Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,412 members, 7,808,468 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:26 PM

Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. (25865 Views)

What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? / When The Bride Price Is Too High For Him To Pay / Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by suggyspic: 1:33pm On Apr 16, 2015
Ewuro4:

Uncle wan marry another oreke grin

its the other way round
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by suggyspic: 1:34pm On Apr 16, 2015
holatin:
forget the bride price, snap the woman, upload on olx.com and

SELL HER !!!!!

bros, you harsh oh.
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by suggyspic: 1:35pm On Apr 16, 2015
kponkedenge:
What of all the nacking he gave her for 5 years, how does he intend to compensate her, if the father shuld pay back the bride price, the he shuld compensate her for all the sex he had wit her.

In another news

www.nairaland.com/2258274/face-santa-studio-male-version

5years of nacking without any child. who lost out in the marriage.
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by Knowyaself(m): 1:36pm On Apr 16, 2015
Those ignorant of tradition should ask questions - this is not about the value of the bride price but what it stands for. They are still married until the refund is made. Why this is hard for some commentators here to understand is surprising.

3 Likes

Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by suggyspic: 1:37pm On Apr 16, 2015
folabayo1:
The man must be a sharp igbo man grin

do you have any problem with the igbos. for your info, emenike is a Rivers man married to a delta woman
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by suggyspic: 1:48pm On Apr 16, 2015
Spirit1:
I think people are missing the point here. Return of bride price in Delta - Igbo, as in most Igbo cultures has nothing to do with the money paid as dowry. Most times, this is only a few hundred naira.
The significance of return of bride price is that you are cutting off every relationship with your inlaw's as being part of your family. This is why the father Inlaw said that he will be his son Inlaw forever!!!

just like a said. the father-in-law is a nice man. he know the culture of the people. many nairalander know nothing about issues of culture.
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by suggyspic: 1:50pm On Apr 16, 2015
Atigba:
The parents should return the pride price..it is cultural

As long as the bride price is not returned they are still married whether they live together or not.

Same with our culture

Please tell your friend to do anything possible to get his bride price returned

Without that they re still married

thanks for the encouragement
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by suggyspic: 1:53pm On Apr 16, 2015
rapthugx:
If returning the money is so important then he should try going through the traditional leader of the community before resorting to the court. My humble opinion.

he has done that, but the father said his daughter have everything to loss, that as long as he is alive no man would come for his daughter in marriage again.
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by suggyspic: 1:55pm On Apr 16, 2015
pickabeau1:

for those who don't want to see and are harassing uncle for wanting his money back

thanks
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by suggyspic: 2:02pm On Apr 16, 2015
andyanders:
If the guy is after the bride price, then he must be a very poor person to be after the bride price paid.How much of that money can change his life. Poverty.Maybe he is hoping to get money from them to now buy another lady.

guy you really need to grow up
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by suggyspic: 2:12pm On Apr 16, 2015
garyaustin:
The bride price is the consideration that makes traditional marriage valid and binding contract. It is generally known that bride price is the only returnable item in traditional marriage and most towns accept as little as 30 naira as dowry. The effect of bride price not returned is far reaching; 1 it means that the woman in question is still Emenike's wife. Any child she bears for another man is automatically that of Emenike although supreme court had ruled against it. 2 if the woman dies in this state, Emenike will bear the full responsibility since she is still the wife. 3 Emenike will not be able to marry another woman under statutory law because he has a subsisting marriage and may be guilty of bigamy and risk 7 years imprisonment. 4 if Emenike dies now, she can inherit properties as a valid wife of Emenike. There are so many reasons why Emenike must collect the bride price and he is adviced to do so as soon as possible once he is sure the marriage has failed. Collection of bride price back is a statutory requirement to end traditional marriage.

You are one in a million. i really learnt from your post.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by suggyspic: 2:19pm On Apr 16, 2015
adexway:

Best advice. Can't recall any instance or tradition where bride price is ever refunded. When the lady left after five years did she leave as young and "intact" as she came into his life? And why was she bent on leaving, was Emenike another womanizer, has she suddenly realize that he can't father a child, was she gradually becoming a bread winner while Emenike laze around? There is more to the story than said. However, it's advisable that Emenike leaves the 20k and move on.

why do u want to know everything.culturally, they are suppose to return the bride price. cos if they don't, Emenike is still married to her and if any thing happens to Emenike she can still claim she was married to him. Moreover i have been in a customery court in Choba sometime ago, when two brothers of the same mother but different fathers were claiming ownership of their mothers estate. The judgement was center on who paid the womans bride price.
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by Nobody: 2:42pm On Apr 16, 2015
My advice? Write a letter to the president elect, on entering office, he'll help you get your moni back...Mtcheeeeeeew
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by suggyspic: 2:48pm On Apr 16, 2015
[quote author=Professorval post=32786435]My advice? Write a letter to the president elect, on entering office, he'll help you get your moni back...Mtcheeeeeeew[/quot}

you hardly make any sensible post, your comment are worst than i can imagine. This is a serious issue. if you don't know what to comment, just read and leave.. mcheeeeeeewwwwwwwwww
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by Nobody: 2:58pm On Apr 16, 2015
[quote author=suggyspic post=32786658][/quote]

Abeeeg, no de crucify me jor. If the senior man no gree return the money, I believe say another way go de to take settle the issue.
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by Nobody: 5:11pm On Apr 16, 2015
suggyspic:

bros, you harsh oh.

I de feeeel you daaaaaaaaaaai!
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by holatin(m): 9:01pm On Apr 16, 2015
suggyspic:

bros, you harsh oh.
na fact ooo
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by Badgers14: 10:57pm On Apr 16, 2015
suggyspic:

this is the very reason Emenike want his bride price. The wife have been disturbing him to ask her father for the bride price. Maybe she has meet another man and her father refuse to listen to the new husband.

In this case, the man need not worry about anything then, the lady should talk to her father.
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by garyaustin(m): 8:14am On Apr 17, 2015
prophetfire:
your point no 3 is wrong. Emenike can marry another bcs they married only traditionaly.no court marriage was done.
you did not read me well. I mentioned " statutory " which means he cannot marry another in court. yes I agree he can marry as many as he can under traditional law and custom.
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by asadike(f): 2:55pm On Apr 19, 2015
swedbase:

Hahaha illiteracy is when you think every Igbo person lives in your dirty slum village called lagos. You can only dream of where i currently lives. anu gboko
dalu nwokeoma, great defender of umu igbo.

1 Like

Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by swedbase(m): 4:25pm On Apr 19, 2015
asadike:
dalu nwokeoma, great defender of umu igbo.

Bless you asa ndi Igbo world wide.

1 Like

Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by asadike(f): 6:30pm On Apr 19, 2015
swedbase:

Bless you asa ndi Igbo world wide.
Lol. nnam, u re still following my other moniker 'asandigbo'?

1 Like

Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by swedbase(m): 6:52pm On Apr 19, 2015
asadike:
Lol. nnam, u re still following my other moniker 'asandigbo'?

No but i still remember thatgrin I used it in searching for your facebook but grin grin
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by asadike(f): 4:32pm On Apr 20, 2015
swedbase:

No but i still remember thatgrin I used it in searching for your facebook but grin grin
Lol! So u ve been after me for long? Nwa idi kwa too much.
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by Ndipe(m): 2:33am On Apr 30, 2015
According to certain traditions, the bride price is only refunded if the woman hasnt given birth to the man.
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by tpiadotcom: 2:40am On Apr 30, 2015
Isn't it embarassing though, to go around asking for your brideprice back?

Sounds very unmanly imo.
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by somegirl1: 12:46pm On May 05, 2015
tpiadotcom:
Isn't it embarassing though, to go around asking for your brideprice back?

Sounds very unmanly imo.

Not if it's the tradition.
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by leederrty1997: 11:05pm On May 23, 2015
Bride price is non refundable, simple! Once it has been paid, it has been paid for ever, this is our culture.
For more about Nigerian culture- Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba, lifestyle in the 60s, places and legends in Nigeria, visit
www.oldnaija.
and thank me later.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Having A Sixth Finger / "I Am Not A Yahoo Yahoo Oba" - Oluwo Of Iwo Refuses To Appear Before Court / What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.