Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,835 members, 7,806,352 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:10 PM

Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote (4565 Views)

Poll: Should Nigerian Citizens Abroad Be Allowed To Vote?

Yes: 75% (34 votes)
No: 24% (11 votes)
This poll has ended

Court Orders INEC To Register Young Democratic Party / Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. / 'We Don't Allow Nigerians In Here' - Port ElizaBeth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by Tonyet1(m): 10:15am On Jan 28, 2009
Court Orders Inec To Include Nigerians In Diaspora To Vote,a Welcome Idea Or Not?

News i heard this morning 28/01/09 said: COURT HAS ORDERED INEC TO PREPARE MODALITIES FOR NIGERIANS ABROAD TO VOTE IN THE UPCOMING ELECTIONS

Click here for more details

now i asked myself, could this be another smoke screen again? where our so called poiticians can have opportunities to inflate numbers and figures of our diasporas all forthe sake of winning elections

my questions are

1. what merits and demerits will this pose for our electoral systems?

2. will this be an avenue for our INEC to atleast redirect us to the use of ELECTRONIC VOTING SYSTEM in Nigeria? and if not what plans will the INEC have to acheive this new court order

3. How many Nigerians in diaspora will see this as a welcome idea, knowing the all alarming state of our electoral system in Nigeria

or could it be another DEJAVU? grin grin
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by chidichris(m): 10:37am On Jan 28, 2009
do we have inec for real?
for me, we have only iwu.
allowing nigerians abroad is not our problem neither will that offer solution to the problem.
we know the problem here is rigging and that has nothing to do with voters home or abroad.
this can only increase the rigging chances for iwu and co.
i think the only solution here will be iwu, inec or both to join the yobe state gov so that we can start all over again.
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by seun42(m): 3:15pm On Jan 28, 2009
remember our nigerian politicians are some set of maradonas

each time they want to hit a deal, they know how to simply go about it

well to me, if it is done the right way, then it willl bea welcome idea in the right direction
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by mustafar1: 3:27pm On Jan 28, 2009
let the rigging from the diaspora begin.
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by BOSS7: 3:41pm On Jan 28, 2009
must_a_far:

let the rigging from the diaspora begin.

Are you predicting doom? wink
No be me make that comment above o lipsrsealed
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by Kobojunkie: 3:47pm On Jan 28, 2009
Well, some diasporans travel back to Nigeria to vote during elections, but this new development may be an attempt from INEC to get diasporans to vote in absence. What would this require? Online voting? Voting by Mail? By Phone? Why do we need this at this time?
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by gbolah1(m): 3:56pm On Jan 28, 2009
Wonder shall never end in nigeria, am yet to understand how Iwu want to go about this again
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by mustafar1: 4:03pm On Jan 28, 2009
B.O.S.S.:

Are you predicting doom? wink
No be me make that comment above o lipsrsealed

BOSS, i am not predicting doom. i wouldnt want such for anyone. even me enemies.

my statement was prompted by the preceeding actions of a certain Inec and its chairman. not long ago, retarded snackwrap (inec chairman) spilled some HIV in the line of, "america should learn to conduct its elections in one day" he went further by saying, "they should also keep a single voters register" and a whole lot more HIV. and i thought real quick, how would this be done, it might be a pre-election day voting kinda thing. would it be by fone, mail, online, txt, email, prometric center, ati be be lo.

then i thot, oh the nigerian embassies in the diapora would pitch in, then i realised, even the embassy doesnt know how many legal nigerians reside in the country under its jurisdcition, common website they cant keep up to date, when you visit said website you get information totally different from what is required of you.

dont get me wrong, the first thot that came to my head wasnt what i posted, the first thot that came to my head was, cool i'll be able to vote for who runs lagos and nigeria's affairs. then the comment i posted dawned on me. who would be incharge of collating these diapora votes? the same snackwrap who spread that intellectual HIV?

[s]by the way if you are wondering what a snackwrap is, its a sandwich at McD's (i hate fast food) and the name snackwrap just sounds like a curse word although its not. lol[/s]
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by naijacutee(f): 4:19pm On Jan 28, 2009
Does the fact that we are abroad make us any less Nigerian?
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by Raymond88(m): 4:29pm On Jan 28, 2009
Like voting would even make a difference in the first place!
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by edujoy(m): 4:34pm On Jan 28, 2009
Even people in Ajegunle are claiming residents of ,
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by lucabrasi(m): 4:37pm On Jan 28, 2009
lets hope this will be the incentive for armchair critics to finally go back home and put their words into real pro active action
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by Epiphany(m): 4:42pm On Jan 28, 2009
Wow, a chance for the riggers to rig some more. Do we actually know the number of Nigerians outside Nigeria? Do we even know the number of Nigerians in Nigeria?
I am looking at a situation where INEC will come back with a number like, "10m Nigerians vote for Atiku" when there are probably only 5 million people eligible to vote
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by Shaz(f): 4:46pm On Jan 28, 2009
Hmmn. . It doesn't really make much sense to me because Nigerians abroad are not fully aware of what is happening in the country and might not make the right decisions in voting people with the right manifestos.

I don't know if that sounded right but I mean only he who wears the shoe knows where it pinches. There should be a certain amount of years (months) of abode in Nigeria required for people to be able to vote (prior to the voting day). This is to verify that the voter has the knowledge of his surroundings and their vote is truly going to make a difference.

Just my opinion though.
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by BOSS7: 4:51pm On Jan 28, 2009
I think there’s a lot of grey area surrounding this new development and while I think this is a good progress (for the future) I sincerely hope it works because we cannot even implement a fair election at home right now, so what more about the foreign land?
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by Kobojunkie: 4:59pm On Jan 28, 2009
Currently a Diasporan can go to Nigeria and vote with no problems. Again, how does INEC intend to enable absentee voting. By Phone? By Mail? Or ByWeb?

Shaz:

Hmmn. . It doesn't really make much sense to me because Nigerians abroad are not fully aware of what is happening in the country and might not make the right decisions in voting people with the right manifestos.

Do you suppose Nigerians living in Nigeria are more aware of what is happening in the country then? I mean if this is your argument then we should accept that the current situation is as a result of the choices made by these people who are more aware than those outside and it is the best we can get, and maybe we deserve. grin

Shaz:

I don't know if that sounded right but I mean only he who wears the shoe knows where it pinches.

Are the Nigerians in Nigeria the only ones who wear this shoe of yours? You mean those who live abroad but still have families and businesses back do not wear those shoes? They don’t have an understanding of what is going on down there?

Shaz:

There should be a certain amount of years (months) of abode in Nigeria required for people to be able to vote (prior to the voting day). This is to verify that the voter has the knowledge of his surroundings and their vote is truly going to make a difference.

Just my opinion though.

How do you verify this knowledge of surroundings? Aren’t you in some way eliminating many Nigerians who live in Nigeria in the same? Or does this only apply to Nigerians who live outside of Nigeria? I would think to be fair, all persons who choose to vote, be subject to the same verification process. Lol
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by ilaugh1: 5:06pm On Jan 28, 2009
Tell me one single thing these people will have to offer the country? Giving them right to vote will only give them more opportunity to stain the country with their ill voices and curses, we do not want them, they mean nothing to Nigeria.
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by mustafar1: 5:09pm On Jan 28, 2009
i_laugh:

Tell me one single thing these people will have to offer the country? Giving them right to vote will only give them more opportunity to stain the country with their ill voices and curses, we do not want them, they mean nothing to Nigeria.

i_laugh are you in the diaspora? if yes, then you are one of the people who you claim dont have anything but ill voices and curses to offer. thats simply what you comment meant. hopefully u wont be a diasporan so i'll have to eat all my words.
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by Tonyet1(m): 5:09pm On Jan 28, 2009
@i-laugh

whom exactly do you mean?

i sure hope u aint referring to our diasporas
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by ilaugh1: 5:15pm On Jan 28, 2009
I make the "diaspora" a place to go and chill after a long time working, a place to reap their wealth and trasfer it to my beloved Nigeria - I dont call it or make it home, i will never hope to praise it more than my country, i will remember my country for giving me all the opportunities i have in life - wether the country is good or bad - i wil not look at the diaspora as a place better than my home - Nigeria.

Thus, in sincerity, ask yourself, what do these people who live abroad have to offer Nigeria? Tell me in truth, all they see is darkness, they complain about darkness, all the time, gloom, failure, thats all they see, but I ask them, why will you see darkness all the time without making any attempt to spark a light to turn the darkness into light.
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by blacksta(m): 5:18pm On Jan 28, 2009
Can votes from the diaspora determine the outcome of an election in Nigeria?
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by Kobojunkie: 5:20pm On Jan 28, 2009
blacksta:

Can votes from the diaspora determine the outcome of an election in Nigeria?

It could if the system itself was not already rigged. The main problem I have with all this is that INEC is supposedly in charge of the move and has yet to announce the how of it all.
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by Shaz(f): 5:24pm On Jan 28, 2009
Like I said, it's my opinion.

And yes, the verification process should be for every Nigerian. . whether abroad or in the country.

Kobojunkie:

Do you suppose Nigerians living in Nigeria are more fully aware of what is happening in the country then? I mean if this is your argument then we should accept that the current situation is as a result of the choices made by these people who are more aware than those outside and it is the best we can get, and maybe we deserve. grin

Are the Nigerians in Nigeria the only ones who wear this shoe of yours? You mean those who live abroad but still have families and businesses back do not wear those shoes? They don’t have an understanding of what is going on down there?

Yes, I do think that Nigerians living in Nigeria are the ones experiencing the life in Nigeria - we might claim that since Nigerians abroad are still Nigerians, then we should be allowed the same privileges of voting but how do the changes in Nigeria affect your day-to-day life?

You probably have an understanding but trust, an understanding is far different from an experience.

That's why I said if the Nigerians abroad are allowed to vote, they should have spent a certain amount of time in the country before being awarded the privilege of voting.

Simple.

Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by mustafar1: 5:28pm On Jan 28, 2009
@i_laugh, you didn't answer my question but all well.

the same things you wish for Nigeria is what they wish for Nigeria. they questions Nigerian leaders actions doesn't make dem hate Nigeria. because Nigerians probe everything Nigerian with a scalpel doesn't mean they hate Nigeria. we all see the water in the glass at the halfway line, why you might see it as soon this water would soon get filled up, some might see it as that, it would soon be empty. but i tell you the majority of people who question things dont belong to any of those two groups. they belong to the group that, asks questions in trying to determine what direction the water is heading.
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by Gbosko: 5:29pm On Jan 28, 2009
Nigerians in Nigeria should first be allowed to vote and transit government in an atmosphere of peace and fairness devoid of rigging and bitterness. Then we can start thinking of involving Nigerians in diaspora because then we would be sure that the diaspora votes would count. Anything short of that would be stupid and could be likened to Nigeria placing satellite in space when electricity cannot be kept steady for 3hours in most of the major cities. Gbam! grin
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by ilaugh1: 5:32pm On Jan 28, 2009
When government suggested the diasporians move back home, they all said over their dead bodies- they opined, they can never be found dead in Nigeria, so, tell me, what purpose is allowing them vote, what purpose is that to serve? rather than making them more swollen headed, what purpose is it going to serve the other "suffering Nigerians" who hasnt been given the opportunity to go abroad to make it big? I want to know. Most of them have even denounced their citizenship, so, what do we want their votes for?
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by Kobojunkie: 5:37pm On Jan 28, 2009
Again, Diasporans already vote. It is not about right to vote but about how to vote.

Shaz:

Like I said, it's my opinion.

And yes, the verification process should be for every Nigerian. . whether abroad or in the country.

Fair Enough!!! Just so you know, this would probably mean that a lot of Nigerians living in Nigeria may be denied right to vote simply because they do not meet this requirements put in place by this verification process of yours. Are you sure that is the sane thing to do?

Shaz:

Yes, I do think that Nigerians living in Nigeria are the ones experiencing the life in Nigeria - we might claim that since Nigerians abroad are still Nigerians, then we should be allowed the same privileges of voting but how do the changes in Nigeria affect your day-to-day life?

You seem to have missed the part where I stressed that your opinion, you are sort of telling us that the way Nigeria is right now is the way it ought to be. Is this the case? You ask how I get this? Well, if Nigerians in Nigeria are, according to you, the ones experiencing the life in Nigeria, then we should accept that past and current leaders were duely elected by the people of Nigeria, who according to you, know more of the country than anyone else does and so it is, dare I say, perfect as is.

Or are you going to come back with a response that the reason why it people are calling for change in all areas is because of the few diasporans who choose to travel each election to go vote in the country?

Shaz:

You probably have an understanding but trust, an understanding is far different from an experience.
You can choose to define it the way you want but I do hope you see what you are saying here.

Shaz:

That's why I said if the Nigerians abroad are allowed to vote, they should have spent a certain amount of time in the country before being awarded the privilege of voting.

Simple.

Would you apply this same reasoning if it were not Nigerians in diaspora that were being considered here? Last I checked, your voting right comes with citizenship. So, say you are a citizen of the USA and you have never really lived there, you can still go back and vote. What you are saying is that an 18 year old visiting Nigeria for the first time and happens to find himself right in the middle of election season should be denied right to vote, is this the case?
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by mustafar1: 5:41pm On Jan 28, 2009
government suggested diasporans move back home. yes i agree that there are some diasporans who wouldnt know where MMA located not to talk of know if planes actually land there. but in the same diaspora, we have people willing to pack up overnight and go pitch in their 2cents if the conditions are right. but the conditions they see are not encouraging, it would seem swimming in rip tide.

it is known that nothing in life comes easy but even the most simple of tasks are made complicated not by government but by nigerians themselves.
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by ohaechesi(m): 5:47pm On Jan 28, 2009
Court has just come up with an irrelevant issue again. to me, its a game plan between the chairman of the Inec Mr. Iwu and Co. or else better issues would have been in their agenda such as restoring the naira value. What has voting got to do with person leaving abroad if there is transparency in Nigerian system of government? Absolutely nothing. if any body in diaspora should see Nigerian politics viable, then the person should fly down to Nigeria and vote when the time comes. Abeg, enough of all this child's play
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by debosky(m): 5:49pm On Jan 28, 2009
Nigerians abroad who hold citizenship should be allowed to vote.

It won't help in a pre-rigged system though, and it will open further doors for corrupt officials to 'travel abroad' to canvass votes from the Diaspora.  undecided

Transparency of the current electoral system is the prime need right now not this.

I can forsee there being a Fashola rally in London to support him versus Obanikoro rally in Birmingham or something.  grin grin

This is a distraction in my view - without reforming the electoral system, we will simply be creating further avenues for rigging and other electoral malpractices. I can imagine a politician going to say Ghana and getting thousands to vote for him and claim to be Nigerians (after bribing embassy officials or customs agents to issue false passports)
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by CrudeOil2(m): 5:52pm On Jan 28, 2009
Home-based nigerians never vote finish, dem come dey talk say foreign based go begin to dey vote.
Re: Court Orders INEC To Allow Nigerians Abroad To Vote by ilaugh1: 5:56pm On Jan 28, 2009
@Debosky

and also the politicians giving money to the diasporians and the diasporians collecting the money and the diasporians helping in riging the election, or are you saying the diasporians have ben washed clean of the Nigerian syndrome in them, or you assume they ca not be bought with moeny like those back home? Please answer me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari: Nigeria Lacks Visionary Leadership / Aregbesola In Germany For Agric Talks / Scam Alart: Don't Fall Victim To This People (visa/green Card Scam)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.