Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,796 members, 7,806,202 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:00 PM

6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) (42890 Views)

Do Private University Graduates Find It Hard To Get Jobs In Nigeria? / 5 Benefits Of Choosing A Private University And Polytechnic / Pic: Difference Between A Private University & A Federal University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by Msquare220: 9:17pm On Apr 10, 2015
Many Nigerian students these days often move quickly to queue for private universities when making a choice of institution. I agree that private universities have advantages like the absence of strike, easy access to lecturers… Well, that’s about all.

Public universities, federal and state, have a lot of advantages, from cheaper school fees, to the freedom to be an adult. Public universities expose you to the real world, introduces you to the hustle of life unlike private universities that consist of a lot of brats who are literally spoon-fed. They are so pampered, ​making difficult to face the real world when they become graduates.
So here’s my case for choosing a public university.

1. Public universities allow for freedom and independence:

Students in public universities enjoy the freedom to make decisions for themselves and learn to be almost independent. Private universities keep students within the four walls of their campuses and under certain rules more suited for teenagers than young adults. The laws in public universities are not imposed on the students; they are just the basic principles a normal student is meant to follow. It’s funny when I see pictures of private university students being punished or hear of certain rules like compulsory attendance of chapel, feeding time tables, dress codes, etc.​.​ It is absurd; these are adults​!​

2. Cost of education:

It is a lot cheaper to attend public university than a private one and this is not limited to school fees. Cost of living on public universities is also cheaper. Students cook their own meals and hav​e access to shops on campus and in town where prices of goods and services are competitive. On the other hand, the cost of living on a private university secluded campus for one semester is enough to build a house.

3. Public university g​ives “exposure” to students:

It’s more than obvious that public university students are ​”​sharper​”​ than private university students. Private university students who are often referred to as “JJC” or “Learners” by public university students, live what I term “the microwave life” which is the easy life. In federal universities you get to meet all sorts: from cultists to Aristo chicks, people with different personalities. It makes one exposed to what life really is. One is exposed to the hustle and learns how to struggle for things. There are still brats in federal universities but most of them get to grow up when exposed to the hustle.

4. Life on and off campus is FUN:

There are so many parties to attend, clubs and events. One gets to meet real people, one also learns to be real. There is a lot of gist and gossip, lot of things to laugh at. Rather than chapel, it’s clubbing. Dating is even fun in federal schools. Couples express love without fear as adults. One gets to see students that are rich and poor mingling as equals; students who express themselves through their dressing and not relegated to some uniform.

5. Hard work is compulsory:

Students in public universities have work​ed​ through exceptional odds to succeed; challenges that help one not take life for granted. Imagine a department of over a thousand students with a very small lecture hall or a lecturer who spends only twenty minutes in a class where he is meant to spend two hours, or one who only gives handouts. Faced with issues like these, students work extra hard to come out with well-deserved results.

6. Public universities produce more mature graduates:

With all the challenges: strikes, nonchalant lecturers, freedom to express yourself as adult etc., public universities are more equipped for life after graduation. They know that things would not just be handed to them and are used to making decisions for themselves. -

55 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by Nobody: 9:20pm On Apr 10, 2015
As for no 1, I beg to disagree. Not all private schoolsay discplinary rules as uve stated. Of course they usually have that right to make any rule as they like unlike public unis but surely only few of them treat students like kids.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by Msquare220: 9:37pm On Apr 10, 2015
qbd2:
As for no 1, I beg to disagree. but surely only few of them treat students like kids.
Not only few my dear, but majority of the private Universities. Though not all

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by dajoaneke(m): 10:08pm On Apr 10, 2015
qbd2:
As for no 1, I beg to disagree. Not all private schoolsay discplinary rules as uve stated. Of course they usually have that right to make any rule as they like unlike public unis but surely only few of them treat students like kids.
Aha! She's one of them! lol

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by dajoaneke(m): 10:11pm On Apr 10, 2015
What I loved about my school during my diploma days was that there were no restriction to visiting the opposite sex in the hostel. Unijos was & is still fun

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by dajoaneke(m): 10:13pm On Apr 10, 2015
What I loved about schooling in University Of Jos is that there are no restrictions to visiting the opposite sex in the hostel. Visit anyone at any time of the day or night. Unijos was & is still fun

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by Nobody: 10:14pm On Apr 10, 2015
dajoaneke:
Aha! She's one of them! lol
Far from dat, but a sister of mine attended lead city.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by Promxy94(m): 11:02pm On Apr 10, 2015
Op have u heard of Igbinedion university before....if you have i then think you should know and believe that some private universities like Igbinedion are just exactly like public universities,no restrictions on students,u experience student life,the class is condusive for learning..........the only difference between Igbinedion university from public unis is just the school fees....

So op mind you not all private unis are glorified secondary school

21 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by amokeme(f): 12:34am On Apr 11, 2015
educational discrimination, tribalism, religious conflict... all in one country! infact... I just don't understand the beef with private unis.. seriously you choose to be in a fedral uni, that's fine. I choose to be in a private uni, totally my business. so what exactly is your problem OP??
"freedom is restricted" let them worry about that
"its expensive" you are not the one paying
"exposure" (really? maybe you should explain the kinda exposure you mean
"life on campus is fun" I can only laugh at this. morality is the key word. but since your definition of fun is clubbing, parties, dating, gossips (well I know you ll out grow that someday). and talking about meeting real people? hehe trust me you have no idea grin
"hard work is compulsory" and you think we don't work hard in private unis? well my dear, we do. the only difference is that we get to see the result of our hard work.. which makes working hard easy cheesy unlike in "some" federal schs that the hard work of a student is being frustrated..
"produce more mature graduates" maturity is an individual thing. private unis graduates are doing just fine.. you might be too hateful to see it buh it doesn't change the fact..
finally, its not the uni that matters, its what you can deliver smiley

106 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by Sibrah: 3:30am On Apr 11, 2015
5. Hard work is compulsory:
Students in public universities have work​ed​ through exceptional odds to succeed; challenges that help one not take life for granted. Imagine a department of over a thousand students with a very small lecture hall or a lecturer who spends only twenty minutes in a class where he is meant to spend two hours, or one who only gives handouts. Faced with issues like these, students work extra hard to come out with well-deserved results.
You mean when u sort your self through some 25% of your workload and copy-copy another 25% to scale through abi? Keep deceiving yourself. Please don't even start cos the average course that goes for 3 units in public schools weights 2 unit in average private school. The industrial report says it all.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by Sibrah: 3:32am On Apr 11, 2015
6. Public universities produce more mature graduates:
With all the challenges: strikes, nonchalant lecturers, freedom to express yourself as adult etc., public universities are more equipped for life after graduation. They know that things would not just be handed to them and are used to making decisions for themselves.
Trash. character is as important as learning.

10 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by dahfweshdude69: 3:33am On Apr 11, 2015
They are all useless..like i even care undecided
Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by Sibrah: 3:41am On Apr 11, 2015
1. Public universities allow for freedom and independence:
Students in public universities enjoy the freedom to make decisions for themselves and learn to be almost independent. Private universities keep students within the four walls of their campuses and under certain rules more suited for teenagers than young adults. The laws in public universities are not imposed on the students; they are just the basic principles a normal student is meant to follow. It’s funny when I see pictures of private university students being punished or hear of certain rules like compulsory attendance of chapel, feeding time tables, dress codes, etc.​.​ It is absurd; these are adults​!​
I don't get this particular one, how do they make decision for themselves. Do they make decision of writing exams for themselves also? Truth is one community is more organized by reason of lots of things being laid out clearly, that does not make people there incapable of having their own opinion, it only means they agreed to go with rules that has been laid down in that system.
I think it takes some level of control over self to be able to abide by stringent rules for 4 or 5 years.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by Sibrah: 3:41am On Apr 11, 2015
2. Cost of education:
It is a lot cheaper to attend public university than a private one and this is not limited to school fees. Cost of living on public universities is also cheaper. Students cook their own meals and hav​e access to shops on campus and in town where prices of goods and services are competitive. On the other hand, the cost of living on a private university secluded campus for one semester is enough to build a house.
Really. The Govt spends average of N 300,000 per annum per student in public federal school(Uni.). Now when you compare what they are getting from those campuses and lecture hall to people paying as low as N 350,000 in some private school, the diff becomes clear. 20 hours a day power supply, good accommodation, and good record keeping. Add all the ugly things that goes on in a bid to get this 'subsidy' by all means and the gap becomes even wider.
It is only a matter of who is paying the bills.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by ednut1(m): 4:56am On Apr 11, 2015
Mumu op. go to the top companies in nigeria convenant, babcock nd bowen students are making waves there. dey mumu urself der. ur skul does nt determine who u are

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by Msquare220: 5:02am On Apr 11, 2015
Sibrah:

You mean when u sort your self through some 25% of your workload and copy-copy another 25% to scale through abi? Keep deceiving yourself. Please don't even start cos the average course that goes for 3 units in public schools weights 2 unit in average private school. The industrial report says it all.
I think you are the one deceiving yourself.
Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by Msquare220: 5:06am On Apr 11, 2015
ednut1:
Mumu op. go to the top companies on nigeria convenant, babcock nd bowen students are making waves there. dey mumu urself der. ur skul does nt determine who u are
And how does that give You the right to call me names? Respect yourself

4 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by Msquare220: 5:11am On Apr 11, 2015
Sibrah:

It is only a matter of who is paying the bills.
Of course that's the point and that's the reason its been called fed/state University

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by Msquare220: 5:19am On Apr 11, 2015
Sibrah:

I don't get this particular one, how do they make decision for themselves. Do they make decision of writing exams for themselves also? Truth is one community is more organized by reason of lots of things being laid out clearly, that does not make people there incapable of having their own opinion, it only means they agreed to go with rules that has been laid down in that system.
I think it takes some level of control over self to be able to abide by stringent rules for 4 or 5 years.
Agreed to go with rules that has been laid in that system That's the point, advance Sec. School rules
Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by Msquare220: 5:21am On Apr 11, 2015
Sibrah:

Trash. character is as important as learning.
Trash
Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by Msquare220: 5:30am On Apr 11, 2015
Promxy94:
Op have u heard of Igbinedion university before....if you have i then think you should know and believe that some private universities like Igbinedion are just exactly like public universities,no restrictions on students,u experience student life,the class is condusive for learning..........the only difference between Igbinedion university from public unis is just the school fees....

So op mind you not all private unis are glorified secondary school
Yeh but 90% or more are glorified Sec. School. BTW You study there or?
Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by Msquare220: 5:33am On Apr 11, 2015
dajoaneke:
What I loved about schooling in University Of Jos is that there are no restrictions to visiting the opposite sex in the hostel. Visit anyone at any time of the day or night. Unijos was & is still fun
Yeh yeh public Uni all the way!!!
Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by MOA15(m): 6:16am On Apr 11, 2015
Trash. If you have the sponsorship tto attend private uni, I blif yu won't opt for fed uni wre you will spend 6yrs for a 4yr course. Thatt asyd, Just like how covenant Uni was recently ranked as the best uni in W/A, most of the best uni in uk/us are private

14 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by eben2020(m): 6:38am On Apr 11, 2015
Op, but private unis student get employment fast and 1 of D is reason is character. Check well coolOp, but private unis student get employment fast and 1 of D is reason is character. Check well

5 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by SELENAqueensy(f): 6:48am On Apr 11, 2015
Am not complaining, like it that way

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by Olamitisoji(m): 7:10am On Apr 11, 2015
Op have you being to Afe Babalola University? Or Pan Atlantic University? These are universities far more better in terms of the favours of the public universities you mentioned.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by Yustash001(m): 7:33am On Apr 11, 2015
You nailed it bro.....landmark university is the worst of it all...it's just like an advanced Secondary School......phone is not allowed,going to chapel is compulsory,you can only go out of the school three times in a month e.t.c...the worst part is that if you try to do anything funny by going against these rules...be ready to pack your loads because they don't care rusticating you even if you are your final year...

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by demmy0325(m): 7:43am On Apr 11, 2015
Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by Nobody: 8:59am On Apr 11, 2015
Not all public schools provide all the listed reasons

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by ipunchbitches(m): 9:39am On Apr 11, 2015
I can feel it
Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by Sibrah: 9:47am On Apr 11, 2015
The OP is here for blind bashing of private sch.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by Sibrah: 9:51am On Apr 11, 2015
Msquare220:

I think you are the one deceiving yourself.
Be specific

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Mudiame University, Irrua, Edo In Pictures / Finally Ciroma Chuckwuma Adekunle Has Pass WAEC (pic) / Gazali Tanimu Best Graduating Student In Saudi Arabia, King Fahad University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.