Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,819 members, 7,806,301 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:24 PM

Arsene Wenger And Arsenal Should Aim Higher For Titles - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Arsene Wenger And Arsenal Should Aim Higher For Titles (384 Views)

Manchester United And Arsenal Dedicated Sunday Game To The Support Of LGBT / Nwakali And Chukwueze With Arsene Wenger & Nwankwo (Photos) / Manchester United And Arsenal Fans Hijack Liverpool's 'player Of The Year' Poll (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Arsene Wenger And Arsenal Should Aim Higher For Titles by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:20pm On Apr 14, 2015
[b]Arsenal legend Frank McLintock insists that Alexi Sanchez is the only Arsenal player of this present Arsenal team that would be able to play for Arsenal's great teams of the past.

McLintock made 403 appearances for Arsenal from 1963 to 1973.

Alexi Sanchez impact for Arsenal this season impressed McLintock and he voiced his admiration for the Arsenal fans favorite player.

Speaking to Perform, he said: "I heard it said recently how many of the Arsenal side would get into past Arsenal sides?

"They said probably [Alexis] Sanchez and that's not too far away. Two or three others would come close."

Arsenal sits second on the English Premier League table and Arsenal won their past eight league matches. Alexi Sanchez hard work and determination did not go unnoticed by pundits, fans and Arsene Wenger.

McLintock does not see Arsenal a threat to the runaway League leaders of the English Premier League, Chelsea. Chelsea are seven points clear of Arsenal with a game to play against Leicester City.

"No I don't [think Arsenal are contenders] actually. I think when you look at Chelsea they haven't got any real weaknesses," he added.

"Their only problem recently is [Diego] Costa being injured. [Didier] Drogba has been one of the best centre forwards we've seen in this country, but he's past his best.

"Loic Remy was injured on Sunday and they lacked a bit of cutting edge up front, but I do feel they haven't got many weaknesses and I can see them seeing it through.

"It might be quite tight but Arsenal have a couple of tough games against Manchester United and Chelsea.

McLintock wants Arsenal to change their mentality of accepting the UEFA Champions League qualification as a season's target and aim higher for titles next season.

"I think we have to be a bit better than we are," he said. "But they're doing well. I'm happy they're doing well, it's a good sign. They've got lots of money behind them and the debt is under control and has been for two or three years.

"I don't want to see Arsenal talking about getting top four, I can't believe they're setting their standards that low. They should be talking about wanting to win the championship and winning our first European Cup.

"I don't want to see us talking as though getting fourth place is good enough, we should be aiming our sights much higher."

Alexi Sanchez and Mesut Ozil's additions to Arsenal have made Arsenal a formidable side for teams to face. Last season, Arsenal won the FA Cup and this season, they have shown that they can compete for titles.

As the summer transfer window approaches, Arsene Wenger should go for targets that will make Arsenal a side feared by top clubs.

Arsene Wenger should target players who can compete for places in clubs like Real Madrid and Barcelona.

Arsene Wenger should get rid of players who are surplus to the club. It is time for the Gunners to change their mentality and build a team as great as the great Arsenal teams of the past.

http://footymail..com/2015/04/arsene-wenger-and-arsenal-should-aim.html[/b]
Re: Arsene Wenger And Arsenal Should Aim Higher For Titles by Myself2(m): 5:01pm On Apr 17, 2015
Very well said

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Leicester City Vs Manchester United ( Watch Live: 4pm ) / Order For Your Original 2016/17 Clubjersey / MANCHESTER UNITED: Happy Anniversary Sir Alex Ferguson

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.