Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,785 members, 7,802,440 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:28 PM

Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution (32123 Views)

How Senate Rules Were ‘amended’ For Saraki, Ekweremadu’s Elections – Clerk / How Adoke Misled GEJ Into Withdrawing Assent To Amended Constitution– Ekweremadu / President Reveals : Why I Didn’t Sign Amended Constitution – Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by Curvinus(m): 10:37am On Apr 15, 2015
This is a public forum gentlemen and you don't just make laughable and ridiculous statements
without facts to back them up.

Posters take their time to craft beaufitul piece, only for some obnoxious jerks to call them names without giving reasons why they are disagreeing.

Stop upsetting our groove if you have nothing meaningful to say. Take your hatred and bigotry outside please.
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by egift(m): 10:40am On Apr 15, 2015

brownlord:
Robot!

read and comprehend now

nortcentrallord:
Go back and read the post again.

Go back and complete reading it.

Now take sometime to digest it.

Oya, comment now. FP is not by force cheesy grin.

Grow up and stop exhibiting impetuous attitude.

We don't care about the details and limitations of the bill. Let him not sign any other thing. Just hand over and leave.
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by cocoduck: 11:26am On Apr 15, 2015
what is the amendment about?
egift is a maggot
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by Rosecute02(f): 11:33am On Apr 15, 2015
[color=#990000][/color] I like GEJ but the likes of Suswam of Benue State, Orubebe, Fayose, Mama Peace help him to loose this election
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by maclatunji: 11:43am On Apr 15, 2015
PrettyClare7:
lawmakers trying to circumvent the law only God knows what is in dat amended law that they dont want the state house of assembly to see. They were hoping GEJ would be clueless as to what is law.

Stop writing ignorantly. The ammendment bill has been passed by at least 2/3rd of the State Houses of Assembly

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by san316(m): 11:57am On Apr 15, 2015
He's now working in line with GMB. He knows that gmb wants a lean government and separating the office is not in line with that.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by eagleeyez: 12:19pm On Apr 15, 2015
nduchucks:
Nonsense!!

Only the National Assembly may alter any of the provisions of the Constitution after which the amendmends must be approved by resolution of the Houses of Assembly of not less than two-thirds of all the States.

The President has no authority to reject any doggone Amendment approved by NASS.

The four-fifth rule applies to State creation and Chapter 4 (Fundamental Rights). All other amendments to any provision only needs the said two-thirds majority approval.

Am sorry but I don't understand u. President has veto .....please explain, as am confused
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by eagleeyez: 12:21pm On Apr 15, 2015
san316:
He's now working in line with GMB. He knows that gmb wants a lean government and separating the office is not in line with that.

Who cares as long as that super corrup mohammed adoke gets off that sit
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by sammybhaws(m): 12:21pm On Apr 15, 2015
Wetin concern me.. cry
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by nduchucks: 12:39pm On Apr 15, 2015
eagleeyez:

Am sorry but I don't understand u. President has veto .....please explain, as am confused

Please read my other posts on this thread. The President can veto Bills but not Amendments to the constitution.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by eagleeyez: 12:49pm On Apr 15, 2015
nduchucks:

Please read my other posts on this thread. The President can veto Bills but not Amendments to the constitution.

I don't need to read your other posts. Can a law be ammended with out the presifent of a countrying signing off? Are u saying legislative arm of govt are to an extent a power on their own

Please I don't need your response.
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by ademusiwa7: 1:17pm On Apr 15, 2015
Only 26 state can amend the constitution of nigeria by. A simple majority. the service they offer us they offer benin republic too electricity . Etc even niger republic. western nigeria constitution is unwritten constitution. That i emperor. benin repblic and niger republic does not amend nigeria constitution. the service they offer is thé only one we can talk about. this is why jonathan need to hand all government properties to western nigeria govt.

You delete the western nigeria 10 states they claim it is western Nigeria from the constitution of Nigeria. Leaving only 26 states. it is only passport, you provide us.. and that is all that need to be there. until we get our passport.

You delete the 10 state of western nigeria from the Nigeria constitution.. We use to elect chief which serve in the council of the oba.. Apart from regular chief.
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by ademusiwa7: 1:21pm On Apr 15, 2015
People cant burn properties because in the last 50 years the northerners and easterner have not been paying taxes . Given excuse. We are not going to pay for what only us pay taxes given too.
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by ademusiwa7: 1:54pm On Apr 15, 2015
The 10 states in Western Nigeria are not recognized state by the constitution of Western Nigeria.
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by ebosed: 2:50pm On Apr 15, 2015
CFCfan:

I was wondering too. There is no need to separate the offices of the Attorney-general and minister of justice. Just like it's done in the US, the title "minister of justice" could be dropped.

I concur but they should make it impossible for the president to unilatarally sack the A G. Just like the INEC chairman to protect and guaranty his objectivity.
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by Smooth278(m): 3:04pm On Apr 15, 2015
Caseless:
I can't wait for may 29th to get this clueless man off my head. angry

Hmmm, why don't you just cut it off
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by annylove(f): 3:12pm On Apr 15, 2015
Caseless:
I can't wait for may 29th to get this clueless man off my head. angry
For a whole human being to be on ur head how do u sleep at nite.
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by Caseless: 3:21pm On Apr 15, 2015
annylove:
For a whole human being to be on ur head how do u sleep at nite.
I just sleep on ur chest. undecided
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by Nobody: 3:22pm On Apr 15, 2015
ebosed:

I concur but they should make it impossible for the president to unilatarally sack the A G. Just like the INEC chairman to protect and guaranty his objectivity.
That would be a novel concept. The AG could be a retired judge, or a non-partisan lawyer.
In effect, your proposal would make the AG the most powerful minister in the cabinet.
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by annylove(f): 3:25pm On Apr 15, 2015
Caseless:
I just sleep on ur chest. undecided
Bravo good for u then.
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by Thereishel: 3:51pm On Apr 15, 2015
Jonathan promised to sign the constitution amendments before election. He is now angry because he lost election and he now refused to sign it
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by 2n2k(m): 4:57pm On Apr 15, 2015
eagleeyez:

I don't need to read your other posts. Can a law be ammended with out the presifent of a countrying signing off? Are u saying legislative arm of govt are to an extent a power on their own

Please I don't need your response.

The constitution is silent on whether the president should assent any amendments to it. The process of amending the constitution is different from ordinary federal bills because it involves concurrence of at least 24 states' house of assembly.

The issue came up during the first amendment in 2011 (to confirm) when David Mark as senate president pronounced the constitution amended based on his belief that presidential assent was not required. GEJ kicked and the National Assembly threatened to go to court for interpretation but eventually succumbed after the party leaders intervened. GEJ eventually signed the first amendments.

In the current amendments which the president reportedly vetoed, the legislators specifically put the clause there that presidential assent shall no longer be required for constitutional amendments henceforth. If and when GEJ sign the current amendments, that will be the last time, a president will ever sign amendments to the constitution.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by Caseless: 5:05pm On Apr 15, 2015
annylove:
Bravo good for u then.
good for you, too.
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by annylove(f): 9:19pm On Apr 15, 2015
Caseless:
good for you, too.
good for you too.
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by Nobody: 9:43pm On Apr 15, 2015
After close to 6 years in power, it is time that Jonathan stops signing any documents. He should just mainatain things till May 29th when he packs out of Aso Rock.
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by jpphilips(m): 11:19am On Apr 16, 2015
nduchucks:
Nonsense!!

Only the National Assembly may alter any of the provisions of the Constitution after which the amendmends must be approved by resolution of the Houses of Assembly of not less than two-thirds of all the States.

The President has no authority to reject any doggone Amendment approved by NASS.

The four-fifth rule applies to State creation and Chapter 4 (Fundamental Rights). All other amendments to any provision only needs the said two-thirds majority approval.

Do you understand what a "veto" means and why it is called a presidential privilege?
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by jpphilips(m): 11:26am On Apr 16, 2015
Badgers14:

The president has constitutional power to veto any bill passed by the house/senate. And likewise the house/senate has the power to override his veto. Usually politicians don't go the later route even though it is constitutional. Be mindful though that the override must pass both chambers and sometimes the ruling party might have the vote for the override on one chamber and not the other, henceforth the override can't stand.

Veto is a presidential privilege as such cannot be overridden by any arm of Government, it does not apply to only Nigeria alone, Just recently, Obama used his veto to remove some sanctions from president Rouhani of Iran, even the congress inviting Netanyahu to address the house did not upturn that veto.
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by jpphilips(m): 11:54am On Apr 16, 2015
I think you guys should listen to this okey guy on this issue

"Omololu Ogunmade's report here that the President had signed but later withdrew his assent because of advisers who pretended to be working for the President's interest is one of the most thoughtless reports I have seen in recent time. It cannot be differentiated from one of those "highly informed" opinions usually expressed in most liquor parlours in Nigeria.

This is even more the time to commend Jonathan for acting most statesmanly - removing personal interest, vindictiveness and "let them be caught in their own trap" mentality - in his most crucial final national assignment in office. Let me explain: One of the most ridiculous amendment proposed by the National Assembly was the one that says, once the assemblies agree on amendment of any section of the Constitution, the presidential assent shall stand discarded. The primary target in that proposition was Jonathan himself. They thought that Jonathan was going to manipulate his way back to office and therefore sought to create certain legal structures and lay landmines that will severely whittle his presidential powers and effectiveness. The lawmakers deceived themselves that they were copying America but without first asking themselves whether ours is exactly America's history. That's a facade, their main and only reason was to hamstring Jonathan. If Jonathan is not a statesman to the core, or were he made in the mold of his opponents, he would have rushed to sign an amendment that will tie Buhari's hand or make his office almost meaningless when he assumes it, knowing he (Buhari) belongs to the same party as most of the legislators, and because Jonathan has NOTHING PERSONAL to loose or gain if he signs it. But that's not Jonathan.

I think rather than walking on that notorious path of "advisers that misled Jonathan," serious journalists should look at the bigger picture which is Nigeria, a picture that Jonathan has considered over and above his personal interest. A serious journalist should begin to write on why "patriotic" legislators refused to guarantee local government autonomy which Nigerians trooped out to the Senate/House public hearings to demand but rushed to propose amendment which rubbishes the seal of the number one office in this country. Were Jonathan to be vindictive and not a statesman, he would have sigend the bill. The legislators left existential issues that place challenges on our corportae existence but embarked on issues of supremacy of power between the Executive and the Legislature. Jonathan did the right thing by rejecting to leave a booby trap for the incoming President. He should be commended, not redicled with beer parlour narratives."

The legislators would have crippled Buhari and the much desired change will not be felt by the people, they wanted to indirectly create a state where thieving legislators will be calling the shots and the president their madam.
This can also be interpreted that Buhari is determined to cut down the NA budget, by indirectly sending a budget message of high recurrent expenditure, the NA actually wanted to block that move with this Constitutional amendment knowing that Jonathan has nothing to loose and may be tempted to seek revenge for his defeat.
First time in 5yrs Jonathan has impressed me!!
Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by nduchucks: 11:58am On Apr 16, 2015
jpphilips:

Do you understand what a "veto" means and why it is called a presidential privilege?

Under our constitution, the President is not authorized to veto constitutional amendments. He has the constitutional authority to veto bills.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by Badgers14: 12:52pm On Apr 16, 2015
jpphilips:

Veto is a presidential privilege as such cannot be overridden by any arm of Government, it does not apply to only Nigeria alone, Just recently, Obama used his veto to remove some sanctions from president Rouhani of Iran, even the congress inviting Netanyahu to address the house did not upturn that veto.

Sir, I believe you could use some help here. First congress inviting Netanyahu was just a way for him to improve his public statues in Israel ( his elections were around the corner at the time and he faced strong opposition, his ratings went down during that time). His visits has nothing to do with Vetoes, votes on vetoes are strictly for elected members of congress. Also don't forget that the president recently issued the said executive orders after the deal with Iran was successful ( maybe that was part of the deal?).
Also, do you know why the Republicans went to court to block Obama's executive actions on immigration? because they do not have the votes in both chambers to Override his Veto. ( and Obama knows that because he is a Harvard Trained lawyer and a former Professor of "Constitutional law" in university of Chicago- Chicago IL.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by jpphilips(m): 3:56pm On Apr 16, 2015
Badgers14:

Sir, I believe you could use some help here. First congress inviting Netanyahu was just a way for him to improve his public statues in Israel ( his elections were around the corner at the time and he faced strong opposition, his ratings went down during that time). His visits has nothing to do with Vetoes, votes on vetoes are strictly for elected members of congress. Also don't forget that the president recently issued the said executive orders after the deal with Iran was successful ( maybe that was part of the deal?).
Also, do you know why the Republicans went to court to block Obama's executive actions on immigration? because they do not have the votes in both chambers to Override his Veto. ( and Obama knows that because he is a Harvard Trained lawyer and a former Professor of "Constitutional law" in university of Chicago- Chicago IL.

The posts were written in blue fonts to enhance visibility, where you respond with that contraption above, I will definitely overrule blindness but I will suspect comprehension issues, at this point, I will have to make it clear that I don't do well with those kinda people, most times I take it personal, I need no rubbish on my mention.

Nobody said that Netanyahu went to address congress to change Obama's veto, how you arrived there is where I need to wonder whether English is that difficult, you can stick with your fellow confucianists next time.
And to believe that someone who has comprehension problems can really offer "practical help" murders logic.

To be clear, the last paragraph of that post is just there to emphasize "how far congress went" to garner public support for their motive, because being an ally with a plethora of lobbyists in congress already knows that his message will be hinged on his recurrent paranoia; how deadly Iran is, and how much a threat she is to the stability of the middle east.

Re: Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution by jpphilips(m): 4:13pm On Apr 16, 2015
nduchucks:

Under our constitution, the President is not authorized to veto constitutional amendments. He has the constitutional authority to veto bills.

Are you sure you have read the Nigerian constitution before??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Charles Ogbu Takes Joe Igbokwe To The Cleaners [MUST READ] / Omotola Pledges Support For Buhari pix / Tinubu: Time For Politicking Is Over — We Must Begin The Healing Process

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.