Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,205 members, 7,807,693 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:35 PM

Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution (32134 Views)

How Senate Rules Were ‘amended’ For Saraki, Ekweremadu’s Elections – Clerk / How Adoke Misled GEJ Into Withdrawing Assent To Amended Constitution– Ekweremadu / President Reveals : Why I Didn’t Sign Amended Constitution – Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by Gpw7643: 8:34am On Apr 15, 2015
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by Sunnycliff(m): 8:35am On Apr 15, 2015
Does it mean that Ike Ekweremadu and his allies don't no constitutional law?
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by galadima77(m): 8:38am On Apr 15, 2015
is it just me that feels May 29 is so so far away?

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by Chigold101(m): 8:39am On Apr 15, 2015
estyvino:
Abeg, who won Abuja governorship elehsion?
i hope you are JOKING...

Lolzzz Abuja Governor keh!?
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by Nobody: 8:39am On Apr 15, 2015
nduchucks:

I see you have a good understanding of the process. The article sensationalized the ceremonial signing off you mentioned. Most people believe that the President can actually veto or reject the said Amendments and my post was really meant to point out the inaccuracy of such a position.

The NASS can still move forward with the Amendments and send them to the states for approval. If that happens, the courts will strike down the provisions which call for state creation, because they did not obtain the required four-fifth approval.

The legislators know better than to include state creation in the list of approved amendments when the 80% approval threshold was not met. GEJ may have exposed the 419 the legislators attempted to perpetrate, or exposed their gross incompetence and irresponsibility.

Thank you. I'm learning here.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by anwo247: 8:42am On Apr 15, 2015
They shd return the ammendment during 8th Assembly.... GMB will sign anything and deny thereafter...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by UncleSnr(m): 8:44am On Apr 15, 2015
estyvino:
Abeg, who won Abuja governorship elehsion?
Bala Buhari Okechukwu
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by brownlord: 8:45am On Apr 15, 2015
egift:
Jonathan should stop signing any new documents, except those regarding his hand over. He had 6 years to do all that. The ones he signed, Nigerians are yet to review it all.

Robot!

read and comprehend now

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by homesteady(m): 8:45am On Apr 15, 2015
Caseless:
I can't wait for may 29th to get this clueless man off my head. angry

Na wa oh! are you an APC robot? did you even read the article!

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by anwo247: 8:46am On Apr 15, 2015
galadima77:
is it just me that feels May 29 is so so far away?

Not only you o.... I feel like GMB shd start today and lets see.......now he is all over the places talking too much and mounting battles for himself.

To be successful in a democratic setting, you need be buoyant and magnanimous; he is so clueless about what this mean.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by anwo247: 8:50am On Apr 15, 2015
homesteady:

No need calling him APC robot, your good intention is making it sound like repetition/tautology. APC followers are already robot. They are robotic in nature grin

For you to be a Buhari follower, you need to be either a poor/broke educated fellow, or an illiterate dude. Out of your frustration, the only thing that might make sense to you is CHANGE.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by harry509: 8:51am On Apr 15, 2015
gratiaeo:
President Goodluck Jonathan has rejected the amendments made to the 1999 Constitution by the National Assembly, The PUNCH has learnt.

A top government official who pleaded anonymity told our correspondent on Tuesday that Jonathan vetoed the amendment on Monday.

The official said the decision of the President not to sign the document was because the amendment did not meet the provisions of Section 9 (3) of the 1999 Constitution.

The source explained that with the return of the document by the President, the letter accompanying it might be read on the floors of the two chambers of the National Assembly any time from Wednesday (today).

He said, “The President has vetoed the constitution amendment and he has sent it back to the National Assembly.

“The amendment did not meet the provision of Section 9 (3) of the constitution which talks about the need for four fifth of the National Assembly to agree with the amendment.”

Section 9 (3) of the Constitution reads:

“An Act of the National Assembly for the purpose of altering the provisions of this section, section 8 or Chapter IV of this Constitution shall not be passed by either House of the National Assembly unless the proposal is approved by the votes of not less than four-fifths majority of all the members of each House, and also approved by resolution of the House of Assembly of not less than two-third of all states.”

The rejected amended constitution granted approval for the separation of the office of the Attorney-General of the Federation from that of Minister/Commissioner of Justice
http://www.punchng.com/news/jonathan-rejects-amended-constitution/
pls NL I wana know wat kind of provisions d section 9(3) is abt, bcus nig constutitions is full of confusion.
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by ekika(m): 8:55am On Apr 15, 2015
pls u guys should allow jona rest before he leaves office.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by anonimi: 8:57am On Apr 15, 2015
Pavore9:

Let us experience another feel after 16 years.

......of which 8 years was by OBJ the navigator of APC, not so

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by pero45: 8:57am On Apr 15, 2015
Can you e_diots respect yourselves and let him work till may 29...do you want to teach him his job?.......people who can't even win community elections.....people ee eh

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by TopHand: 8:59am On Apr 15, 2015
nduchucks:

I see you have a good understanding of the process. The article sensationalized the ceremonial signing off you mentioned. Most people believe that the President can actually veto or reject the said Amendments and my post was really meant to point out the inaccuracy of such a position.

The NASS can still move forward with the Amendments and send them to the states for approval. If that happens, the courts will strike down the provisions which call for state creation, because they did not obtain the required four-fifth approval.

The legislators know better than to include state creation in the list of approved amendments when the 80% approval threshold was not met. GEJ may have exposed the 419 the legislators attempted to perpetrate, or exposed their gross incompetence and irresponsibility.
I always knew GEJ is an intelligent person if let alone to work and think 4 himself, unfortunately he never had the chance he was surrounded by wolves, his wife who should hav been a pillar of moral support turned out to b leader of the pack, lookin at him one can c he is a moderate man surround by the right people could have done something 4 nigeria, alaas it was not 2 b so, my advice to GEJ leave yur wife and go on an educational study aboard if not this yur wife will send u to an early grave

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by hush15: 9:01am On Apr 15, 2015
Ilekeh:
Look who suddenly remembers his math.

Why couldn't he remember that 99 is greater than 9 during the Ekiti saga?

I will answer this one for you:

One is because the 99 that you talk about where not in hiding in another country,

Two is because he is president means he inteferes in state business

Three is because he is simply just doing his job.

So let's stop acting ungratefully. If he passed it all the same, it is still the likes of you that would still condemn him should APC raise a comment on same....
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by Caseless: 9:05am On Apr 15, 2015
homesteady:

I did and he gave his reasons as non-compliance with some section of the constitution.

I'm tired of hearing his name. Or what don't u get? angry
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by Pavore9: 9:12am On Apr 15, 2015
anonimi:

......of which 8 years was by OBJ the navigator of APC, not so

l am entitled to my opinion and l expressed it! cool
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by anonimi: 9:18am On Apr 15, 2015
Pavore9:

l am entitled to my opinion and l expressed it! cool

Where did I say you are not entitled to your opinion
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by stigman(m): 9:20am On Apr 15, 2015
loomer:
Everybody don de form like say na them know constitution pass

You dey mind all this MUMU wey full here, wey no dey fit talk for police front

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by Pavore9: 9:31am On Apr 15, 2015
anonimi:

Where did I say you are not entitled to your opinion

Bros, it is too early for this...extends my hand of fellowship. l wan enter Nairobi CBD go hustle! cheesy
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by Pinkybush: 9:32am On Apr 15, 2015
Caseless:
I can't wait for may 29th to get this clueless man off my head. angry
I'm not surprise where this comment is coming from, maybe like father like son A Careless comment from a Caseless human being.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by nortcentrallord(m): 9:43am On Apr 15, 2015
egift:
Jonathan should stop signing any new documents, except those regarding his hand over. He had 6 years to do all that. The ones he signed, Nigerians are yet to review it all.

Go back and read the post again.

Go back and complete reading it.

Now take sometime to digest it.

Oya, comment now. FP is not by force cheesy grin.

Grow up and stop exhibiting impetuous attitude.
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by Tobilastik(m): 9:44am On Apr 15, 2015
aanumama:
If oga has been doing his job effectively from day1 , we won't has vote you out.
Please veto all documents sent to you and avoid wuruwuru from the lawmakers, so the small reputation you've earned when you conceded defeat won't be ruined!
Seriously, what will be the job of minister or commissioner for justice
No more useless, figurehead posts abeg!
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by toprealman: 9:52am On Apr 15, 2015
nduchucks:
Nonsense!!

Only the National Assembly may alter any of the provisions of the Constitution after which the amendmends must be approved by resolution of the Houses of Assembly of not less than two-thirds of all the States.

The President has no authority to reject any doggone Amendment approved by NASS.

The four-fifth rule applies to State creation and Chapter 4 (Fundamental Rights). All other amendments to any provision only needs the said two-thirds majority approval.
WHAT AN IGNORANT FOOL YOU ARE.
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by freshdude99(m): 10:02am On Apr 15, 2015
nduchucks:
Nonsense!!

Only the National Assembly may alter any of the provisions of the Constitution after which the amendmends must be approved by resolution of the Houses of Assembly of not less than two-thirds of all the States.

The President has no authority to reject any doggone Amendment approved by NASS.

The four-fifth rule applies to State creation and Chapter 4 (Fundamental Rights). All other amendments to any provision only needs the said two-thirds majority approval.
Village champion. Perpetually blind shocked shocked
Omo woju ur eyes o shocked shocked shocked
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by Osakah24(m): 10:04am On Apr 15, 2015
All those hawks that joined the change brigade,i hope they really meant change.because by 2019 we all will know that there are no short cut to justice.
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by LTSHANGY: 10:05am On Apr 15, 2015
nduchucks:
Nonsense!!

You definitely know NOTHING about the Nigerian constitution
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by okestev: 10:15am On Apr 15, 2015
anwo247:
They shd return the ammendment during 8th Assembly.... GMB will sign anything and deny thereafter...
...Please STOP THIS! i think it is just too early for you to start your ''dirty criticism'', for Heaven's sake the man has not even bn sworn in. We Nigerians should see how we can be a Pillar to support GMB with our prayers and good words that can build and encourage, rather than to remain a Carterpillar.... GMB never contradited himself... I watched him speaking...He said,''he his seriously concerned if the Chibok Girls are still alive, he said IF NOT, he wont promise that his govt will rescue them, but if they are still alive, his govt will find them and rescue them''
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by Nobody: 10:35am On Apr 15, 2015
nduchucks:
Nonsense!!

He has rejected it, so what will you do? Nothing! Even the house can do nothing!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

COVID-19: Buhari Urges Nigerians In Lagos, Abuja To Stay At Home / Arrest PDP's Secondus, Stir Up The Colony Of Wahala - Dino Melaye Tells FG, APC / Ohanaeze Ndigbo Disowns Statement On Nnamdi Kanu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.