Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,841 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:00 AM

Advice On Game Development - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Advice On Game Development (4327 Views)

Game Development Guides For Beginners / Game Development / Should It Be Java Or Python For Game Development? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice On Game Development by wohlay24(m): 11:21am On Apr 10, 2015
I am interested in developing games for android, windows and IOS platforms and probably for PCs too but i dont know how to write codes (at least for now) i need advice on how i can go about it. I also have issues with the fact that Nigerians dont pay for games, how do you think i can fix this? Thanks in advance
Re: Advice On Game Development by thewebcraft(m): 11:55am On Apr 10, 2015
There is very little scope for game development in Nigeria. There are no big game studios, and very few firms developing mobile games.
There is no single course which will teach you about game or app design. Even so called professional courses teach you very little of the skills required to become a game developer.

For these reasons, you are better off going abroad and doing a course there. You will pick up useful skills, and job opportunities are much better. While your math and physics skills might be useful, they are frankly irrelevant. Most game design happens within APIs and Game Engines. Physics libraries are predefined, so there is no need to start from scratch.

However, if you truly want to proceed, you need to pick up the necessary skills, Some can be learned from institutes like NIIT, but most will have to be picked up on your own.
Android app development
iOS app development
Facebook API
Graphics design - Maya 3D, Flash, Dreamweaver, Blender etc
Game Engines - Unreal, CryEngine, Frostbite, Unity etc
Graphics APIs - DirectX, OpenGL, Mantle

In addition, some subjects to concentrate on in case you are doing engineering are -
Basic Programming - C/C++, Java
Data Structures
File handling
Operating Systems
Computer Graphics
Artificial Intelligence
Analysis and Design of Algorithms
GUI
Human - Computer Interaction

Best of luck.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice On Game Development by wohlay24(m): 12:04pm On Apr 10, 2015
thanks very much....m actually a grad of economics
Re: Advice On Game Development by thewebcraft(m): 12:09pm On Apr 10, 2015
wohlay24:
thanks very much....m actually a grad of economics
You are welcome. I'm a software developer just in case you want to learn just web/mobile app development you can contact me.
Re: Advice On Game Development by megasamuel(m): 12:20pm On Apr 10, 2015
Think u should choose a favorite language first then search online for tutorials and good luck
Re: Advice On Game Development by wohlay24(m): 12:23pm On Apr 10, 2015
thewebcraft:

You are welcome. I'm a software developer just in case you want to learn just web/mobile app development you can contact me.
send me your email pls
Re: Advice On Game Development by wohlay24(m): 12:23pm On Apr 10, 2015
megasamuel:
Think u should choose a favorite language first then search online for tutorials and good luck
Will try that thanks
Re: Advice On Game Development by megasamuel(m): 12:25pm On Apr 10, 2015
You are welcome. am also still learning
Re: Advice On Game Development by thewebcraft(m): 12:34pm On Apr 10, 2015
wohlay24:

send me your email pls
lucky@chroniclesoft.com

1 Like

Re: Advice On Game Development by Nobody: 7:20pm On Apr 10, 2015
The language to learn when developing video games. With UNity3d c#, Java script and boo

Other video game studios like unreal, bio ware and co have thier own engines.
I suggest u start with C# and then try the free version of unity. Way to go from there

1 Like

Re: Advice On Game Development by Adewag: 8:54pm On Oct 28, 2015
West African Gaming Expo aims to introduce educational gaming, game designing, game development and game playing to the local African community. Like previous events, Over a 2 days period, WAGE will aim to educate attendees about game development, generating revenue from gaming and how they can break into the tech industry through gaming.

This year’s WAGE event, WAGE 15 will see children as young as 5 years old being taught the basics of coding and game creation.

Industry development: the WAGE conference will aim to develop the gaming with experts from around the world expected to take part in the 2 day Expo. We will aim to discuss topics relevantto developers working in the region such as; Generating Investments and Revenue, Marketing a Game, Content Development etc. Through WAGE 15 exhibition, we will create an atmosphere that encourages networking between participants.

Education: Gaming and education is a growing trend around the world. More educational institution are noticing students are more focused and interested in what they are learning when they are learning in an interactive manner. WAGE 15 will also focus on the teachers, we aim to train and show teacher how to utilize a more interactive educational platform in the classroom. Through the WAGE 15 conference developers session, we will have subjects that aims to educate teachers on how to utilize these platforms in their classrooms. We believe if the African gaming industry is to grow, we need to start educating children on the topic of coding and working with computers from a very early age.
This is why at this year’s WAGE event, we will showcase games that can be used to teach children the basics of coding whilst also teaching children as young as 5 years old how to code and create games.

Job creation: We believe the gaming industry will create more entrepreneurs in Nigeria. The barrier to entry is low as all that is needed to make a game/code is a laptop and free software. Through WAGE 15, we will aim to put Africa game developers on a platform where they can be recognised around the globe and connecting them with potential investors.

1 Share

Re: Advice On Game Development by darchyneer(m): 3:42pm On Dec 29, 2015
Send me your email. Let's talk
Re: Advice On Game Development by degee(m): 10:33am On Jun 24, 2016
thewebcraft:
There is very little scope for game development in Nigeria. There are no big game studios, and very few firms developing mobile games.
There is no single course which will teach you about game or app design. Even so called professional courses teach you very little of the skills required to become a game developer.
For these reasons, you are better off going abroad and doing a course there. You will pick up useful skills, and job opportunities are much better. While your math and physics skills might be useful, they are frankly irrelevant. Most game design happens within APIs and Game Engines. Physics libraries are predefined, so there is no need to start from scratch.
However, if you truly want to proceed, you need to pick up the necessary skills, Some can be learned from institutes like NIIT, but most will have to be picked up on your own.
Android app development
iOS app development
Facebook API
Graphics design - Maya 3D, Flash, Dreamweaver, Blender etc
Game Engines - Unreal, CryEngine, Frostbite, Unity etc
Graphics APIs - DirectX, OpenGL, Mantle
In addition, some subjects to concentrate on in case you are doing engineering are -
Basic Programming - C/C++, Java
Data Structures
File handling
Operating Systems
Computer Graphics
Artificial Intelligence
Analysis and Design of Algorithms
GUI
Human - Computer Interaction
Best of luck.

Arrand Nonsense! Rubbish. Dude. Like seriously stop misleading young and upcoming great minds. Your post really made me bust into laughter.
Had to login and comment. Only about 10% of everything you said is real fact. Stop abeg please, kindly stop. The country is bad and backwards enough.
Re: Advice On Game Development by mtwonder: 3:10am On Jun 26, 2016
im building a game actually is gonna be out by midle of next month is not easy to build a lot of hardworking but i start with 2d first so once my game is out i will post it on nairaland for people to download play and criticize
Re: Advice On Game Development by ashishsharma(m): 6:32am On Jul 18, 2018
Hello friends
I read about your game development issues if you really want to get the best advice about how to code and develop a stunning game application in 2D and 3D.

We can help you with that...!

We have talented game developers that can really fulfill your demand at low cost (starting from 10$/hour). For the best result, you can hire our talented pool of game developers resources on the daily, weekly, and monthly basis.

I hope I am able to help for some reason.
Re: Advice On Game Development by Recruitmentform: 11:52am On Aug 23, 2018
ashishsharma:
Hello friends
I read about your game development issues if you really want to get the best advice about how to code and develop a stunning game application in 2D and 3D.

We can help you with that...!

We have talented game developers that can really fulfill your demand at low cost (starting from 10$/hour). For the best result, you can hire our talented pool of game developers resources on the daily, weekly, and monthly basis.

I hope I am able to help for some reason.

What's your contact
Re: Advice On Game Development by Johnwick64: 12:41pm On Mar 15, 2021
op I don't think you should target just Nigeria as the market for your game.Go global abeg nothing is stopping you..If Nigerians do not pay, Americans,Europe's would pay
Re: Advice On Game Development by Abendroth: 11:57am On Aug 15, 2022
I can only advise you to read beforehand about which companies can be useful for you when outsourcing your game development. For example, I used game graphic studio to create a game based on my screenplay written seven years ago. Soon I plan to do a release of this game and would like to hear your opinion.

(1) (Reply)

For Young And Basic Web Development HOP IN / Is Data Science Worth Learning / How Can Java Take Care Of My (future) Needs?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.