Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,387 members, 7,781,108 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:05 AM

Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows (78386 Views)

Cost To Supervise A Foundation Of 2storey Building Of 6flats / Cost Analysis Of Roofing My 3 Bedrooms Flat / Kindly Advise Me. After Paying 16 Million Naira, All I Have Is A Foundation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by abdulwastecx(m): 8:21pm On May 23, 2015
sule4:

Abdul, is there any setback to the structure if I wait till after roofing, plumbing and electrical work before doing the oversite concrete job

Always better to do it before super structure ( wall ontop of the foundation) because it help to create a uniform level after the foundation in other to receive the super structure block wall, with a properly spread membrane ( polystyrene) it help prevent moisture from rising through the block wall which may spoil painting and plastering in the super structural wal

2 Likes

Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by jfkenny(m): 9:09pm On May 23, 2015
Can one use pieces of blocks and concrete from a demolished house to fill the foundation..instead of latterite
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by abdulwastecx(m): 9:24pm On May 23, 2015
jfkenny:
Can one use pieces of blocks and concrete from a demolished house to fill the foundation..instead of latterite

yes sir, provided it is properly compacted
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by Btruth: 9:28pm On May 23, 2015
Booking a seat already. cool
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by scylla27(m): 9:29pm On May 23, 2015
abdulwastecx:
I will start by enumerating the steps that need to be followed why building a bungalows foundation from structural points of view and also considering cost.

1. Site clearance
2. transverse survey and the leveling of the site by a land survey or a civil engineer using either total station or theodolite
3. the setting out of the building
4. Excavation of foundation trenches
5. Foundation footings( popularly called blinding).
6. Setting of foundation if any in the case of pad footing, combine or continues foundation
7. setting of foundation wall or substructures wall.
8. filling of the foundation
9. preparation of the filled foundation for DPC by compaction
10. Formwork for DPC
11. Placement of oversite concrete on the prepared foundation.

Brilliant. But u forgot a very important aspect. Site survey. Nature of soil. It determines the type of foundation to be required.
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by Nobody: 9:32pm On May 23, 2015
abdulwastecx, pls i need an advice on foundation and decking costing...

in portharcourt, a storey building measuring 20,000mm by 10,000mm. like how much by rough estimate should the foundation and decking cost?

thank you, abdulwastexc
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by emmadejust(m): 9:33pm On May 23, 2015
[size=30pt]
following and learning .....

[/size]
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by Icon4s(m): 9:35pm On May 23, 2015
abdulwastecx:

setting out = 40k
excavation = 80 - 100k ( with a depth of 600mm and width of 450 or 675mm)
blinding concrete = 250k ( assuming 15k/cubic meter)
block work blocks both materials and workmanship= 500K
some foundation side columns = 80k
filling = base on site condition
dpc of 100mm thick (4"wink = 350k

TOTAL WITHOUT SUPERVISION FEE AND FILLING = 1.35m ( for a very solid job)

Thanks for this response. U are a gift to humanity. God bless u.

6 Likes

Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by abeffiom(m): 9:37pm On May 23, 2015
Firstly speaking as a qualified QUANTITY SURVEYOR dpc is very different from overs site concrete. Pls let that be noted first. DPC means damp proof course which is asingle shit of water proof running alone the wall. We also have Dpm. Which is damp proof membrain which is put in b/w the floor and held by the wire mesh. Pls dpc ain't oversite concrete. Pls.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by laclass(m): 9:42pm On May 23, 2015
I like it ,will lov to hav ur contact
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by darepoju(m): 9:51pm On May 23, 2015
abdulwastecx:
i am open to any question
good job...
que..
do u actually need d BRC for a bungalow floor slab..?
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by Saryea83: 9:52pm On May 23, 2015
abdulwastecx:
Item 3. setting out : setting involve the transferring of information on the structural drawings, architectural drawings and servicing drawings into the ground for construction of a house to be possible.

Setting out can also be done using the following two method:
1. It can be done manually
2. It can also be done using surveyors instrument like total station or a theodolite.

For most bungalow with dimension of building less than 20m in both width and length, manual method can safely be use.
materials for a typical setting out
1. peg
2. Line
3. profile board ( 2 x 2'' soft wood)
4. nail ( 3'', 2'' and 11/2'' nail)
5. Builder's square, plumb, meters rule, tabe etc.

How to estimate materials for setting out
to get number of pegs required;
1. Get the perimeter of the building.
2. increase the perimeter by 25%
3. divide the perimeter by 2 ( i normally spaced my pegs @ 2m c/c)
4. since there are 20 pegs in a bundle and a bundle cost about N1,200. the result from 3 above is further divided by 20 to get the number of bundle and the result is multiply by N1,200 to know the cost of peg.

to get number of profile board ( 2 x 2'' soft wood)
1. using the result of 2 above, divide the result by 3m ( since 2 x 2 comes in 3.6m )
2. since each 2 x 2'' soft wood cost about N200, multiply the result in above by N200 to get the cost of profile.

in summary, it cost about N40,000 for materials and workmanship to set out a typical three bedroom flat bungalow

a typical profile board
Interesting and informative!
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by darepoju(m): 9:54pm On May 23, 2015
abeffiom:
Firstly speaking as a qualified QUANTITY SURVEYOR dpc is very different from overs site concrete. Pls let that be noted first. DPC means damp proof course which is asingle shit of water proof running alone the wall. We also have Dpm. Which is damp proof membrain which is put in b/w the floor and held by the wire mesh. Pls dpc ain't oversite concrete. Pls.
..lolzz..
yes..u are very right sir....
a lot of ppl get confuse and mix every thing up....
Only professionals get it right. ..

3 Likes

Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by gmacnoms(m): 9:55pm On May 23, 2015
So, lyk hw much is d total cost of layin d foundation
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by Nobody: 9:56pm On May 23, 2015
@OP ... Good work .

However, I, for one, I don't take engineering theory serious. Out there in the field, before you will finish this epistle, an informally educated mason ( brick layer) cum contractor would give you a structurally sound, standing and lasting building. I doff my hat for the informally educated brick layers cum contractors in the building sector. This is my experience and opinion, therefore I don't owe anyone an apology .

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by luckman20(m): 9:59pm On May 23, 2015
Weldone bro
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by Oluwatosin555(m): 10:01pm On May 23, 2015
Pls sir can you do me a favour, can you pls send this whole package to my e-mail really need to understand this rudiment before embarking on my own project, pls sir to principaljuwonlo@gmail.com...... Thanks
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by MrLittleFinger1(m): 10:05pm On May 23, 2015
abdulwastecx:
mix ratio for foundation footing for bungalow should either be 1:3:6 or 1:2:4 for normal soil.
i prefer 1:2:4 ( 1 bag of cement : 4 head pan of sand or 1 wheel barrow of sand : 8 head pan of gravel or 2 wheel barrow of gravel). reason been that the foundation of bungalow is very important because it help to distributes the wall load to foundation adequately.
A typical foundations supporting a three bedroom flat or its equivalent should have the following features

1. minimum thickness of 100mm ( 4'') and should not more than 225mm (9'') thick on a strong soil for economy reason.
2. the sharp sand should not be too smooth and free from clay and other dirt which may reduce the strength of concrete
3. the gravel should be preferably 3/4 ( 20mm) thick and must be free from dust.
4. the water for mixing should be drinkable and free from salt and other chemical contamination
5. the water-cement ratio must not be greater than 0.6.

mode of calculating the volume of concrete for foundation footings ( strip foundation).
1. get the sum of the total gird of the substructure, let say 'P' = 50 ( example)
2. get the width of the foundation, say 450mm (18'') for 150mm ( 6"wink wall and 675mm ( 27" ) for 225mm (9"wink wall
3. Assume a thickness of say 150mm for 6" wall and or 225mm for 9" wall.
4. convert all your dimension to 'm'
5. hence volume, v =50x 0.45 x 0.15 = 3.375m3
6. increase the volume by 25% to cater for shrinkage and wastage. =1.25 x 3.375= 4.05m3

using mix ratio 1:2:4
part of cement = 1/7 x4.05 =0.58m3
since the density of ordinary Portland cement s 1506kg/m3
and i bag = 50kg
hence, no of bags = 0.58 x 1506/50 =17.4bags ( 18 bags aprox.)

part of sand = 2/7 x 4.05 =1.16m3
since the density of sharp sand is 1600kg/m3 and a tonne of sharp sand is 1000kg
hence, 1.16 x 1600/1000 = 1.856tonnes ( 2 tonnes aprox.)

part of gravel = 2 x 1.16 = 2.32m3
since the density of gravel is 2400kg/m3 and a tonne of gravel weight 1000kg
hence, 2.32 x 2.4 =5.57tonnes ( 6 tonnes )

part of water using water cement ratio of 0.6
weight of water = 0.6 weight of cement = 0.6 x 18 x 50 =540kg
volume of water required, from density = mass/volume
making volume subject, volume = mass/density
where density of water = 1000kg/m3
hence, volume of water required = 540/1000= 0.54m3
since,1m3 = 1000liters
volume of water required = 540 liters

Nice job. But your interpretation of the mix ratios seems confusing, or at best, incorrect. Please, revisit. shocked
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by conine: 10:13pm On May 23, 2015
I really appreciate this analysis, thanks
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by 400billionman: 10:22pm On May 23, 2015
I don't know why I dont like reading again ?

Put this lecture inside DVD and see me watching it..

2 Likes

Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by afortress(m): 10:23pm On May 23, 2015
just in time... doing my fence monday.... i so appreciate this...
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by Shos19(m): 10:32pm On May 23, 2015
Dis is real educative and gud at dis point for pple like us who have been nursing d †ђξ ambition of starting smtin small like dis. Pls I wld like if I can get d break down in ma mail. Shola4all2003@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by vitality22(m): 10:42pm On May 23, 2015
I love this
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by abdulwastecx(m): 10:45pm On May 23, 2015
MrLittleFinger1:

Nice job. But your interpretation of the mix ratios seems confusing, or at best, incorrect. Please, revisit. shocked

My friend i don't see anything ambiguous my explanation above. when i say 1:2:4 means one bag of cement to four head pan of sharp sand and eight head pan of gravel/granite, i am saying that by assuming that a bag of cement is equivalent to two head pan of cement ( which is practically accurate )

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Behold, The Controversial Most Expensive Building In Abuja / I Cried When I Entered The Houses Of Billionaires In Lekki / Dstv/ Free to Air Satellite tv Stations/ Multi-dwelling Unit Installation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.