Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,848 members, 7,802,710 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:41 PM

FIFA Loses Faith In Nigeria (Under 17 World Cup) - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / FIFA Loses Faith In Nigeria (Under 17 World Cup) (3928 Views)

Arsenal To Sign Nwakali Chukwueze Nigeria Under 17 Starlets / Nigeria Under-17 Star Victor Osimhen Completes Spurs Move / Nigeria Vs Australia: FIFA U-17 World Cup: (6 - 0) On 29th October 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FIFA Loses Faith In Nigeria (Under 17 World Cup) by BOSS7: 2:06pm On Jan 28, 2009
Fifa loses faith in Nigeria 

By Oluwashina Okeleji
BBC Sport, Lagos   

The Under-17 World Cup is due to take place in Nigeria in October
Fifa vice-president Jack Warner has raised fresh concerns over Nigeria's preparations for their hosting of October's Under-17 World Cup.

Speaking at an event in Abuja to launch the official emblem, Warner said: "I have always had faith in Nigeria but at the moment that faith is not there."

Warner is chairman of the organising committee for the tournament, and was not impressed after touring the facilities.

"I cannot go back to Fifa and say yes, Nigeria is ready, because plenty still has to be done before we get to that stage.

"Apart from Abuja, only the stadium in Ijebu Ode is ready and encouraging of the nine stadiums presented.

"I feel pain, but even though I do not want to take away the joy of [the launch] tonight, I still have to be honest and face the truth.

"And the truth is that you still have a long way to go, but I have always believed in Nigeria and I know you can do it."

Warner did not say that the tournament will be taken away from Nigeria, but he made it clear that time is running out.

"Hopefully when we return in March, things would have taken a better shape," he said.

"But please, get started with the work at these stadiums and let us fulfil the promise of Africa hosting all three World Cups in 2009 and 2010."

Last year Fifa expressed concerns over the progress of preparations, and in October, Nigeria's President Umaru Yar'Adua decided that the country should pull out of hosting the event, until the budget was revised.

At Monday's event, the country's Vice-President, Goodluck Jonathan, assured Fifa that there will be an improvement.

"We know what is expected and we promise those things will be in place by the time you return, it is a promise," he said.

"The importance of football to the Nigerian people cannot be undermined and that is the more reason we will ensure massive improvement."

Nigeria lost the right to host the 1995 Under-20 World Cup, due to lack of facilities and medical concerns.

But the country successfully hosted the tournament four years later, with Spain winning the trophy.

With South Africa hosting the 2010 World Cup, the continent will also this year stage the Under-20 World Cup in Egypt, and the Under-17 World Cup in Nigeria.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/7853991.stm
Re: FIFA Loses Faith In Nigeria (Under 17 World Cup) by Mpele(m): 2:27pm On Jan 28, 2009
This was always bound to happen. The giant of Africa can't host the Under 17 World Cup. For heavens sake I mean how can a self proclaimed giant of Africa fail to host a mere Under 17 tournament. Everything Nigeria touches turns into a disaster. The All Africa games were logistical disaster.
The wanted to host the Commonwealth games and at last sanity prevailed as the tournament was awarded to Scotland. Imagine the embarrassment this would have brought to Africa. This makes me laugh when I think that this is the same country that wanted to host the 2010 world cup.
South Africa is going to host the 2010 FIFA world cup and FIFA is happy with the progress as most of the infrastructure is now nearing completion. Egypt will host the under 20 world cup. Why don't FIFA award the Under 17 world cup to Ghana as they were good hosts during the last African Cup of Nations.

I wonder what moronic characters like Morpheus24 and his girlfriend IFYGIRL are saying as their beloved country continues to embarass themselves. Nigeria is supposed to be the giant of Sub Saharan countries, the last hope for the black african nations (excluding South Africa). Africa will continue to be the laughing stock of the whole world if countries like Nigeria are allowed to bid to host events like the World Cups.

The much hated South Africa will continue to host hiccup free world events like the 95 Rugby World Cup, 96 African Cup of Nations (which was a small event by comparison to other tournaments)2003 Cricket World Cup. 2010 IS COMING AND fifa is happy. The next will be the Durban bid to host the olympics. We have no intentions of hosting colonial tournaments like the Commonwealth games, we aim higher as Durban is preparing an Olympic bid.
Re: FIFA Loses Faith In Nigeria (Under 17 World Cup) by morpheus24: 2:56pm On Jan 28, 2009
Mpele:

This was always bound to happen. The giant of Africa can't host the Under 17 World Cup. For heavens sake I mean how can a self proclaimed giant of Africa fail to host a mere Under 17 tournament. Everything Nigeria touches turns into a disaster. The All Africa games were logistical disaster.
The wanted to host the Commonwealth games and at last sanity prevailed as the tournament was awarded to Scotland. Imagine the embarrassment this would have brought to Africa. This makes me laugh when I think that this is the same country that wanted to host the 2010 world cup.
South Africa is going to host the 2010 FIFA world cup and FIFA is happy with the progress as most of the infrastructure is now nearing completion. Egypt will host the under 20 world cup. Why don't FIFA award the Under 17 world cup to Ghana as they were good hosts during the last African Cup of Nations.

I wonder what moronic characters like Morpheus24 and his girlfriend IFYGIRL are saying as their beloved country continues to embarass themselves. Nigeria is supposed to be the giant of Sub Saharan countries, the last hope for the black african nations (excluding South Africa). Africa will continue to be the laughing stock of the whole world if countries like Nigeria are allowed to bid to host events like the World Cups.

The much hated South Africa will continue to host hiccup free world events like the 95 Rugby World Cup, 96 African Cup of Nations (which was a small event by comparison to other tournaments)2003 Cricket World Cup. 2010 IS COMING AND fifa is happy. The next will be the Durban bid to host the olympics. We have no intentions of hosting colonial tournaments like the Commonwealth games, we aim higher as Durban is preparing an Olympic bid.

Like I have said in the past someone bounced the ball off your head one too many times. Your South Africa is not part of Africa. Too many non africans including you are there. You are a Proxy European colony state that should be called the Banana Republic of Rainbow nations. So stop bothering yourself with African affairs.
Re: FIFA Loses Faith In Nigeria (Under 17 World Cup) by nateevs(m): 4:00pm On Jan 28, 2009
Mpele:

Why don't you just replace this whole story with 3 words. . . . . ? I HATE NIGERIA.

Then we'll take it from there. .Logging on a Nigerian Forum and talking rubbish!
Re: FIFA Loses Faith In Nigeria (Under 17 World Cup) by shadyBaba: 4:13pm On Jan 28, 2009
what the heck. look, Nigeria is a badly run nation alright but as much as i can recall, Nigeria was bidding to host the CAN 2010, CAF turned them down and instead helped them secure a tournament that will have a gauranteed low turnout of spectators, and now they are dissapointed in Nigeria, Yar'a dua did say he didn't have the resources, what does it matter, it's like Nigeria Giving the much we can, so if they don't like what we've got, they can as well take their cup and shove it up their (you know what!).
Re: FIFA Loses Faith In Nigeria (Under 17 World Cup) by Akolawole(m): 7:22pm On Jan 29, 2009
Jack Warner can never refuse Nigeria.

Nigeria only need to take him to Onigbinde's house in Ibadan.

FIFA officials are used to Nigeria's brown envelope.
Re: FIFA Loses Faith In Nigeria (Under 17 World Cup) by A40(m): 11:11pm On Jan 29, 2009
morpheus24:

Like I have said in the past someone bounced the ball off your head one too many times. Your South Africa is not part of Africa. Too many non africans including you are there. You are a Proxy European colony state that should be called the Banana Republic of Rainbow nations. So stop bothering yourself with African affairs.
Ouch!!
Re: FIFA Loses Faith In Nigeria (Under 17 World Cup) by yommys01(m): 1:34pm On Jan 31, 2009
It will be a disgrace if we don't host the championship at the end of the day. It is all rubbish, we have the money but those fools in the corridor of power will not spend the money on what's necessary except on their unnecessary pockets.
Re: FIFA Loses Faith In Nigeria (Under 17 World Cup) by goodass(m): 5:25pm On Jan 31, 2009
@ OP
fifa dem get hope in 9.ja b4? sheer waste of tym
Re: FIFA Loses Faith In Nigeria (Under 17 World Cup) by pault(m): 3:12pm On Feb 01, 2009
Well considering Jack Warner has sung a couple of different tunes during his inspection I think much of this has to be taken seriously but also in context. First of all South Africa has not had a hiccup free capital works project schedule on the world cup by any means. Labor Strikes, mis estimations of budgets and Fifa taking out a huge insurance policy if South Africa Fails in their Capital projects does not say hiccup free. With a mere 14 months to opening kick off Durban and Cape Town are both just getting started on the Fabric Roofs for their stadia. ONe Stadium that was to be part of this years confederations cup in South Africa has been scratched off the list because it will indeed not be ready. South Africa are far from Supermen when it comes to these things either.

Second Warner can be in Total Phrase of Calabar's Stadium and City in October of last year and not utter a word negative or positive about them this week. During that inspection he called Abuja National stadium beyond what this tournament needed and a facility that would be on par with the Senior World Cup. Calabar's Stadium he said was practically in the state that he remembers it during the 1999 u20 Tournament. Thwe maintenance culture he went on to say is in Calabar. He names Calabar and Abuja as ready then. What has happened in 4 months with Calabar ? did they have an earth quake? I take the mans words very seriously but which Words do you take when they conflict with prior statements? Something is a amiss with the Fifa VPs words.

Third Warner on the ground had huge Phrase for Warri in regards to the preparation and the facilities that he put on par with Abuja just a few days ago. Last October he phrased the Hospital facilities in Warri as being better then a great number of the cities for the 2007 U 20 tournament being Canada!!!! Why go around phrasing aspects of Nigeria's preparations and civic infrastructure if you don't indeed mean it ?
Fourth if Kaduna with huge preparations for the National Sports Festival isn't cutting the mustard with Warner then their in a huge problem. This is a Stadium has new seating , Turf and a Tartan track put in for the national sports festival this month not for October of this year. A Tartan Field that is being put in by leading company in the World for these surfaces Mondo from Italy.

I can see the problems with Kano and Enugu but when you are talking of Calabar and Warri getting phrase with Warner to the local press and something very different with the final press conference then something is up.

Brown Bags for Warner ? Well that was what happened with Fifa Executive Exiting Nigeria prior to the U20 1999 tournament and that is admitted by Fifa Officials at the time . I think Warner is using this as needed motivation to get the job done but who knows about the other motives. What has indeed Changed is that the government has taken over the organization of the works to bring these Stadiums up to standard and Fifa or other sports federations don't like that. The Former Members of the LOC were trying to exhort money to the tune of over 300 million dollars for this tournament. They were turned away and Vice President Goodluck Jonathan was put in charge with little less then 33 percent of the inflated budget. Dr Adamu was fired out of his job at the NSC and he is a Fifa Executive member. Jack Warner's judgment can be clouded when his fellow fifa Executive Member loses his day job at the hands of the Government.

I think you will see the following host . Abuja , Lagos , Warri, Calabar, Kaduna and Ijebu Ode and that Nigeria in the final inspection has pulled of the Miracle of the 21th century. Warner is very dramatic with his words and predictable.
Of indeed may Ghana host which would be hard with 4 new stadia .
Re: FIFA Loses Faith In Nigeria (Under 17 World Cup) by allboyz(m): 3:37pm On Feb 01, 2009
we would host tongue
Re: FIFA Loses Faith In Nigeria (Under 17 World Cup) by deb(m): 5:14pm On Feb 02, 2009
@ Mpele.

You are just a fool to mock my country like that.
I can take it from my fellow country men but definitely not from
you living in a fake African country.

Nigeria hosted the same competition in 1999 and we can do it again.
Re: FIFA Loses Faith In Nigeria (Under 17 World Cup) by topkin(m): 7:22pm On Feb 03, 2009
B.O.S.S.:

Speaking at an event in Abuja to launch the official emblem, Warner said: "I have always had faith in Nigeria but at the moment that faith is not there."

He made a fatal mistake believing in this country?
Re: FIFA Loses Faith In Nigeria (Under 17 World Cup) by RSA(m): 2:31pm On Feb 04, 2009
Any information on Egypt readiness,or picture of their stadiums?
Re: FIFA Loses Faith In Nigeria (Under 17 World Cup) by 4peace(m): 5:21am On Feb 06, 2009
Thank good we are host under 17 this year.God Bless Nigeria
Re: FIFA Loses Faith In Nigeria (Under 17 World Cup) by FBS: 2:16pm On Feb 20, 2009
anybody with info, official website, match venues etc?
Re: FIFA Loses Faith In Nigeria (Under 17 World Cup) by Mustay(m): 4:02pm On Feb 26, 2009
FEW DAYS TO NIGERIA 99, THE GRASS AT THE NATIONAL STADIUM AT SURULERE WAS IN TERRIBLE SHAPE.

Everyone was waiting to see the jest called "opening ceremony". To their surprise, the stadium was extremely different during the tournament.

i don't know how long this "fire-brigade" will last in Nigeria
Re: FIFA Loses Faith In Nigeria (Under 17 World Cup) by tainot2002(m): 10:47am On Mar 08, 2009
hope has been lost before.Hope they make it snappy before put shame on Nigeria

(1) (Reply)

CAF Disqualified Egypt, Hands Ticket To Nigeria / Yobo Joins Fernabaché On Loan / Nigeria Vs Iran Friendly Squad List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.