Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,806 members, 7,802,576 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:36 PM

Even Obama Was Reminded - A Response To Chimamanda - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Even Obama Was Reminded - A Response To Chimamanda (2501 Views)

Gumsu Abacha Replies Man Who Reminded Her Of Her Late Father / Ezekwesili: We’re Being Reminded Of Military Era. The Cable. / Even Obama Listons To Radio Biafra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Even Obama Was Reminded - A Response To Chimamanda by emonkey(m): 9:37am On Apr 11, 2015
I really never like to read political articles by celebrity artists , because they tend to be nothing more than political articles by celebrity artists. The truth is that it is the job of an artist to be unrealistic ; that is what they are good at and that is what they are celebrated for - their excellent ability to lose connection with reality. One thing that becomes clear from the episode of the altercation between Oba of Lagos and Ibos is that the Ibos actually believe that communities are built on commerce and therefore carry this attitude wherever they go. And that is why they get into trouble wherever they go.
I can only speak for Yoruba as Chimamanda can only speak for Ibo people. I know that we built our communities on enduring values which Ibos seem unable to comprehend. We built our communities on honesty, trust, kings and gods- multiples of them, many being our elevated ancestral heroes. If you are not Yoruba it is easy for you to trample on these values - especially if you have decided not to care . It will be infuriating for us to watch you trample over those values on the basis of your claim that "I can do anything anywhere in Nigeria because I am Nigerian". Yes you theoretically can but a man who dances out of synch to a music he does not understand will look like nothing else but a madman. When you have many madmen on the loose in your house and dancing to their own mad music, the community should panic.
Is it true that being Nigerian qualifies you to take anything from anywhere in Nigeria ? If you believe so, you may not be better than just any other terrorist. Chimamanda may put her argument on the basis of " what is done in civilised Western countries". But the fact is that we have more complex political structures in our many tribal communities , and they are the strings which keep us from falling apart culturally. It is for our own good that they must remain there. Citizenship does not anywhere empower you to do as wish without being questioned. Even Obama got reminded of his Kenyan roots as he strived to become president of USA. And for those like Chimamanda who live outside Nigeria, they are never foolish enough not to know that , no matter how long you, a Nigerian , have stayed in another country and you may even have become a citizen, a day is coming that an event will make you wish that you never left your country. The same applies with Nigerians living away from their cultural roots even inside Nigeria - always have it with you that you do not have a place of rest. Lagos is not no man's land , Kano is not no man's land . Enugu is not no man's land. They were founded on distinct cultural values of original settlers. To offend those values will be locally considered a great deal of disrespect .
The problem with people like Chimamanda is that she probably believes that people who either have not attained, do not understand, or do not care about her position, posture and values are unintelligent illiterates. It is always the sad message we get from our narrow-minded literary icons.Please let us be sensitive to the feelings of other people. Politics and creative writing are not very compatible .

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Even Obama Was Reminded - A Response To Chimamanda by icon8: 9:44am On Apr 11, 2015
Just the beginning...
Re: Even Obama Was Reminded - A Response To Chimamanda by miracle11: 9:51am On Apr 11, 2015
emonkey:
I really never like to read political articles by celebrity artists , because they tend to be nothing more than political articles by celebrity artists. The truth is that it is the job of an artist to be unrealistic ; that is what they are good at and that is what they are celebrated for - their excellent ability to lose connection with reality. One thing that becomes clear from the episode of the altercation between Oba of Lagos and Ibos is that the Ibos actually believe that communities are built on commerce and therefore carry this attitude wherever they go. And that is why they get into trouble wherever they go.
I can only speak for Yoruba as Chimamanda can only speak for Ibo people. I know that we built our communities on enduring values which Ibos seem unable to comprehend. We built our communities on honesty, trust, kings and gods- multiples of them, many being our elevated ancestral heroes. If you are not Yoruba it is easy for you to trample on these values - especially if you have decided not to care . It will be infuriating for us to watch you trample over those values on the basis of your claim that "I can do anything anywhere in Nigeria because I am Nigerian". Yes you theoretically can but a man who dances out of synch to a music he does not understand will look like nothing else but a madman. When you have many madmen on the loose in your house and dancing to their own mad music, the community should panic.
Is it true that being Nigerian qualifies you to take anything from anywhere in Nigeria ? If you believe so, you may not be better than just any other terrorist. Chimamanda may put her argument on the basis of " what is done in civilised Western countries". But the fact is that we have more complex political structures in our many tribal communities , and they are the strings which keep us from falling apart culturally. It is for our own good that they must remain there. Citizenship does not anywhere empower you to do as wish without being questioned. Even Obama got reminded of his Kenyan roots as he strived to become president of USA. And for those like Chimamanda who live outside Nigeria, they are never foolish enough not to know that , no matter how long you, a Nigerian , have stayed in another country and you may even have become a citizen, a day is coming that an event will make you wish that you never left your country. The same applies with Nigerians living away from their cultural roots even inside Nigeria - always have it with you that you do not have a place of rest. Lagos is not no man's land , Kano is not no man's land . Enugu is not no man's land. They were founded on distinct cultural values of original settlers. To offend those values will be locally considered a great deal of disrespect .
The problem with people like Chimamanda is that she probably believes that people who either have not attained, do not understand, or do not care about her position, posture and values are unintelligent illiterates. It is always the sad message we get from our narrow-minded literary icons.Please let us be sensitive to the feelings of other people. Politics and creative writing are not very compatible .
shut up pls. Are u people d only once wit culture and values. Why push down d throat of others. Dis country has to move forward and people like u won't help it . Ur unprovoked Obas statement is a disgrace no matter hw u view it. Speaking of honesty and trust. Lol. Ur race is d beginning and d end of betrayal, lies,distrust and hypocrisy. Backstabers in and out

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Even Obama Was Reminded - A Response To Chimamanda by Nobody: 9:54am On Apr 11, 2015
Interesting how all these will turn out. For too long the Nigerian nation has skipped along over many thorny and unresolved issues. Time is running out.
Re: Even Obama Was Reminded - A Response To Chimamanda by emonkey(m): 10:01am On Apr 11, 2015
miracle11:
shut up pls. Are u people d only once wit culture and values. Why push down d throat of others. Dis country has to move forward and people like u won't help it . Ur unprovoked Obas statement is a disgrace no matter hw u view it. Speaking of honesty and trust. Lol. Ur race is d beginning and d end of betrayal, lies,distrust and hypocrisy. Backstabers in and out

With all respect I agree with you that "this country has to move forward" . But you apparently have resolved that it must move forward in your own direction. I am afraid it will not work, and for as long as you resolve also not to care about aspirations of other cultural "nations" , it will never work . The Oba's statement was not disgraceful; it was a cry of alarm that his community is being overcome by cultural invaders. Rather than abuse him , your people really ought to find out what his fear are about .
I really don't know where your closing insults came from , so I will safely ignore them.

5 Likes

Re: Even Obama Was Reminded - A Response To Chimamanda by harbibi: 10:01am On Apr 11, 2015
I do believe the two governorship candidates are yoruba men. Why threaten another tribe to vote in favour of one against the other? Hmm.

3 Likes

Re: Even Obama Was Reminded - A Response To Chimamanda by Nobody: 10:14am On Apr 11, 2015
Yoruba with all their pedigrees entwined with academics are still the noisiest and dirtiest clan in Nigeria.Op,have u had your plate of palm oil soup and amala??

3 Likes

Re: Even Obama Was Reminded - A Response To Chimamanda by emonkey(m): 10:15am On Apr 11, 2015
You may insult and threaten me online as much as you like, but I have presented you with the facts. Ignore them or accept them; you have a choice. Thanks
I am out of this.
Re: Even Obama Was Reminded - A Response To Chimamanda by Crocz(m): 10:16am On Apr 11, 2015
I'd decided not to comment on this overflogged issue until I saw Chimamanda's article, and as usual just like people of her iyke portrays the Igbo as the victims. Yes the Oba erred on threathening the Igbos, and all and sundry condemned it.

What I cannot stand is when people refer to the genocide, point fingers and absorb themselves of blames...if she can't be objective, she'd do well to stick to writing her novels and all.

I'll suggest Igbo's thread carefully, let sleeping dog lie...do not provoke your host with stupid taunts...probably something you don't know, a Yoruba King takes pride in his words...don't push him to deliver on his threats. There are medieval ways of drowning people in the lagoon, certainly a Yoruba King has the power to do so...only Yoruba will understand

I represent peace, always!

1 Like

Re: Even Obama Was Reminded - A Response To Chimamanda by WisdomFlakes: 10:17am On Apr 11, 2015
Eugenedimgba:
Yoruba with all their pedigrees entwined with academics are still the noisiest and dirtiest clan in Nigeria.Op,have u had your plate of palm oil soup and amala??

So why Una still wan die for our land? E-goat.
Re: Even Obama Was Reminded - A Response To Chimamanda by Nobody: 10:21am On Apr 11, 2015
WisdomFlakes:

So why Una still wan die for our land? E-goat.
trace your pedigree properly,you are not from lagos.Hillibilly!

2 Likes

Re: Even Obama Was Reminded - A Response To Chimamanda by kamer: 10:21am On Apr 11, 2015
emonkey:
I really never like to read political articles by celebrity artists , because they tend to be nothing more than political articles by celebrity artists. The truth is that it is the job of an artist to be unrealistic ; that is what they are good at and that is what they are celebrated for - their excellent ability to lose connection with reality. One thing that becomes lclear from the episode of the altercation between Oba of Lagos and Ibos is that the Ibos actually believe that communities are built on commerce and therefore carry this attitude wherever they go. And that is why they get into trouble wherever they go.
I know chimamanda very well ,PLEASE WHO ARE YOU

2 Likes

Re: Even Obama Was Reminded - A Response To Chimamanda by felifeli: 10:27am On Apr 11, 2015
kamer:

I know chimamanda very well ,PLEASE WHO ARE YOU

How does that relate to the article up there ? angry angry
Re: Even Obama Was Reminded - A Response To Chimamanda by jobhuntng: 10:28am On Apr 11, 2015
Re: Even Obama Was Reminded - A Response To Chimamanda by TRUTHTOPOWER: 10:40am On Apr 11, 2015
emonkey:
You may insult and threaten me online as much as you like, but I have presented you with the facts. Ignore them or accept them; you have a choice. Thanks
I am out of this.

Good job:- what these insolent elements call backstabing is what I don't understand. If it is about the alleged betrayal by Awo during the civil war it means these elements have a misplaced sense of direction. Assuming we both wanted war. then before war broke out i cautioned you to embrace peace but you went to war. you suffered casualties and you now blamed me for backstabbing you. If war is an absolute why did you surrender. why did you come back to peace. why did you not take the biblical advice that should audit your military strength before going to war? why do people believe in attack before crying for peace when faced with brute force? This may sound quite immodest but Yorubas have sufficient land mass, and shoreline with capital to be a self reliant. having no cause to fight with other tribes who leave happily in their own lands

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Even Obama Was Reminded - A Response To Chimamanda by lormarx: 10:41am On Apr 11, 2015
emonkey:
It's because of people wit little minds like you that have hindered the growth and progress of Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Even Obama Was Reminded - A Response To Chimamanda by Optional2(f): 10:52am On Apr 11, 2015
Ok ooooo
Re: Even Obama Was Reminded - A Response To Chimamanda by mekaboy(m): 10:57am On Apr 11, 2015
In other words lagos should refund the federal govt with interest all the money it invested in making lagos the capital. Then they can pick a state in the east and invest the money .

1 Like

Re: Even Obama Was Reminded - A Response To Chimamanda by felifeli: 11:09am On Apr 11, 2015
mekaboy:
In other words lagos should refund the federal govt with interest all the money it invested in making lagos the capital. Then they can pick a state in the east and invest the money .

LOL Lunatic. Does your landlord refund your rent when you move to another house ? Were ni man yi forever wallahi. grin grin grin
Guy you are a hilarious monkey grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Even Obama Was Reminded - A Response To Chimamanda by WisdomFlakes: 11:12am On Apr 11, 2015
mekaboy:

For this moronic statement I hereby rechristen you monkeyboy.

1 Like

Re: Even Obama Was Reminded - A Response To Chimamanda by meforyou1(m): 11:15am On Apr 11, 2015
Lagos is no man's land. Has always been and will always be till thy kingdom come. Tell mr akiolu I said so

1 Like

Re: Even Obama Was Reminded - A Response To Chimamanda by felifeli: 11:36am On Apr 11, 2015
WisdomFlakes:

For this moronic statement I hereby rechristen you monkeyboy.

Abi o. Some people have NO negative common sense grin grin grin
Re: Even Obama Was Reminded - A Response To Chimamanda by gratiaeo(m): 11:42am On Apr 11, 2015
Yoruba should be grateful to God for giving them peace loving Igbo. Op why not go and preach this your massage to Fulanis in Ilorin?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Even Obama Was Reminded - A Response To Chimamanda by felifeli: 11:51am On Apr 11, 2015
gratiaeo:
Yoruba should be grateful to God for giving them peace loving Igbo. Op why not go and preach this your massage to Fulanis in Ilorin?

Was this article then about Fulani in Ilorin ? Most of whom now speak Yoruba by the way . Most of them have also in many other ways been culturally absorbed by Yoruba.. Compared to Fulani , the Igbo are brutes and have no understanding of what decency means . I can't live in same house with Igbo man or woman. This is not insult I am just being honest with myself
Re: Even Obama Was Reminded - A Response To Chimamanda by Jwonder4eva: 12:07pm On Apr 11, 2015
felifeli:

Was this article then about Fulani in Ilorin ? Most of whom now speak Yoruba by the way . Most of them have also in many other ways been culturally absorbed by Yoruba.. Compared to Fulani , the Igbo are brutes and have no understanding of what decency means . I can't live in same house with Igbo man or woman. This is not insult I am just being honest with myself

Lmfao! Hahahaha... U yoruba people will not kill me ooh!. So Fulani's are now peace loving people. Hypocrites!.

1 Like

Re: Even Obama Was Reminded - A Response To Chimamanda by Volksfuhrer(m): 12:21pm On Apr 11, 2015
lormarx:
It's because of people wit little minds like you that have hindered the growth and progress of Nigeria

I disagree!

What exactly do you mean by "progress" or "growth"? Those terms are nebulous, without defining exactly what you value. But values vary from culture to culture.

The Op did a good job of highlighting the challenges we face with our diversity. There's no way you can peacefully coexist with your hosts if you are contemptuous of their culture and aspirations!
Re: Even Obama Was Reminded - A Response To Chimamanda by indeed123: 12:28pm On Apr 11, 2015
BuddahMonk:
Why didn't you guys ask for a separate country so that you will promote yoloba values, this is Nigeria so every yoloba value or whatnot is secondary and doesn't count.

This is how your king raped an Igbo youth corps member in Osun and a court.
The same Deji of Akure was fighting with his wife in the marketplace because of soup pot.

I was at Ileshan Remo one day and saw were a woman was beating an almost 80 years old grandpa, when I ask they said he is a Baale and that the woman was his 4th wife.

Now Officer Oba Akiolu is running his mouth like a faulty borehole because he is a fooolish old hag.

Biafrans needed their country you people refused now your feeling the heat of the Anthills, so live with it or jump in the Lagoon

We didn't refused. We just decided that since you people wanted to leave Nigeria, there will no need to still continue to feed your hungry people. And now all we hear about is genocide. Because it doesn't take a smart person to know that you can't continue to feed your enemy.
Re: Even Obama Was Reminded - A Response To Chimamanda by lormarx: 1:40pm On Apr 11, 2015
Volksfuhrer:

I disagree!

What exactly do you mean by "progress" or "growth"? Those terms are nebulous, without defining exactly what you value. But values vary from culture to culture.

The Op did a good job of highlighting the challenges we face with our diversity. There's no way you can peacefully coexist with your hosts if you are contemptuous of their culture and aspirations!
so what have culture and value got in a tribal leader making a statement about a specific entity. The igbo's are not the only tribe living in lagos,plz make Nigerian's understand

1 Like

Re: Even Obama Was Reminded - A Response To Chimamanda by jmoore(m): 1:51pm On Apr 11, 2015
Another post with zero% of common sense.

So why didn't the white folks kill Obama cos he got Kenyan roots?

Please, stop displaying your stone age mentality.

1 Like

Re: Even Obama Was Reminded - A Response To Chimamanda by mikolo80: 2:28pm On Apr 11, 2015
Tis clear that we are not one. Maybe Splitting up make us sit up

1 Like

Re: Even Obama Was Reminded - A Response To Chimamanda by zeestunner(m): 2:53pm On Apr 11, 2015
The great Sir ahmadu bello saw this way back in the 60s. He said if you giv certain people an inch they will want to take the whole yard.that was why he refused to allow them wrk in the civil service in the north then. Yorubas where forming intelletuals and liberals when the hausa/fulani where drawing the line now you see ? Make I hear somebody call kano or kaduna or anywhere no mans land hmm e go see im self lols. Its not late sha yoruba can correct their mistakes.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Check Out This Side By Side Photo Of Sani Abacha & Daughter Gumsu / List Of 84 Senators That Supported The Vote Of Confidence / NEW Dawn: IBB For NANS Presidency (poster)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.