Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,317 members, 7,808,069 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:35 AM

Help I Have A Huge Problem Relating With People - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Help I Have A Huge Problem Relating With People (1234 Views)

3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You / Understanding Temperaments And Relating It With Careers / Is It Good To Leave Huge Amount Of Money In Ur Salary Account? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help I Have A Huge Problem Relating With People by aknopic: 12:20am On Apr 10, 2015
My name is akinwunmi am a student studying law.
I ave a huge problem relating with people especially girls
This is how the problem goes
when a girl talks to me, I feel difficulty replying, I just mumble words like I don't know how to speak good eng.
When i talk I just feel sth restraining my vocal cord
My movement is also not leftout, I just feel like I am not the one moving and thereby becoming absent minded.

Also when am about to talk to someone I feel like sth is in my head, my eyes will get dry, I get a feeling of mouth of odour all these block me from passing info thereby leading to BLACKOUT.

My public speaking is not also leftout. I feel pressured all arnd my body wen I am about to speak
I don't know if there's any one here that can help please embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed I don't want my life and career to be ruined just because of this.
Re: Help I Have A Huge Problem Relating With People by RoyalBlak007: 12:22am On Apr 10, 2015
do you weed?
Re: Help I Have A Huge Problem Relating With People by aknopic: 12:26am On Apr 10, 2015
RoyalBlak007:
do you weed?
NO embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Help I Have A Huge Problem Relating With People by CHM11: 12:34am On Apr 10, 2015
You a virgin?
Re: Help I Have A Huge Problem Relating With People by Nobody: 12:46am On Apr 10, 2015
Take your self out, go to places, social gatherings, the earlier the better. I know a friend who has everything right now. I doubt if he will ever find a soul mate because even if he stand infront of his own very better half its a big problem to say HI.
Re: Help I Have A Huge Problem Relating With People by Elbizzcklinz(m): 7:13am On Apr 10, 2015
[email][/email]info@rivprojectonline.com u can contact me directly
Re: Help I Have A Huge Problem Relating With People by Elbizzcklinz(m): 7:16am On Apr 10, 2015
My dear, u actually have no problem, it is just a weakness u will overcome once u stand up against the challenging task... I was once like u; infact i even sweat (in AC room) when being asked anything.. I took up the challenge, - i started reading books, going for event, associating with social group, had a circle of people i talk often with, from there i started developing.... i stated associating with the opposite sex, asked someone out but then i wasnt strong, i still failed (had sweat running over me, just to ask). But i didn,t give up, i tried and eventually here i am... positively opposite of what i am.... ladies flocks around.... my composture, eloquency in speaking and humour makes them wow. -ok lemme tell the other side, i dont make girlfriend but i have a lot of female friends who does more than girlfriends. -Is it public speaking..... i will finish work, What led to this changes was i stood up tasking myself against this difficulty...no matter what...it is normal to fail when trying but never give up trying....Your last attempt might bring u up.....

2 Likes

Re: Help I Have A Huge Problem Relating With People by CrazyMan(m): 8:14am On Apr 10, 2015
"Inferiority complex" that's what you're suffering from.

You should start believing in yourself. Stop placing yourself below everyone.

Being shy is a weakness, and believe me if you don't over come it now, its gonna cost you a lot in future cos no client would hire the service of a lawyer who's suffering from inferiority complex.
Re: Help I Have A Huge Problem Relating With People by Ephemmm: 9:21am On Apr 10, 2015
aknopic:
when a girl talks to me, I feel difficulty replying, I just mumble words like I don't know how to speak good eng.
My movement is also not leftout, I just feel like I am not the one moving and thereby becoming absent minded.

Also when am about to talk to someone I feel like sth is in my head, my eyes will get dry, I get a feeling of mouth of odour all these block me from passing info thereby leading to BLACKOUT.

My public speaking is not also leftout. I feel pressured all arnd my body wen I am about to speak
I don't know if there's any one here that can help please embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed I don't want my life and career to be ruined just because of this.

Dear Akinwumi,

I have been in your shoe and my situation was worse than yours when I was in school too, despite the fact that I was among the best students in my department as at then. I could have not known the solution to offer, but I am delighted to learn that you were still in school studying: this means you still have 100% means of overcoming this predicament. As at then, I was timid and very hesitating in the choice of words to the extent that I cannot face a single person when communicating.

If you are an introvert like me, it is normal. But guess what! I overcame this problem successfully to the amazement of even my father, colleagues, and relatives. But mind you, I took some steps which I would like to underscore here. I know you are brilliant and comfortable when it comes to written skills, but lags behind when it comes to public speaking, but you will be astonished that I became the best student when it comes to public speaking in my department within three months.

The best solution in my own opinion is for you to avoid limiting your learning to the four walls of classrooms. In school, try to take up leadership roles even if it is a course/football/classroom captain: there is nothing hindering you from becoming a legislator or President whether at your departmental level or at SUG level. This will force you to face people, address, socialize, and communicate often.

Let me use my own situation as an example. I was so talented when it comes to academics to the extent that the scholar of my set knows that I have something upstairs more than him during my undergraduate days without recognition. Unless mandated, I will never stand up to answer any questions being asked by the lecturer even with 100% assurance of knowing it. I can be inside my room for complete three days if there is power supply on the first hand, while I can stay within a room for one week if this is coupled with good "old school" music on the other hand.

I was wallowing in this predicament when some drama started unfolding: firstly, I was among those who were chosen to represent their department when the SUG election is to be conducted. Come and see how I was flourishing among my peers when debating issues though my response will either be so sort or whispered to the ears of the person sitting next to me to be communicated. But with the passage of time, I have stepped up within the shortest period of time. From there, I became the Secretary of the body in that year and the election just ended.

On getting back to my department, my colleagues noticed a little change - my leadership and communicational skills has greatly improved. As a result of this, I was nominated to go for the Departmental President willy-nilly despite the fact that two of my mates have been in the race for the past two years.

D-day comes, I worn the election with two days of campaigning with great margin to my personal astonishment. By occupying this post, I have to meet students during electioneering campaign, I have to face them and communicate to ascertain their expectations: I have to prepare speech during induction ceremony for freshers, during sport I motivates, during debates I repose confidence, and during inter-departmental meetings, I argues. In the end, my department was awarded the best department on campus as at then.

This was how I came out of my shell up till date and it has been extra-ordinary: though the traces of being an acute introvert is still traceable in me up till date.

In short, Practise! Practise! and Practise! speaks without fear of being wrong: perfection is not attainable within a day. Also, some books were helpful then though I might not be able to remember them in-to-to:

1. The virile leader
2. Why you act the way you do
3. How to make friend and influence people by Stephen Covey

God bless you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help I Have A Huge Problem Relating With People by aknopic: 12:01pm On Apr 10, 2015
Ephemmm:

Dear Akinwumi,

I have been in your shoe and my situation was worse than yours when I was in school too, despite the fact that I was among the best students in my department as at then. I could have not known the solution to offer, but I am delighted to learn that you were still in school studying: this means you still have 100% means of overcoming this predicament. As at then, I was timid and very hesitating in the choice of words to the extent that I cannot face a single person when communicating.

If you are an introvert like me, it is normal. But guess what! I overcame this problem successfully to the amazement of even my father, colleagues, and relatives. But mind you, I took some steps which I would like to underscore here. I know you are brilliant and comfortable when it comes to written skills, but lags behind when it comes to public speaking, but you will be astonished that I became the best student when it comes to public speaking in my department within three months.

The best solution in my own opinion is for you to avoid limiting your learning to the four walls of classrooms. In school, try to take up leadership roles even if it is a course/football/classroom captain: there is nothing hindering you from becoming a legislator or President whether at your departmental level or at SUG level. This will force you to face people, address, socialize, and communicate often.

Let me use my own situation as an example. I was so talented when it comes to academics to the extent that the scholar of my set knows that I have something upstairs more than him during my undergraduate days without recognition. Unless mandated, I will never stand up to answer any questions being asked by the lecturer even with 100% assurance of knowing it. I can be inside my room for complete three days if there is power supply on the first hand, while I can stay within a room for one week if this is coupled with good "old school" music on the other hand.

I was wallowing in this predicament when some drama started unfolding: firstly, I was among those who were chosen to represent their department when the SUG election is to be conducted. Come and see how I was flourishing among my peers when debating issues though my response will either be so sort or whispered to the ears of the person sitting next to me to be communicated. But with the passage of time, I have stepped up within the shortest period of time. From there, I became the Secretary of the body in that year and the election just ended.

On getting back to my department, my colleagues noticed a little change - my leadership and communicational skills has greatly improved. As a result of this, I was nominated to go for the Departmental President willy-nilly despite the fact that two of my mates have been in the race for the past two years.

D-day comes, I worn the election with two days of campaigning with great margin to my personal astonishment. By occupying this post, I have to meet students during electioneering campaign, I have to face them and communicate to ascertain their expectations: I have to prepare speech during induction ceremony for freshers, during sport I motivates, during debates I repose confidence, and during inter-departmental meetings, I argues. In the end, my department was awarded the best department on campus as at then.

This was how I came out of my shell up till date and it has been extra-ordinary: though the traces of being an acute introvert is still traceable in me up till date.

In short, Practise! Practise! and Practise! speaks without fear of being wrong: perfection is not attainable within a day. Also, some books were helpful then though I might not be able to remember them in-to-to:

1. The virile leader
2. Why you act the way you do
3. How to make friend and influence people by Stephen Covey

God bless you.
Thanks for this
Please moderators help move this to the front page[size=8pt][/size]
[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Help I Have A Huge Problem Relating With People by aknopic: 7:58am On Apr 11, 2015
pls moderators this is really a huge problem for me
I know there are pple out there that have been in this messy situation b4 and overcame.
I just want to know how they did it pls mods. as I have said I'm law student and this is a key part of my life I need to tackle.

And I heard that nairaland is a place for solutions so that wats pushed me here
Re: Help I Have A Huge Problem Relating With People by KillerBeauty(f): 3:39pm On Apr 12, 2015
My advice. Start with having an inner confidence. Having one on one discussions with friends will help build your outward confidence. Learn to be less embarassed whenever you flop or make any silly mistake during discussion. People have short memory, they can't always remember your mistakes they are probably more concerned about their own lives. After you've gained one on one confidence, you can now face a bigger crowd.
Re: Help I Have A Huge Problem Relating With People by aknopic: 9:01am On Apr 17, 2015
aknopic:

Re: Help I Have A Huge Problem Relating With People by aknopic: 9:28pm On Apr 17, 2015
My name is akinwunmi am a student studying
law.
I ave a huge problem relating with people
especially girls
when a girl talks to me, I feel difficulty replying, I
just mumble words like I don't know how to
speak good eng.
When i talk I just feel sth restraining my vocal
cord
My movement is also not leftout, I just feel like I
am not the one moving and thereby becoming
absent minded.
Also when am about to talk to someone I feel like
sth is in my head, my eyes will get dry, I get a
feeling of mouth of odour all these block me from
passing info thereby leading to BLACKOUT.
My public speaking is not also leftout. I feel
pressured all arnd my body wen I am about to
speak
I don't know if there's any one here that can help
please I don't want my life and
career to be ruined just because of this.

(1) (Reply)

Picture Of A Lady Barber. / How Do I Develop My Self At 30 / Pilot Training Program

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.