS LAGOS? by ElekeNtioba: 9:45am On Apr 09, 2015
Canme4u:

...and do you know that Benins are Yorubas ?

The Binis say they are your progenitors. they say that oduduwa whom you agree is your ancestor was a renegade prince from Benin kingdom. They point to his name which has a similar structure to benin names like Erediuwa, etc.

So far historical accts have lent more credence to their version:

The original people and founders of the Benin Empire, the Edo people, were initially ruled by the Ogiso (Kings of the Sky) dynasty who called their land Igodomigodo. The rulers or kings were commonly known as Ogiso. Igodo, the first Ogiso, wielded much influence and gained popularity as a good ruler. He died after a long reign and was succeeded by Ere, his eldest son. In the 12th century, a great palace intrigue and battle for power erupted between the warrior crown prince Ekaladerhan son of the last Ogiso and his young paternal uncle. In anger over an oracle, Prince Ekaladerhan left the royal court with his warriors. When his old father the Ogiso died, the Ogiso dynasty was ended as the people and royal kingmakers preferred their king's son as natural next in line to rule.

The exiled Prince Ekaladerhan, who was not known in Yoruba land, somehow earned the title of Oni Ile-fe Izoduwa which is now corrupt to yoruba language as Ooni (Oghene) of Ile-Ife Oduduwa and refused to return, then sent his son Oranmiyan to become king. Prince Oranmiyan took up his abode in the palace built for him at Usama by the elders (now a coronation shrine).....

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benin_City

Somehow the yoruba narrative about oduduwa's seem to corroborate their version:

Oral history of the Oyo-Yoruba recounts the coming of the Oba Oduduwa from the east...

no one is really sure where in particular but its a fact d benin kingdom is east of yorubaland.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oduduwa
Re: WHO OWNS LAGOS? by Canme4u(m): 9:52am On Apr 09, 2015
ElekeNtioba:

The Binis say they are your progenitors. they say that oduduwa whom you agree is your ancestor was a renegade prince from Benin kingdom. They point to his name which has a similar structure to benin names like Erediuwa, etc.

So far historical accts have lent more credence to their version:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benin_City

Somehow the yoruba narrative about oduduwa's seem to corroborate their version:

no one is really sure where in particular but its a fact d benin kingdom is east of yorubaland.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oduduwa

Even when you choose to say it upside down in order to serve your purpose you are still saying the same thing.

Benins are Yorubas and Yorubas are Benins.

What different does it make as to which comes first before which?

You Igbo clowns better stay put or you norish the consicuence

1 Like

Re: WHO OWNS LAGOS? by jimi4us: 9:54am On Apr 09, 2015
as long as am concern , Lagos is a no mans land.
Re: WHO OWNS LAGOS? by santos247(m): 10:00am On Apr 09, 2015
BEfore you vote on saturday

(1) (2) (Reply)

NASS Leadership: Again, Tinubu Tears Into Buhari, Atiku / The Real Reason Why Those Former PDP Senators Decamped Back To PDP / BREAKING News!-top Secret Reveled, Nigerians Are Asking Could This Be True?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.