Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,975 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:50 AM

Letter To All Fresh Graduates and Job seekers - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Letter To All Fresh Graduates and Job seekers (35358 Views)

2016 EFCC Recruitment ( Graduates And Non-graduates) How True? / An Important Lesson All Job Seekers Should Learn / Dangote Group Massive Graduates And Exp. Job Recruitment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Letter To All Fresh Graduates and Job seekers by Nobody: 3:53pm On Apr 13, 2015
Dear Applicant: Thank you for your letter inquiring about positions in our economics department. At this time, we have no openings. However, I will keep your letter on file should an appropriate job become available.

At least, that’s what I am required to tell you. But here’s what I’d really like to say to you – and to every recent economics graduate who sends me the same letter.

First, I know it’s lousy for bachelor of arts grads looking for a job “in their field.” Twenty years ago, it was lousy for me too. It’s almost always lousy. In a way, it’s kind of supposed to be – a small rite of passage to welcome you into the working world. It’s sort of like being froshed.

But if I may, I would like to offer some advice.

Don’t be too fixated on landing a job “in your field.” The truth is, you don’t yet have a field. In university, you majored in economics, but that may or may not be your eventual field of professional work. The world is full of possibilities; limiting your search to an economist job is a terribly narrow way to start out.

You chose to study economics, which doesn’t necessarily imply that you’ll be an economist. Rather, it implies you have an aptitude for problem solving. You’re probably good at analyzing data. You can see different sides of an argument. And I’ll bet you’re excellent at finding solutions to problems. These are essential skills required in hundreds of rewarding (and lucrative) fields of professional employment.

Your ultimate field may actually be in sales for a biotech firm. It may be analyzing crime statistics for the city police. It may even be a rock star (just ask Mick Jagger). The world is full of “fields.”

What you’re facing is a common problem: BA graduates confuse their major area of study with what they expect to be their eventual careers. It doesn’t matter if it’s a degree in history, film studies, sociology, or comparative feminist literature.

You’ve successfully navigated your way through a four-year degree. Congratulations! That is no small accomplishment. But now you’re embarking on a totally different program of learning – one that will last the rest of your life. It’s called “What am I here for?”

That may sound all spiritual and existential, but don’t let it throw you off. It just means that your challenge from here on is to find what you’re good at, and keep getting better and better at it.

An apology, by the way, on behalf of society. We are sorry if we led you to believe that attending university would land you a good job. That’s not actually true. A polytechnic college will do this – and the job opportunities available right now are fantastic. A good option for you might be to continue post-university studies at a polytechnic.

But your university education, at least at the bachelor of arts level, was never intended to land you a job. It was intended to make you a more complete thinker. It was intended to teach you how to absorb complex information and make reasoned arguments. It was, quite simply, intended to teach you how to learn. Those are skills that you’ll use in any field of work.

Open your mind to all sorts of job possibilities. Don’t be too proud to start out in the service industry, or where you might get your fingernails dirty. Talk to as many people as you can about their career paths. Go live overseas for a year or two. But never, ever, allow yourself to think you’ve wasted your time in university if you don’t land a job as an economist.

Meanwhile, be encouraged and stay positive. And yes, I will keep your letter on file. But my guess is that when a position in my economics group eventually opens up, you’ll no longer be available.

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/economy-lab/new-graduates-have-skills-not-fields/article14558219/?service=mobile

63 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Letter To All Fresh Graduates and Job seekers by Nobody: 3:56pm On Apr 13, 2015
Beautiful

Front Page Please Mods...

. lalasticlala
. Ishilove
. Seun
. Etc...

* * * * MODIFIED * * * *

Congrats OP...We made it to Front Page...

What else imma say?

Usually people give shout outs to their friends and loved ones....

Lemme go check my friends' list.

I'LL BE BLACK

1 Like

Re: Letter To All Fresh Graduates and Job seekers by DuchessLily(f): 4:08pm On Apr 13, 2015
Hmmm.....enof sense
Re: Letter To All Fresh Graduates and Job seekers by Nobody: 4:11pm On Apr 13, 2015
fact

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Letter To All Fresh Graduates and Job seekers by Sambar(m): 5:10pm On Apr 13, 2015
In case i knew dis piece gonna make front page....tanks OP for providing me dis opportunity 2 make frontpage may ur mb neva run dry....am short of words....my next target is nw 1st to comment....wat more can i say

3 Likes

Re: Letter To All Fresh Graduates and Job seekers by Nobody: 5:16pm On Apr 13, 2015
Dear Applicant: Thank you for your letter inquiring about positions in our economics
Re: Letter To All Fresh Graduates and Job seekers by tolu4you: 6:17pm On Apr 13, 2015
This really affected me
Re: Letter To All Fresh Graduates and Job seekers by Nobody: 6:30pm On Apr 13, 2015
tolu4you:
This really affected me
Re: Letter To All Fresh Graduates and Job seekers by kachnov(m): 7:12pm On Apr 13, 2015
Nice article...but sometimes having a clear picture of what you want aligns the universe into providing it for you .Go figure.

2 Likes

Re: Letter To All Fresh Graduates and Job seekers by DaPhilosopher(m): 7:13pm On Apr 13, 2015
hmmmm!
Re: Letter To All Fresh Graduates and Job seekers by alotofgrace(m): 7:38pm On Apr 13, 2015
very true.....nna mehn... everything about this 9ja is strategy strategy strategy...

No wonder we "jand" the next thing is... he don hamah
Re: Letter To All Fresh Graduates and Job seekers by monalisaswthrt(f): 7:46pm On Apr 13, 2015
nice one
Re: Letter To All Fresh Graduates and Job seekers by idee91: 8:59pm On Apr 13, 2015
Life is full of competitions, but I'll make it by the special grace of God

hit like to subscribe for this prayer

66 Likes 1 Share

Re: Letter To All Fresh Graduates and Job seekers by berildan(m): 9:15pm On Apr 13, 2015
The Head of Recruitment,
Department of Economics,
University of Well Thought Advice, Nairaland
Nigeria

Dear Sir/Ma,

Thank you for providing such enlightening feedback on my application. I will endeavor to keep you informed on any further development on my end. I certainly do hope there would be no need to apply when a vacancy exists. Thanks again for your time.

Sincerely,
The Applicant smiley

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Letter To All Fresh Graduates and Job seekers by LewisO: 9:43pm On Apr 13, 2015
Noted!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Letter To All Fresh Graduates and Job seekers by Nobody: 9:43pm On Apr 13, 2015
Getting a job is a mixture of luck, favour, hardwork, academic excellence and self worth all in unequal proportions. Last last na Godwin.

See this thread on amorc :

https://www.nairaland.com/2225497/ask-me-question-amorc-other

2 Likes

Re: Letter To All Fresh Graduates and Job seekers by Pebcak: 9:43pm On Apr 13, 2015
angry smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Letter To All Fresh Graduates and Job seekers by eleojo23: 9:43pm On Apr 13, 2015
Over time I have discovered that the best paying business is the business of self development and opening up one's self to possibilities.
Many persons are wasting their talent and potentials because they insist on presenting their certificates rather than presenting themselves. I believe that there is much more to a person than what is written on his certificate.

11 Likes

Re: Letter To All Fresh Graduates and Job seekers by ignis: 9:44pm On Apr 13, 2015
This should be in joke section.

1 Like

Re: Letter To All Fresh Graduates and Job seekers by Gifted4all(m): 9:44pm On Apr 13, 2015
true story
Re: Letter To All Fresh Graduates and Job seekers by paulolee(m): 9:44pm On Apr 13, 2015
k
Re: Letter To All Fresh Graduates and Job seekers by Ch1z0(m): 9:44pm On Apr 13, 2015
Re: Letter To All Fresh Graduates and Job seekers by Princenady(m): 9:44pm On Apr 13, 2015
There are many fields like a mechanical in field sales. I mean selling weed in d field....mscheeewww..sm1 shld summarise ds cos I could not even finish it.

1 Like

Re: Letter To All Fresh Graduates and Job seekers by Djdeebrain(m): 9:45pm On Apr 13, 2015
Thanks I already got one.
Re: Letter To All Fresh Graduates and Job seekers by Fishout(m): 9:45pm On Apr 13, 2015
thanks
Re: Letter To All Fresh Graduates and Job seekers by SleekyP(m): 9:46pm On Apr 13, 2015
undecided
Re: Letter To All Fresh Graduates and Job seekers by Alfred200825(m): 9:47pm On Apr 13, 2015
So inspiring bro
Re: Letter To All Fresh Graduates and Job seekers by paulolee(m): 9:47pm On Apr 13, 2015
hmmmm.... nice letter bt it's nT for mi, maybe d post man mistakenly forwarded d letter to mi
Re: Letter To All Fresh Graduates and Job seekers by Dyt(f): 9:47pm On Apr 13, 2015
But sometimes in life
Even when you not earning
Hungry
Starving
Crying
Inbtwn the line, you decide you won't go for less

Just sometimes
Re: Letter To All Fresh Graduates and Job seekers by algorithm(m): 9:48pm On Apr 13, 2015
Inspiring

2 Likes

Re: Letter To All Fresh Graduates and Job seekers by Lero15(m): 9:48pm On Apr 13, 2015
Yea...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

10 Things A Graduate Should Do While Waiting For A Good Job Offer / Shortlisted List Of Federal Road Safety Commission CBT Is Out / AU Youth Volunteer Corps 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.