Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,586 members, 7,809,122 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:03 AM

Car Debate :who Would You Prefer To .teach U How To Drive - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Debate :who Would You Prefer To .teach U How To Drive (1930 Views)

10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. / 12 Phrases You Wil NEVER Get Unless You Learnt How To Drive In Nigeria. / Is It Ok To Drive This Car As A Lady(photo)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Car Debate :who Would You Prefer To .teach U How To Drive by adorablepepple(f): 1:38pm On Apr 09, 2015
Who will you prefer to teach you how to drive, ur spouse? Ur siblings? A professional driving school instructor or your parents .
I prefer my my siblings cause there will be no shouting or scolding all the time
My experience with my mum
The day my mum taught me how to drive is a day I will never forget, after teaching me several times and felt I should have known it after several shouting n insult she came down from the car (the drivers side) ,I was thinking we were about to exchange, that she will sit by my side while I drive but I was mistaken, when she came down she went to a very far place and told me to drive myself ,it was from that place she was giving me instructions, I felt like crying that day, so finally I put myself together and turned on the ignition and accelerated, Hnmmmmm I started moving before I knew What was happening I started entering people's farm (like household enemies were waiting form me in d bush )and destroying there crops didn't know Where the brake was again and my mum had to Start calling my phone telling me Where to match, it was crazy, I ended up going to each farmers house to beg them for mistakenly bulldozing there crops courtesy of my mum who was monitoring me from afar!
Re: Car Debate :who Would You Prefer To .teach U How To Drive by Nobody: 1:43pm On Apr 09, 2015
Are your siblings certified driving instructors? Go to a driving school.
Re: Car Debate :who Would You Prefer To .teach U How To Drive by dechandel(f): 2:26pm On Apr 09, 2015
Whatever happened to driving schools

Meanwhile, i pray not to have my mum as my driving instructor in my next life lipsrsealed
Re: Car Debate :who Would You Prefer To .teach U How To Drive by Nobody: 3:00pm On Apr 09, 2015
I learnt how to drive with a couplee of friends.

It was a terrible experience.

Total cars crashed: 3

Colossal damage: Little

Headlights broken: 4

Total lives lost: None
grin
Re: Car Debate :who Would You Prefer To .teach U How To Drive by DGD1(m): 4:21pm On Apr 09, 2015
chipmunkey:

grin

I lyk ur analysis.
in my case no one taught me, had access to car since age of 12 n had a body of older lad.

BT if I were a lady, I will choose a male fwend who is very close, the guy would treat u well n b very patient with u.
family members esp parents is a no-no except ......... u can endure all the yabbing

1 Like

Re: Car Debate :who Would You Prefer To .teach U How To Drive by Nobody: 7:10pm On Apr 09, 2015
dechandel:

Meanwhile, i pray not to have my mum as my driving instructor in my next life lipsrsealed
Lmao! My mum declined the offer when I asked her for it. Thank Goodness! grin

My Dad taught me. I actually didn't like the idea of a driving school, cos I was scared I'd damage the car in the process of learning. I felt damaging my dad's would be better than someone else's car, but luckily, I didn't damage the car after all.

To God be the glory. cheesy
Re: Car Debate :who Would You Prefer To .teach U How To Drive by lonelydora: 7:34pm On Apr 09, 2015
DGD1:

I lyk ur analysis.
in my case no one taught me, had access to car since age of 12 n had a body of older lad.

BT if I were a lady, I will choose a male fwend who is very close, the guy would treat u well n b very patient with u.
family members esp parents is a no-no except ......... u can endure all the yabbing

No one taught me too. I had access to cars at the age of 16. From the above, I will prefer a driving school instructor.
Re: Car Debate :who Would You Prefer To .teach U How To Drive by dechandel(f): 7:48pm On Apr 09, 2015
Victoriousvic:

Lmao! My mum declined the offer when I asked her for it. Thank Goodness! grin

My Dad taught me. I actually didn't like the idea of a driving school, cos I was scared I'd damage the car in the process of learning. I felt damaging my dad's would be better than someone else's car, but luckily, I didn't damage the car after all.

To God be the glory. cheesy
I am always shocked when peeps bring up the talk of damaging cars while learning how to drive..
Your nerves gat to be strong behind the wheels joor tongue grin

Dads' are more patient in cases like these.
Mumsi go shout leave the car for you sef grin angry
And i second girls asking their male buddies to coach them, they go all easy cheesy
Re: Car Debate :who Would You Prefer To .teach U How To Drive by Nobody: 8:30pm On Apr 09, 2015
If I hadn't passed my driving test, I would NOT take driving lessons from anyone other than a certified ADI (Advanced Driving Instructor). I actually taught myself how to drive, I used to watch my dad drive his Volkswagen Brasilia, I was 11 at the time.

When it was time to actually acquire a Driver's Licence, (aged 18) I already knew all there was to know about an automobile - both in terms of driving, as well as how to strip an automobile down to it's components, and reassemble it.

I took 2 driving lessons from a certified ADI - not because I wasn't confident handling an automobile (I was) but because I would qualify to have free use of the ADI's car on my test date (which she booked on my behalf). I passed first time.

It is not advisable to take lessons from friends, family, spouse etc. Even if they are qualified ADI's. The reasons are simple. To benefit from instruction, the tutor needs to be someone without any emotional attachment to the student. Family are no good at installing driving discipline to a learner, an instructor who has no emotional attachment to the student does NOT have to be nice, or treat the student with kid gloves. Instructions are given in a cold, clinical manner, which is better than the velvet glove approach from a friend or family member, who may be less likely to let you know when you've made a massive blunder.

2 Likes

Re: Car Debate :who Would You Prefer To .teach U How To Drive by Nobody: 6:47am On Apr 10, 2015
dechandel:
I am always shocked when peeps bring up the talk of damaging cars while learning how to drive..
Your nerves gat to be strong behind the wheels joor tongue grin

Dads' are more patient in cases like these.
Mumsi go shout leave the car for you sef grin angry
And i second girls asking their male buddies to coach them, they go all easy cheesy
Mumsi's shout fit make you enter gutter sef. grin

Can you drive? tongue
Re: Car Debate :who Would You Prefer To .teach U How To Drive by dechandel(f): 7:42am On Apr 10, 2015
Victoriousvic:

Mumsi's shout fit make you enter gutter sef. grin

Can you drive? tongue
Yes. Not too well o grin grin
Re: Car Debate :who Would You Prefer To .teach U How To Drive by Nobody: 7:59am On Apr 10, 2015
dechandel:
Yes. Not too well o grin grin
Lol. That's quite impressive. Ever driven on the road, or highway? tongue
Re: Car Debate :who Would You Prefer To .teach U How To Drive by dechandel(f): 8:06am On Apr 10, 2015
Victoriousvic:

Lol. That's quite impressive. Ever driven on the road, or highway? tongue
Hehehehe..
Yes ofcourse tongue grin
Re: Car Debate :who Would You Prefer To .teach U How To Drive by Nobody: 9:21am On Apr 10, 2015
dechandel:
Hehehehe..
Yes ofcourse tongue grin
So, what's the 'not too well' about your driving? tongue
Re: Car Debate :who Would You Prefer To .teach U How To Drive by dechandel(f): 9:37am On Apr 10, 2015
Victoriousvic:

So, what's the 'not too well' about your driving? tongue
I have no license yet grin grin
So a driving test need to prove my perfection before i can go on and on grin grin.. You grab now abi??
Re: Car Debate :who Would You Prefer To .teach U How To Drive by JoeCutie(m): 10:48am On Apr 10, 2015
Nobody ever taught me how to drive. I sneaked into mumsi's room, grabbed her car keys, rushed to the garage, started the engine and zoomed off. I went to the market, bought things and came back.

When mumsi noticed that her car was missing, she knew it was me. She was worried as I had not driven before. She hurried outside the gate, by then my phone had been long turned off. She waited outside the gate. When she saw me driving back, she didn't know it was me, she thought it was a cab man. I honked and flashed the headlights at her and sped into the compound. At that point, I was already prepared for whatever outcome I might face. Contrary to my fears, my mum just walked up to me at the garage and said, "This boy... I'll never doubt you again. Never!". From then, I turned my mum's unofficial driver.

I've since driven many cars (auto & manual) including bus. Nobody taught me one day how to do all these things. I'm very observant. I observe, I apply what I observe. I just don't get it when people spend weeks, even months learning how to drive in every field they see. Well... grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Car Debate :who Would You Prefer To .teach U How To Drive by Nobody: 1:29pm On Apr 10, 2015
dechandel:
I have no license yet grin grin
So a driving test need to prove my perfection before i can go on and on grin grin.. You grab now abi??
Lol. We're in the same boat. Haven't gotten my license yet. grin
Re: Car Debate :who Would You Prefer To .teach U How To Drive by dechandel(f): 2:44pm On Apr 10, 2015
Victoriousvic:

Lol. We're in the same boat. Haven't gotten my license yet. grin
cheesy cheesy cheesy
JoeCutie:

I'm very observant. I observe, I apply what I observe. I just don't get it when people spend weeks, even months learning how to drive in every field they see. Well... grin
@Bolded, you are right.. One can go a long way by just watching and observing.

1 Like

Re: Car Debate :who Would You Prefer To .teach U How To Drive by Nobody: 2:46pm On Apr 10, 2015
dechandel:

lolz
Very soon I go show your mum all these allegations.
_both whatsapp and NL...

@OP, an instructor is okay for me
Re: Car Debate :who Would You Prefer To .teach U How To Drive by dechandel(f): 2:53pm On Apr 10, 2015
Kachisbarbie:

lolz
Very soon I go show your mum all these allegations.
_both whatsapp and NL...

@OP, an instructor is okay for me
Heheheheh.. But i still gbadu the woman o grin grin
Re: Car Debate :who Would You Prefer To .teach U How To Drive by Nobody: 2:59pm On Apr 10, 2015
Nigerian roads/traffic. tongue
Re: Car Debate :who Would You Prefer To .teach U How To Drive by Nobody: 3:46pm On Apr 10, 2015
blublahd:
Nigerian roads/traffic. tongue
Esp Lagos traffic and the Danfo drivers. They don't spare learners. cry
Re: Car Debate :who Would You Prefer To .teach U How To Drive by JoeCutie(m): 10:16pm On Apr 10, 2015
dechandel:
cheesy cheesy cheesy
@Bolded, you are right.. One can go a long way by just watching and observing.
So you drive?
Re: Car Debate :who Would You Prefer To .teach U How To Drive by PhweshyJ(f): 6:02am On Apr 11, 2015
JoeCutie:
Nobody ever taught me how to drive. I sneaked into mumsi's room, grabbed her car keys, rushed to the garage, started the engine and zoomed off. I went to the market, bought things and came back.

When mumsi noticed that her car was missing, she knew it was me. She was worried as I had not driven before. She hurried outside the gate, by then my phone had been long turned off. She waited outside the gate. When she saw me driving back, she didn't know it was me, she thought it was a cab man. I honked and flashed the headlights at her and sped into the compound. At that point, I was already prepared for whatever outcome I might face. Contrary to my fears, my mum just walked up to me at the garage and said, "This boy... I'll never doubt you again. Never!". From then, I turned my mum's unofficial driver.

I've since driven many cars (auto & manual) including bus. Nobody taught me one day how to do all these things. I'm very observant. I observe, I apply what I observe. I just don't get it when people spend weeks, even months learning how to drive in every field they see. Well... grin
Bad boy! tongue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Car Debate :who Would You Prefer To .teach U How To Drive by Juliesexy(f): 6:23am On Apr 11, 2015
JoeCutie:

That's my Lewis Hamilton. wink Do you want to be a Bus driver? cheesy tongue

Jeez! You look sexy, cute and dapper in your profile picture. Wow! kiss smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Car Debate :who Would You Prefer To .teach U How To Drive by JoeCutie(m): 9:32am On Apr 11, 2015
PhweshyJ:
Bad boy! tongue
Good girl. wink
Re: Car Debate :who Would You Prefer To .teach U How To Drive by adorablepepple(f): 7:54pm On Apr 16, 2015
dechandel:

Lmao, my mum too. It wasn't a funny experience
Re: Car Debate :who Would You Prefer To .teach U How To Drive by adorablepepple(f): 8:15pm On Apr 16, 2015
chipmunkey:

grin
Lol,so funny
Re: Car Debate :who Would You Prefer To .teach U How To Drive by Nobody: 8:44pm On Apr 16, 2015
adorablepepple:

Lol,so funny
It was no joke o!
First time I was about 18 y.o and I was handed the steering wheel of the vehicle while we went on an errand. I stepped on the pedal and rammed the bus into an A.boki's kiosk. Thank God he wasn't around and the kiosk was empty, I could have killed him.

No need to mention the vehicle suffered a minor dent and scratches on it's bumper.

(1) (Reply)

World Famous Cars And Their First Cars Ever Made / What Do You Think Of The 2007-2009 Suzuki XL-7 / PHOTOS: Innoson Motors Unveils Made-in-anambra Luxury G80 And G40 Suvs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.