Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,498 members, 7,781,501 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:39 PM

Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows (78390 Views)

Cost To Supervise A Foundation Of 2storey Building Of 6flats / Cost Analysis Of Roofing My 3 Bedrooms Flat / Kindly Advise Me. After Paying 16 Million Naira, All I Have Is A Foundation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by abdulwastecx(m): 4:40pm On May 24, 2015
fairheven:

Am about doing a 4bedroom bungalow in a relatively flat ground,do I still need to do mechanical clearing?

depending on the site condition... if you have trees and heavy bushes then clearance using a grader will be the best and the cheapest for you sir
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by fairheven: 5:10pm On May 24, 2015
abdulwastecx:

depending on the site condition... if you have trees and heavy bushes then clearance using a grader will be the best and the cheapest for you sir
No. Virtually no trees just few plants an grass
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by abdulwastecx(m): 5:12pm On May 24, 2015
fairheven:

No. Virtually no trees just few plants an grass

just get people to do the site clearance for you sir
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by adynsn: 5:32pm On May 24, 2015
Nice 1
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by sule4: 11:42pm On May 24, 2015
abdulwastecx:

thank you my brother.... what people don't get is we have about 20m building deficiency in a country of more than 170million people, population growth of 5% and per capital income of $3,000 (N600,000), the best one can do is to build for these low to middle income earners.
Constructive criticism is welcomed, it is disingenuous for someone to deduce that I claimed all light skin sistas are no good, when all I did was explain why I prefer my chocolate.
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by mufutau55(m): 11:53pm On May 24, 2015
sule4:

Constructive criticism is welcomed, it is disingenuous for someone to deduce that I claimed all light skin sistas are no good, when all I did was explain why I prefer my chocolate.

LOL!!! Chocolate Soul Sistas.
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by Nobody: 8:47am On May 25, 2015
abdulwastecx:

there is no market here to spoil madam. i did about three courses in engineering survey which i had A's in all of them, the least i could do is to carry out a levelling operation of a bungalow on a plot of 15m x 30m.

i believe no client in his right senses will pay you 70k to carry out a levelling operation for him.
Sorry Sir,
I worked under a surveyor for almost 6 years while I was still in uni. I also passed engineering survey. Classroom n work r way too different. Ur quotation shows a classroom work. That's y most jobs require working experience.

Ur quotation never specified if it was a levelling job.

Never mind!
But dis is what surveyors r fighting. Just like we r fighting about our jobs given 2 bricklayers.
Goodluck dear! Have a lovely day
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by abdulwastecx(m): 9:56am On May 25, 2015
pinkbee:

Sorry Sir,
I worked under a surveyor for almost 6 years while I was still in uni. I also passed engineering survey. Classroom n work r way too different. Ur quotation shows a classroom work. That's y most jobs require working experience.

Never mind!
But dis is what surveyors r fighting. Just like we r fighting about our jobs given 2 bricklayers.

The rule of the business is profitability and service deliverance. If the scale of the job is small and a brick layer can handle the job well, it will make better sense to give it to a qualified bricklayer to do.

Roles of professionals in building work is influenced by magnitude and complexity of the job. some jobs you need only a builder ( technician, building technologist, etc), some more complex structural works such as frames etc ( a structural engineer), some more complex work where cost, aesthetic are major consideration ( you will need more professionals ranging from the engineers, architect, quantity survey, land survey, etc.) most of all building work you will still need the architect to do the consultancy job like site visitation.

It is always better to have a builder with knowledge in vast area of building construction, civil engineer, land surveying, cost etc to handle your small building project.

I have done several setting out my self using the above principle and it is no class room calculations/estimation but real practical application

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by abdulwastecx(m): 10:01am On May 25, 2015
pinkbee:

Sorry Sir,

Never mind!

i am not really spoiling market for them ma...i just believe they work better on bigger building projects, large civil engineering structures like dams, tunnels, bridges, rail line, dredging work and road work...but for small building projects for average Nigeria, N30,000 should be enough to four level point on a site

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by opabz: 10:50am On May 25, 2015
Been on nairaland for years but this will be my first post and I must say its worth it because its one of the most intellectual posts I have seen here. let me first start by saying I am a practising structural engr(two years) in Europe (B.Sc Civil engineering & Msc Structural engineering). What the OP displayed was his idea on optimisation which is definitely lacking in the Nigerian sector. someone was clamouring for 1:2:4 instead of 1:3:6 for a building with such little load and a good soil at that. Thats what a white man will call wastage. In my own opinion, while people have been putting up 'what to do', OP has shown his 'why','how' and 'what' skills. My 2 cents

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by Dieumerci(m): 5:49pm On May 25, 2015
opabz:
Been on nairaland for years but this will be my first post and I must say its worth it because its one of the most intellectual posts I have seen here. let me first start by saying I am a practising structural engr(two years) in Europe (B.Sc Civil engineering & Msc Structural engineering). What the OP displayed was his idea on optimisation which is definitely lacking in the Nigerian sector. someone was clamouring for 1:2:4 instead of 1:3:6 for a building with such little load and a good soil at that. Thats what a white man will call wastage. In my own opinion, while people have been putting up 'what to do', OP has shown his 'why','how' and 'what' skills. My 2 cents
Lol...na so. 5W1H.

1 Like

Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by lamrose: 8:14am On May 26, 2015
Guy you finish the building profession wen eh take person 4 - 5 years learn.
You excluded the Quality Control of your mix ratio.
Well work.
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by alpontif(m): 12:52pm On May 26, 2015
abdulwastecx:

1: 3: 6 is weaker than 1: 2: 4 or 1: 2: 4 is stronger than 1: 3: 6, The difference between the two is just the cement content and the ratio of aggregates.

we are talking about a bungalow where the load on the structure are not that critical, hence a well placed concrete of 1: 3: 6 will do the work sufficiently.

The problem now is we don't even follow these ratios because of inadequate concrete production mechanism like batching plant.

Hello, you are doing a great Job here, but LISTEN to correction when you are corrected, Nobody Knows it all. When you are told the professional standards and best practices, dont argue away that it cannot be achieved. Nice work you are doing here..Welldone!!!
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by adanny01(m): 12:59pm On May 26, 2015
opabz:

There is something about Nigeria that you wont understand. By the time you come to construction, 1:2:4 intentionally or unintentionally becomes 1:3:6. Dont forget, there is little to absolutely no quality control of concrete at site. You will need, quality control on cement, water and all aggregates to achieve that mix design grade without this control you cant get it right. You will also need slump test for water quantity control, moisture content test on aggregate, etc. At the end, the margin of error in grade as built becomes great and you cant go back. So you end up with 1:3:6.

Less i forget, in Nigeria where things can be done illegally, building design could be changed mid way into construction without considering substructure. There are cases were more floors are illegally added. This has proved to be disastrous in the past so designers prefer a safer concrete grade, hence, 1:2:4.

There are also case of outright cheating when labourers steal cement, that will automatically mean they will make lower grade of concrete.

2 Likes

Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by abdulwastecx(m): 1:54pm On May 26, 2015
alpontif:

Hello, you are doing a great Job here, but LISTEN to correction when you are corrected, Nobody Knows it all. When you are told the professional standards and best practices, dont argue away that it cannot be achieved. Nice work you are doing here..Welldone!!!

bross, i love critics and criticism only when it is positive.
I don't know it all, we all learn everyday. thanks for your complement

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by abdulwastecx(m): 1:56pm On May 26, 2015
adanny01:

There is something about Nigeria that you wont understand. By the time you come to construction, 1:2:4 intentionally or unintentionally becomes 1:3:6. Dont forget, there is little to absolutely no quality control of concrete at site. You will need, quality control on cement, water and all aggregates to achieve that mix design grade without this control you cant get it right. You will also need slump test for water quantity control, moisture content test on aggregate, etc. At the end, the margin of error in grade as built becomes great and you cant go back. So you end up with 1:3:6.

Less i forget, in Nigeria where things can be done illegally, building design could be changed mid way into construction without considering substructure. There are cases were more floors are illegally added. This has proved to be disastrous in the past so designers prefer a safer concrete grade, hence, 1:2:4.

There are also case of outright cheating when labourers steal cement, that will automatically mean they will make lower grade of concrete.

i love that sir.

2 Likes

Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by sexyboocalher(f): 4:34pm On May 26, 2015
**Quietly walks in**
**Adjust glasses, brings out jotter**
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by skyps(m): 4:37pm On May 26, 2015
Bro please do find time to reply my email. Thanks
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by idrisalomagold(m): 1:30pm On Jun 20, 2015
MrLittleFinger1:

Nice job. But your interpretation of the mix ratios seems confusing, or at best, incorrect. Please, revisit. shocked
I thought they are measured in headpans. And half bag of cement equals 1 headpan. Considering his own ratio of 1 bag of cement to mean 1 headpan, he should have clarified that rather than making others believe that's normal ratio.
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by Shawls: 11:09pm On Jun 20, 2015
@abdulwastec
How many 1-bedroom self contained apartments (bungalow) with cross ventilation can I get from a perfect 50x100 rectangular plot?
Alternatively,how many 2-bedrooms apartment (bungalow)?I want to maximize the land for my retirement.The land is at Elebu in Ibadan after the market not far from the tarred road,but rent is not that high for 3bedrooms there.
Can you give a rough plan? I sent you an email a long time ago, you did not reply.

Shawls.
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by walestega(m): 7:34am On Jun 26, 2015
Hello Sir,

You are really doing a nice job here. I have a little concern. I have a big bros civil engineer who supervises my site for free. I'm presently done with my the foundation of my 3 Bedroom bungalow and the fear of filling is sickening as the land is sloped. I have opportunity of using the graded soil in the estate for filling my foundation but he insists it's top soil and that i should buy laterite and use for filling instead.
With my calculation, it will take up to 25-30 Man diesel trucks to fill that foundation.
Kindly advice on what to do.

Regards

abdulwastecx:
Item 8 :Filling of the foundation to required height
This is done after the completion of the foundation block and casting of foundation column( if any). the most preferable soil for foundation filling is laterite or sandy soil in area with no laterite ( south southern states like rivers and bayelsa).

after filling the foundation should be left for a period at least one week during raining season to be compacted by rain or properly wet and compacted manually with rammer of mechanically with a compactor.

Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by abdulwastecx(m): 8:02am On Jun 26, 2015
walestega:
Hello Sir,

You are really doing a nice job here. I have a little concern. I have a big bros civil engineer who supervises my site for free. I'm presently done with my the foundation of my 3 Bedroom bungalow and the fear of filling is sickening as the land is sloped. I have opportunity of using the graded soil in the estate for filling my foundation but he insists it's top soil and that i should buy laterite and use for filling instead.
With my calculation, it will take up to 25-30 Man diesel trucks to fill that foundation.
Kindly advice on what to do.

Regards

Your brother is right to insist you filled the foundation with laterite.
The compromise here is due to cost and magnitude of your job sir, i will suggest you use the graded top soil in the estate because you house is a bungalow with limited span and light functionality.

i will also suggest you filled the foundation in layers of 150mm wet it and properly compact manually with rammer. if hardcore stones are cheap in your area I suggest you filled about 150mm top level of the foundation with hard core before you finally add small sharp sand and place your membrane.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by abdulwastecx(m): 8:22am On Jun 26, 2015
Shawls:
@abdulwastec
How many 1-bedroom self contained apartments (bungalow) with cross ventilation can I get from a perfect 50x100 rectangular plot?
Alternatively,how many 2-bedrooms apartment (bungalow)?I want to maximize the land for my retirement.The land is at Elebu in Ibadan after the market not far from the tarred road,but rent is not that high for 3bedrooms there.
Can you give a rough plan? I sent you an email a long time ago, you did not reply.

Shawls.

for the one bedroom flat maybe 4 to 5 units
for the two bedroom flat maybe 3 to 4 units
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by Shawls: 4:03pm On Jun 26, 2015
Ok.Thanks.
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by Ogbeniayanfe(m): 12:26pm On Aug 10, 2015
pls how does someone calculate d accurate numbers of blocks that will finish up a 3 bedroom flat...just a guideline to it..I should b able to understand it.thanks.
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by KDATAYE268: 10:17am On Nov 11, 2015
I just got a quotation indicating that I need about N17500/meter to do a reinforced concrete fence around a plot of land in a swampy area of lekki. Somebody please help affirm or give better insight. The concrete height will be about 4-5planks high and fence could be raised to about 9ft total.
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by soluution(m): 12:08pm On Dec 25, 2015
House,

Please am about embarking on a 3 Bedroom Flat project in a relatively small plot and have little or no experience about buildings.

Please I want to know.

*Hollow blocks and normal block which is better for building construction? Please give reasons/advantages for your answers.

*Again the cost of going for an expensive roofing like brick tiles isn't it more expensive than for one to deck building and stay until money comes for him to develop the top building??
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by alist(m): 2:31pm On Dec 25, 2015
soluution:
House,
Please am about embarking on a 3 Bedroom Flat project in a relatively small plot and have little or no experience about buildings.
Please I want to know.
*Hollow blocks and normal block which is better for building construction? Please give reasons/advantages for your answers.
*Again the cost of going for an expensive roofing like brick tiles isn't it more expensive than for one to deck building and stay until money comes for him to develop the top building??
for the type of block I am thinking u mean solid blocks as normal? If so hollow blocks are more perfered cos they mostly more concentrated with cement than that of solid while producing and due to its hollow cavity it regulates tempreture and prevents transmission of noise. It also muchmore resistant to cracks or faults. roofing might not necessarily be more expensive but when u deck without covering there by exposing ur decking to whether judging that u are in Warri where the rains are quite heavy u could reduce the strength of the decking but if u must leave it for a particular time which shouldnt be long extra precautions should be made to prevent seepage of the decking by sand screening. Hope I have tried contact me on watsappp 08038982710 for any other more

1 Like

Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by soluution(m): 6:05pm On Dec 26, 2015
alist:
for the type of block I am thinking u mean solid blocks as normal? If so hollow blocks are more perfered cos they mostly more concentrated with cement than that of solid while producing and due to its hollow cavity it regulates tempreture and prevents transmission of noise. It also muchmore resistant to cracks or faults. roofing might not necessarily be more expensive but when u deck without covering there by exposing ur decking to whether judging that u are in Warri where the rains are quite heavy u could reduce the strength of the decking but if u must leave it for a particular time which shouldnt be long extra precautions should be made to prevent seepage of the decking by sand screening. Hope I have tried contact me on watsappp 08038982710 for any other more

Thanks Bro. I will contact you via whatsapp
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by alist(m): 9:42pm On Dec 26, 2015
soluution:

soluution:

you are welcome, no problem anytime..
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by Hiibeek: 10:13am On Jan 03, 2016
abdulwastecx:
We are looking at more ways and ideas on how to reduced cost further, so that an average Nigeria can afford to live in a decent accommodation instead of all the slum we find our self.
Bamboo, polystyrene, clay etc are the future of home builder and material engineers.
People want too much money all in the name of professionals, don't let people rip you of your had earn money
[quote author=abdulwastecx post=34054654]

please I need the cost estimate for a children church building of 100 occupants can u please help
Re: Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows by podosci(m): 1:51pm On Jan 03, 2016
Do you have the architectural drawing?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Behold, The Controversial Most Expensive Building In Abuja / I Cried When I Entered The Houses Of Billionaires In Lekki / Dstv/ Free to Air Satellite tv Stations/ Multi-dwelling Unit Installation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.